Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ignore that advice. Play through it as a rookie and pick a consistent point of view for your character.

Then, try to weasel out the motivations between different factions, then play it again trying to appease some that you think would be fun together.

Then, play again directly opposing those decisions.

After that, have fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The most important thing to know is to specialize in the Pistol skill, the game's not a great shooter regardless but pistols at least give you a chainshot ability that lets you effctively skip boss fights by emptying a dozen hollowpoint rounds into a dude as time stands still.

Also levelling up your Sabotage skill until you get the Interference ability which lets you skip hacking minigames by sacrificing an EMP grenade. Totally worth it, especially if playing with m+kb.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Guy Mann posted:

The most important thing to know is to specialize in the Pistol skill, the game's not a great shooter regardless but pistols at least give you a chainshot ability that lets you effctively skip boss fights by emptying a dozen hollowpoint rounds into a dude as time stands still.

Also levelling up your Sabotage skill until you get the Interference ability which lets you skip hacking minigames by sacrificing an EMP grenade. Totally worth it, especially if playing with m+kb.

Everyone says do the chainshot pistol thing. I quite enjoyed just building a character around assault rifles and occasional shotgun.

Build a character you enjoy for the first time through. You're a rookie, you don't know any better anyway.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Shotgun rear end in a top hat Mike with a giant beard is obligatory at some point, however.

Or backwards cap dual wielding douchebag Thorton.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

All of the guns are pretty decent if you put enough skill points into them (except SMGs because they are trash garbage) but with Shotguns you're gonna have a bit of a range problem and getting close enough to bosses to actually get the full damage of the shotgun is just asking to get meleed which is VERY bad.

Also i might be misremebering but doesn't the challenge level of the hacking games actually scale up with you based on how good you are at it? To the point where it gets drat near impossible to actually complete.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Also i might be misremebering but doesn't the challenge level of the hacking games actually scale up with you based on how good you are at it? To the point where it gets drat near impossible to actually complete.

The difficulty of the minigames increases as the game progresses and leveling up your hacking skill makes the difficulty level of the minigames lower, so if you put points in it as you then the difficulty stays more or less constant throughout the game. But if you want to skip it entirely you have to invest in a completely separate skill, Sabotage, to do so.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I got an arcade stick recently so I've been playing a lot of classic 2D fighters. I love the attract sequences on Capcom's VS games. So hype:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtqwMz2ITcc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTBvVudFXZw

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 12:01 on Jul 15, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

One thing about Spec Ops: The Line I remember thinking was interesting was that when they tried to put in actual choices, i.e. earlier designs allowed you to go back home with the intel re. survivors or you could choose not to use W.P., players inevitably went for the more 'moral' choice.

This is why the game was a good experiment, but Undertale did it better.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Samovar posted:

One thing about Spec Ops: The Line I remember thinking was interesting was that when they tried to put in actual choices, i.e. earlier designs allowed you to go back home with the intel re. survivors or you could choose not to use W.P., players inevitably went for the more 'moral' choice.

This is why the game was a good experiment, but Undertale did it better.

There's a tiny indie game on Steam called Mayhem Triple that has probably one of my favorite examples of player choice in meta game plots.

The game is a solid and surprisingly engaging side-scrolling shooter with some puzzle platforming,but the plot is mostly just an excuse to shoot things: An army of bunnies from outer space show up and invade, are you a bad enough dude to stop them? At the end end of the game when you kill the bunny commander he gloats about how even though you've killed him you've still lost because Earth has been taken over, and the finale is diving out of of their space station to catch a wayward time machine and send yourself back to the start of the game to try over. The second time through everyone has different dialogue and all of your equipment and experience carries over, but when you beat the game it's the same deal where you failed to stop the earth from being taken over. From there the player can play through the game over and over forever, but if you explore and take advantage of your upgrades eventually you can fight your way through a secret laboratory to get the hidden ultimate weapon: A gun that shoots syringes of Rabbit AIDS. Once you acquire it, if you shoot enough bunny enemies with the needles without killing them then eventually enemies will start spawning suffering from AIDS. This time when you make it to the final boss he is truly defeated, thanks to the plague his army has died off and Earth is free.

