Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

some guy on the bus posted:

You know how there's this tween singer no one's ever heard of named Ed Sheeran? Wouldn't it make sense if we put him on the show for no reason? What else is he going to do?

This year, Dave Hill is a writer on our show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I didn't invent a scene where Stannis tells Sam and/or Jon about the fact that Dragonstone has a bunch of dragonglass on it did I? Something like that definitely happens in the books and I was 99% sure it happened in the series too.

Which makes the whole revelation kinda weird.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sam even mentions in this episode that Stannis told him about the dragonglass.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

guys i just ground up a bunch of obsidian and drank it to cure my morgelions and i can say with authority do not get your medical advice from hit hbo show game of thrones.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Mike N Eich posted:

I didn't invent a scene where Stannis tells Sam and/or Jon about the fact that Dragonstone has a bunch of dragonglass on it did I? Something like that definitely happens in the books and I was 99% sure it happened in the series too.

Which makes the whole revelation kinda weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uo7dwbteFE&t=49s

but they need it to be revelation so that Jon get's additional motivation to meet his waifu

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

esperterra posted:

Sam even mentions in this episode that Stannis told him about the dragonglass.

Not just in this episode. Within 10 seconds of reading it in the book where he finds the map he's like "Stannis told me but I didn't..."

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah if there's one thing I'm sure of is that GRRM's climaxes won't involve the protagonists all becoming the sort of people who take pleasure in torture and death without paying a major personal price for it. Everytime someone in ASOIAF sets out on a quest for revenge they wind up getting screwed up by it and paying some considerable personal price, even if the revenge is fully justified.

It's fine, judging by the Frey scene Arya's still nowhere near as sadistic as the people in this thread are.

3peat
May 6, 2010

I just saw some spoilers for the whole season, is thjis the thread to discuss them?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I can't wait for Dave Hill to become the show-runner for the spin-off.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Jon is gonna read Sam's letter and go, "For gently caress's sake, Davos already told me about this weeks ago. We just can't go there yet. What is he doing down there?"

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

tho i agree not actually recognizing him is fine, it's actually way more embarrassing that several posters are so goony as to not have heard "shape of you" despite it being goddamn everywhere for months. nobody listens to the radio guys. we still all heard it.

E: gently caress it why am I on the defensive here? This is a stupid take.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 17, 2017

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Ague Proof posted:

I can't wait for Dave Hill to become the show-runner for the spin-off.

I can't wait for it to end like the "Bastard Executioner"

Moreover, in the scene where Sam reads the books, he says that the Targs built their first stronghold on Dragonstone when they invaded Westeros, which is absolutely false and given that it's rather recent history, he should know better. The castle was built about two centuries before the Doom, with the conquest happening about 100 years after it, so the castle stood there for 300 years when Aegon started his conquest.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 17, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Groovelord Neato posted:

tho i agree not actually recognizing him is fine, it's actually way more embarrassing that several posters are so goony as to not have heard "shape of you" despite it being goddamn everywhere for months. nobody listens to the radio guys. we still all heard it.

They don't announce "that was by Ed Sheeran" after playing it at a bar or grocery store or barber shop.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uo7dwbteFE&t=49s

but they need it to be revelation so that Jon get's additional motivation to meet his waifu

All Stannis says is "We have it in Dragonstone" not "We have a giant loving deposit of it in Dragonstone." Sam could easily be thinking that all Stannis has is a few daggers.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I figured it out.

The spinoff will follow a group of soldiers in post-apocalyptic Westeros, trying to maintain order and stability in a ravaged land. This year, Ed Sheeran is the main character.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It makes sense that he does, but did they establish that Sam knows that Jon is king now instead of Lord Commander?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

I never heard that song and don't know who this guy is. It's not some attempt at being cool and underground, it's just not my(or my friends') kinda music.

What does it say about the state of GoT that the most talked about thing with the season premiere is a cameo by some popstar?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

Where did you hear it? Was it on the hit show Big Bang theory?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lycus posted:

It makes sense that he does, but did they establish that Sam knows that Jon is king now instead of Lord Commander?

He's been sending him ravens and presumably has been receiving some as well.

Actually, doesn't the Citadel control all the ravens and thus has access to basically all the world news?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Harton posted:

Was it on the hit show Big Bang theory?

you tell me.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

3peat posted:

I just saw some spoilers for the whole season, is thjis the thread to discuss them?

hell yes it isi

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They don't announce "that was by Ed Sheeran" after playing it at a bar or grocery store or barber shop.

This. And they definitely don't flash a picture of his face. I'm sure I've heard the song a bunch but there's no way I would've possibly known who he was.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Lol, I don't see how I'm supposed to just hear this song. My radio in my truck is either NPR or my old man ears Spotify playlist. And I only have Netflix and HBO streaming services so no commercials. I am seriously curious how your so versed in this pop music without actually seeking it out.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Harton posted:

Seriously though if you listen to pop music in general you should be asking yourself some questions. Same type of people that enjoy "sons of anarchy" I imagine.

Come to the Pop Music thread and fight me.

Pop is good.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Harton posted:

Lol, I don't see how I'm supposed to just hear this song. My radio in my truck is either NPR or my old man ears Spotify playlist. And I only have Netflix and HBO streaming services so no commercials. I am seriously curious how your so versed in this pop music without actually seeking it out.

you uh go out. you go to bars. you go to people's houses when they have parties and are playing music. pop culture osmosis is a thing dude. i don't watch your favorite show bbt but i know barenaked ladies does the theme song from catching like ten seconds of it

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

mastershakeman posted:

hell yes it isi

Actually we don't like spoilers here. You're looking for another thread.

