Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I was absolutely terrible at this. The play was too high level. I can't see myself playing much online for time reasons. But I like the single player campaign so I'll get it anyway and trade it in when I finish since Nintendo games get fairly good trade in value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I got back from a party tonight and totally forgot this thing was happening, now I'm in bed with the switch in the tv room and I'm wondering where my life took a wrong turn.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Lol Team Ice Cream gon lose haaaard, enjoy your frozen sugar milk while it lasts scrubs!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

enojy posted:

Lol Team Ice Cream gon lose haaaard, enjoy your frozen sugar milk while it lasts scrubs!

I'd fight you if I could fight ANYONE from Team Cake.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Why did they do an ice cream choice in the middle of summer, everyone is going to choose that

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Why did they do an ice cream choice in the middle of summer, everyone is going to choose that

I'd choose it in the dead of winter. Ice cream is just objectively better than cake, hands down.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Humpback pump track is an awesome stage

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Humpback pump track is an awesome stage

I actually like both. Moray Towers is fun too.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I still do not enjoy this game. I didn't like ARMS either. I hope some games I enjoy come out soon!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I can't wait for Mario X Rabbids

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I love Humpback Pump Track but I still dislike Moray Towers, the inkrails make it slightly better

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tomahawk posted:

I still do not enjoy this game. I didn't like ARMS either. I hope some games I enjoy come out soon!

I hear the new Hoop and Stick is in at Ace Hardware, Granddad

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Yeah. I know they are. They do not feel right.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i still maintain that the motion aiming is inverted from what it should be

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I mean that's just like your opinion, man

This isn't a flight sim.

(isn't inverting it an option?)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

you can invert it

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

eonwe posted:

you can invert it

You can't invert up/down unless you turn motion controls off.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The Bloop posted:

This isn't a flight sim.

which is exactly why i think that tilting back shouldn't pitch up, it's the opposite of how sticks work

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Tomahawk posted:

I'm still debating whether to get spla2n or not. While I enjoyed arms it didn't last too long and now I just barely play a match here and there and I'm worried splat2n might be the same.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Dr Cheeto posted:

Obviously though I'm still gonna post the greatest piece of art mankind has created
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A
Dear god.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chernabog posted:

I'm still debating whether to get spla2n or not. While I enjoyed arms it didn't last too long and now I just barely play a match here and there and I'm worried splat2n might be the same.

Splatoon 2 has a campaign AND a horde co-op mode in addition to multiplayer.

ARMS is really original and zany but its just a multiplayer fighting game at the end of the day. People who don't like lots of competitive multiplayer fighting just don't get much length out of them by comparison to a game with a campaign.

I've been saying fighting games need campaigns but the people who really like fighting games don't want that at all, so :shrug:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Chernabog posted:

the key difference is that splatoon is actually good and fun

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chernabog posted:

Splatoon will have a poo poo ton of more content than Arms. I'll get a ton of playtime out of the new horde mode alone.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I support both teams. Team Cake, and the wrong one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Splatoon will have a poo poo ton of more content than Arms. I'll get a ton of playtime out of the new horde mode alone.

Yeah I'm so psyched for salmon run

Left4Squid or Squid2Kid ?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

Splatoon 2 has a campaign AND a horde co-op mode in addition to multiplayer.

ARMS is really original and zany but its just a multiplayer fighting game at the end of the day. People who don't like lots of competitive multiplayer fighting just don't get much length out of them by comparison to a game with a campaign.

I've been saying fighting games need campaigns but the people who really like fighting games don't want that at all, so :shrug:

MK9 and X as well as SFV's story modes were pretty well received.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah I really like the MK and Injustice campaigns... but they're just a list of arcade opponents with a story in-between. Its a nice presentation but don't really confuse that for a proper "campaign mode" IMO. Its the same as just fighting bots in "single match" but it picks them for you. That's not enough.

What I'm talking about is something more like... which was it, soul calibur 4? They had a full map screen where you could travel from town to town and you'd find different encounters and pick this one or that one to earn money and level up, so you could buy different weapons and get stronger. Some matches were just different opponents but many had special effects or requirements, like there'd be low gravity or you'd have to get a ringout to win or you'd both constantly lose health or poo poo like that.

