Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Take wildstar for example, if it didn't pump out one patch a month the community went in a uproar.
Yet CIG can produce one eeny weeny patch in a whole year and be the NEXT THING IN GAMING.

It's because this is, quite frankly, a cult. The SC community has so much skin in the game that their very selfworth is being challenged by the idea that this project will not succeed. Hence the constant rationalization that things will work out in the end. Better that than to face their own personal failures and lack of judgment now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

MinorInconvenience posted:

It's because this is, quite frankly, a cult. The SC community has so much skin in the game that their very selfworth is being challenged by the idea that this project will not succeed. Hence the constant rationalization that things will work out in the end. Better that than to face their own personal failures and lack of judgment now.

true,

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Admitting that you were a chump and a sucker is the hardest thing; so much easier to just play along and hope things turn out.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

peter gabriel posted:

The 'gaming public' or whatever are not tearing CIG a new rear end in a top hat purely because nothing has been released yet.
It's all fevered imaginings and perfection until something plops into retail somehow.
At that point CIG are hosed because SQ42 for example can't just be good, it can't just be really good - it has to be mindfuckingblowing or there will be uproar. The really cool thing is Chris hasn't got a mind blowing game in him and it will be poo poo.
Once this thing releases it will be a bloodbath.

I've got to disagree with you and by proxy everyone else who keeps saying this. I think it's because of No Man's Sky, but that was a very different audience and a very widespread hype campaign that generated a lot of attention in the run-up before publicly flaming out while interest was still high. Which is weird because it seemed kind of blatantly scammy to me. That's a tangent though. SC is different- it's worn down the interest of most people, and I think it'll follow the standard MMO path.

Generally these fly-by-night MMO's don't even leave a splash when they hit the bowl. Sure, some people will be pissed, but look at Archeage or Black Desert or EQ Landmark or Firefall or Wildstar or or or. Every single one goes the same way- enormous hype to generate fans, then creeping indications that it's crap, but fans defend it. Turns out to be crap, most people abandon it, die hard fans still defend it. Studio gives up on any semblance of not-being-crap, institutes blatant p2w poo poo, everyone's gone by then and it no longer matters, die hard fans continue to defend it. Some articles come out when it finally dies but nobody on r/Games or any other major content aggregator is paying any attention.

Depending on how you look at it, CIG is either still on step one, hype generation, or well into the final step, blatant p2w. Either way, it's going to rocket into obsolescence when it finally "Releases" and I think the only people who will take notice are long winded games journalists who will write really terrible "Where did it all go wrong?" think pieces and the people in this thread. It isn't even a blip on the average gamer's radar: witness, for example, their twitch streams and youtube channel views. People just do not give a poo poo about Star Citizen. To me that makes the whole thing funnier.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

I really love what you've done here and how you explained it. I'm a programmer so I have lots of respect for guys who can build stuff like this. Even really basic games are not easy to actually make, and I know people have little appreciation for it.

I think it's very cool that you've got a lot of thins CIG is trying to do ironed out already.

I think the biggest difference between you and CR is that you're a programmer and he's very much a thumb who wants to be an artist.

Every point you make is good, but it all requires programming talent. Something that CR has avoided since day 0 when he had CryTech make his own game demo (and could still barely handle it even then). Today is no different, and I feel like CR is in full time "obscure it with art!" type development where all the hard stuff is never dealt with or talked about, but hidden behind a layer of pretty.

You have the opposite, where there's lots of programming talent but not nearly the same quality of art. Though it looks like CIG is working hard at getting a convoluted flight system with lots of buttons. Probably not because of functionality but because that's all they can mod in to make a number change somewhere that will in turn do a thing for them.

In your "all they had to do" part, yes. They should have done all this, but I have this funny feeling they are still working with minimal or nonexistent tools, and still in the normal CryEngine/lumberyard level editor. Their lead programmer is a modder, which isn't bad but there's a pretty considerable difference between the act of modding a thing and actually creating a new thing from nothing.

I would not care though except for how many lies this project was built on, and how it propelled some really gross people way above their normal capabilities. I'd be happy if they just come clean with everybody.

Yeah, they were focused on winning backers with pretty pictures. And they succeeded. Then when it came time to build and deliver the game, they realized that there was no tech to power the pretty pictures. I mean, the CitizenCon 2016 stream was the biggest indicator when they tried to pass of that poo poo as actual 3.0. Back when a lot of people (even guys here btw) were thinking it was real, Goons on my Discord and I were laughing our asses off because the minute I saw it, I knew that there was NO loving WAY that was anything but a proof of concept demo running in a controlled environment. I wrote a blog. A lot of noise happened. CIG had to come clean. They made a loving "Road To CitizenCon" video.

