Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Commentator
Hellpockets
James "Old Man" Chen
Ultra "I See You Colluding" David
Infiltration
UltraChen
Yipes
Chris Hu
Zhi (Late Night mode)
Zhi (Corporate Sponsored mode)
Aris
Ryan Hunter
Seth "My LoL Money" Killian
Spooky
When's Catherine?
View Results

• Locked thread
Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
why are people yelling at each other on the stage what is happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Doorknob Slobber posted:

why are people yelling at each other on the stage what is happening

no coaching allowed

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
"All on that one guessie!"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
gross, another zero/vergil team

what are the teams for top 8 marvel now?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Melee at top 4 which are the 4 gods of melee. should be some good sets coming up.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Captain Invictus posted:

gross, another zero/vergil team

what are the teams for top 8 marvel now?

winners
Chris G (Morrigan/Doom/Vergil) vs Joey D (Zero/Doom/Vergil)
RyanLV (Chun/Morrigan/Phoenix) vs Prodigy (Magneto/Doom/Phoenix)

losers
NotEnoughDamage (Zero/Doom/Vergil) vs ThisIsForMama/NoLife (Zero/Dante/Vergil)
Paradigm (Haggar/Dormamu/Doom or Haggar/Rocket Raccoon/Arthur) vs Quackbot/PC Marvel God (Mag/Doom/Phoenix)

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
One of the gods of smash is a guy who wears gym shorts and looks like a crazy hermit

I love esports

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I hope either Joey or Ryan makes ChrisG cry. Wasn't it Joey who nearly knocked ChrisG out last year, but he took like a ten-minute break to recover while the crowd chanted?

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
As a guy who plays Melee, I'm honestly curious: what are Melee's problems as a competitive game? What annoys you as a spectator or, if you were making a competitive platform fighter of your own, what would you fix about it?

My observations watching top 8: there is a huge amount of time spent in neutral because defense has been optimized. Back in 06, DI was not as good meaning that death strings were a lot more common in the metagame. 4 stocks were a necessity back then because they could disappear in an instant. Nowadays, since defensive options have become better you'll see hits lead to nothing and characters surviving as high as 150%, meaning more time spent in neutral and games lasting more than 3 minutes. As a player I find the neutral game engaging, but as a spectator it's infuriating to watch.

Melee at its best is Axe vs Silentwolf game 3, where a top player can make 4 stocks vanish in less than a minute. Melee at its worst is Armada vs Mew2king game 3 where neither player can convert off of anything and the match lasts up to 6 and a half minutes :suicide:

(as a side note, what do guys think about other platform fighters that's inspired by Melee like RoA and Project M)

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

C. Everett Koop posted:

Melee at top 4 which are the 4 gods of melee. should be some good sets coming up.

Really good guessies going on right now

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Dragongem posted:

One of the gods of smash is a guy who wears gym shorts and looks like a crazy hermit

I love esports

Be nice to Dave Grohl.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

theGrooseofLegend posted:

As a guy who plays Melee, I'm honestly curious: what are Melee's problems as a competitive game? What annoys you as a spectator or, if you were making a competitive platform fighter of your own, what would you fix about it?

Speaking only for myself: everything I actually like about Smash in general--the general chaos, playing with more than two players, the items, most of the stages--is systematically stripped out of it to make it "competitive," and the guys in my local scene who play competitive Smash don't play anything else or talk to anyone else.