So with everything done and the day saved the player character is left standing in a single screen with the time machine sitting on the other side of it. He muses that he has succeeded in saving the world and killing the bad guys yet he feels bored...unfulfilled...almost as if his entire life was about killing space bunnies, and now that the game is complete he doesn't have a reason to exist. With that, you have two options: Quit the game and let world enjoy its peace, or walk over to the time machine and once again subject them to alien genocide all over again just so you have an excuse to play through the game all over again.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Total War: Warhammer is a fantastic game that is easily the best offering we're likely to see in years. But there's little touches that push it from being excellent to being seriously impressive. Like the fact that they actually worked a language into the Dwarven race and then inscribed it into runes on the citadels. And on the artillery rocks their side fires. Presumably the latter is basically Dwarven for "gently caress you.". They took being a nerd to master class levels and it loving owns.

Likewise, if you get the elite version of their basic artillery unit you'll notice that it's description mentions that the dwarves manning it tend to go out and capture goblins to strap to the rocks before sending them screaming towards enemy lines. If you're good enough with the camera you can in fact pause it and see that yes there is in fact a goblin strapped to the boulder. Unpausing it and following the rock to it's destination reveals that said goblin is in fact shrieking in terror the entire time.

The orcs have a similar version where goblins strap a dwarf to a boulder and send him cursing and screaming towards the enemy of the hour.

There's also raiding. Raiding is a bit of a divisive topic over whether it's balanced or not due to the fact that you can raid your own provinces. You'd think this would incur penalties, but it actually does exactly the opposite barring an army rising up in outrage to try and take the province from you.

This doesn't make sense until you read the lore and realize that this is exactly how some of the nations and races support themselves during times of crisis. The Empire often has elector counts just outright pillage outlying settlements for resources, while the vampires go on feeding frenzies and then raise the bodies for spare troops, while the orcs just want to fight. This is part of the justification for why factions can fight each other, because everyone in Warhammer is utterly bonkers and itching for a scrap. No one gives a poo poo about raiding one's own lands outside of Bretonnia because it's business as usual for them.

Archonex has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Jul 15, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

The difficulty of the minigames increases as the game progresses and leveling up your hacking skill makes the difficulty level of the minigames lower, so if you put points in it as you then the difficulty stays more or less constant throughout the game. But if you want to skip it entirely you have to invest in a completely separate skill, Sabotage, to do so.
It's extremely worth it, because you don't have to get much sabotage to be able to carry around a massive number of EMPs - you can carry stacks of them in almost every slot, and later gear has tons of item slots. You don't have to put many points into sabotage to be walking around with 20 or 30 "skip minigame" buttons.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

one of the bosses in Russia is really difficult unless you do Taiwan first so like poptart_fairy suggested, it's smart to go to different hubs rather than just plowing through each hub in turn.

Taiwan also probably has the best antagonist character, plus gets real quick into dealing with the best faction in the game.

Also people have been recommending pistols, and definitely 100% get chain shot, but don't forget that the stealth tree has an ability to literally just go invisible.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

In Impossible Creatures you build armies of combined animals. For skirmish mode they included the characters from the campaign and their armies to fight against/with/as. Everyone's creature names are portmanteaus of the constituent animals, so you've got your Porculions and Lobsty Owls and so on, except the main character, whose critters are named "Chomper" and "Princess" and other pet names

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

RentACop posted:

In Impossible Creatures you build armies of combined animals. For skirmish mode they included the characters from the campaign and their armies to fight against/with/as. Everyone's creature names are portmanteaus of the constituent animals, so you've got your Porculions and Lobsty Owls and so on, except the main character, whose critters are named "Chomper" and "Princess" and other pet names

I'm so glad someone else remembers this game. That animal combiner was a lot of fun to mess around with. I loved rolling around with my army of elephants with mosquito wings.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TGLT posted:

Taiwan also probably has the best antagonist character, plus gets real quick into dealing with the best faction in the game.

The best antagonist character is the Russian guy who necessitates going to Taiwan.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

TUUUUUUUURN UP THE RAAAADIO

alpha protocol owns

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

World War Mammories posted:

TUUUUUUUURN UP THE RAAAADIO

alpha protocol owns

Brayko's bossfight is great. Like brawling in a disco.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

ilmucche posted:

Brayko's bossfight is great. Like brawling in a disco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8CcTYsMHYU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
wow, gamers have once again proven they are wrong about everything!!! Brayko's boss fight is great, but I like Omen Deng and Marburg as characters more.