The Titanic posted:

By the way, Derek, thank you for sharing your internal screens and development stuff. I know it's old but it's always exciting to see how somebody attacked a problem to solve it. It's very cool and I appreciate it. :)

You're welcome. I love this stuff. Sadly, it's never received all that well around here when I share technical stuff. That's why I try to shy away from doing it. But this time, I had no choice because a LOT of people really don't have a clue how this stuff is done, and they're the ones most confused by all the bullshit coming out of CIG and Shitizens.

I mean, I did this poo poo almost three decades ago back when I had to build every loving thing myself - no middleware. Even that PTEStudio tool right now will crash (MFC bullshit) if I move the window when its running. I'm too scared to even go in and fix it. The last time I built it was back in 2008!! It still works. And I even included it in the UCCE 3.0 modding tools I released a few months back on Steam.

It's hilarious to me that CIG and Shitizens are touting "revolutionary" tech, when all this already exists in some form or another. The only thing they're revolutionizing is incompetence and wastefulness.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Yup. Was it GameStar by any chance, and do you have a link to the article?

PCGames magazine, I found it here http://www.dsogaming.com/news/star-citizen-new-screenshots-and-details-for-version-2-7-unveiled/

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Good thread title.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

FMguru posted:

Admitting that you were a chump and a sucker is the hardest thing; so much easier to just play along and hope things turn out.

Ayup. Admitting failure (and then trying to rectify it) is, in fact, one of the hallmarks of a strong character. I believe at least one of our esteemed mods and other "haters" here fall into that category. It's not a personal failing to be taken in and defrauded, but it is a personal failing to continue to defend the fraudster when the evidence starts to swing the other way.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Sarsapariller posted:

I've got to disagree with you and by proxy everyone else who keeps saying this. I think it's because of No Man's Sky, but that was a very different audience and a very widespread hype campaign that generated a lot of attention in the run-up before publicly flaming out while interest was still high. Which is weird because it seemed kind of blatantly scammy to me. That's a tangent though. SC is different- it's worn down the interest of most people, and I think it'll follow the standard MMO path.

Generally these fly-by-night MMO's don't even leave a splash when they hit the bowl. Sure, some people will be pissed, but look at Archeage or Black Desert or EQ Landmark or Firefall or Wildstar or or or. Every single one goes the same way- enormous hype to generate fans, then creeping indications that it's crap, but fans defend it. Turns out to be crap, most people abandon it, die hard fans still defend it. Studio gives up on any semblance of not-being-crap, institutes blatant p2w poo poo, everyone's gone by then and it no longer matters, die hard fans continue to defend it. Some articles come out when it finally dies but nobody on r/Games or any other major content aggregator is paying any attention.

Depending on how you look at it, CIG is either still on step one, hype generation, or well into the final step, blatant p2w. Either way, it's going to rocket into obsolescence when it finally "Releases" and I think the only people who will take notice are long winded games journalists who will write really terrible "Where did it all go wrong?" think pieces and the people in this thread. It isn't even a blip on the average gamer's radar: witness, for example, their twitch streams and youtube channel views. People just do not give a poo poo about Star Citizen. To me that makes the whole thing funnier.

i'd like to respectfully disagree on one point. I think that the failure of star citizen will be relatively big news. With a crowd funded budget of over $150 million, it's size will make it ripe fodder for just about all journalists. I expect to see at least a mention of it in the WSJ.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Derek, hear me out for a second.

What would happen if you went dark for a week or two. No posting, at least about SC, anywhere.

If you could get OSC to shut up, (Which would reinforce the :reddit: hivemind that he is you,) would they start to turn on each other or SC even faster?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/887816028121698304

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Hobold posted:

What would happen if you went dark for a week or two. No posting, at least about SC, anywhere.

If you could get OSC to shut up, (Which would reinforce the :reddit: hivemind that he is you,) would they start to turn on each other or SC even faster?

This.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Hobold posted:

I'd expect that they'd just do a search and replace on their posts to change "Derek Smart" to "Goons" or "Braben" or "Rational Humans".

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

We discussed this before and to date nobody has managed to figure out a way to get around the legal tactic that CIG uses to avoid court action, by sneakily refunding people whenever they ask.

No injury. The way around it is riding it all the way in.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

CIG has made German media their dumping ground for Star Citizen propaganda because those guys will print anything.

This was back in 2016 when procgen planets were coming in 2.7

Star Citizen – New screenshots and details for version 2.7 unveiled

This is some crazy poo poo:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hobold posted:

I should try that. Not sure if OSC will go for it though. Also, since we have lurkers here, now that you've posted it, they'll know it was all a ruse. :negative:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

LOL please - my stomach already hurts from earlier comments. I can't take much more.

MoMA is afraid.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 20, 2017

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

I should try that. Not sure if OSC will go for it though. Also, since we have lurkers here, now that you've posted it, they'll know it was all a ruse. :negative:

I know, and really it doesn't matter. Its just giving them a couple weeks of the same stagnation, lack of real progress, without the usual boogyman.

