Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Howard Zinn owns, try not to get worked up over them bullshitting about fantasy maps in a nerdbook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

CHOMSKY: But without the pipe-weed, Middle Earth would fall apart. Saruman is trying to break up Gandalf’s pipe-weed ring. He’s trying to divert it.

ZINN: Well, you know, it would be manifestly difficult to believe in magic rings unless everyone was high on pipe-weed. 

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

WatermelonGun posted:

Maybe read a story about something other than wizards?

i read about a lot of things, sometimes about wizards, furthermore, eat my butt

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I know they're just joking, but it's a lame loving joke.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Unknowable Hole posted:

Tom Bombadil is the fuckin man. Bunch of fat goons jealous of him and his hot wife.

Hey there hi there ho there my hearties
Tom's got the good poo poo, now it's time to party.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

CHOMSKY: Almost a cat-like eye.

ZINN: It’s on fire. Somehow being an on-fire eye is this terrible thing in the minds of those in Middle Earth. I think this is a way of telling others in Middle Earth to be ashamed of their eyes. 

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Tom Bombadil supposed to be the good half of the same dude that's the witch king or some poo poo I forget what according to learned nerds of the ringdom, discuss

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

i read about a lot of things, sometimes about wizards, furthermore, eat my butt

Space wizards are still wizards

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Fat Jesus posted:

Tom Bombadil supposed to be the good half of the same dude that's the witch king or some poo poo I forget what according to learned nerds of the ringdom, discuss

http://km-515.livejournal.com/1042.html

:tinfoil:

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
he is the secret best character cause he is a trickster

how many years did it take people to figure out his deal? thats good stuff

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

WatermelonGun posted:

Maybe read a story about something other than wizards?

What the gently caress, man. What the gently caress

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Caesar Saladin posted:

authors are generally a bunch of weirdo freaks that subject you to their fetishes and sexual fantasies when you're just trying to read a story about wizards

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i'm a wizard irl so when i read about wizards its like i'm reading important non fiction

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
the hobbit is a fine morality play for children in the same way narnia is a fine picture book bible for dumb idiot babies, but i'm gonna say both of them were made obsolete by harry potter which isn't great literature but is good for kids.

tolkien was loving terrible at writing tho

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
I won't give C something Lewis too much poo poo about Narnia since the holy bible is basically the mother of all fantasy books :smuggo:

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Which versions the theatrical editions or the extended editions? The Ralph Bakshi version or the Rankin/Bass version?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Chomsky and Zinn: the original Fashion SWAT.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Gianthogweed posted:

Which versions the theatrical editions or the extended editions? The Ralph Bakshi version or the Rankin/Bass version?

The Gene Deitch version.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

mind the walrus posted:

I know they're just joking, but it's a lame loving joke.

it's a parody. Chomsky and Zinn did not actually say this.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I realized that after the follow-up post. I b bangin

Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Fat Jesus posted:

Tom Bombadil, is just this guy, you know?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
the silmarillion is from an autist for autists, it should be the autismarillion.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Rutibex posted:

the hobbit cartoon is superior to the hobbit book.

Where there's a whip
There's a way

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Avirosb posted:

Tom Bom is basically God and when you're God you can afford to give no fucks

Been a while since I read the books. Was that his deal?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Tom Bombadil is literally a character from Tolkien's children's stories that he had cameo in LOTR. It's basically like the time Uncle Grandpa showed up in Steven Universe.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the books are a bajillion times better than the movies, OP. You must be insanely retarded lol.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
My favorite book chapter was the one with the orcs bickering while being chase-stalked by the Rohirrim.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Smythe posted:

the books are a bajillion times better than the movies, OP. You must be insanely retarded lol.

He has a point about all the dumb songs and poems though, otherwise absolutely.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
The real reason for so many songs and poems is because Tolkien was creating a mythos in the style of medieval epic poems, sagas, etc. Most of which are 99% that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
A Lord of the Rings movie musical would actually be way better than what we got.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

sassassin posted:

A Lord of the Rings movie musical would actually be way better than what we got.

If performed on roller skates like Starlight Express it would be the best loving thing ever.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Tolkien never mentioned roller-skates in his writing afaik.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

sassassin posted:

He never mentioned toilets either but I assume they went to the bathroom somewhere

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

sassassin posted:

Totally did. I think it's in one of the long pedantic obscure histories.

Let me reference my library.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

He never mentioned toilets either but I assume they went to the bathroom somewhere

Bilbo has several bathrooms in his mansion the posh git.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Did they ever make a LotR version of 'Oregon's Trail'?

• Locked thread