Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should make one of Mario Odyssey's levels just literally The Great Plateau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I'll post the link to make it easy for people: http://www.cavestory.org/download/cave-story.php

Click and download and play a good game.

Hmm, I'm having trouble loading that on my Nintendo Switch, the system on which it is perfect.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

XCX was... OK

I enjoyed it up until about when I got a skell, and even then there were a lot of suboptimal design choices

In the end, the world was big but just completely empty and samey and getting the giant robot suit made combat less fun to the point that I was jumping out just to execute combos. The crafting and upgrading system, the missions, and even your own party members made everything a chore and I lost the joy of playing long before coming to the end of the game.

It was OK.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I regret paying full price for Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2. That's on PC, but still, while we're airing regrets :v:
It's fun and I enjoy it, but it's like $30 fun, not $60 + Season Pass fun.

Uh, so keep that in mind when the Switch version gets a release date. It's not a *bad* game, but I'm not sure if I'd call it a good game, either. The fun of making your own Original Character (Do Not Steal), with customizable moves and clothes, and getting time-travel inserted into major battles from DBZ history (with some twists), is offset by some pretty baffling design decisions and finicky controls. Some of the what-if type scenarios are pretty cute, though. Captain Ginyu's body-swapping power gets some good use for those.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I can’t wait for Mario x Rabbids to come out it’s going to be GOTY for the Switch.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Golden Goat posted:

But Cave Story is good and worth money.

I only regret it because I already played it, and 30 bucks is a bit much for how small of a game it is. It is a good game worth some amount of money tho

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

I regret paying full price for Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2. That's on PC, but still, while we're airing regrets :v:

Uh, so keep that in mind when the Switch version gets a release date. It's not a *bad* game, but I'm not sure if I'd call it a good game, either. The fun of making your own Original Character (Do Not Steal), with customizable moves and clothes, and getting time-travel inserted into major battles from DBZ history (with some twists), is offset by some pretty baffling design decisions and finicky controls. Some of the what-if type scenarios are pretty cute, though. Captain Ginyu's body-swapping power gets some good use for those.

Good news! It's only 40 bucks on the switch

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

deadly_pudding posted:

I known the Switch version (at least early copies) comes with the campaign from Xenoverse 1. Does anyone know if it comes with any of the dlc from the other console versions?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Spacebump posted:

I known the Switch version (at least early copies) comes with the campaign from Xenoverse 1. Does anyone know if it comes with any of the dlc from the other console versions?

That seems like a goofy decision. Like, your Xenoverse 1 items and stuff carry over in the original release of Xenoverse 2, but the missions themselves are so similar that it might as well be a New Game + with graphical enhancements. It's like, I guess the cutscenes have different inane dialogue, but then you still have to fight Nappa.

Storyline is hilarious in a meta way. All the non-canon movie villains want to destroy history and become canon, or something. Anyway, Turles, Slug, and Cooler are there. I think Janemba is some kind of raid boss, too. Two of the villains from the DBZ MMO that we never got are there, too, and it's my understanding that a lot of the game assets are from there, too.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They should make one of Mario Odyssey's levels just literally The Great Plateau.

For the boss fight you have to take over a skeleton Bokoblin and fight Link.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

For the boss fight you have to take over a skeleton Bokoblin and fight Link.

Or a Guardian.

Wait.

Mario is Calamity Ganon.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Calamity Bowser

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I thought Nicalis was a garbage publisher but apparently they're not anymore?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Calamity Bowser

I like it.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

God damnit I want a Switch so bad someone give it to me

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Kirios posted:

It's kind of ironic because a toaster oven is great for everything that isn't actually toasting bread.

Heating up leftovers, if you are willing to deal with the additional time, is fantastic in a toaster oven.

You can get ones that are also good at toasting, but they're more like $120 instead of $30.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You can watch your bread brown over time in a toaster oven, that's added value.

Also, unrelated:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You can watch your bread brown over time in a toaster oven, that's added value.

Also, unrelated:

There you have it, all Pearl fans are bronies.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I use my fancy rear end toster oven in the summer to bake poo poo cuz it's like 100 plus degree for weeks on end now.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Deltron 3030 posted:

Needs more Splatoon 2 hype...

:siren: It's gonna be so great, wooooooooo!!!!! :siren:

Anyone know if it will be available for download midnight ET on the 21st so I can ruin my Thursday night's sleep?

Most likely. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Arms went up at midnight EST their day of release.

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

XCX sucked because there was so much bureaucratic bullshit to wade through before handling missions.
Go over here and load up on missions.
Go over there and get additional information, maybe have a meeting in which you just stand around while everyone else decides.
Run around town looking for the people you need on your mission. Too bad if they're brutally underleveled.
You broke your hard-to-drive and easy-to-break robot? It's going to cost you a ridiculous amount of money.
The ultrashit GUI and horrid in-town music only added to the unfun bullshit.
Don't even get me started on the non-interactive party fights that were a massive step back from Xenoblade.