I just want to see if they start to turn on their own like we do, or if they'll spiral farther down the pit of their broke brained nonsense.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

D_Smart posted:

CIG has made German media their dumping ground for Star Citizen propaganda because those guys will print anything.

Lol a year ago

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

D_Smart posted:

lol look at all this bullshit.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Apparently no one made a gif of the water splash at the end of the 3.whatever demo.

But I did find this!

http://www.lacourt.org/casesummary/ui/casesummary.aspx

Good times from the previous thread.

I got you bro. My 3.0 smoke and mirror video has that clip at the end.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Hobold posted:

It would be like witnessing a 40 a day smoker, suddenly going cold turkey.

First would be the irritability, then the shakes, then the Trump tweets, oh my god, so many Trump tweets, and during this last phase, while Derek is at peak twitter spam mode, Wolfaccelaratingdick will post a "we won" letter and sign it with his latin name like last time, "Arseholiuswolfuslupusdickliswaviumbellyflab" or whatever the gently caress he thinks his homoerotic sexual slave name should actually be.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

lmao " it's almost like ordering through amazon"

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

trucutru posted:

MoMA is afraid.
His belt's just too tight.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

i'd like to respectfully disagree on one point. I think that the failure of star citizen will be relatively big news. With a crowd funded budget of over $150 million, it's size will make it ripe fodder for just about all journalists. I expect to see at least a mention of it in the WSJ.

This.

So, in the Penny Arcade thing, Kuchera mentions that Roberts has private funding on top of the kickstarter. Did we ever figure out what this was?

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Hav posted:

This.

So, in the Penny Arcade thing, Kuchera mentions that Roberts has private funding on top of the kickstarter. Did we ever figure out what this was?

Bootcha?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

If Derek going quiet for a week would get us another "Mission Accomplished" banner that would loving own.

Especially because it wouldn't matter that they have a couple dedicated lunatics lurking this thread, they'd refuse to believe we were doing it just to gently caress with them. Hell, Derek could probably keep posting here every day about how he's purposely doing it to gently caress with them and they wouldn't believe it.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Beet Wagon posted:

If Derek going quiet for a week would get us another "Mission Accomplished" banner that would loving own.

Especially because it wouldn't matter that they have a couple dedicated lunatics lurking this thread, they'd refuse to believe we were doing it just to gently caress with them. Hell, Derek could probably keep posting here every day about how he's purposely doing it to gently caress with them and they wouldn't believe it.

tHIS IS AN ORCHESTRATED GOON ASSAULT DELIVERED FORM THE HIGHEST ECHELON CRUSH THEM ON THEIR LEFT FLANK OF SOMETHINGAWFUL AND OVERWEHLM THEIR FRONT LINES ON REDDIT

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Hav posted:

This.

The running theme was always that once they broke so many tens of millions they didn't NEED to rely on anyone including private investors, and Cribberts was keeping the game pure and under his absolute control

Now it seems to be swinging back to 'well of course they needed extra private investors for a game of this scope'

No one will ever know just how much money CIG has taken over and above their funding tracker, the books are probably sitting in a gas soaked garbage dumpster beside Ben in a pair of skin-tight jeans

BEN ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFET ACROSS THE STREET!

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

If there were a gaming journalist doing independent research to publish a non-paid piece, they would/should keep it embargoed until the day before GamesCon, to minimize the opportunity for CIG to adjust their spin to refute the points in the article.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

TheAgent posted:

3.0 is going to hit in November and be the MVP and it's basically going to maybe be the 3 moons and levski

thats it. thats star citizen. that's 'release'

i cannot loving wait

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hav posted:

This.

Yeah we've known for some time now that they have investors. Did you forget Bootcha also?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

This is true. Those fuckers are retarded.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...
There's something about this response to G0RF's infographic that's insanely funny to me:

It's like Moses climbs down from the mountain and discovers the Hebrews have all backed Star Citizen.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

There's something about this response to G0RF's infographic that's insanely funny to me:

It's like Moses climbs down from the mountain and discovers the Hebrews have all backed Star Citizen.

It's a cult. It's the Scientology of the video gaming world. In both cases, the idiots who have given the cult thousands of dollars will die to defend it to avoid facing their own gullibility.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Holy Christ that's so sad I can't stop laughing :laffo:

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Sarsapariller posted:

I've got to disagree with you and by proxy everyone else who keeps saying this. [...] SC is different- it's worn down the interest of most people, and I think it'll follow the standard MMO path.

Generally these fly-by-night MMO's don't even leave a splash when they hit the bowl. [...] People just do not give a poo poo about Star Citizen. To me that makes the whole thing funnier.
:agreed: SC isn't going to blow up in some grand explosion, it is already dying a slow death and will just continue doing so until long after no one is paying attention anymore. The trickle of moron donations will keep the project going well beyond the attention span of anybody with reasonable expectation of an MVP.

Kromlech fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 20, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

:negative:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Beet Wagon posted:

I'll leave it to you as to how we would medically induce a coma.