I've been playing a lot of Super Mario Sunshine and I really like that the game lets you break some of their platforming puzzles. Sure I could ride this crane to another crane to a series of jump pads to whatever, or I can just use the hover nozzle to get on top of the crane's track. It's nice of the game to let you do semi-clever poo poo.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Archonex posted:

Total War: Warhammer is a fantastic game that is easily the best offering we're likely to see in years. But there's little touches that push it from being excellent to being seriously impressive. Like the fact that they actually worked a language into the Dwarven race and then inscribed it into runes on the citadels. And on the artillery rocks their side fires. Presumably the latter is basically Dwarven for "gently caress you.". They took being a nerd to master class levels and it loving owns.

Likewise, if you get the elite version of their basic artillery unit you'll notice that it's description mentions that the dwarves manning it tend to go out and capture goblins to strap to the rocks before sending them screaming towards enemy lines. If you're good enough with the camera you can in fact pause it and see that yes there is in fact a goblin strapped to the boulder. Unpausing it and following the rock to it's destination reveals that said goblin is in fact shrieking in terror the entire time.

The orcs have a similar version where goblins strap a dwarf to a boulder and send him cursing and screaming towards the enemy of the hour.

Another great little thing is the melee combat of the Fay Enchantress. For reference, this is her:

She's the legendary lord of the Carcassonne (read: pseudo-French) faction, dipping pretty heavily into the whole arthurian lady of the lake myth. She's basically the very image of the stereotypical magic user: lots of spells, wears only a flimsy dress, and when she's not riding an actual unicorn side-saddle she literally floats above the ground. She doesn't even carry any sort of weapon, and that's in a setting where even literally every other magic user rolls around with at least a sword by default (such as the Damsel behind and to the right of her in that image). So she's really not a character who you'd ever want to put into melee.

Except when you do, suddenly this happens:
http://i.imgur.com/vs0V3YV.mp4

That's right, she just picks dudes up and powerbombs their poo poo. She's still fairly vulnerable in melee combat, but she can absolutely ruin the day of any old line unit. It's pretty great how they went the extra mile to give this character a whole set of unique animations for a circumstance that you're pretty unlikely to ever get into in the first place.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Mike and Sean, gently caress yeah!!!

Horizon Zero Dawn: Tried the first Hunting Grounds area today. I like that the dude has what I assumed was a special message for if you clear the trial by the gold time limit on your first yet.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

TGLT posted:

the best faction in the game.

I can never be a dick to these guys, they are just too cool. I love it that Leland has no idea who they are and that they don't seem to exist, it just makes them so much more adept.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I picked up recruit and have just been the FNG through the tutorial and I'm dumped in the middle east now.

So at some point I'm going to get a choice of missions and I should just pop into each one for the introduction and then do w/e the gently caress I want with my idiot character? Got it.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Agent355 posted:

I picked up recruit and have just been the FNG through the tutorial and I'm dumped in the middle east now.

So at some point I'm going to get a choice of missions and I should just pop into each one for the introduction and then do w/e the gently caress I want with my idiot character? Got it.

Don't make decisions lightly. There's at least one in the Middle East that will directly affect what ending and final boss you can/will get.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Polaron posted:

Don't make decisions lightly. There's at least one in the Middle East that will directly affect what ending and final boss you can/will get.

Don't listen to that final boss malarkey. Make the decision you think is right in the moment and regret nothing. You were picked because you're the best, so your decisions will be the best.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Seriously, its a game best played purely on your instincts. Its a very short game for an rpg so if you actually like it youll play it again. If you didnt, well your single playthrough will at least have been your playthrough.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
Still playing Nier: Automata. Just got the ending where the final boss is the credits. This game has not stopped surprising and confusing me since I started it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The drone and jumper in Watch Dogs 2 are ruining all other open world games for me more than the entirety of Breath of the Wild. Especially coming off Mafia III. I'm making it my personal goal in this game to get out of the car as little as possible.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm sure it's explained by the plot later on or whatever, but Horizon's Alloy going between utter confusion about the ~The Ancient Ones~ having Magical Light Bracelets on their wrists, and apparently perfect understanding of machine robotics and topographical analysis is pretty hilarious.

Loving the smaller character interactions, but the main plot seems confused about itself at this point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm sure it's explained by the plot later on or whatever, but Horizon's Alloy going between utter confusion about the ~The Ancient Ones~ having Magical Light Bracelets on their wrists, and apparently perfect understanding of machine robotics and topographical analysis is pretty hilarious.

