Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

You can't preload Splatoon 2, can you? I want to download it but I need to go to bed well before midnight tonight and I'll be out all day tomorrow. I wanna get my Splat on as soon as I get home. If I can't pre-load it I'll have to start it downloading in the morning before I leave.

Preloading is not a thing in the Switch e shop even though the Wii U got it at some point because :nintendo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Silver Falcon posted:

You can't preload Splatoon 2, can you? I want to download it but I need to go to bed well before midnight tonight and I'll be out all day tomorrow. I wanna get my Splat on as soon as I get home. If I can't pre-load it I'll have to start it downloading in the morning before I leave.

I'm in the same boat almost. I'm planning to buy it through the webstore from my phone to push my Switch to download it while I'm out.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I think the 3ds can pre load now as well

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Couldn't you just buy it in the morning before you go do whatever it is that you're doing?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

StabMasterArson posted:

so being real is this going to be another Wii U with like 1 or 2 games worth a poo poo per year. its already gathering its first inch of dust

Get a Job

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My cleaning service cleans my Switch.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Spellman posted:

Resident Evil 4, the New Play Control series of games, others

I'm still sad America never got the Chibi-Robo New Play Control. I miss the actual Chibi-Robo games a lot.

People are going to remember Chibi as that weird eshop photo game and bleh platformer with an Amiibo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if the N64 controller copyright means an N64 Classic is in the pipeline, I can't begin to imagine how they'd pad out 20 games.

The problem being that not only are many of the Rare games off the table, but what I'd argue are superior releases of certain games (Ocarina, Majora, Star Fox) are on 3DS anyway and many games like Yoshi Story, Kirby 64, and Mario Tennis just flat out aren't that great or are inferior to the sequels.

I'd rather have a GBA or even a GBC classic tbh.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

pichupal posted:

I'm still sad America never got the Chibi-Robo New Play Control. I miss the actual Chibi-Robo games a lot.

People are going to remember Chibi as that weird eshop photo game and bleh platformer with an Amiibo.

I can at least hope for a GameCube VC that'll let me play the original Chibi Robo again :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DLC Inc posted:

if the N64 controller copyright means an N64 Classic is in the pipeline, I can't begin to imagine how they'd pad out 20 games.

The problem being that not only are many of the Rare games off the table, but what I'd argue are superior releases of certain games (Ocarina, Majora, Star Fox) are on 3DS anyway and many games like Yoshi Story, Kirby 64, and Mario Tennis just flat out aren't that great or are inferior to the sequels.

Sin and Punishment would definitely be on it as their "never released here" piece like with Star Fox 2, along with probably Mischief Makers as they're both Treasure games. And quite possibly the only way anyone could get Mischief Makers to actually work in emulated/VC form.

Off the top my head;
  • Super Smash Bros
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Super Mario 64
  • Ocarina of Time
  • Majora's Mask
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • F-Zero X
  • Pokemon Snap
  • Pokemon Stadium 1&2
  • Mario Party 1/2/3.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 20, 2017

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

DLC Inc posted:

many games like Yoshi Story, Kirby 64, and Mario Tennis just flat out aren't that great or are inferior to the sequels.

what, fight me.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Splatoon 2 when?

9pm PST most likely??

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

pichupal posted:

I wish they had instead just done a 3DS remake of the Gamecube one, and maybe also the DS sequel where Jenny is an adult that they never localized for some reason.

I also wish Chibi-Robo was a playable character in Smash Bros.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Feenix posted:

Splatoon 2 when?

9pm PST most likely??

That sounds about right. It should be midnight EST.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

If they release an N64 classic that only plays Mario golf I'll buy it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I think it is a testament to how good the core principles/aesthetic/ideas are in Splatoon that I am ordering this DAY ONE, despite the fact that in 3 Test Punch sessions AND the Splatfest, I didn't really like the controls.

But I know that can be overcome. At the very least, I go decent with the Roller.