I so wanted to love XCX after XB, but after a month of increasing frustration, it was frisbeed.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

XCX sucked because there was so much bureaucratic bullshit to wade through before handling missions.
Go over here and load up on missions.
Go over there and get additional information, maybe have a meeting in which you just stand around while everyone else decides.
Run around town looking for the people you need on your mission. Too bad if they're brutally underleveled.
You broke your hard-to-drive and easy-to-break robot? It's going to cost you a ridiculous amount of money.
The ultrashit GUI and horrid in-town music only added to the unfun bullshit.
Don't even get me started on the non-interactive party fights that were a massive step back from Xenoblade.

I so wanted to love XCX after XB, but after a month of increasing frustration, it was frisbeed.

It's bizarre, I can't think of a game that self-sabotaged as much as this did. It seemed to be trying at every point to actively prevent you from playing it.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Damnit i just saw this

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B072P16HQY

Complete carrying case for the switch AND dock. Are we getting this?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I think I quit XCX as soon as you save the loving Jar Jar Binks aliens and the game gives you 10 more loving landmarks to get before your next story mission, all of which are gated by enemies that are 20 levels above you. Idk how the gently caress they went from XC to that poo poo.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Mister Facetious posted:

I could really go for maple pecan ice cream now.

WTF, its maple walnut you heathen

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Looking back over Monolith Soft's spotty and masturbatory track record, I'm beginning to think Xenoblade was the exception and not the rule.
Maaaaaaaaan, I hope Xenoblade 2 proves me wrong. (I loved Xenoblade so much I have the Wii version, 3DS, and the WiiU VC version.)

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Xenoblade chronicles x had good gameplay gated behind bad design. which is generally easier for a team to fix going forward than bad gameplay

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I still want to play X since the way it looks reminds me of Phantasy Star Online.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
XCX's world was really pretty. :shrug: Also the Skells were cool in a model kit sort of way, but they really ruined the difficulty curve and weren't as fun to fight in as on-foot fighting was. Jeez though, once you reach the point in the game where you have to fly everywhere to find new stuff or just to cover distance quickly the flying music was constant spirit-withering teeth grinding bullshit. The game would have been like at least 25% better if the sound options included a way to turn it off.

VVedit: I didn't mind the town music, day or night but the flying track ughhhh

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

horrid in-town music

What

Everything else is true though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SeANMcBAY posted:

I still want to play X since the way it looks reminds me of Phantasy Star Online.

Port PSO to the Switch.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zelder posted:

Xenoblade chronicles x had good gameplay gated behind bad design. which is generally easier for a team to fix going forward than bad gameplay

The gameplay was... acceptable. Interesting. Different. Worth a shot. Not "good" though.

And seconding that in-town music was good

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Late but I got my Switch by getting up at 5:30am and going to my nearest walmart. I also impulse bought a pro controller and didn't realize how much they cost, I was very surprised. I then skipped all of my classes that day and played BotW

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Breath of the Wild should get a DLC where you can just climb around and paraglide and kill Moblins n' stuff on XCX's map. That would pretty much be all the really good parts of XCX with none of the bad.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Bloop posted:

The gameplay was... acceptable. Interesting. Different. Worth a shot. Not "good" though.

And seconding that in-town music was good

I found the on-foot combat to be fun and engaging, the mixing and matching with weapons, Arts, and party member callouts was cool.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

I found the on-foot combat to be fun and engaging, the mixing and matching with weapons, Arts, and party member callouts was cool.

Yah. It's a shame that it's so murky and poorly explained but I liked the combat when I hot the hang of it. I never really liked the skell combat though, which is a shame

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tender Bender posted:

I guess it just wore out its welcome too quickly for me. The color coded callouts were a neat mechanic and all, but it just felt like once you "got it" there was nothing else to do. Like the learning curve was just a vertical line followed by an infinite plain

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

THE loving MOON posted:

Breath of the Wild should get a DLC where you can just climb around and paraglide and kill Moblins n' stuff on XCX's map. That would pretty much be all the really good parts of XCX with none of the bad.

I keep bitching FFXIV needs the paraglider cause there are so many cliffs to jump off of weeeee.

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

I don't understand why XCX just didn't use the same battle system as Xenoblade.
XB's battles were fun due to its assigning specific roles to characters, like attacker, tank, debuffer, and healer.
XCX was just buttonmashing.

And the town's "Uh-huh" music just ruined me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

I don't understand why XCX just didn't use the same battle system as Xenoblade.
XB's battles were fun due to its assigning specific roles to characters, like attacker, tank, debuffer, and healer.
XCX was just buttonmashing.

And the town's "Uh-huh" music just ruined me.

The uhh huh was the best part, what the hell

• Locked thread