Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

you do not need to feel insecure about people liking a comedy thing you don't. humor truly is subjective and is not necessarily indicative of any lack of intelligence on your part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Also, Hollywood handbook is a lovely meander through nothing of note, and it sucks. If you like it, that doesn't speak badly of you: humor is subjective and you happen to like dumb crap that's awful.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I don't think there's an easy answer to "What is Hollywood Handbook?" anymore. It's just Sean and Hayes drifting in the wind and getting into as tight of a meta spiral as they can, while not committing to it at all. It's wonderful, and I agree with the poster that said it's one of my favorite podcasts now that they've dropped the segments and format, but I can definitely see why some don't dig that. I think I just like the show as a firehose for Sean's personality.

I loved the show before and still do. Sean has always been the bigger draw for me.....and his ability to pivot on a dime really fits this new format. I think that Hayes has really benefited from this loose format as well. The Mr. Hamburger minute from a few weeks ago was brilliant. Still the show that I look forward to every week.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

The_Rob posted:

His job of slamming dumpsters together always made me laugh. It's the silliest thing I've ever heard.

I loved that bit too. So absurd that it was genius. I'd also like them to once again ask a guest if making a girl cum is important. It's been a while since they've done that.....but it's always been out of nowhere......and it catches the guest off guard.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I have a hard time listening to HH just because they talk in such low energy and unenthusiastic voices that it's so easy for me to just tune out and not pay attention. The same goes for Tom Scharpling and his long pauses while talking.

At least for me when a CBB episode is going badly there's some interesting energy and radio voices to go off of.

I also accept that this is on me and I don't think people are horrible dumb stupid smelly monsters if they don't mind the way they talk, even though you're wrong and you suck

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Work Friend Keven posted:

Also, Hollywood handbook is a lovely meander through nothing of note, and it sucks. If you like it, that doesn't speak badly of you: humor is subjective and you happen to like dumb crap that's awful.
nah it's literally the best podcast.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

if we're talkin bout how we hate podcasts, im gonna say it
90% of all live hdtgm eps suck. gently caress the live audiences

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Terror Sweat posted:

"let's get some questions from our audience, i'm sure our audience has tons of questions about this movie," says paul scheer, as i turn the podcast off as soon as possible

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Terror Sweat posted:

I fell off of HDTGM not because of the fact that every episode is just yelling "WHAT" and "HUH" and (hopefully intentionally) misunderstanding pretty basic plot points, but because they've gone to almost exclusively live eps and even after a year and a half of that it still sounds like somebody recorded it with a directional mic set up in the back row.

Also, agreed, gently caress all live podcast audiences. It DEFINITELY became an audience participation show just because it's now in a live setting; the hosts are PRAYING that you, the drunk rear end in a top hat in the middle of the crowd, yells out an elaborate answer to every hypothetical they drop.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

piratepilates posted:

I have a hard time listening to HH just because they talk in such low energy and unenthusiastic voices that it's so easy for me to just tune out and not pay attention. The same goes for Tom Scharpling and his long pauses while talking.

At least for me when a CBB episode is going badly there's some interesting energy and radio voices to go off of.

I also accept that this is on me and I don't think people are horrible dumb stupid smelly monsters if they don't mind the way they talk, even though you're wrong and you suck

I couldn't disagree more, Sean always sounds like a little kid who's about to get away with something and he has a ton of energy in his voice.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The only good HDTGM episodes are the ones where they talk to the creators, like the Punisher and Crocodile Dundee ones. The Slash Film articles are great though.

I Was There Too should do more bad movies, that'd be the only way to do Bad Movir Podcast right.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

one of my closest friends tried listening to hollywood handbook but said he didn't like it and that it sounded like they were smirking about what they were saying while they were talking

"our show is mean." - hayes davenport

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

cams posted:

one of my closest friends tried listening to hollywood handbook but said he didn't like it and that it sounded like they were smirking about what they were saying while they were talking

I mean, he's not wrong about the smirking

cams
Mar 28, 2003

piratepilates posted:

I mean, he's not wrong about the smirking

oh most definitely, i was just sad to find out he didn't enjoy that like i did.

collin is my favorite new hollywood handbook character.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Help Im Alive posted:

idk if this was already known but Jessica McKenna and Zach Reino are doing an improvised musical podcast starting next Tuesday (it seems to be an actual podcast and not just a howl thing)

OFF BOOK: The Improvised Musical Teaser!

I was only lamenting yesterday that this needs a teaser because I'd likely forget it exists before subscribing, so thanks! So many of their songs are gonna get stuck in my head, I can tell.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I make MY WIFE listen to Hollywood handbook, and she always asks "why do they talk like that?" and I reply "Speak on that"

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I feel like a lot of my favorite moments also come from the relatively earlier episodes. Home-Mart or Sean's adventures with Brian Baumgartner are the highest highlights.