Also my 4 year old loves it.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

DLC Inc posted:

Yoshi Story is good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bill Barber posted:

Couldn't you just buy it in the morning before you go do whatever it is that you're doing?

What if the only thing you're doing for the day is playing said game?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I'm pretty on the fence with Splatoon but will probably buy it.

I played the last test splat for most of the time it was on, and I kind of liked it. I used motion controls with split joycons, and I found that to be kind of awkward. I think I probably would like motion controls more if I practice it longer, but how awkward they felt was a pretty big turnoff for me. Still I wouldn't want to play it without motion controls because it would be so much harder to aim fast.

I also really didn't like how much downtime it felt like there was. The matches felt VERY short, which is good sort of, but I kind of wish there were a way to do a best 2/3 where the next match started immediately. It felt as if half the time I was playing was spent sitting there waiting for the next match to start.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

s.i.r.e. posted:

What if the only thing you're doing for the day is playing said game?
:mindblow:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think Rare games are off the table. If Nintendo can work with Square and Konami for third party games on the other ones they can work with Microsoft.

They've never done it before but they have a good relationship through Minecraft and they never used FX chip emulation before now either, and are releasing unreleased games. Don't discount the possibility.

Even without Rare, 20 games is doable.

Mario 64
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Mario Party 2
Mario Kart 64
Paper Mario
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Star Fox 64
Pilotwings 64
Castlevania(the second edition one I forget the subtitle, legacy of shadow or something)
Super Smash Brothers
Yoshi's Story(not great but they're probably putting it in)
Sin and Punishment
Kirby 64 The Crystal Shards
Mischeif Makers
Waverace
1080 Snowboarding or Snowboard Kids
Bomberman 64
Goemon
Ogre Battle 64
Mega Man Legends(known as 64 in the port)
Bangai-o
F-Zero X
Donkey Kong 64
Pokemon Snap

These are all games without licensing issues from companies friendly towards Nintendo.

Microsoft considers their rare IPs worthless to where they sell most of them in a package for $20, so if they decide they'd like some sweet licensing money you could toss in Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark (though maybe not since it's M), Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini, and Banjo Kazooie and Tooie.

Without those it's still doable and I'm sure there's some suitable titles I've forgotten. What I wonder is, since an N64 controller is so huge, if maybe they could just fit the whole guts in there without making the console portion.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ATTN: raocow

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't think Rare games are off the table. If Nintendo can work with Square and Konami for third party games on the other ones they can work with Microsoft.

They've never done it before but they have a good relationship through Minecraft and they never used FX chip emulation before now either, and are releasing unreleased games. Don't discount the possibility.

Even without Rare, 20 games is doable.

Mario 64
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Mario Party 2
Mario Kart 64
Paper Mario
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Star Fox 64
Pilotwings 64
Castlevania(the second edition one I forget the subtitle, legacy of shadow or something)
Super Smash Brothers
Yoshi's Story(not great but they're probably putting it in)
Sin and Punishment
Kirby 64 The Crystal Shards
Mischeif Makers
Waverace
1080 Snowboarding or Snowboard Kids
Bomberman 64
Goemon
Ogre Battle 64
Mega Man Legends(known as 64 in the port)
Bangai-o
F-Zero X
Donkey Kong 64
Pokemon Snap

These are all games without licensing issues from companies friendly towards Nintendo.

Microsoft considers their rare IPs worthless to where they sell most of them in a package for $20, so if they decide they'd like some sweet licensing money you could toss in Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark (though maybe not since it's M), Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini, and Banjo Kazooie and Tooie.

Without those it's still doable and I'm sure there's some suitable titles I've forgotten. What I wonder is, since an N64 controller is so huge, if maybe they could just fit the whole guts in there without making the console portion.

Rare Replay is one of the few XBOne exclusives that actually sells well. There is zero chance they'd let the N64 titles go to compete against it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Rare Replay is one of the few XBOne exclusives that actually sells well. There is zero chance they'd let the N64 titles go to compete against it.

