Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Anidav posted:

No more bulky headsets or bulky UIs.

Just switch on your iPhone, spend 2 gold coins to create a room and chat with your friends on loudspeaker.

From there you can exchange strategies for Fire Emblem Heroes or Super Mario Run and even discuss Splatoon 2.

The best part of all is that you don't have to buy a 300 dollar headset to enjoy talking to your friends. All you need is the device everyone else already has, a Smart phone. Here at Nintendo we are all about removing barriers of entry so that everyone can play.

Nintendo hire me

Finally, something to spend coins on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Housh posted:

Amazon.ca emailed to tell me my Splatoon 2 preorder will arrive between July 26- 28 wtf?

gently caress Amazon Prime!

I hope they don't meet release day delivery. Get the game for 20% off, and then complain and get $10-$20 for getting the game a couple days later. Where else can you get a name AAA game for $28-$38?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Just buy the game somewhere else and then return your new Amazon copy to that store when it comes.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The super target near me had the digital copies of splatoon 2 available so now I'm just waiting for it to download

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

That video actually assuaged a lot of my concerns about how well it'll be working. Even though the system is portable, there's a zero percent chance I'd ever be using it around other people (like on the bus or whatnot) so I'm quite happy with just having my phone on speaker whilst I'm using it. I'll either be playing it at home on the big tv or in a hotel on a work trip and either time if I ever want to use voicechat I'll be happy blasting the sound like that (and can put my phone on charge if needed).

Obviously this is my personal usecase and it's still stupid you can't switch to messaging apps or whatever but otherwise I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

It switching off if your screen switches off is mega lame though. Like i knew going in Nintendo's internet solution was gonna be rough but that's just weird

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol I just heard you basically have to have that dumb multi wire setup to hear both game chat & voip through the headset

no thanks, ill just use discord. ill launch it to buy some equipment

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Zelder posted:

It switching off if your screen switches off is mega lame though. Like i knew going in Nintendo's internet solution was gonna be rough but that's just weird

At least that and the pause on app change should be easy fixes to patch into the app. Those two are the biggest bleh for me

Since this is pretty much a soft launch of the app before 2018 everyone should make sure to send in feedback via the app about fixing stuff like that

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

eonwe posted:

lol I just heard you basically have to have that dumb multi wire setup to hear both game chat & voip through the headset

no thanks, ill just use discord. ill launch it to buy some equipment
Why would Discord be any different? You still need to route both audio from your Switch and your phone into your headset...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bill Barber posted:

Why would Discord be any different? You still need to route both audio from your Switch and your phone into your headset...

because discord didnt make a console and expect me to rig a bunch of poo poo together to talk to people online

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

eonwe posted:

because discord didnt make a console and expect me to rig a bunch of poo poo together to talk to people online
But you still have to rig a bunch of poo poo together for it to work. So you're just not using the app out of spite then I guess? Seems like a rational response.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bill Barber posted:

But you still have to rig a bunch of poo poo together for it to work. So you're just not using the app out of spite then I guess? Seems like a rational response.

ok

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Do you even have any idea how much infrastructure has to be set up to talk to someone over the internet, nevermind the amount of wires in your computer. Looks like Nintendo wins again

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Bill Barber posted:

Pretty good "post like my avatar would" gimmick

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I think I posted a few months ago about the absolutely horrendous struggles I had playing Mario Kart 8D online. Could barely make it through a single match without the dreaded "a communication error has occurred'. I've tried every rumored solution: changing the DNS settings, changing the WiFi frequency and channel, moving the router around, nothing. So I bought one of these USB LAN adapters hoping that might help.

Nope. What gives? I'm on a bog standard cable internet connection in a big city that is rock solid for literally every other game on every other platform I've ever used it on. How loving hard is it to allow me to play Mario Kart? Please tell me there's a reason, a solution, beyond "lol Nintendo".

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'd use FB Messenger or just group call my friends when we played Wii U games online. I see no advantages to using the app over doing that still.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Did you try putting your switch in the DMZ, that's the only thing that solved my problems, even the usb lan adapter didn't work for me either

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Imagined posted:

I think I posted a few months ago about the absolutely horrendous struggles I had playing Mario Kart 8D online. Could barely make it through a single match without the dreaded "a communication error has occurred'. I've tried every rumored solution: changing the DNS settings, changing the WiFi frequency and channel, moving the router around, nothing. So I bought one of these USB LAN adapters hoping that might help.

Nope. What gives? I'm on a bog standard cable internet connection in a big city that is rock solid for literally every other game on every other platform I've ever used it on. How loving hard is it to allow me to play Mario Kart? Please tell me there's a reason, a solution, beyond "lol Nintendo".

Nintendo doesnt understand the internet

their suggestions are to open every possible port or put your switch in the DMZ

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah that sounds like either spotty connectivity or a NAT issue, and if the USB ethernet adapter didn't help then it's probably NAT. Either assign your Switch a static IP and put that in the DMZ or get a router that's better at UPnP.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

acksplode posted:

Yeah that sounds like either spotty connectivity or a NAT issue, and if the USB ethernet adapter didn't help then it's probably NAT. Either assign your Switch a static IP and put that in the DMZ or get a router that's better at UPnP.