I don't understand the attraction or value of competitive Smash, the same way I don't understand why someone would sit down and watch NASCAR. Clearly other people do, but there seems to be a very sharp binary here, and there's not a lot of point in arguing across the divide.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

melee is fine for the ruleset it is, i think its p fun. its kind of dated and a little too explored to be interesting but seeing people perform at their top and read each other is still fun. it takes a little too long, but its a good game. i just wish the future games embraced the ideas of melee and cooked them into the game, but instead they did the opposite, essentially telling everyone: "no, dont play this game competitively" and people do anyway like idiots. melee is cool and shouldnt have happened, the other games are people trying way too hard to add more rules to checkers and turn it into chess even tho the guy who invented basically went "I ONLY WANT YOU TO PLAY CHECKERS"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The "waifu" factor in melee is low

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Tae posted:

Nintendo's newer games have top tier waifus.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

this smash match is unwatchable

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

this smash match is unwatchable

People are cheering for someone repeatedly grabbing a ledge. To be fair, it's one step removed from going "AY!" during a long combo, but at least the latter required aggression to set up.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The "perfect" Smash tournament would be four-player free-for-alls, where losing a stock means you have to do a shot. All items, all stages, and all characters are allowed, and the grand prize is a bunch of free pizza and a big Costco-size bottle of the most offensively flavored vodka available on the market today. Something so sweet that just knowing it exists is a diabetic risk factor.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the fox runs back and forth
the puff just hops on and off the edge

for like 4.5 minutes straight

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Melee is a legit game, but holy poo poo am I tired of every top 4 being made up of the following players:

Mango
Mew2King
Leffen
Armada
HungryBox

The tournament scene has become stagnant since no other players can challenge these guys. EVO is no different than any other smash tournament, save the size of the pot. No new players ever win, or even show up in top 8. Just the same handful of dudes every time.

Compare that to SFV 2017 vs. SFV 2016.

Punk
Itabashi
NuckleDu
Kazunoko
Moke
MOV
Tokido
Filipino Champ

Infiltration
Fuudo
Yukadon
GO1
LI Joe
MOV
Eita
Nemo

Just nice to see new players, new story lines, and new characters.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
the perfect smash tourney is six people alternately swapping drinking and playing whatever

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

ShortThug posted:

bonchan has won 15 games in a row.
After he finally lost:
http://twitter.com/Vexanie/status/886448705422807040

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Tae posted:

so unfortunate

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Benson Cunningham posted:

Melee is a legit game, but holy poo poo am I tired of every top 4 being made up of the following players:

Mango
Mew2King
Leffen
Armada
HungryBox

The tournament scene has become stagnant since no other players can challenge these guys. EVO is no different than any other smash tournament, save the size of the pot. No new players ever win, or even show up in top 8. Just the same handful of dudes every time.

Compare that to SFV 2017 vs. SFV 2016.

Punk
Itabashi
NuckleDu
Kazunoko
Moke
MOV
Tokido
Filipino Champ

Infiltration
Fuudo
Yukadon
GO1
LI Joe
MOV
Eita
Nemo

Just nice to see new players, new story lines, and new characters.

There was complaint that SFV was too random because there was always new people, you can't please both parties

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SFV has different rules and new characters every 2 months so its going to have more shake up than a game that a few thousand people failed out of college to get good at and hasn't changed since

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I just want hungrybox to gently caress off and just be an engineer that plays destiny or something instead of doublig every melee tournament's runtime

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Wanderer posted:

I hope either Joey or Ryan makes ChrisG cry. Wasn't it Joey who nearly knocked ChrisG out last year, but he took like a ten-minute break to recover while the crowd chanted?

Something like that, yeah. Joey D is basically one giant ? imo, he's random and good but sometimes it can get killed fast.

Melee at its best is Axe vs Silentwolf game 3, where a top player can make 4 stocks vanish in less than a minute. Melee at its worst is Armada vs Mew2king game 3 where neither player can convert off of anything and the match lasts up to 6 and a half minutes :suicide:

I think the way Melee's mechanics are structured as a game is mostly fine, balanced can be improved but that's true for almost everything.

I really think the problem is that the matches take too long. I like watching Melee, but in this day and age 4 stocks really isn't necessary. What could be a fast game with cool stuff everywhere ends up being a drag of endurance because you have to keep up with everything for so long. Blowups do happen, but even the fastest blowup takes a while if it's strong players. Reducing the timer down and/or reducing the stocks could help, and either of those opening up the potential for more lame play would not entirely be a bad thing.

