Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I keep all my ketchup in a pile on the counter, so it's always easy to get to if I want to eat a steak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, pretty much. In other words, the I in "Indie" :)

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Lladre posted:

Look at all this assumption all up in this post.

Were you ever in for anything commando? I seem to recall that you've been consistently down on the thing.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

19 days left in the 2017 referral contest! Jfeezy, with 1664 referrals, just needs an average of 71 new referrals a day to hit the grand prize.

What a joke.

Well honestly with only 1,664 referrals I don't see how anybody could really claim that they deserved a grand prize. At an average of $100 per new backer, that's what, only $166,400 for CIG. That kind of scratch ain't gonna keep the lights on! Sandi needs walking around money.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hav posted:

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Were you ever in for anything commando? I seem to recall that you've been consistently down on the thing.

Yeah I bought a connie and then some 50 dollar ship with LTI when I was high on oxy from rotatory cuff surgery.
I got my refund the same day Streetroller did.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Quavers posted:

Have patience, restless warrior. Everything is proceeding exactly as The Master has foreseen.

To bring everyone up to speed, in case you've been occupied with You must have Platinum Access to read this message:
  • G0rf "magically" returns, with an excellent Infogram
  • Our undercover goon-plant archived it on /r/DerekSmart to be spotted
  • The archive was seen by a pissed off backer, who posted it to /r/Games
  • Then massive, hilarious drama happened

CIG want to delay 3.0 Evocati tomorrow because the update is crashy and buggy as gently caress, but they know announcing yet another delay will cause even more turmoil and confidence-loss. Some of the poor whales are already reeling from 95% Star System cuts, rumours of below-20FPS, and restricted to 24 player caps.

The Gamescom presentation without 3.0 being live will be an amazing clusterfuck.

Alpha 3.0 itself will be a comedy shitshow, and a goldmine for :pgabz: and AP

Stop spreading FUD, man. That's not nice.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lladre posted:

Yeah I bought a connie and then some 50 dollar ship with LTI when I was high on oxy from rotatory cuff surgery.
I got my refund the same day Streetroller did.

Oh poo poo, was that you that made that "Guys I just sobered up and realized I just bought more spaceships" post in the last thread, or am I thinking of someone else?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

The Delta Force is working on it! (volume alert...)

Yeah, I assume as they were planning out their Gamescom demonstration, they took stock of what they had lying around asset-wise and said, "Well, we did do all that Nyx work a couple years ago that we never released -- why not use Levski for it?"

So then it's the centerpiece of their 3.0 demo, but now they're obligated themselves to shoehorn Delamar in to Stanton, though it makes little sense. It bears the telltale ad hoc-iness of so much of their development prioritization. It's got to be exhausting to the developers, having to fly by the seat of Chris' pants all the time.

It's worse than that.

Nyx is an entirely different star system which they haven't built. So leaving Delamar where it is, would have meant building the Nyx star system, when in fact they only have Stanton (15% built, if you counted all the elements in the Star map, compared to what's in the current game client) built. So they just said, gently caress it, we'll just move it, and give those Spergs a planet that's not really a planet.

It's a brilliant plan if you ask me.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh poo poo, was that you that made that "Guys I just sobered up and realized I just bought more spaceships" post in the last thread, or am I thinking of someone else?

Can you please stop posting about this topic? People might be getting scared of ever drinking too much. or taking other "chemicals"

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

D_Smart posted:

It's worse than that.

Nyx is an entirely different star system which they haven't built. So leaving Delamar where it is, would have meant building the Nyx star system, when in fact they only have Stanton (15% built, if you counted all the elements in the Star map, compared to what's in the current game client) built. So they just said, gently caress it, we'll just move it, and give those Spergs a planet that's not really a planet.

It's a brilliant plan if you ask me.

jesus, every possible way you look at cig, it's hosed.