Edit: Lol, someone here thinks a goon would be invited to a party.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 17, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Groovelord Neato posted:

you uh go out. you go to bars. you go to people's houses when they have parties and are playing music. pop culture osmosis is a thing dude. i don't watch your favorite show bbt but i know barenaked ladies does the theme song from catching like ten seconds of it while flipping through channels.

i do not go to bars or parties where they play music for 13 year old girls. when i go out to drink i put 40 dollars in the jukebox to loop the internationale until closing time

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oh my God how many loving pages are going to be about that stupid cameo?

Also, Arya is not going to kill them. You could tell she was touched by the line about being kind to strangers, so they'll be kind to you. It's probably the moment where she decides to go back to Winterfell instead of carry on to King's Landing.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

"Who among you knows this pop star, Ed Sheeran?"

Goon 1: *stands up, boldly* "Not I! I am not a normie!"

Goon 2: *stands up even faster, speaks with a more strident tone* "I can't even say the name Eaud Shear-han!"

Goon 3: *pushes the other two people out the way and shouts through a megaphone* "I've never heard music!"

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

you uh go out. you go to bars. you go to people's houses when they have parties and are playing music. pop culture osmosis is a thing dude. i don't watch your favorite show bbt but i know barenaked ladies does the theme song from catching like ten seconds of it

I stopped going to bars after my band broke up and stopped playing old man music about 4 years ago. Now I'm married with a 1 year old daughter so that's even less time for poo poo like that. My house is usually the party house now and we either listen to my Spotify playlist or we just play live music with instruments that isn't Taylor swift. Sorry my life is not like yours where you jam out to music for teenage girls.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

bloom posted:

What does it say about the state of GoT that the most talked about thing with the season premiere is a cameo by some popstar?

This isn't actually what normal people are talking endlessly about.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

you uh go out. you go to bars. you go to people's houses when they have parties and are playing music. pop culture osmosis is a thing dude. i don't watch your favorite show bbt but i know barenaked ladies does the theme song from catching like ten seconds of it while flipping through channels.

What if you go to parties and bars where they play good music instead?

I got curious and looked up Shape of You. It sounds vaguely familiar so I've probably heard bits of it in a shop or something, but no way could I have named either the song or the artist if it hadn't turned out to be the most interesting thing in the hit tv show Tits of Dragons. Speaking of which where was the pointless nudity in this episode?

Lycus posted:

Well yes but I post about a dragon tv show on dead gay comedy forums so what would I know about normal people?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Lycus posted:

This is a good point. If we were normal we never would have found this place.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Harton posted:

I stopped going to bars after my band broke up and stopped playing old man music about 4 years ago. Now I'm married with a 1 year old daughter so that's even less time for poo poo like that. My house is usually the party house now and we either listen to my Spotify playlist or we just play live music with instruments that isn't Taylor swift. Sorry my life is not like yours where you jam out to music for teenage girls.

I'm not sure if I've even been to a bar since having a kid. man they take a lot out of you

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bloom posted:

What if you go to parties and bars where they play good music instead?

lol

Lycus posted:

all the normies i'm friends with had snaps of his dumb mug up on their snapchat stories with poo poo like ???? *cue chorus of goons talking about how they'd never be caught dead using snapchat*

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

bloom posted:

I never heard that song and don't know who this guy is. It's not some attempt at being cool and underground, it's just not my(or my friends') kinda music.

what else is there to talk about that we didn't know from the end of last season?
we knew Dany had a giant army with no way to feed them and that issue would be ignored rather than have her and cersei battle for control over the sole food producing region for the next dozen years.

we knew euron would get a fleet because otherwise that plot line with Yara would simply end entirely

we knew Sam would go to the citadel and be useless.

we knew Jon would make idiot decisions for idiots and no one would ever comment on him dying once

we knew the walkers would still be walking around in circles.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol

all the normies i'm friends with had snaps of his dumb mug up on their snapchat stories with poo poo like ???? *cue chorus of goons talking about how they'd never be caught dead using snapchat*

Good point about the Snapchat, isn't that the thing 13 year old's use to send dick and titty pic's? Again something I generally avoid.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

I'm not sure if I've even been to a bar since having a kid. man they take a lot out of you

Seriously, although I did have a sitter this weekend and we took a trip up to a winery in Michigan. But there was a live band there playing bluegrass and it was sweet. I don't think they did any Taylor swift covers though.

Edit: sorry groovelord, I don't normally post this much but it's a slow morning at work and making fun of you is making my day go by quicker.

Harton fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 17, 2017

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I thought the guy was just a regular actor so the cameo didn't feel out of place to me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

rope kid posted:

"Who among you knows this pop star, Ed Sheeran?"

Goon 1: *stands up, boldly* "Not I! I am not a normie!"

Goon 2: *stands up even faster, speaks with a more strident tone* "I can't even say the name Eaud Shear-han!"

Goon 3: *pushes the other two people out the way and shouts through a megaphone* "I've never heard music!"

I don't even own a pair of ears :rolleyes:

I've never heard of this dude either though

• Locked thread