And yet, magically it works fine on the four android phones and tablets we have, the Roku, the laptop, the gaming PC, the PS4, the PS3...

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The biggest slight against this app is none of your friends will use it. That's basically it. Besides its technical inferiority to every other messaging app you can get on your phone, none of your friends are going to be on it for voice chat. Mixing audio is basically the only advantage this app can provide at the moment, and there's at least 3 or 4 technical hurdles bogging that experience down. I think they'll fix them, but it will take a big game to popularize it

Like some people are saying, the most 1:1 convenient experience would've been if voice comm was cooked right into the Switch without the need for an app. But if they can make the app fun and interactive, it could have some value

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Imagined posted:

And yet, magically it works fine on the four android phones and tablets we have, the Roku, the laptop, the gaming PC, the PS4, the PS3...

Your phones and tablets, Roku, and laptop probably aren't acting as ad-hoc servers and so they probably don't use UPnP. Not sure why the rest work when the Switch doesn't, but hey. Magically my Switch works fine with my router.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Spellman posted:

The biggest slight against this app is none of your friends will use it. That's basically it. Besides its technical inferiority to every other messaging app you can get on your phone, none of your friends are going to be on it for voice chat. Mixing audio is basically the only advantage this app can provide at the moment, and there's at least 3 or 4 technical hurdles bogging that experience down. I think they'll fix them, but it will take a big game to popularize it

Like some people are saying, the most 1:1 convenient experience would've been if voice comm was cooked right into the Switch without the need for an app. But if they can make the app fun and interactive, it could have some value

The biggest slight against the app is that it really ought to be functionality baked into the system we already spent money on.

The app could literally be an entire game by itself and it'd still be a thing only fans could make the leap to defend.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

eonwe posted:

Nintendo doesnt understand the internet

their suggestions are to open every possible port or put your switch in the DMZ

Thank you for reminding me of this. I had done this when I was on WiFi and it didn't help much, but I forgot that the settings probably changed with the LAN adapter. I set that up again, and so far I've played four matches without getting booted. A new record, so fingers crossed.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
*bursts frantically into thread* hey guys has anyone heard about this voice chat app???? crazy!!!!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Raserys posted:

*bursts frantically into thread* hey guys has anyone heard about this voice chat app???? crazy!!!!

what about it

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Astro7x posted:

I hope they don't meet release day delivery. Get the game for 20% off, and then complain and get $10-$20 for getting the game a couple days later. Where else can you get a name AAA game for $28-$38?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Just buy the game somewhere else and then return your new Amazon copy to that store when it comes.

Looks like I'll be doing these two things. Thanks, guys!

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
The next Splatfest is "Nintendo Online app" vs. "Literally any other VOIP option." Marina wins again, Pearlosers.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm more Care Mad about salmon run only being available online at certain times than the app

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Imagined posted:

I have disconnected from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe literally once ever across wired, 2.4GHz wireless, and 5GHz wireless, also between TV, tabletop, and handheld modes. I'm not going to say there aren't problems somewhere, but I've hardly ever experienced one myself.

I got a few communication errors in the Splatfest test fire but never during a match. I'm not sure what's happening with your setup. It could very well be a hardware defect.

e: I dropped a match against a JP player in Puyo Tetris the other day, but he was also losing, so it could have been a rage quit? I can't say for sure.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nice humblebrag.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Disclaimer: I am trash at Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Astro7x posted:

New games are $80 in Canada. So we'd be getting for about $60, depending on taxes.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Millions posted:

The next Splatfest is "Nintendo Online app" vs. "Literally any other VOIP option." Marina wins again, Pearlosers.

People will only go against the superior Nintendo app because Marina got the titties out.

Just kidding, this app sucks.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

eonwe posted:

what about it

I'm going to use it

Occasionally

Probably

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i hope the next app on Switch is cruchyroll, and then funimation, and then hidive and anime strike, and then that's it. only anime apps

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Takoluka posted:

Disclaimer: I am trash at Puyo Puyo Tetris.

I'm so trash at it I won't even buy it, lol. Without something like a N64 dpad there's not much point in me playing Tetris, I found. The Wii eshop Tetris was good for the price I guess.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I'm so trash at it I won't even buy it, lol. Without something like a N64 dpad there's not much point in me playing Tetris, I found. The Wii eshop Tetris was good for the price I guess.

The JoyCon Dpad actually gives me the most precision in play. Although, I believe you can also use something like the Pokken controllers for it, as it natively works now. Maybe you can find a good solution!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Takoluka posted:

The JoyCon Dpad actually gives me the most precision in play. Although, I believe you can also use something like the Pokken controllers for it, as it natively works now. Maybe you can find a good solution!

Not for local multiplayer, which is what my family uses Tetris for. Not unless I want to get 3 more sets of joycons, which, no, I cannot do that, and playing online is... ehhh.

We keep the N64 at my parents' house for The New Tetris and Dr. Mario 64. I think as long as that beast keeps working that's going to be our main Tetris machine, and I'm OK with that because New Tetris has still never been topped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

enojy posted:

People will only go against the superior Nintendo app because Marina got the titties out.

Just kidding, this app sucks.

Good thing your kidding, your joke is dangerously close to one of Tim B^Uckley's latest CAD.

• Locked thread