Now they can start adjusting lore and the starmap

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
So, I'm watching the Pathfinder chat in the kickstarter thread;

alien rope burn posted:

Some other highlights that come to mind:
* Having a preview in development by the community manager where the game just crashed for her, and they didn't cancel the stream. You just could stare at a crashed game that wasn't reloading for a half-hour. It was excruciating to see.
* As mentioned, they couldn't do dungeons because they couldn't figure out how to code line of sight being blocked.
* There were things like rivers that were half-empty of water because they didn't know how to automate that sort of thing so they were literally filling in water textures by hand. Or rather, not getting around to filling in the water...
* Deeds for properties are literal in-game objects because they couldn't figure out how to do deeds that could be sold / traded otherwise. While they thankfully couldn't be ganked off your corpse like almost anything else, they could be lost, or you could get conned out of them. If they were in a building and that building was destroyed, you'd lose them for 30 days before they respawned for you.
* Seizing territory was a matter of walking up to that structure and keeping somebody in its radius uncontested for your guild. Like EVE, this meant structures basically changed hands because a given group of players had to sleep. All the time.
* There was no opting out of PvP. People could steal your poo poo by ganking you like the bad old MMO days, as aforementioned. Later, they introduced siege weapons to gank your holdings. A holding that gets destroyed gets bounced out of play for 30 days after which you can set your deed down again. I think there may have been an increased upkeep cost. Oh, can't upkeep your holding anymore? Well... hope you have some good memories of it, because it's gone.
- https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3473379&perpage=40&pagenumber=1110#post474495706

MMOs are _hard_ :sad: But doesn't this sound familiar?

I actually think SC will release, but it's going to join the hundreds of languishing MMOs. It wouldn't entirely surprise me if it eventually got sold off to someone like NCSoft to throw a bunch of timers in.

Kai Tave posted:

As many of you recall from my last address, I had hired an electronic game agent to look at the game and then come back to me with their recommendations. After spending almost a month analyzing the game, they presented me with their results. There was good and bad news given in this briefing. The bad news was that they didn’t feel that there were any large MMO companies that would be willing to put large sums of money into finishing the game. However, they felt that the game as implemented with the addition of some of the missing features would fill a niche in the marketplace quite nicely and felt that there was upside there for a more indie type company. They presented me with a list of companies for whom that might be a nice fit and I gave them permission to pursue talking to them.
- Lisa Paizzo Stephens (thanks theAgent) (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3473379&perpage=40&pagenumber=1110#post474497149)

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 20, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
stimpire.txt was a prophecy - SC will uh... "release" with 4 systems.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Beet Wagon posted:

that was someone else.
Mine went more along the line I was playing World of Tanks. (Which improved my rating playing high as a kite), got the email saying they had this small ship with LTI for sale. Bought it with paypal.
Promptly forgot I ever did such a thing till I logged into my account to start my refund process and realized I had a ship in my hangar with no idea how it got there. At first I thought it was some freebie they tossed in for some special or something. It was only after they denied my refund the first time that I did a search on my paypal history for CIG/RSI and found the second transaction. I pieced it together from the timeline.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
"I can't believe CIG lied to me about Alpha Access and they took a tiered approach, now here's $500 for a new spaceship I want."

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

have anyone ever successfully crowdfunded a MMO? I can't think of any.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
only gonna be a few months until cymelion starts posting here as a dirty refunder

holy poo poo

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sandweed posted:

I would say getting 285 million as being pretty successful at crowdfunding an MMO.

If you mean crowdfunding a successful MMO then no.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

What's funny is that space IS huge. You could have an entire game set in a solar system and it would be fun; but that is nothing like what CIG pitched the game as. I would absolutely loving love a space game at solar system scale that attempted to do the physics *mostly* right. But that isn't what CIG promised: Freelancer/Wing Commander remake.

I am eagerly awaiting for 3.0 to release and :munch: over the true believers lying to themselves over how great it is.

grimcreaper posted:

Pineapple on pizza is the best. It adds a subtle sweetness that the pizza needs. If you truly disagree it means you are definitely a shitizen.

Exactly as I described it in my July '15 blog.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sandweed posted:

Depends on your definition of success, but no. Not one has really exploded, although there's a couple of speciality ones that people get into. Back in the early days of kickstarters they'd be pitched at wildly varying levels depending on whether they were 'theme-park' or 'sandbox'.

Eldragon posted:

What's funny is that space IS huge. You could have an entire game set in a solar system and it would be fun; but that is nothing like what CIG pitched the game as. I would absolutely loving love a space game at solar system scale that attempted to do the physics *mostly* right.

