Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Horrible Taste posted:

Abigail is actually named after an album by King Diamond, which is also where he got his face paint from. A lot of the enemy names in Final Fight were music references.

Huh. Though I stand by there being some Animal inspiration in there considering the facepaint is exact and he has the mohawk.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

MKvDC had the powerful characters gasp "...magic?!" whenever someone would hit them for the first time

The main explanation was that the crossover portals were causing everyone's powers to fluctuate. Superman became gradually weaker while Joker became gradually stronger. There's even a scene where Sub-Zero's bragging about beating Superman and someone flat out says, "Yeah, you won because of bullshit storytelling. He'd destroy you any other day."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I'd be the happiest person alive if Yusuke and Kurama from Yu Yu hakusho were for some reason guest characters in dbz

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they won't be

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Arale will be the pre-order character.

Argento
Feb 19, 2004

Ladies, I'm back
Lipstick Apathy

Gavok posted:

You're thinking of Axl.

No, he was thinking of Chipp

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Blazblue/Guilty Gear franchises are the midweek discount on steam right now you guys.

dog house
Sep 13, 2012

Do people play BlazBlue on PC? Heard the port was kinda busted

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dog Hausu posted:

It seems fine.

Though I can't find myself buying Central Fiction cause there is no English Dub like all the other games.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
after buying it it seems real good to me so far

story mode is bad VN garbage as usual but there's singleplayer arcade mode and good tutorials/challenges

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

SectumSempra posted:

I'd be the happiest person alive if Yusuke and Kurama from Yu Yu hakusho were for some reason guest characters in dbz

same but sol badguy whos always in dragon install

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Dog Hausu posted:

It couldn't even run at 60fps for a bit after release, but it's been fixed now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

darealkooky posted:

same but sol badguy whos always in dragon install

same but Aino Heart

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
why would dbzf have guest characters

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Let's throw in some full metal alchemist characters to pull in more anime $$$. While we are at it add in one piece as well. Hell just make it Anime fighter vs.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Blockhouse posted:

why would an xmen fighting game have akuma in it?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why would Marvel vs. Capcom have Xmen?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dragon Ball x Chrono Trigger x Dragon Quest would be a seamless and perfect crossover game.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, if they really wanted to take over the universe, they'd stick Crono or Lucca in the first wave of DLC.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Reiley posted:

Dragon Ball x Chrono Trigger x Dragon Quest would be a seamless and perfect crossover game.

frog better be one of then

The KoRn Identity
Apr 9, 2009

anime was right posted:

geese fell off a tower on purpose and lived, bitch

it was his kagemusha.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Let's not forget Toriyama's masterwork:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgr5y0Jk5nM

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Blockhouse posted:

because anime

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
okay I should have phrased that better

I don't think dbfz will have any guest characters and I'm fine with that because there's ten thousand dragonball characters for them to use

at best we'll get arale or something

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Hey lads. I'm looking to buy a fightstick for the first time and an in-country manufacturer has kinda caught my eye. It's in bananaspeak so I'll translate the key points:

- Standard Sanwa parts all around, 30mm buttons, balltop ONLY on this version.

- Square gate restrictor.

- Plug-and-play, so I assume it's compatible with any fighting game that has rebindable keys.

- Acrylic top, "laser-cut" 6mm MDF body, 2.3 kilograms total, 40cm width, 18cm height, 26cm length.

- "NO DELAY" on the USB board, but I'm sure that's just vendor talk for "standard input delay you'd expect on any arcade board".

- Moddable, a choice of all sorts of pretty button colors AND the seller will switch the artwork on the top for whatever the buyer wants if desired.

- 88 dollars without shipping fees.

Use case: guy who only has a passing interest in fighting games and buys whatever is flavor of the month to have some fun with friends, which also happen to be amateurs. There are LOTS of listings for Hori Fightstick Mini's, which are only marginally less expensive and are total crap from what I've researched. The next tier up in price ranges from 150 dollar Xbox 360 used MadCatz fightsticks (I'd like to avoid "used" on a product like this) and outrageously priced 475 - 635 dollar Hori/MadCatz offerings.

My question: does it look worth the price? It looks like they've sold a decent amount, with reviews being almost universally positive. I'm not looking for incredible value or a stick I can take to tournaments, just a shoe box with good parts I can take out every now and then and have a "decent" experience in. In that case, it absolutely crushes everything else on the market in my eyes, but I thought I'd get a second opinion from people who actually know what they're doing.

(My bad if this isn't the place to ask for these things, but I couldn't find a "fighting game hardware" thread.)