And I disagree about those matches. At least, yes the blowups are good, but the slow but tense matches like that M2K vs Armada match was still full of great things that was fun throughout. Just shorten it down so that matches like the latter can still happen but take less time.

Melee is undoubtedly at its worst at 2012 Apex Grand finals with Armada vs Hungrybox, where timeouts were on the regular.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Tae posted:

There was complaint that SFV was too random because there was always new people, you can't please both parties

Yeah but you can go back and look at Ultra SFIV and see similar changes to top 8 from year to year. If it was truly as random as people like to complain it is, you would see some real rando's making it to top 8 more often.

Instead you see the very best consistently making it past the trash, and then fighting it out in top 64.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Tae posted:

if hungrybox wins we'll have had the same grand final three years in a row

if mang0 wins, then nine of the ten participants to appear in a melee evo final have consisted of mang0, hungrybox, and armada

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Yeah but you can go back and look at Ultra SFIV and see similar changes to top 8 from year to year. If it was truly as random as people like to complain it is, you would see some real rando's making it to top 8 more often.

Instead you see the very best consistently making it past the trash, and then fighting it out in top 64.

the best are just more consistent in melee because the game is far more matured than anything else in the realm of fighting games

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

corn on the cop posted:

if hungrybox wins we'll have had the same grand final three years in a row

if mang0 wins, then nine of the ten participants to appear in a melee evo final have consisted of mang0, hungrybox, and armada

I feel like this has already been seen in MvC2 when Justin was winning literally everything.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mango
Mew2King
Leffen
Armada
HungryBox

I get the point your making, but I mean, leffen lost outside of top 8 in this tournament to one of the non-gods.

Tbh, it actually is pretty regular to see the the Gods lose to the players just outside that threshold (Plup, Westballz, Axe, etc), they just usually only seem to beat at most 1 or 2 of them per tournament instead of all of them to make it to a Grand finals.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I love Melee and all but after something like sixteen years I just really loving hate the Gourmet Race song on Dreamland.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Tae posted:

I feel like this has already been seen in MvC2 when Justin was winning literally everything.

and check this out:

mvc2 doesn't have nearly the number of hours of competition as a game logged that melee has.

melee is basically a crotchety old man compared to every other drat fighting game

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

the best are just more consistent in melee because the game is far more matured than anything else in the realm of fighting games

That's a fine opinion to have.

My opinion is that the game is fine, but the playerbase needs to either step up or move on. If your name isn't Armada, Hungrybox, or Mango (and m2k or leffen on the rare outside chance), I have no idea why you're still wasting your time since you are never going to win.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

My opinion is that the game is fine, but the playerbase needs to either step up or move on. If your name isn't Armada, Hungrybox, or Mango (and m2k or leffen on the rare outside chance), I have no idea why you're still wasting your time since you are never going to win.

people keep playing because it's actually a really cool and fun game to play, like, physically just play. But i wouldn't be surprised if the games hardware constraints have/are killing the influx of new blood.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

NecroMonster posted:

people keep playing because it's actually a really cool and fun game to play, like, physically just play. But i wouldn't be surprised if the games hardware constraints have/are killing it's access to new blood.

yeah like, it's viscerally satisfying to do a lot of tech in melee and to just move around and combo and stuff.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
invigorating

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You can say the same thing to like 90% of sports leagues

Why do the Sacramento kings still exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Tae posted:

You can say the same thing to like 90% of sports leagues

Why do the Sacramento kings still exist

I live in Pittsburgh and really only follow hockey.

You might say I'm spoiled.

Edit: But in keeping with what you're saying, I don't think the Sacramento Kings of Smash has any fans. You either like a god or live in perennial disappoint with no chance of that changing. Actually, it's starting to sound a lot like being a sports fan in some cities.

• Locked thread