Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Justin Godscock posted:

RE6 is fascinating because it is an absolute franchise killer of a game because A) It's not scary B) It's loving nuts and C) You don't know how true this all is until you play it.
Thing is, these three points hold true for RE4 sa well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Orv posted:

That trailer is :krad: but even at that price point a MP competitive plane game is going to die so fast it's not really worth it.

The whole shtick with the EX version is that it has bots for MP (although I think you can only play versus bots, or versus people, you can't mix both in, which says something concerning about the AI routines already unless it's just a design oversight) and a story campaign of unknown quality, but finally some single player content, both which the original game lacked.

The original game (without the EX in its name - which for some reason still has a store page up) was a purely MP game and to the UTTER AMAZEMENT OF EVERYONE WITH ANY EXPERIENCE WITH GAMES EVER, an indie unknown multiplayer-only shooter was a ghost town from day one. They got their game onto PS4 and that's where EX mode was created (I don't know anything about how that worked, i.e. if the requirement to get onto PS4 involved singleplayer content or what) and after a lot of requesting for a port of EX back to PC again, that's what has finally happened.

I'm sounding intentionally bitter here and it's not at this game specifically, it's just that this is the *checks notes* #3,472th indie-developed game where they didn't put in any singleplayer content and inexplicably thought they they would finally be the first indie dev to crack the (apparently in their mind ostensibly) bereft-of-anything-else-to-play multiplayer scene, and with this game specifically it was frustrating because they'd clearly put so much effort into the aesthetics and the environments and even the vehicle control so everything felt really good (in the tutorial), but like half a percent of games in the indie-developed-multiplayer-only genre succeed and also other people suck so I just wanted to enjoy what looked like a great game without having to deal with other people (who, off topic, make everything in life worse).

I say all this having picked up but not yet played the EX version because having bought the original I get a 50% discount instead of the 15% discount that you'll see if you don't own it, and as I said I really enjoyed everything about this game, except the fact that I couldn't, you know, play it. So fingers crossed there's actually something worth playing this time around.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009

Givin posted:

Anyone try Book of Demons out and mind giving a review of it? It looks like an ARPG, but also a card game. Or the cards are your active abilities? Its getting pretty high reviews for an early access game.

Also Tangledeep is a pretty fun game and I look forward to full release. I'm going to try and hold out and not play it too much because I don't want to get tired it before then. I very much appreciate the clean UI and how information is presented to you in a non intrusive way.

I may be in the minority here, but I hated Book of Demons and my absolute favorite game of all time was Diablo. There's a demo actually available on their website and I couldn't make it through. The entire thing takes place on rails, the movement is at a turtle's pace, and every quest I got was just "kill this big boss down the end of the rail."

Book of Demons was one of the most anticipated games, and I love the way it looks, and I would love a Diablo-like, but Book of Demons ain't it.

In short, go download the demo and give it a try.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Omegaland is worth exploring even after the ending. There are tons of chatty NPCs in the levels.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

uber_stoat posted:

if I remember right Doom came out around the same time as Overwatch. bad luck that.

Why? Doom's good for its singleplayer. The multiplayer is actively mediocre, different launch competition wouldnt have saved that tacked on rubbish.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Why? Doom's good for its singleplayer. The multiplayer is actively mediocre, different launch competition wouldnt have saved that tacked on rubbish.

People who were set on picking up Overwatch might not have had an extra $50 set aside for DOOM, even if they were interested. They were released within two weeks of each other, that might have only been one paycheck for some.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MussoliniB posted:

I may be in the minority here, but I hated Book of Demons and my absolute favorite game of all time was Diablo. There's a demo actually available on their website and I couldn't make it through. The entire thing takes place on rails, the movement is at a turtle's pace, and every quest I got was just "kill this big boss down the end of the rail."

Book of Demons was one of the most anticipated games, and I love the way it looks, and I would love a Diablo-like, but Book of Demons ain't it.

In short, go download the demo and give it a try.

Define "on rails' exactly please, because that takes my interest from burning hot to deader than ded.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

anilEhilated posted:

Thing is, these three points hold true for RE4 sa well.

The key difference is that RE4 basically affords a lot of player expression in terms of tactics and large spaces with verticality, inside and outside areas, interactive items, etc. You can go to merchants and buy what you want to buy. It doesn't take itself too seriously and kind of revels in its camp. But its relative freedom and polish counts for a lot.

