Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The snipping tool is pinned to the start menu on every computer I have control over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Taskbar you mean?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

The Fool posted:

The snipping tool is pinned to the start menu on every computer I have control over.

Hell yeah - WinKey + 1 always

People will still use Word because it's "easy" to crop and mark up the image once you know how. Then I'll open it and the markup box things will have little to no relation to their original position on the creator's machine because Word.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

IAmKale posted:

DO

NOT

ATTACH

SCREENSHOTS

AS

WORD DOCUMENTS

Also its close relative "take multiple screen-shots of the console showing the logs". I see you on the WebEx fidgeting by selecting and unselecting the text. Why do they only go into the bug report as images??

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
How bad are bug tracking systems where everyone has the same complaints about things that add hours to their work week -- screenshots in Word documents, unsearchable logs in images -- and these systems don't bother extracting images from .docx files or OCRing text?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

GutBomb posted:

As long as windows default screenshot behavior is to copy it to the clipboard, that's going to be what happens. These people don't even realize they have mspaint on their computer to paste into instead of word. It's all they know. It's annoying as poo poo, but I blame Microsoft for that. It should dump the screen to a file on the desktop somewhere, not the clipboard.

(Yes I know about win+print screen, but they don't)

These days you can paste the image directly into Jira. Using Word is way more work.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I use greenshot for all my screenshotting needs. It takes over the print screen key, when you press it you can just drag a box around the area you want to screenshot, then it shows a menu where you can choose to just put it in the clipboard, save it to a file, open it in an editor, or attach it directly to a new email.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Have a client who will print a webpage out and then scan it just so he can send it as a pdf in an email.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Mniot posted:

Also its close relative "take multiple screen-shots of the console showing the logs". I see you on the WebEx fidgeting by selecting and unselecting the text. Why do they only go into the bug report as images??
I would KILL for screenshots of network logs, it'd be better than nothing. Our customer's QA department is filled with what amounts to glorified end users who don't do anything but log tickets about visual issues. I don't even think an act of god could get them to pop open the Network tab in the dev console to see if the cause is due to 500 Internal Server Errors their backend might just be throwing. Instead we get the tickets a week later that we then struggle to reproduce before closing them 45 minutes later as "CANNOT REPRODUCE".

Man, agency work is poo poo. I kinda miss the days of me being sole developer of a project*

(*Nah, it's actually nice to get feedback from a team and be able to work in a small number of areas of responsibility)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Carbon dioxide posted:

New job is offering me either a macbook or a Dell laptop. All I know is that both are decently powerful machines, good enough for developers. Which should I choose?

Coming in late but: Dell with 32 gigs memory. Macbook caps at 16 in TYOOL 2017.

I'm || close to switching to Dell w/32 gigs even though I'm fully iPad/iPhone/Safari/AppleTV ecosystem.

Gounads posted:

These days you can paste the image directly into Jira. Using Word is way more work.

I have a feeling that the person making the word doc doesn't have access to the 3rd party Jira given that the doc is named after a different bug system's tracking codes.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

I have a feeling that the person making the word doc doesn't have access to the 3rd party Jira given that the doc is named after a different bug system's tracking codes.
You got it. The customer uses ClearQuest, which gets dumped into our Jira nightly. Mercifully we have some top-notch PMs who have been on top of mapping all the CQ stuff into custom Jira ticket fields so we can see everything.

Honestly the main thing keeping me trudging forward is knowing that I'll get to continue working with everyone in the company (all 10 of us haha). Our PMs are awesome, they back us so completely and are willing to push back on stupid requirements, and they shield us from most of the bullshit the customer's sling. All in all, things could be a lot worse.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Vulture Culture posted:

How bad are bug tracking systems where everyone has the same complaints about things that add hours to their work week -- screenshots in Word documents, unsearchable logs in images -- and these systems don't bother extracting images from .docx files or OCRing text?

they are really bad

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Vulture Culture posted:

I just found out we have been paying several hundred dollars / month for time tracking in Jira that nobody every uses for the last 4 years.

Also, because someone left, it's taken us 3 sprints to get a consensus on a loving icon for commenting functionality ala Google Docs in tinymce. User testing also showed that very few people knew we even had this functionality for the last 4 years :suicide:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Hughlander posted:

Coming in late but: Dell with 32 gigs memory. Macbook caps at 16 in TYOOL 2017.

I'm || close to switching to Dell w/32 gigs even though I'm fully iPad/iPhone/Safari/AppleTV ecosystem.

My 2000 euro mbp with 16gb ran out of memory yesterday. Of course I didn't reboot it for a few weeks and I do a lot of testing so god knows how many threads were kept open. It was looking at a gif album on imgur that did it so I will just use my desktop with 32 for that in the future.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Keetron posted:

My 2000 euro mbp with 16gb ran out of memory yesterday. Of course I didn't reboot it for a few weeks and I do a lot of testing so god knows how many threads were kept open. It was looking at a gif album on imgur that did it so I will just use my desktop with 32 for that in the future.

With my version of OS X there’s a memory leak in safari if you leave it going too long it’ll suck all memory and you’ll struggle to force close it. I switched to chrome and the great suspender but that alone weakens the hold Apple has on my productivity.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

https://opensource.com/article/17/7/do-you-prefer-tabs-or-spaces
http://evelinag.com/blog/2017/06-20-stackoverflow-tabs-spaces-and-salary/index.html

quote:

Environments where people use Git and contribute to open source are more associated both with higher salaries and spaces, rather than with tabs.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don't really have any pressing needs in my personal life that need bespoke solutions made by myself, I don't have the perspective to do it in a professional capacity (lots more people have a better idea of what we devs need than I do), and I don't really have any OSS that I feel the need to contribute to. :shrug: I just don't do much open source stuff. Am I just unlearned/underexposed?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Pollyanna posted:

I don't really have any pressing needs in my personal life that need bespoke solutions made by myself, I don't have the perspective to do it in a professional capacity (lots more people have a better idea of what we devs need than I do), and I don't really have any OSS that I feel the need to contribute to. :shrug: I just don't do much open source stuff. Am I just unlearned/underexposed?

I think that's normal. I've only contributed to young projects with easy problems. The only time I noticed a problem in a mature project, one that I could actually fix, I found I couldn't easily navigate the code and tests, and soon had to move onto other problems at work.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
My entire contribution to OSS is adding a curly brace to a Javascript library where the maintainer clearly didn't run the Jasmine tests before accepting a different pull request.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
You don't have to contribute to OSS, it just provides a nice bullet point if there's really nothing else to evaluate you by.

I've only added a couple of minor things to AOSP (via others for dumb reasons I won't get into), and I never felt held back because of it.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

"Hey, I got this error

quote:

Can't send the faxes because the FaxSettings configuration is missing from the .config
What's that mean?"

Gosh that'll just have to be a mystery for the ages.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So we are going through and ESLinting all of our poo poo now, which is a great way to learn the ins and outs of the new stuff.
Holy gently caress we found some contractor that uses single letter variable names.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Open source stuff does not have to be useful to be valuable. A completely pointless toy project can still serve as fizzbuzz-equivalents to people making a hiring decision about you. I've even had a new developer email me profuse thanks me for making a clojure project: they didn't "use" it, but they were amazed to see you could "compile" third-party json into an API.

Don't wait for a useful idea to start making something, and don't wait for something to be perfect, finished, or even good to publish it. Paint in public.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

Open source stuff does not have to be useful to be valuable. A completely pointless toy project can still serve as fizzbuzz-equivalents to people making a hiring decision about you. I've even had a new developer email me profuse thanks me for making a clojure project: they didn't "use" it, but they were amazed to see you could "compile" third-party json into an API.

Don't wait for a useful idea to start making something, and don't wait for something to be perfect, finished, or even good to publish it. Paint in public.

I've been doing just this to have something just in case I ever need it. I decided just to make a forums software in Java & React because why not? I've been fumbling with it here and there since that goon who was going to redo the forums in elixer abandoned the project.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gildiss posted:

So we are going through and ESLinting all of our poo poo now, which is a great way to learn the ins and outs of the new stuff.
Holy gently caress we found some contractor that uses single letter variable names.