Loving the smaller character interactions, but the main plot seems confused about itself at this point.

The bracelets are something new to her, while she's had an entire lifetime of living alongside Machines (ie; animal robots) and playing with her Focus's navigation capabilities.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If she can figure out how to work a highly advanced fusion of machine intelligence and top end robotics, she can figure out a time piece and keyring. :colbert:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I thought it was more that the Focus was teaching her specific things she was asking about; so overriding a tallneck taught her about the topography in a super clear way, whereas a wristwatch and keys makes no sense, and the focus doesn't have a ready explanation either. Couple that with the fact that it's just old artifacts that other people just call "light bracelet" or "Ancient chimes" then you just call a spade a shovel.

In fact, one of the Unlock puzzles, she comments "This was how the ancients measured time" and another one was degrees on a circle so it's clear that she has to ask the focus directly what exactly is going on.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Started replaying Toy Story 3 on the XBox 360. Starting with the story mode to get it out of the way, but the levels are fairly fun - more so than I remembered. So far the highlight has been the Buzz Lightyear videogame level, which has a really interesting aesthetic as the planet you are on gets hit by an enormous meteor, leaving little floating chunks of the earths crust with massive craters below. As you land on some platforms they crack under your weight allowing you to reach new areas, with a cleverly hidden collectible where you need to blow up a nearby platform to make two parts of it quickly sail off to form a temporary path, that you need to hop along to get the card, then hop straight onto the one ahead to reach the next area. Luckily if you grab something it stays grabbed so if you miss your chance and get stranded you can just jump off and respawn. It's overall been fairly interesting level design, then you get to play with Toybox mode after beating the first level which is sidestories set in the wild-west. In that mode you can dress the citizens and aliens in outfits that you unlock that is a really cute thing, and you also unlock decorations for any buildings that you can customise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

poptart_fairy posted:

If she can figure out how to work a highly advanced fusion of machine intelligence and top end robotics, she can figure out a time piece and keyring. :colbert:

The disconnect here is your own though, Aloy has no frame of reference for a timepiece worn on a wrist. Especially when they're all digital and long-dead, so they're nothing more than strange jewellery.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I guess, it's just one of those things which niggles at me really.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Keyring she should be able to figure out because there are keyed locks being used in the contemporary world (you even have to find and use a few keys yourself in sidequests). The watch, though, is digital IIRC so its battery would have run out long ago and it's not necessarily clear what a blank piece of glass with a wrist strap is for.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Just played through Age of Decadence, an indie post-apoc fantasy crpg from a couple years back and I really like how they handled the lore. You can play a bunch of different ways and to several endings largely ignoring the history of the world or briefly touching on some classic Gods & Demons stuff, but if you play as a high int/lore character you can start scratching away at the surface of those myths and legends for truth within. There are a few philosophers in the world you can talk to and argue about the true meanings of those old fables and you might even find some old machinery or computers in ruins and if you're smart enough, you can glean some wisdom from those old stories to help you control them to a degree.

It just made me pause and chuckle, it was like if some tomb raider in the far flung future stumbled across a malware-riddle Gateway pc and managed to turn it on in search of data. He might be at a loss for how to control its magic, or he may call upon his knowledge of the "The Tribulations of Sir Gune of Essay" an epic poem of a fallen white knight turned troll, that was tormented by demons that opened portals before him showing him many visions of succubi and temptations of the flesh as well as promises of great physical strength and stamina. A difficult situation to find oneself in, but one he overcame by focusing his attention on those windows to hell and calling upon mighty magics and prayers to the archangels Altef-or and Contralt'doleet for salvation.

Fun stuff.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

haveblue posted:

Keyring she should be able to figure out because there are keyed locks being used in the contemporary world (you even have to find and use a few keys yourself in sidequests). The watch, though, is digital IIRC so its battery would have run out long ago and it's not necessarily clear what a blank piece of glass with a wrist strap is for.

Also she might know what it is- the people she sells it to do not.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Just Offscreen posted:

Also she might know what it is- the people she sells it to do not.

She's pretty obviously amused by the guy who believes the collectable mugs are prized holy vessels.

I mean, just look at the craftsmanship; who would use something so detailed and well-made for as simple a purpose as drinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

In Delta Force, if you fire your grenade launcher and it clips on terrain too close to you, it does not explode. A nice thing in a game with no saves.