Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress, give it to me!

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The agent who actually won keeps getting robbed. First she never actually gets a suit, now she doesn't get a poster.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Colluded? Deluded.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pooted

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CelticPredator posted:

Imogen Gay Pooted

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I love this poster.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It was pretty alright, but it was by no means Edgar Wright’s best like I’ve seen some people say. Like, is this the only Edgar Wright movie you’ve seen or what?

It probably is the only Edgar Wright movies most people have seen, since it's currently his highest-grossing movie.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

This is not where I expected the film adaptation of Jeopardy to go

Also is the question "why am I holding two wu tang logos?"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Badly pasted on heads never get old, hahaha.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I didn't realize The Sphinx ditched the cape and started writing movie taglines.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

'Wait, how will people know this is an action movie?'

'There we go.'

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Darthemed posted:

'Wait, how will people know this is an action movie?'

'There we go.'

Honestly, the second one is a way better representation of what the film is about. The first one makes it look like a war drama.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Still thinking about Romero.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

When there’s no more room in hell…

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The darkest day the world has ever known, for real.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Salute to a mother loving real one. Thanks for the good times, George.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Darthemed posted:

Seems like this poster's designers really liked Get Out's tag-line.

"THE FIRST GREAT FILM OF THE TRUMP ERA" wtf

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 19, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sounds more appropriate for Get Out.

edit:

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 19, 2017

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Aw man :(

ruddiger posted:

The darkest day the world has ever known, for real.

I've got an original one sheet of this I really need to get framed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's an amazing car movie if you haven't seen many car movies.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

It didn't revolutionise the way we look at film, but it's probably going to be one of the year's best Crime Films with a hell of a lot of style.

GrandpaPants posted:

At the very least, the sound design and editing were top notch.

In other words, it's this year's Drive. Nothing new to say and didn't say it well, but hey! It sounds good and if you've never seen another movie you'll not notice that everyone else already did it better.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Jedit posted:

In other words, it's this year's Drive. Nothing new to say and didn't say it well, but hey! It sounds good and if you've never seen another movie you'll not notice that everyone else already did it better.

Could you name a few that really nail the gangster/fairy tale vibe of Drive? I'll gladly watch those.

My personal favourite Refn films are the Pusher trilogy. They're his first feature films, and they honestly hint at a way deeper understanding of film than he shows in his more artsy flicks.

The posters are boring, but they're setting you up for a wonderful joke. These people aren't actually badass.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Movies don't have to have things to say.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

And More posted:

Could you name a few that really nail the gangster/fairy tale vibe of Drive? I'll gladly watch those.

It's almost a 1:1 homage of Michael Mann's Thief so just watch that.

Coincidentally, I heard Mann's favorite Refn movies are the Pusher trilogy.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Jedit posted:

much like...your posting

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I'd hope we can be uninterested in something without flailing furiously at those who enjoyed it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

And More posted:

You may (or may not) be interested in To Live and Die in LA and/or Heat

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
There's The Driver as well, though to me the gritty, hard boiled 70s style has a very different feel from Drive (at least for me).

Vanishing Point is not a crime story in the same way, but has awesome cars and a main character who is similarly apart from society and kind of dreamy in parts.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Pascallion posted:

Vanishing Point is not a crime story in the same way, but has awesome cars and a main character who is similarly apart from society and kind of dreamy in parts.

If you're a fan of Vanishing Point listen to the Primal Scream album named after it. Which came out, terrifyingly, twenty years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xBzYsE4y1k

*stares sobbing at gnarled old hands*

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Sounds more appropriate for Get Out.

edit:

Boo 2: The Booening.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I hadn't seen some of those Night posters, love the first French and the first Italian one.

Not following you on Drive-Thief though, the central characters are so radically different that any plot similarity seems more instructive than derivative

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

I hadn't seen some of those Night posters, love the first French and the first Italian one.

Not following you on Drive-Thief though, the central characters are so radically different that any plot similarity seems more instructive than derivative

He saw the logos and stopped there.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Both character are loner professionals that are short and curt with their clients, both characters have goony as gently caress relationships with the women that they obsess over (they both are broken people who cannot love someone in the traditional sense), both characters get screwed over by their employer on the job that they hesitantly take, both characters lose their right hand guy to the employer that's trying to gently caress them over, both characters get the business at the end while trying to get their revenge, and I'm sure there's a ton more. Drive apes off of Thief so loving hard, it may as well be plagiarism. I still dig the gently caress out of the movie (I made the OP for the movie when it first came out, now that I think about it), but I'm not pretending it's anything but a love letter to Mann.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 20, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

And More posted:

People already named everything I was going to name, but especially Vanishing Point and Thief.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Walter Hill's The Driver too.

Its poster is a special boy.....

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

So...the ponies are in shells? Are they born that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So...the ponies are in shells? Are they born that way?

According to scientology, we descend from molluscs & so if your jaw is hurting, it's because the space ghost (forgot what it's called) in your jaw was lodged in your ancestral clamfather. I suppose horses & ponies are much the same.