But you can't keep doing the same thing over and over and keep that kind of energy, and I still really like the modern format. It just doesn't have as many memorable moments for me

To use an amazingly smart analogy, the early episodes are like great pop music, but now they're doing
improvisational jazz

cams
Mar 28, 2003

see, there's the golden age of hollywood handbook, then the age of sharpling, and we are now in the post-sharpling age. perhaps, in the future, we will consider this the "last episode" era

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

cams posted:

Have him listen to 20 more episodes, he'll get it.

Also, yeah Colin is great and needs to be on more. I wouldn't mind more Kevin either. Not sure about Dana, though. Or that other dude in the office.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm pretty sure on some podcast Sean talked about how he has a voice that makes people think he's being a condescending dick, and that he's just kind of leaned into that persona. I can definitely see why HH isn't for everyone, but I think it's great. I kind of agree with the post about it being lower energy and find myself zoning out a little more if I'm distracted by something than I might with CBB though.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
At this point, the show could just be about doing other people's podcasts better than they do, and I'd love it.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
With Special Host Hayes and Sean. Where the guest is a host, and the hosts are also the hosts.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Have him listen to 20 more episodes, he'll get it.

Maybe people just don't like this bit, it's the same joke over and over again and it gets old quick.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
If you listen to it enough you'll finally "get" the joke: they're always lying. This takes 20 episodes because it's really hard to tell if the two living smirks are serious or not.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Everyone here is over analyzing things. It's all funny.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
They don’t bring up politics on the show, but Hayes was one of the first people at the protest at JFK airport during the initial Trump travel ban.

Here is a pic of the protest.

He is in the light grey hoodie looking like he’s about to drop a mixtape.

Their gimmick is lying 100% of the time, but that actually makes them the most truthful podcast of all. If George Washington couldn’t not tell a lie, he’d still be honest in a twisted sense.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

soggybagel posted:

Is it? Seems like the only people that need a deep analysis are the people who had to listen for 20 hours before they "got" it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tatumje posted:

He is in the light grey hoodie looking like he’s about to drop a mixtape.

Seemingly wearing the same outfit in the Chris Bannon, Our Close Boss episode photos. Just gonna record my goofy comedy show before rolling over to this major protest.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

soggybagel posted:

mmm yes speak on that

(is that better for you? in this thread for discussing earwolf shows?)

cams
Mar 28, 2003

ElCondemn posted:

Is it? Seems like the only people that need a deep analysis are the people who had to listen for 20 hours before they "got" it.
it is really okay that people enjoy a thing you do not enjoy. it does not reflect on you negatively.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

ElCondemn posted:

Maybe people just don't like this bit, it's the same joke over and over again and it gets old quick.
Ya man, it's a podcast. They're all running gags and callbacks.

We get it if you don't like subtle comedy, would prefer people being Scott telling screaming weirdos on CBB to please get off the table.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

My hot take is that it's okay for people to either like or not like an obscure comedy podcast, and it's really weird to be bothered by other people feeling differently about it.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I’ll take the high road. If you think HH is bad, you’re eh wrong.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Jess McKenna is taking over the gif world
https://twitter.com/OffBookPod/status/887774126869323776

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

cams posted:

it is really okay that people enjoy a thing you do not enjoy. it does not reflect on you negatively.

It is ok, I agree.

ManoliIsFat posted:

Ya man, it's a podcast. They're all running gags and callbacks.

We get it if you don't like subtle comedy, would prefer people being Scott telling screaming weirdos on CBB to please get off the table.

Right... are you guys loving with me? Subtle comedy? Maybe really I don't get it...

Sinteres posted:

My hot take is that it's okay for people to either like or not like an obscure comedy podcast, and it's really weird to be bothered by other people feeling differently about it.

My hot take, it's a discussion board about podcasts and I am trying to be funny by making fun of HH fans. It's especially funny to me when people get butt hurt over it even though this obscure podcast none of us have heard of called HH has been dominating the thread the past few pages.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

that musical thing sounds annoying to me and i shant be listening

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

guy who sounds like he has family guy half lidded eyes: The popcorn was TOO sharp

me: Wow... this is really subtle... it almost went over my head that popcorn isn't sharp but at the last minute I connected the dots....

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

God bless whoever added "Fight Haver (Fast Drive)" to Kumail Nanjiani's video game credits on Wikipedia.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Great group for I4H 300, always love Ian Roberts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hayes' impression of Scharpling's impression of Dice's impression of basically all women was pretty good