Edit: ↓↓ I've asked what PCB it is, though I imagine it's nothing special. Gotta cut some costs somewhere, I guess.

OSad fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 19, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

without knowing the board it uses its hard to tell

if it was brooks or ps360+ then sure

its prolly grey market mayflash which is trash

idk though

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

realtalk i have a ps3 mlg stick with a ps360+ board if people are interested

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hey, I speak bananaspeak, so I can help you a lil' bit better, especially because I understand the price/quality ratio we're dealing with here.

First of all, it's not legit full Sanwa, it's knockoff parts, Whenever you hear "generic" around these parts, it's knockoff stuff for sure. I'm not super experienced with sticks since as you've noticed, they're a bit expensive in Brazil, so I can't attest to their durability/quality. I think they should be acceptable if you really want an arcade stick but you're not planning on putting serious hours anyway (cue the thread going "nooooo'" here). As for the PCB, cheapo homemade stuff tends to use these "Zero Delay" PCBs like this one here: https://www.focusattack.com/ps3-pc-zero-delay-usb-encoder-pcb-japan-style-controls/ . The dude didn't make it very clear with this "USB PC controller" answer, which made me think bad padhack - and you should run like the plague from bad padhacks because they make everything a pain in the rear end. However, the dude put Raspberry on the description and those USB encoders tend to be used for Raspberry projects so there's a good chance it's a Zero Delay board. It ain't GREAT (hell, it doesn't have a Home button) and it only works with legacy support on PS4, but at least it's very easy to replace/upgrade parts as needed.

I'unno if anyone here has had experience with those boards and parts, but yeah, to get anything better you're gonna have to spend four times as much. EFighters and 2nd Impact make really nice homemade stuff but they're priced at 1000 BRL, for instance. So if you MUST, wrangle the exact PCB info outta the seller and if it's not a crap padhack, go ahead. This kinda goes against the usual advice on these boards, but I mean...one of the best Cammys around here uses this poo poo:

https://twitter.com/f3brolynho/status/867930637289893888

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Dias posted:

First of all, it's not legit full Sanwa, it's knockoff parts, Whenever you hear "generic" around these parts, it's knockoff stuff for sure. I'm not super experienced with sticks since as you've noticed, they're a bit expensive in Brazil, so I can't attest to their durability/quality. I think they should be acceptable if you really want an arcade stick but you're not planning on putting serious hours anyway (cue the thread going "nooooo'" here).

drat, that sucks. If the holes are the right size, I should be able to buy proper Sanwa replacements later in case anything breaks, right? Those look really affordable at least, but they might be more of the knock-off stuff and I'm just caught in a knock-off loop.

As for the hours, the most serious I've ever gotten over a fighting game was Touhou Hisoutensoku so yeah, I'm probably never landing on EVO or anything. I've thought semi-seriously about becoming good in certain games like Skullgirls, Melty Blood and KoFXIII, but then I realized it's a fool's errand for someone like me - just getting proper practice in with people across the pond is hard enough because of the lag situation, not having a pad felt like throwing time in the fire since everyone that's even remotely serious about fighting games seems to have a fightstick, meanwhile I'm here trying to practice with an old and busted DS3 with drifting issues.

GGPO has been compensating extremely well for small-ish connection delays if the Steam version of Melty is anything to go by, and I can at least try and rectify my lack of arcade stick to a reasonable-but-small extent. So now that Tekken 7 is out and a few of my friends are addicted to it, maybe it's time to give fighting games another go.

Dias posted:

As for the PCB, cheapo homemade stuff tends to use these "Zero Delay" PCBs like this one here: https://www.focusattack.com/ps3-pc-zero-delay-usb-encoder-pcb-japan-style-controls/ . The dude didn't make it very clear with this "USB PC controller" answer, which made me think bad padhack - and you should run like the plague from bad padhacks because they make everything a pain in the rear end. However, the dude put Raspberry on the description and those USB encoders tend to be used for Raspberry projects so there's a good chance it's a Zero Delay board. It ain't GREAT (hell, it doesn't have a Home button) and it only works with legacy support on PS4, but at least it's very easy to replace/upgrade parts as needed.

I only play games on my PC so any compatibility issues with consoles can be safely ignored... hopefully. It is kinda concerning coming across some weird solution which would introduce some 2/3ms of delay though, hopefully when he says "there's no delay", he literally means it's one of those Zero Delay boards you linked.