My July blog refers to a couple of things that you might be interested in;

Celestial Command - hard as balls mining and shipbuilding game in 2d with actual orbital mechanics. Best 'playthrough' and hints come from a Russian youtube, so it's mostly trial and error, but it's cheap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMBbnrBnbzM

Children of a Dead Earth - hard scifi solar system fighting with 3d orbital mechanics that I'm not doing very well with, but I think it's because my out-of-plane orbital approach is fix hours too early.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSoVbwyrxDk

In kickstarters, we still have Infinity battlescape which is a single solar system. It's progressing slowly and the bits I've seen tends towards a neo-brutalist chique.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 20, 2017

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Cymelion going postal on the Evocati is my most anticipated feature of 3.0

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Eldragon posted:

What's funny is that space IS huge. You could have an entire game set in a solar system and it would be fun; but that is nothing like what CIG pitched the game as. I would absolutely loving love a space game at solar system scale that attempted to do the physics *mostly* right. But that isn't what CIG promised: Freelancer/Wing Commander remake.

The setting for The Expanse was originally conceived as a MMO/game setting. I'd play that in a heartbeat.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
that's actually Lisa Stephens, CEO and founder of Paizo Publishing, who has a very long and storied history among tabletop fans like myself

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

G0RF posted:

Whew!

So it took me awhile to read through all the comments about the chart on /Games. Though there were lots of crazed invocations of Derek Smart, demonizations of goons, and other overreactions, I did see a few fair criticisms that I've addressed in this latest update.

1). The inclusion of the reduction percentages was redundant. Fair enough. I deleted that.

2) Chris' quote didn't include his "I get shot for making promises but that's our goal" escape clause, the line that retroactively makes it all okay. So I included that, too.

3) I also added his mention of the 30 to 40 space stations that would be coming in 3.0. (We'll see how that turns out.)

4) I also fixed a graphical problem that had white boxes behind the Planet names in the Stanton layout.

So here's the latest version. If you're a DS lurker who feels like the last one was flawed or shortchanged Chris's quote, hopefully you might find this an improvement. I'm trying to be fair, even if stern.

I have to admit, lurking friends, some of your reactions were a little frustrating, given that I'd tried to avoid editorializing. The focus of the piece was timelines, quotes, and scopes for Star Systems in Alpha 3.0.

The accusations that the infographic was a part of some organized FUD campaign were especially ironic, given that some of you tried to preemptively trying to counter an anticipated Derek Smart tweet and in so doing ended up creating a non-paywalled source for the /Games OP to reference.

I didn't make the chart hoping for a /GAMES thread to blow up, or a MassivelyOP mention, or a psychodrama to unfold on /DS. I made it for my friends here on the forum, most of whom I haven't interacted with in a year, because organizing historical facts is something I like to do. It's clear to us by now that Chris Roberts doesn't learn from history because he keeps repeating it, so we keep discussing it, yet what I don't understand is why you keep defending it?

Surely I have my own biases, as do we all, but why rage about what strangers think on some random forum? Your recurring tendency to discount the observable past while exaggerating the imagined future produces the present tensions that discomfit you so. The relief you seek yet can't find won't come from excoriating random nobodies for discussing their opinions about troubling development issues or deceptive sales tactics. You are the publisher. The ones to whom pledges have been made for accountability and openness. You're intellectually and emotionally malnourished from the parody of it served up by a guy who believes himself accountable to no one and above all reproach. A man who hasn't once in the entire history of this project ever apologized for anything despite having either intentionally or inadvertently mislead you about matters of genuine consequence for years.

You deserve better than to be full-time apologists for that. I sincerely believe that --- why don't you?

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

http://i.imgur.com/QH1FXGt.gifv

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

elite dangerous is the closest thing to a successful crowdfunded mmo i can think of and only £1.7m of the £8m budget was crowdfunded

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Sandweed posted:

Pantheon is plugging along towards release & it's another former-developer-trying-to-capture-past-glory title like SC. They have no illusions about the niche appeal of their game & aren't promising to be all things to all people.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

runsamok posted:

The setting for The Expanse was originally conceived as a MMO/game setting. I'd play that in a heartbeat.
its funny because I was watching it one night and went "man this would make a pretty good video game" and then read it was an MMO/tabletop game originally

you've got your space elves (mars), space humans (earth), space dwarves (the belt), and space undead

just gimme some fetch quests and terrible game mechanics and I'm in for $5,000

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Bonus:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

TheAgent posted:

only gonna be a few months until cymelion starts posting here as a dirty refunder

holy poo poo

Nah, he has made long rambling rants about Evocati and paid beta access on a number of occasions. Every white knight has a broken promise they can't defend.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Truga posted:

stimpire.txt was a prophecy - SC will uh... "release" with 4 systems.

