Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm not allowed to eat them in the house.

Same but I just wait until my wife leaves the room.
drat kids always dropping dimes tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Caught a limit of crabs. Picked it's close to two pounds of meat.

Papa Murphy crab pizza. Woo!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Crab meat on a pizza seems like such a waste.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I ate a tin of cheap sardines over the sink while cooking real food for my husband earlier :discourse: :rip:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

Crab meat on a pizza seems like such a waste.

I caught my limit in 45 minutes today and my kids got limits too.

I'm loving swimming in crab.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Crab pizza is cool.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It's loving delicious.

I think I found my signature dish.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Renegret posted:

I described fisherman's eggs to my gf and she told me she threw up a little in her mouth.

Honestly that makes me a happy because it means I run no risk of having to share my dines in the future

:sever:

Mushika posted:

My wife introduced me to sardines, so we pretty much always keep some on hand.

:coolfish:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

The Snoo posted:

I ate a tin of cheap sardines over the sink while cooking real food for my husband earlier :discourse: :rip:
Eating sardines over the sink isn't real food???????

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

I caught my limit in 45 minutes today and my kids got limits too.

I'm loving swimming in crab.

You are living my crab dreams, and I wish that I was a third of the fisherman that you are. I'm still trying to find my crab spots. So far it's down to "Not Port Townsend."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Well it would be even better if they were the slightly larger dungeness but red rock crabs are just as tasty.

My weekend catch and I ate every drat one.
South Kitsap County.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Of interest to most of you here, The AV Club just wrote an article on the greatness of herring, "the cheap, healthy fish most Americans are overlooking."
http://www.avclub.com/article/herring-cheap-healthy-fish-most-americans-are-over-258041

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Anchovy question: Are canned anchovies always salty/supposed to be enjoyed as is? Or are you supposed to rinse them or do something with them before you eat or cook with them?

I love me some fishies, and making pasta and salad dressing with salty anchovies and oil, but it always seems way too overpowering when you put them on pizza.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Well it would be even better if they were the slightly larger dungeness but red rock crabs are just as tasty.

My weekend catch and I ate every drat one.
South Kitsap County.

:drat: Holy poo poo this is what I'm talking about.

MetaJew posted:

Anchovy question: Are canned anchovies always salty/supposed to be enjoyed as is? Or are you supposed to rinse them or do something with them before you eat or cook with them?

I love me some fishies, and making pasta and salad dressing with salty anchovies and oil, but it always seems way too overpowering when you put them on pizza.

Anchovies are extremely strong and salty compared to dines. Either can be eaten out of the can, but anchovies usually aren't eaten plain. You don't need to rinse or prep them; they aren't like salt cod or something. They're just strong. Plain anchovy pizza is fine, but I think it generally has broader appeal if it's anchovies and a couple of other complimentary toppings.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
So 'dines in tomato sauce is IMO pretty lowbrow but I think that's what this thread is kind of about. California Girl brand makes a large can with some bigass dines in tomato sauce and lemme tell you they are real good eatin, particularly roadside with some crackers halfway across the country. I am thinking about using two cans to make a pizza with some good cheese.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Admiral Bosch posted:

So 'dines in tomato sauce is IMO pretty lowbrow but I think that's what this thread is kind of about. California Girl brand makes a large can with some bigass dines in tomato sauce and lemme tell you they are real good eatin, particularly roadside with some crackers halfway across the country. I am thinking about using two cans to make a pizza with some good cheese.

"California Girl" does sound pretty lowbrow. Are you a Dad? Did you have any idiot kids screaming "how much farther"? I once ate a tin of 'dines on the shoulder of a major interstate in the loving US desert wasteland while waiting for AAA to show up and fix some poo poo with my 5 goddamn hellspawn screaming at me. Wife was drinking wine. She has her escape, I have mine :coolfish:

naem
May 29, 2011

are we there yet

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

anchovies and a couple of other complimentary toppings.

I've always wanted to try anchovies on pizza, but I'm afraid I'll hate it and have ruined an entire pizza. What are "complimentary" toppings for 'chovies?

naem
May 29, 2011

They don't have kalamata olives at my pizza place anymore :(

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Q_res posted:

I've always wanted to try anchovies on pizza, but I'm afraid I'll hate it and have ruined an entire pizza. What are "complimentary" toppings for 'chovies?

Other strong flavors prolly. Banana peppers, pepperoni.

I love fish and every once in a while I get a hankering for anchovy pizza. I order one and have one slice and that's more than enough. It's like having a cigar every 18 months or so. That's enough - not necessarily bad, but I don't want that again for a long time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sounds like a take and bake

theres a will theres moe posted:

Other strong flavors prolly. Banana peppers, pepperoni.