It'd be real easy to bolt-on a simple RPG like pokemon, but then have the combat be done in the fighting game. But again, fighting game fans just want hyper-competitive multiplayer, so they don't care, so the companies don't put the time in to develop that content.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

yeah competitive fighting game players are at worst ambivalent towards story modes, sfv definitely got poo poo for not having one for months

e: nrs games have story, arcsys games have story, tekken has story, even indie poo poo like skullgirls have story. idk who these companies who don't care about single-player content are

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Soul Calibur II had the best single-played mode. At least, until my wife accidentally erased my 100% unlocked save to make a new Animal Crossing village. If we're married another 50 years I'll never let her live that down.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 16, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Was SFV's? I thought it was awful. NetherRealm has the only good ones but I don't like the gameplay in those unfortunately. Are fighting game story modes really a huge draw for people? Most are 2-3 hours at best and there's zero replay value.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah competitive fighting game players are at worst ambivalent towards story modes, sfv definitely got poo poo for not having one for months

e: nrs games have story, arcsys games have story, tekken has story, even indie poo poo like skullgirls have story. idk who these companies who don't care about single-player content are

Well, Nintendo apparently. (The context of this conversation was ARMS :ssh: you may wanna read before you post)

But like I just said, I want something more than just a nice story presentation on bot matches. That's the whole friggin point. Fighting game "Story" modes are entirely non-interactive. Its just bots + movies.

Not even having that much seems half-assed so yeah, SFV got poo poo for that. But the community is fine with just having that little token story mode and I want more. And Soul Calibur 2 did more, but then they stopped after that because nobody cared enough apparently :(

Imagined posted:

Soul Calibur II had the best single-played mode. At least, until my wife accidentally erased my 100% unlocked save to make a new Animal Crossing village. If we're married another 50 years I'll never let her live that down.

For real, but like I said the real hardcore fighting crowd doesn't seem to care about that stuff. Its a shame because I would totally buy fighting games day-1 if I could go on an RPG adventure with them instead of just getting my rear end kicked online.

They did add random loot poo poo to injustice 2, so that's something. But you still fight random multiplayer to get the loot. (or buy it lol)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 16, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Well, Nintendo apparently. (The context of this conversation was ARMS :ssh: you may wanna read before you post)

you're the one who started complaining about fighting games and their players in general dog

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Namco was really good at single-player stuff, not only Soul Calibur but Tekken Force was really involved as well.

Tekken 7 is basically, as mentioned, arcade matches with cutscenes in between

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Zaphod42 posted:

Competitive players don't care about the story, all they need is training mode. That's not to say we don't want story mode, it's just that it's a non-factor.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Was SFV's? I thought it was awful.

Yeah no SFV's story mode sucks. It's got nothing on NRS story modes which are pretty good.

Brother Entropy posted:

Mostly capcom, which even they are trying to put more story into MVCI.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Splatoon 2 seems alright. I was distracted watching Evo while playing but it seems interesting enough to rent

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I really liked Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution's with the various arcades you could visit, each with their own unique kitted out versions of the fighters with made-up user names to simulate the feeling of fighting randos with unique customization, and they all had varying skill levels and could unlock things by beating them and the arcade.

Now adays I don't give a gently caress if it has any kind of special single player mode or not. I'm playing these games to fight other people, I don't want to bother with some kind of story. I love Tekken 7, probably best fighting game of the year so far, have never touched the story mode.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

the key difference is that splatoon is actually good and fun

Nah, I actually like Arms but I don't have many opportunities to play with others and I'm not that big of a fan of online multiplayer. But the fact that it has single player and hoard might be enough to hold my interest. I guess I'll wait and see.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love Arms but I'd maybe wait another month or two to see where it's going with the free patches if you're on the fence about it. The first major one is a step in the right direction.

As always with fighting games though, I would not bother at all if you aren't going to play multiplayer a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Ventana posted:

Yeah no SFV's story mode sucks. It's got nothing on NRS story modes which are pretty good.

I just said it was well received. It wasn't anywhere near as good as the MK and Injustice stories but no other fighters are. Sure beats just having an arcade mode with text over art.

• Locked thread