Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

"Americarika" looks dumb and sounds dumb if you say it out loud

Why is it not Amerikira

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

I doubt anybody here is at all interested in my ordeal, but I changed some settings and was able to prevent the offensive image from showing up again. However, it's concerning to know that apparently Google believes it was something I wanted to see, as viewing things of that nature is genuinely traumatic for me (I had bit of a cry and feel somewhat better, though). Are there any precautionary measures I can take for the future, or is it all a little pointless when frequently browsing a website founded upon cataloguing horrible things?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
you could turn safe search on

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

haveblue posted:

Why is it not Amerikira

Why not Akiramerica

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

corn in the bible posted:

you could turn safe search on
I did, but it feels like a temporary fix as I'm not sure what Google considers to be objectionable content. I may just have to live with it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Akiramerikirica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRntutn8udw

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Golden Goat posted:

Why not Akiramerica

What about Akirica

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

basalt posted:

I did, but it feels like a temporary fix as I'm not sure what Google considers to be objectionable content. I may just have to live with it.

Google safe search actually filters stuff even when it's off, and that's good enough for most folks most of the time. You're definitely safe with it on.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

What about Akirica

Too easy to pronounce and sounds less dumb, so no.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Amekira

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

akira (us)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

basalt posted:

I think the true answer is there's a ton of horrible poo poo on the internet and just by browsing you open yourself up to a small chance of seeing something you don't want to see. As with real life, you can't always be 100% protected from such things.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

oddium posted:

akira (us)

USAkira

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

GameCube Nintendo

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

akira [u][!].sa

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

UnitedStatesofAkiramericakira

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

an actual dog posted:

GameCube Nintendo

Whew, that was close, almost got derailed for a sec there

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Philosophical question: can you derail a chat thread?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

an actual dog posted:

I feel like we can only answer this with a discussion lasting several pages and ending with people yelling at each other on what a chat thread is.

But anyway, What new games are people playing this week?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It just means that whoever coined "Americakira" probably communicates mostly through typing at a keyboard

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

an actual dog posted:

People somehow manage to do it all the time even with no set discussion so I'm going with yes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

I feel like we can only answer this with a discussion lasting several pages and ending with people yelling at each other on what a chat thread is.

I'm sitting in an empty room like Raiden for 4 days until Splatoon 2 comes out

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

an actual dog posted:

Acceptable thread topics are driven by a loose consensus created when individual posters choose to engage with a topic, choose not to engage with a topic, or choose to express discontent with the topic. A derail is just a tangent the consensus determines to be undesirable.

Miyazaki is a tangent, Kill la Kill is a derail.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Remember when these threads used to have silly polls?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Golden Goat posted:

The Destiny 2 beta probably won't occupy the whole week so looking forward to playing Superhot in VR.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

In Training posted:

I'm sitting in an empty room like Raiden for 4 days until Splatoon 2 comes out

I was going to grab Splatwoon to play on a trip but realized I'd be missing the internet and really wouldn't get to play the main draw of that game without it. Also Mario X-com comes out round the time i come back so i'll probably get that.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm mostly still playing PUBG. I cracked 100 hours the other day, and have no doubt I'll be well over 200 by the time I get tired of it.

Also still working my way through the Crash Nsane Trilogy. I finished getting all the gems in Crash 2 last night so I'll probably take a little break before moving onto Crash 3 and doing the same thing.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm slowly getting burned out on Mad Max and The Division and will probably give up on or take a break from at least one of them

Ocasionally getting my rear end kicked on Titanfall 2 multi

When the stars align, I coop Grim Dawn with a buddy - mostly he carrying me around while I blast critters with dual revolvers

Trying to gather the resolve to finish both Bayonetta and Vanquish - Bayo because it's very demanding and Vanquish because I just don't enjoy it very much but I'm near the end(I think?) so now I gotta go all the way

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Samuringa posted:

Trying to gather the resolve to finish both Bayonetta

Push through this, the end boss and final sequence are both amazing.

quote:

Vanquish because I just don't enjoy it very much

:stonk:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i have been playing pokemon snap and star fox 64

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm playing Dishonored 2 and I'm not really into it but idk why

Maybe I should've picked Corvo

e: the last level I played was the clockwork mansion and I thought that was pretty neat though

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 17, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oddium posted:

i have been playing pokemon snap and star fox 64

How's the Landmaster, oddium

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh I wake up every morning and chip away at Digital Devil Saga 1 with my coffee.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to try and finish Persona 5 before Splatoon comes out. Even then I'll also probably move on to either Horizon or Rise of Tomb Raider in addition to Spla2oon

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Keep trying to play Saints Row 3 with the bf and it just randomly crashes all the time on his machine which sucks.

In Training posted:

Oh I wake up every morning and chip away at Digital Devil Saga 1 with my coffee.
I keep meaning to come back to that, I got bored around the sewer dungeon.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How's the Landmaster, oddium

i like macbeth the train level a lot but i was never really into titania

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the pro star fox 64 route is: corneria > sector y > katina > sol > macbeth > area 6 > venom

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

My apologies! I'll try to keep personal anecdotes to myself from now on, or find a more appropriate place to share them.

For the record, The Castle of Cagliostro looks amazing. I'm just annoyed with myself for not simply typing out the title of the show in full.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

And to answer the current question, I've been playing a lot of FEZ and Future Unfolding. Both equally beautiful and relaxing games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

basalt posted:

My apologies! I'll try to keep personal anecdotes to myself from now on, or find a more appropriate place to share them.

For the record, The Castle of Cagliostro looks amazing. I'm just annoyed with myself for not simply typing out the title of the show in full.

Considering I and others were talking about how to name american akira you don't have to apologize.

• Locked thread