RE6 generally has you fighting in cramped hallways so far and generally focused on making sure the player is focused down only a singular path. That's not to say RE4 doesn't have some similar issues - that loving knife fight - but at no point during RE4 did I have to wait for an AI player to finish a lengthy QTE. I mean, something that feels really symbolic of RE6 is that if you see a corpse that turns out to be a zombie lying in wait, if you shoot it, it doesn't react or take damage. You can only shoot it after it gets up and reveals it's a zombie. Because you're not supposed to just shoot them preemptively, it keeps you from trying at all!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

Omegaland is worth exploring even after the ending. There are tons of chatty NPCs in the levels.

3/10 corn in the bible post, too wordy

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Orv posted:

Define "on rails' exactly please, because that takes my interest from burning hot to deader than ded.

You're moving on a grid path laid out like a board game. Best way to know is to watch some gameplay or demo.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The reason the Doom patch is so drat big is because it merges files together so that you don't have to reboot the game to switch between Campaign and Multiplayer modes. I think this also reduces the amount of disk space the game takes up, but I don't have it installed right now, so don't quote me on that.

corn in the bible posted:

also they contracted the multiplayer stuff to another company who would still have to be paid for the multiplayer dlc they weren't going to make, and also someone would have to be paid to make singleplayer dlc.
The company that was contracted to do the multiplayer was kicked the gently caress out the moment the game released. Id did all the DLC themselves, which is why a lot of the DLC maps look pretty drat nice.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The key difference is that RE4 basically affords a lot of player expression in terms of tactics and large spaces with verticality, inside and outside areas, interactive items, etc. You can go to merchants and buy what you want to buy. It doesn't take itself too seriously and kind of revels in its camp. But its relative freedom and polish counts for a lot.

RE6 generally has you fighting in cramped hallways so far and generally focused on making sure the player is focused down only a singular path. That's not to say RE4 doesn't have some similar issues - that loving knife fight - but at no point during RE4 did I have to wait for an AI player to finish a lengthy QTE. I mean, something that feels really symbolic of RE6 is that if you see a corpse that turns out to be a zombie lying in wait, if you shoot it, it doesn't react or take damage. You can only shoot it after it gets up and reveals it's a zombie. Because you're not supposed to just shoot them preemptively, it keeps you from trying at all!
Dead Rising 2 has lots of those zombies, only most of them are invisible until it floats at you as a lightning fast blur and strangles you. If you are lucky, you can avoid taking mandatory damage and somersault away so they drop dead on top of you. If you are unlucky, you have a stiff banshee shrieker floating at you, fast as a bullet, like a goddamn Kleer. Most of them are at every save point.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
omegaland is woke as hell lmao

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

QuarkJets posted:

3/10 corn in the bible post, too wordy

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Venuz Patrol posted:

it's good though

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Orv posted:

There's a video on the last page, but it's not "on rails" in the sense of a corridor shooter like House of the Dead - there's a literal rail laid down on the board that your character stand won't deviate off of but you can still pick your direction, find dead ends, and backtrack etc.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Kins posted:

The company that was contracted to do the multiplayer was kicked the gently caress out the moment the game released. Id did all the DLC themselves, which is why a lot of the DLC maps look pretty drat nice.
Yeah, this. It was a big announcement and everything. There was no contract obligation in play when it comes to DLC. However they already sold season passes as multiplayer-only so they had to follow through. If anything it shows more how much the publisher knew about what made the game good.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Too Shy Guy posted:

People who were set on picking up Overwatch might not have had an extra $50 set aside for DOOM, even if they were interested. They were released within two weeks of each other, that might have only been one paycheck for some.

Most people didn't put anything aside for DOOM because it looked awful. There's little to no loss from later full price sales anyway for a predominantly singleplayer experience since you don't enter the deathspiral of "nobody has the game so servers are dead" meaning people stop playing and stop buying, like Battleborn. Also DOOM was the equivalent of $30 on launch on GMG with discount codes which is how I got it and Overwatch within budget after hearing about how good it actually was.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
I guess Dream Daddy was delayed? :colbert:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jamfrost posted:

I guess Dream Daddy was delayed? :colbert:

Thank you bideo james gournalism, for answering this important question.

https://twitter.com/dreamdaddygame/status/885770080948244481

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

there was a second delay actually, it was supposed to release tonight but apparently they ran into a bureaucratic issue w/ valve or something

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

The Kins posted:

The reason the Doom patch is so drat big is because it merges files together so that you don't have to reboot the game to switch between Campaign and Multiplayer modes.