Dias posted:

I'unno if anyone here has had experience with those boards and parts, but yeah, to get anything better you're gonna have to spend four times as much. EFighters and 2nd Impact make really nice homemade stuff but they're priced at 1000 BRL, for instance. So if you MUST, wrangle the exact PCB info outta the seller and if it's not a crap padhack, go ahead.

gently caress import tariffs in Brazil. If I didn't have the looming threat of paying more than half the cost of the stick I bought on top of its price, I would've gone to ArcadeShock or Amazon and bought myself an entry-level pad years ago.

Regardless, I have my finger on the checkout button on this one... just waiting for the guy to answer what kinda PCB is in it (he'll probably give the same answer he's giving everybody, "It's a PC controller, wires are soldered onto the board, there's no delay.") and if he can give me a layout of the buttons in a .PSD file so I can slap some artwork I shamelessly stole from DA on top of it and see if it turns out okay. Even if it's a weird hackjob, I'll probably still buy it since the value proposition is really that good. When it gets here, I'll open it up and take some pics, if it's hosed up, oh well, I thankfully didn't break the bank buying it.

Dias posted:

This kinda goes against the usual advice on these boards, but I mean...one of the best Cammys around here uses this poo poo

Jesus... this takes stick DIY's to a whole new level. Guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

realtalk i have a ps3 mlg stick with a ps360+ board if people are interested

I'm interested in just the PS360+ PCB if you're willing to piece that out!

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

A.o.D. posted:

Bosses from fighting games, and SNK games in particular are known for having bullshit powers, filling the screen full of garbage you can't get past, and having a bunch of gimmicks that set them apart from the rest of the cast. They're gods, demons, 50 foot tall psychic monstrosities, possessors of the sacred doohickey, or some other such nonsense. In any event, they're almost never on a level playing field with you.

Not Geese Howard. He's no more inherently powerful than anyone else, he's just more skilled, and he earned that skill the old fashioned way. Hard work, loyalty to his underlings, and murdering anyone that got in his way. Most bosses that you get to play as are clearly nerfed versions of the story version. In most cases, the Geese you get to play as is the Geese you have to fight against.

He's fun to play as, is a well rounded, honest character that rewards hard reads and setups, and plays well in any phase of the match.

Also, landing a counter (and Geese was the very first counter character) always feels super badass.

gently caress me, I just effort posted.

THIS IS GREAT. Thanks for the effort. I read it twice and now I'm also excited for Geese Howard in Tekken 7.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

he1ixx posted:

THIS IS GREAT. Thanks for the effort. I read it twice and now I'm also excited for Geese Howard in Tekken 7.

You can play him in KOF 14 too!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Which of these games is the best?

Fatal Fury Special
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
King of Fighters 98
King of Fighters 99

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Which of these games is the best?

Fatal Fury Special
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
King of Fighters 98
King of Fighters 99

Kof 98

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I want to introduce my 9 year old to some fighting games. I pretty much suck at them but have always enjoyed them. My first fighter was SF2 on the SNES, which I also sucked at.

I have a PS3 and a 360 Madcatz TE fightstick from a few years ago. I'm guessing that I won't get the ps3 one working on my PC without a lot of bullshit, but I can use a 360 wired controller and let him use the fight stick.

What game do you think I should run through with him and get him into? I have SF4 on steam, SF5 on ps4, and a handful of KoF/MK/etc on steam and ps4.

He's only 9 so I don't think I am going to teach him all that much technical poo poo, but I'd like him to get a feel for fighters.

edit: I also have access to everything NEO GEO via mame, or collections on Steam

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The ps3 stick works on pc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chinook posted:

I want to introduce my 9 year old to some fighting games. I pretty much suck at them but have always enjoyed them. My first fighter was SF2 on the SNES, which I also sucked at.

I have a PS3 and a 360 Madcatz TE fightstick from a few years ago. I'm guessing that I won't get the ps3 one working on my PC without a lot of bullshit, but I can use a 360 wired controller and let him use the fight stick.

What game do you think I should run through with him and get him into? I have SF4 on steam, SF5 on ps4, and a handful of KoF/MK/etc on steam and ps4.

He's only 9 so I don't think I am going to teach him all that much technical poo poo, but I'd like him to get a feel for fighters.

edit: I also have access to everything NEO GEO via mame, or collections on Steam

vanguard princess

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Chinook posted:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Is he excited about them? Does he like watching you play?

In any case the best person to ask this question of is probably your kid himself.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
dead or alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
When I was 9 I played Street Fighter II and Street Fighter Alpha on the arcade cabs at our laundrymat, but I gravitated away from them pretty quickly because there were no human beings to play against and I thought they were just shittier versions of beat-em-ups like Golden Axe or Bad Dudes vs. Dragon Ninja.