Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

xanif posted:

The hell is FUD?

Fear Uncertainty and Doubt.

A term originally coined by a formed IBM engineer who had started his own competing company, which IBM tried to combat by seeding exactly that among potential customers by suggesting that “yeah, that clone is neat, but you know, we'll be releasing [important IBM hardware or software update] soon, and it's quite possible that it won't be compatible any more, sooooo…”.

Basically, a strategy of making a particular product pick less enticing by inventing a hypothetical risk based on some imagined future, thereby steering those customers towards your own “safe” alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

xanif posted:

The hell is FUD?

The original definition was "Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt". But these days, I find the definition "Facts U Dislike" to be the most appropriate when someone screams about FUD.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Which is funny because when anyone discredits CIG it isn't FUD.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

gently caress YOU FOR SAYING IT SUCKS

Yeah it's probably going to suck don't worry about it

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Which is funny because when anyone discredits CIG it isn't FUD.

…whereas a lot of the stuff that's supposed to be in support of SC certainly takes that form: “silly people playing [ ED | CoD | Tetris | Cities Skylines | whatever ] — SC will obsolete all other games.” As if not picking it now somehow locked you out of playing the best whatever ever at some later stage.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, and that's why people "spread FUD". Pâte is tasty.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Basically, a strategy of making a particular product pick less enticing by inventing a hypothetical risk based on some imagined future, thereby steering those customers towards your own “safe” alternative.

To extend a little further, it was used a lot by the *nix crowd against the microsoft crowd because MS liked to do the same thing; 'open source has no value because nobody pays for it' was a common tactic, so it's become somewhat associated with the people that like to yell things about 'sheeple', too.

The person using it is probably in their forties and has a grudge. Or is Richard Stallman. Or Eric Raymond.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Percelus posted:

http://massivelyop.com/2017/07/19/star-citizen-followers-react-to-server-capacity-star-system-count-news/

backers in the comment section are eating this poo poo sandwich and complimenting the chef, this site is great at never scrutinizing any project or bad game

I have a genuine hate feeling towards this " site "
They produce zero articles, they all grab em from other sites ( I assume with consent )
Also, gently caress them for actually making money of other peoples hard work.

Ah the age of patreon and whatnot.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Sorry for doxxing, but I found a video of Chris and Sandi's home life. (it's not looking good in the Robert's household...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZl5-XQ5l9s

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Drunk Theory posted:

"Facts U Dislike"

There might be some truth to this statement.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I was going to tell Cymelion I got a full refund, but Beet already provided an acceptable answer.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

No one would admit to reading dereks blog except derek himself

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hav posted:

Or is Richard Stallman.

RMS taking a shower is a stretch goal you know.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Maw posted:

Free Tophat imo

Derek Smart, I'm here to bargain

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I was going to tell Cymelion I got a full refund, but Beet already provided an acceptable answer.

My bad, I forgot to log in to the GOON TROLLING AND GRIEFING CENTRAL MAINFRAME to coordinate my posts with you.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Theory posted:

The original definition was "Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt". But these days, I find the definition "Facts U Dislike" to be the most appropriate when someone screams about FUD.

But are those truly facts or are they the truth?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Mr.Tophat posted:

Derek Smart, I'm here to bargain

thread is good again :five:

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
and has anyone made an alternative facts joke yet?

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Engaging Lethality seems so loving exhausting.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Nicholas posted:

Super mario brothers has more worlds than star citizen lol

This should be repeated when citizens blubber and bargain

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

My bad, I forgot to log in to the GOON TROLLING AND GRIEFING CENTRAL MAINFRAME to coordinate my posts with you.

What's the limit of concurrent goons on this server?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I'm looking forward to exploring world 6-1, this game respects my choices because I can either access it via a pipe, normal level progression, or by tilting the console!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Am I in the trump thread because I must post everytime I lol

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Danknificent posted:

and has anyone made an alternative facts joke yet?