:psyduck: Did you never code review your contractor's work?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I highly doubt that code reviews are that popular in most companies. Yes, they should be done, but I'm thinking that a vast majority don't bother.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Volguus posted:

I highly doubt that code reviews are that popular in most companies. Yes, they should be done, but I'm thinking that a vast majority don't bother.

They've been standard in every company I've ever worked at, but I've only worked at 2 companies in the past 20 years. :)

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Pollyanna posted:

I think that actually risks making them classified as an employee. Maybe it depends on other risk factors.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Doc Hawkins posted:

This is a good point, although the converse is true; I've waved a red flag after looking at a candidate's github repo before an interview and managed to get the whole thing scrapped since their public codebase was a horror show.

sarehu posted:

I think that actually risks making them classified as an employee. Maybe it depends on other risk factors.

In what world would "hey let me check your work before we accept it" be grounds for classifying a contractor as an employee?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Oh we do. It's just there are only a few leads that actually care and the rest are either incompetent or have completely tuned out and just merged anything to make velocity go up.

Huge swaths of the codebase are no-go zones now because it's just a huge poo poo pile that the contractors live in and eat their own farts there.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Volmarias posted:

In what world would "hey let me check your work before we accept it" be grounds for classifying a contractor as an employee?

To actually be a contractor they should be working independently and delivering some form of completed work. This obviously doesn't mean that you can't review that completed work, but having them integrated in the same workflow as your FTEs is the sort of thing that makes the IRS suspicious, and a good routine code review process does involve more direct collaboration than is really appropriate.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I would have thought it was more like everyone is super busy so get some contractors on that but drat it everyone's busy so I guess we don't have time for a review and they say it works...

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
25-second eyeball gets half the job done

25-second eyeball would have caught this

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Plorkyeran posted:

To actually be a contractor they should be working independently and delivering some form of completed work. This obviously doesn't mean that you can't review that completed work, but having them integrated in the same workflow as your FTEs is the sort of thing that makes the IRS suspicious, and a good routine code review process does involve more direct collaboration than is really appropriate.

Almost every company I've ever worked for treated the contractors a bit differently (not invited to all staff meetings, crappy seating, etc) but they still collaborated directly with everyone and participated in the same development processes as everyone else they were working with. I don't really think it's that odd.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Most companies with 1099 employees are breaking the law. The IRS is very inconsistent about enforcing it; they cracked down on some companies a while back (10-15 years now?) and then haven't done much since.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Plorkyeran posted:

Most companies with 1099 employees are breaking the law. The IRS is very inconsistent about enforcing it; they cracked down on some companies a while back (10-15 years now?) and then haven't done much since.

A topical PSA: if you feel you're being 1099ed in error, you can file an SS-8 with the IRS to complain about it, and in my case, something actually came of it!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Got to sit in on an interview yesterday. It was interesting. Interesting, in that while I've read lots of stories about people who couldn't reason their way through fizzbuzz on a whiteboard, I never thought I'd actually experience it (or, in this case, an analogous problem).

I know that opinions on whiteboard tests are varied, but I've always felt like you should at least be able to pseudocode your way through some simple problems. It was...enlightening...to see a person who's been in the industry for a reasonably significant amount of time completely flail at reversing a list.

I mean, I understand that some people don't do well in the ad-hoc exam situation, and it's easy to let the stress get to you and blank you out, but man, if the interviewer has all but given you the answer and you still can't make the final logical leaps...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

To be fair, reversing a list is harder than fizz buzz, not equivalent. It's still shameful that anyone higher than "part way through community college" would fail at it though.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
java.util.Collections.reverse(list) :smug: no I refuse to explain how that method works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

CPColin posted:

java.util.Collections.reverse(list) :smug: no I refuse to explain how that method works

I don't like to assume I know how library functions actually work unless I've read the source. Sometimes they're quite unexpected.

Though for string reversal explicitly I can make a pretty good guess.