I love fish and every once in a while I get a hankering for anchovy pizza. I order one and have one slice and that's more than enough. It's like having a cigar every 18 months or so. That's enough - not necessarily bad, but I don't want that again for a long time.

You gotta try a crab pizza.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

but anchovies usually aren't eaten plain.

:colbert:

also make some pizza dough, or buy some from like trader joe's (their herb dough is so good) and make a pizza with anchovies on like half of it. if you end up not liking it, you didn't waste a whole pizza. if you do, more anchovies for next time!

I like anchovies and feta on homemade pizzas.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

pahuyuth posted:

"California Girl" does sound pretty lowbrow. Are you a Dad? Did you have any idiot kids screaming "how much farther"? I once ate a tin of 'dines on the shoulder of a major interstate in the loving US desert wasteland while waiting for AAA to show up and fix some poo poo with my 5 goddamn hellspawn screaming at me. Wife was drinking wine. She has her escape, I have mine :coolfish:

I am not, but I remember being one of four hellspawn, complaining vehemently I'm sure, when the ol vista cruiser broke down yet again on another family trip to the beach or wherever. I inherited many dadly qualities, but I don't think I'll ever pass them on.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Anchovies are just too good drat salty

The taste is good but I just can't get over all the added salt. Certainly there has to be an alternative somewhere

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Renegret posted:

Anchovies are just too good drat salty

The taste is good but I just can't get over all the added salt. Certainly there has to be an alternative somewhere

there is! fortunate for you there is this delicious thing called

kippered herring

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Roki B posted:

kippered herring

Hell yeah

I have a can I think I'll eat it for lunch

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Roki B posted:

boquerones

Ftfy

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I said usually. You are allowed to like what you want to like.

As to complimentary flavors, Forums User theres a will theres moe is right. You're looking for other strong flavors that can stand up to the salty-fishiness. Cured meats and brined things are great for this, and some people like onions and peppers with them, too.

Clavavisage posted:

Ftfy boquerones

FINALLY somebody understands what I have been trying to say. Let us look to Spain for our pickled white anchovies, which are entirely different from the salty canned fillets. You can eat boquerones by themselves all day long.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I've seen the white anchovies in the fish cold case at a local grocery store but $$$$$

I would like to try them, though.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

In Spain (at least in Andalusia) they are in every tapas bar and restaurant, and you can buy them at grocery stores for nothing. If they didn't need to be refrigerated I'd import them by the case.

Basically what I'm trying to say is go to Spain and eat every fish that you can, canned or otherwise.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

In Spain (at least in Andalusia) they are in every tapas bar and restaurant, and you can buy them at grocery stores for nothing. If they didn't need to be refrigerated I'd import them by the case.

Basically what I'm trying to say is go to Spain and eat every fish that you can, canned or otherwise.

More fresh crab pizza tonight.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

More fresh crab pizza tonight.

Goddamnit I'm so jealous. Now you've got me thinking about rock crab meat on a thin crust with a garlic white sauce and it makes so much sense.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Goddamnit I'm so jealous. Now you've got me thinking about rock crab meat on a thin crust with a garlic white sauce and it makes so much sense.

garlic white sauce.... hrm next time. I caught so much loving crab these last two weeks I've actually declined to set my pots today.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

sometimes we order papa johns when it's 50% off cos you can get a lot of food that isn't pizza for really cheap, and I like to get the little cup of anchovies on the side because it's 50 cents

they were probably in a rush/it's late and didn't have a can open already so they just gave us this whole thing lol

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

The Snoo posted:

sometimes we order papa johns when it's 50% off cos you can get a lot of food that isn't pizza for really cheap, and I like to get the little cup of anchovies on the side because it's 50 cents

they were probably in a rush/it's late and didn't have a can open already so they just gave us this whole thing lol

:hellyeah:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Picked up some Polar 'dines in mustard from Grocery Outlet. Haven't had their dines before, but their kipper snacks are top notch so I have high hopes for a drunk snack eaten over the sink late tonight.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
I made my own tomato sauce for the first time and it was fantastic. A 28 oz can of San Marino tomatoes, 1/4 cup of olive oil, a whole tin of King Oscar anchovies, and 10 large cloves of garlic, crushed. So flavorful and savory I'm never going to buy sauce at the store again.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Made my own California rolls today but really they were more burritos because I suck at making sushi.

Fresh crab really kicked it up a notch.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I forgot tiny tots were the perfect size for triscuits and not for slices of sourdough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Herr Tog posted:

I forgot tiny tots were the perfect size for triscuits and not for slices of sourdough

Just put more on the bread :eng101: