Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

this thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4XndQf6NnU

turn your volume down, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Pokemon Yellow

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jumpman, Red Baron, and other DOS ports and originals on our 486.

Edit: The first game that I ever owned personally was Sim City 2000 on floppy disc.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

What were people's First Video Game?

Mario World here.

myst, yo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kingdom Hearts games are fun action RPGs and the main appeal, after Disney and enjoyably dumb story, is that the combat is crazy fast paced for this type of game. But also the main story games are now at least a decade old and they're slow and clunky to start out.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

I honestly can't remember as I didn't own a console or computer until quite late in life, so most of my childhood gaming experiences were courtesy of friends, acquaintances, and the school library computers. I do have fond memories of playing Sim Ant and Sim City, though.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

exploded mummy posted:

spoilers

its not good

https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/21-11-2016/hello-my-name-is-ally-how-children-are-being-exploited-by-youtube-predators/

:sigh:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Jay Rust posted:

I've never played a video game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust posted:

Mario World here.

Something in an arcade involving a hammer when I was like maybe 5 or 6, then a home version of PacMan that was shaped like him and had LED graphics

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Mario World here.

Motherfucking E.T. It's a wonder I wasn't turned off to the whole enterprise then and there.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

Mario World here.

Super Mario Bros. My mom would keep telling me to die so that my brothers could have a turn, is what I remember first about playing it. I don't think I was good at it, I think I would tediously collect every single coin.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So I mentioned maybe wanting Kerbal Space Program to my dad as I was considering what I wanted for my birthday and as soon as he heard "mostly realistic rocket builder" he lit right up and got it for me as an early gift! :3:

He loves gizmos and gadgets and building things and I wish I could convince him to play this game himself because I could see him digging into it a ton.

Ah well. For now I need to learn rocket science the fun way so I can show him my rockets!

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Jay Rust posted:

Ice Climbers that I played in a department store in 1987. Wooooh me for 30 years of bideo games.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jay Rust posted:

amagon on the regular nintendo

in retrospect this explains a lot

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2000580152/neil-degrasse-tyson-presents-space-odyssey-the-vid

Finally. Finally I can have a game about space that sucks all the joy and wonder out of being in space.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Jay Rust posted:

Mario World here.

a hack of Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Mario World here.

Zelda II.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Quest For Glory II posted:

i have not seen oreimo but i know in the old zorak era of ADTRW even talking about it would get you probated i think (zorak was overcompensating for how little chill there was at the time and how much handwringing there was over every problematic element of each scene of each episode of each anime of each season)

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that ADTRW was better when it had no chill about incest and kiddy fiddling

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Grapplejack posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2000580152/neil-degrasse-tyson-presents-space-odyssey-the-vid

Finally. Finally I can have a game about space that sucks all the joy and wonder out of being in space.

Mass Effect Andromeda already came out

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Palpek posted:

Yeah, it's one of the greatest games. Let me know what you think about Ted Farro when you finish.

Oh my word. I have just finished this game. This magnificent and beautiful game. (Not only is is my game of the year, but it is in my top ten games of all time list.)

Ted Faro is utterly despicable and the villain of the whole game. He ruined two worlds with his horrific arrogance. I have disliked characters intensely before, but his actions actually stirred up such anger in me and he is purely fictional!

Good lord that was so well written and just a delight in every gameplay way that I am still wanting to play it!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

my first game was either sonic or sonic 2 or mcdonald's treasure land adventure or mean bean machine. i don't know what was first really

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ted Faro manages to be one of the most hateable video game antagonists of all time despite being dead for 1,000 years.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Ted Faro manages to be one of the most hateable video game antagonists of all time despite being dead for 1,000 years.

I am honestly shocked at how much I hate the character from what little of him is shown. He's not a moustache twirling cliche or a parody either. He's just as well written as any of the characters and everything I see of him makes me want to throttle him. The arrogance in him is astounding, absolutely mind blowing astounding and I am furious about it.

I've never really been this angry at a video game character and it surprises me a great deal.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Mario World here.

the dr brain games

there was also a pretty rad puzzle/adventure game centered around dinosaurs, shame I can't remember the name of it though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Mario World here.

Ultimate Mortal Kombat III on the SNES

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Don't get mad at video game antagonists

Get even :twisted:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

VideoGames posted:

I am honestly shocked at how much I hate the character from what little of him is shown. He's not a moustache twirling cliche or a parody either. He's just as well written as any of the characters and everything I see of him makes me want to throttle him. The arrogance in him is astounding, absolutely mind blowing astounding and I am furious about it.

I've never really been this angry at a video game character and it surprises me a great deal.

I mean, he's almost directly responsible for the extinction of most human life on Earth so I'd say they give you more than enough reason to dislike the guy

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

First one that sticks in my mind is Pool of Radiance

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The only way 2018 can become more exciting for me games-wise at this point is if Itsuno announces DMC5 at Gamescom

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Amy's First Primer

Or if that doesn't really count, then Commander Keen: Marooned on Mars

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CJacobs posted:

I mean, he's almost directly responsible for the extinction of most human life on Earth so I'd say they give you more than enough reason to dislike the guy

Yeah, and that's only the second worst thing he does!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that ADTRW was better when it had no chill about incest and kiddy fiddling
it definitely was worse back then because people would go out of their way to explain why it wasn't THAT BIG A DEAL and there'd be massive projection. it had swung too far in the opposite direction of how bad the forum was in its inception and you couldn't really take anyone at their word. and people would try to explain how certain things were like "oh that character is actually 1000 years old", the kind of argument that is now a Hilarious Meme

also nowadays if i want to know what upsetting stuff is gonna be in an anime there's places like josei next door/anime feminist that list it off so that helps (even T.H.E.M. has a content note at the end of every review). and i don't have to read someone's justification for why it's okay (which people are currently doing in other forums about made in abyss)

id rather a forum be chill and just go "yeah that parts bad" and move on than stumble over each other to prove that they're the least creepy person for enjoying something and in doing so recommend me something that is actually quite bad!!!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 16, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

or, get this, we as a forum could instead not tacitly support and recommend shows that present child abuse as hilarious (Made in Abyss) or lavish praise and recommendations on shows with a running gag about a grown woman hitting on a 10-year-old like Maidragon a season or two ago

sweeping it under the rug is not an improvement over saying "hey, this is horrible gargage and signal-boosting it reflects badly on us as a community"

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Oh good another anime derail

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dr Cheeto posted:

Oh good another anime derail

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Let's get back to Pool of Radiance. I played that poo poo on C64 so it had four floppy disks totalling 8 sides. All chugging along in that 1541 disk drive.

Did it ever come out on tape?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

staaaaarrrrrr gliiideeerrrrr

from rain bird rain bird rain bird rain bird

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What was the name of the PC DnD game that would format whatever drive it was on if you tried to uninstall it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think that was Pool of Radiance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ah yeah I thought it was but mention of a C64 version threw me off since I assume them to be an 80's thing and PC games to be 90's and forget they were around at the same time.

• Locked thread