The Stimperor was actually a kind and benevolent soul for the first 3 systems. Then he said "gently caress it" with the 4th.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

runsamok posted:

Pantheon is plugging along towards release & it's another former-developer-trying-to-capture-past-glory title like SC. They have no illusions about the niche appeal of their game & aren't promising to be all things to all people.
Pantheon is its own trainwreck, though. Mods banning gay people, money going directly to "back pay" Brad McQuiad, Unity assets incorrectly implemented, a single class made just for Brad, paying a monthly subscription to access forums, a weird family of ultra conservative Christians building the game and that's all just the tip of the loving iceberg.

Although I wish Chris would pull a Brad and try to come here to hawk his game.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=207941

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 20, 2017

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

that's actually Lisa Stephens, CEO and founder of Paizo Publishing, who has a very long and storied history among tabletop fans like myself

Sorry, yes, I hosed up there. I'm also a very old tabletop guy; like car wars original. I lost track of TSR before WOTC swept in, and a lot of this poo poo is absolutely new.

Gonna edit it, but thanks for the correction.

Taxxe:

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 20, 2017

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Sandweed posted:

wasn't albion crowdfunded? and they launch next month I think.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

Sorry, yes, I hosed up there. I'm also a very old tabletop guy; like car wars original. I lost track of TSR before WOTC swept in, and a lot of this poo poo is absolutely new.

Gonna edit it, but thanks for the correction.

Speaking of Car Wars, any signs of an Autoduel remake?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

runsamok posted:

Same. You would need some kind of hand-wave for the travel times and ship combat, but otherwise it would make a great MMO.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

its funny because I was watching it one night and went "man this would make a pretty good video game" and then read it was an MMO/tabletop game originally

They tend to shade the 14 day travel times in the TV series. The books are more accurate about the relative time it takes to get out to the Jovian moons from Mars even with magic high-efficiency drives. Note that they're moving towards more magic.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Speaking of Car Wars, any signs of an Autoduel remake?

I keep thinking about this over and over. No sign, no. Would it make a fricking awesome turn-based or slow realtime game? Hell yes. I want a 110mm tank gun in my semi while my bike gang defends.

of course, doing that one D3 turn at 45mph that results in you rolling to a comical stop in front of your opponent would be entirely different in a vidya game than the table.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 20, 2017

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

D_Smart posted:

It's worse than that.

Yeah, I know they're different systems. I just meant that we know that they'd been working on Nyx Asteroid Mining Colony resources as far back as 2014, and that they'd kept working on it in 2015, and by 2016, when they were looking at what they wanted to hype for 2.7 later known as 3.0 (but really maybe arguably only 2.8) they may have said:

quote:

"Well, we need a cool demo for Gamescom, and we've got all this Nyx asteroid mining crap built up we haven't used yet. Why don't we shoehorn Delamar and Levski into the 3.0 demo so we don't have to start from scratch, and we can just have Chris handwave its inclusion away on stage and create the appearance that everything is right around the corner while we spend the remaining time trying to flesh out all the other crap we haven't built yet."

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
http://imgur.com/gallery/v2VVu

Dude did this in ONE YEAR SOLO.

ONE YEAR.

Five years with 400 people and you get a crate placing simulator.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

They tend to shade the 14 day travel times in the TV series. The books are more accurate about the relative time it takes to get out to the Jovian moons from Mars even with magic high-efficiency drives. Note that they're moving towards more magic.
once there was space magic that can bring people back from the dead, breathe in space and change trajectories of entire asteroids in seconds I stopped caring about realism and just liked it for what it is

not that I care much for realism, but it was a nice nod in the beginning to sucker you in before space magic started happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Wow, Cymelion's really starting to lose his faith in CIG. What will be his breaking point: Gamescom, CitizenCon, Alpha 3.0 live?