Those aren't facts, they are :biotruths:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
By the way, this is why I love G0RF's typing. Only back 1-2 days, and already has caused the citizens a massive shitstorm.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

:reddit: trying to defend the 5-10 planets thing by claiming that it doesn't matter because actually those planets will be "full scale" and so chock-full of content it makes up for them not fulfilling the 100 systems promise is the best thing. There is no way in hell they will ever be able to populate even a single realistically sized planet with enough content to make it a satisfactory experience. I would toxx for this but it's loving blindingly obvious to anyone who isn't dazzled by the crobber's hypnotic arm movements that this is an outlandish idea which will never, ever happen. It's hard to see how the fuckwits will even manage a single small empty planet you can land on, let alone one that is "full scale" and filled with actual gameplay. They haven't even been able to provide a decent amount of content for the couple of stations they've currently got.

Percelus posted:

my favorite are the star citizens who poo poo on elite dangerous for selling moderately priced purely cosmetic dlc because for some reason it's more egregious than a $16k completionist package that gives an ingame advantage

cross posting from the ED thread

Anticheese posted:

Someone a few pages back asked something about how many Star Citizen ships the cost of all the Elite Dangerous cosmetics would buy.

I have found the answer to that dumb question after a couple hours of getting to grips with Python again...An appropriate tool given the snake theme of so many Elite Dangerous ships.

There is a grand total of £946.5 worth of cosmetics available at the time of writing, which translates to $1239 US, or otherwise $11 short of one Idris-P corvette.

It's late and I put in way too much effort to answer a dumb question, but I'll export the data tomorrow and tidy up the source code to make sure the figure is accurate. Either way, the fact remains that Star Citizen has had two ships for sale that cost more than every last cosmetic item in an already released game. :eng101:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Sabreseven posted:

"Stop spreading FUD"

"Please protect our insular and broken community of sheeple and help them maintain their illusions"

"The negativity is probably correct, but there's no reason for us to acknowledge it"

"Please don't call us a cult, even though we behave exactly like one"

Do not touch the glass, animals contained within are unaware of their captivity (this state of mind is known amongst professionals as 'immersion')

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Constant iteration is expected.

Last update: 12 months ago.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Roberts solution will be to release their own SC console to gently caress over Sony and Microsoft.

OUYA 2

The most powerful console ever, due to it being 32 OUYAs taped 2 gether!

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Drunk Theory posted:

By the way, this is why I love G0RF's typing. Only back 1-2 days, and already has caused the citizens a massive shitstorm.

quite amazing when you think about it.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Your five cents is almost always a novelty size slug

I think I've cracked the reason why you punched up a coke machine, it was getting wise to your scams

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

My inner thoughts are a 24/7 loop of Waylon Jennings going "Oh them Roberts boys got themselves in a whole mess o' trouble this time! How're they ever gonna get outta this pickle?!"

e: that just reminded me I made this what seems like ages ago lol, I need to update it but there's no more room on the cop car.

You clearly just need to increase the scope of the cop car so you can fit more on it :colbert:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to think that if Star Citizen ever releases, the 1979 release of Asteroids will still have better flight mechanics

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Engaging Lethality seems so loving exhausting.

And he's one of the most reasonable ones. Just remember that he realizes that CR lies and overpromises a lot.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

What's the limit of concurrent goons on this server?

Well, currently the server only handles up to 8 before it starts stretching out posts and jamming them inside other posts like a horrible Cronenberg machine, but we left the "max users" tab blank, so theoretically there's no limit!

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Pavlov may have trained a dozen or so dogs, but Chris Roberts mentally enslaved tens of thousands of grown adult humans.

Think about that.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mr.Tophat posted:

Your five cents is almost always a novelty size slug

I think I've cracked the reason why you punched up a coke machine, it was getting wise to your scams

It's a custom slammer! Worth way more than 5 cents!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Didn't Derek sell early access packages costing up to 100 bucks for lod?