So they have no plans to implement this kind of system?

Sucks.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Venuz Patrol posted:

What the gently caress does it mean when something is "woke"? Like, it's...cognizant of its own existence?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Danger Will Robinson.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

credburn posted:

What the gently caress does it mean when something is "woke"? Like, it's...cognizant of its own existence?

I'm not sure either. Aware? So... self-aware? :v:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zgggVRvrd0

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Ha! Wait a minute. He said "break bad" in the first episode? I recently watched the entire series over a month and spent the whole time wondering when they're going to tell me what the title means. Uh, so it just means...do bad things? God I'm so square.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

credburn posted:

Woke either means progressive or trying and failing to be, cosmic brain style.

John Mirra
Dec 18, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

You only use the left stick. Cursor and character move at the same time. When firing, your character plants their feet. You're very vulnerable at that point so you got to watch where the bullets are hitting with the flashing hit markers. Dodge right and left using the bumpers or jump out of the way. You can shoot the bullets out of the air and that powers your Vulcan gun meter. When that fills you gain invulnerability and a rapid fire attack. It's pretty tough. This game is alot harder than the original because the screen space is much larger than the original and the enemy count doesn't scale with player count.

Ahhh got it. Thanks for the heads up.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

credburn posted:

Ha! Wait a minute. He said "break bad" in the first episode? I recently watched the entire series over a month and spent the whole time wondering when they're going to tell me what the title means. Uh, so it just means...do bad things? God I'm so square.
It's a southern term. Can mean anything from raising hell as a one off or becoming a violent criminal.

Pretty sure Vince Gillian has said he views it as the raising hell version but I guess it works both ways.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I really should give breaking bad a shot. I refused at the time since it was still running, same with mad men.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Watch Breaking Bad no matter what, watch Mad Men if you enjoyed the writing and storytelling style employed for The Sopranos

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I never watched much of the Sopranos, maybe an episode or 2, I was maybe 12 when that show started but its mostly the 60s setting that draws me to Mad Men.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Started playing Far Cry 4 (I really need to find a place on steam which lets you know who gifted you something, so I can thank people).

Took a look at the Uplay rewards, and decided I should wait for the Crab Rangoon before starting the game proper, so I can get the Robocop gun. Thankfully, the game plays in a "full screen window" or whatever it's called by default, so I easily browsed things for 15 minutes.

Got the alternate ending, was thrown back into the starting screen with no options besides "New Game" (really? You couldn't save a checkpoint at Min's place - I have to alt tab away from the intro sequence again?)

And... no reward, nothing making note that the action was completed on Uplay. No idea if the game only checks for the alternate ending after you finished the game "properly", or if it's just Uplay being Uplay.

Also, Uplay support is somehow more convoluted and useless than steam's, which is quite the high bar.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Also, Uplay support is somehow more convoluted and useless than steam's, which is quite the high bar.

... you contacted the support team about this?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

credburn posted:

I've always thought that it means someone is above things and aware of what's going on.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Xander77 posted:

Started playing Far Cry 4 (I really need to find a place on steam which lets you know who gifted you something, so I can thank people).

Took a look at the Uplay rewards, and decided I should wait for the Crab Rangoon before starting the game proper, so I can get the Robocop gun. Thankfully, the game plays in a "full screen window" or whatever it's called by default, so I easily browsed things for 15 minutes.
The alternate ending doesn't have any achievements (I think) Crab Rangoon is for beating the game normally.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Darkhold posted:

The alternate ending doesn't have any achievements (I think) Crab Rangoon is for beating the game normally.
Really? That seems hella misleading:

http://imgur.com/W2fQmFR

What about the "join the golden path" achievement? Just finished the prologue, currently wolf-hunting, still don't have it. I want my SJW Robocop gun, goddamit.

Anyways, the game is really pretty so far, if filled with Ubisoft-ish "don't leave the mission area" and "go climb a tower" stuff.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 20, 2017

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Xander77 posted:

Search your email for Far Cry 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Wrestling fans sure are spolit lately. First with Fire Pro and now with
:pcgaming:M Dickie's Wrestling Revolution 3D:pcgaming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQKgtSJ9J3Q

• Locked thread