People buying a potential N64 mini are probably not Xbox owners anyway, and if they are, probably already own Rare Replay. If they don't there's a ton of stuff on there they'd never be able to get on an N64 mini anyway like Battletoads, nuts and bolts, Conker's BFD, Perfect Dark, etc. The price for Rare Replay is so cheap right now the amount they would make per game they license to N64 mini is probably higher than the amount "per game" in Rare Replay.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/mariobrothblog/status/888054541807169536

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Things you never knew you didn't want to know

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Would they really include Mario Party considering the damage it does to controllers? Also, if the thing releases with one or two controllers it'll be super hard to find four of them, and if you don't have four controllers what's even the point

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bandaid.friend posted:

Would they really include Mario Party considering the damage it does to controllers? Also, if the thing releases with one or two controllers it'll be super hard to find four of them, and if you don't have four controllers what's even the point

It was only Mario Party 1 that hosed up control sticks. They haven't released that on Virtual Console and most definitely won't include it on N64 Classic.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

bandaid.friend posted:

Mario Party 1 has games that damage the controllers, but 2 and 3 removed those kinds of games. Also they'll probably replace the lovely N64 stick with a good one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Bloop posted:

Things you never knew you didn't want to know

https://twitter.com/mariobrothblog/status/887074977358503940
This Twitter is good.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zelder posted:

I just assumed you were a rogue pirated shitposting ai

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

SeANMcBAY posted:

It was only Mario Party 1 that hosed up control sticks. They haven't released that on Virtual Console and most definitely won't include it on N64 Classic.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Mario Party 1 has games that damage the controllers, but 2 and 3 removed those kinds of games. Also they'll probably replace the lovely N64 stick with a good one.

Righto. Is that why you listed Party 2 in your list?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yes. Also because in 2 you wear party costumes depending on the board

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Feenix posted:

I think it is a testament to how good the core principles/aesthetic/ideas are in Splatoon that I am ordering this DAY ONE, despite the fact that in 3 Test Punch sessions AND the Splatfest, I didn't really like the controls.

But I know that can be overcome. At the very least, I go decent with the Roller.

Also my 4 year old loves it.

Yeah, rollers are the way to go if the aiming controls turn you off. Just roll around, spread ink, bring the Hammer of Squid Thor down on unsuspecting fools. Rollers are good.

angel opportunity posted:

I'm pretty on the fence with Splatoon but will probably buy it.

I played the last test splat for most of the time it was on, and I kind of liked it. I used motion controls with split joycons, and I found that to be kind of awkward. I think I probably would like motion controls more if I practice it longer, but how awkward they felt was a pretty big turnoff for me. Still I wouldn't want to play it without motion controls because it would be so much harder to aim fast.

I also really didn't like how much downtime it felt like there was. The matches felt VERY short, which is good sort of, but I kind of wish there were a way to do a best 2/3 where the next match started immediately. It felt as if half the time I was playing was spent sitting there waiting for the next match to start.

In the first game, there were mini-games you could play while you waited in between matches. The game came with Squid Jump, and the Amiibos unlocked 3 more minigames. I don't know if Squid Jump or the like are back in Splatoon 2, but I don't see any reason why they would take them out.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bandaid.friend posted:

Righto. Is that why you listed Party 2 in your list?

2 also has most of the mini games from 1 with revised controls.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Natalie Dormer for Daisy in the next movie adaptation

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

This Twitter is good.

It is good and I just followed it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

just looking at the potential N64 classics lineup, christ the lack of RPGs and fighting games was a tremendous bane. Maybe it's just me but that generation of consoles had a lot of growing pains and quite a lot of stuff hasn't aged well at all.

that being said Mischief Makers would absolutely be the selling point for me if it was included. Anything that would be capable of playing Ogre Battle 64 / Mischief Makers / Mario 64 / FZero X would be worth the trouble to own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
That's the face Daisy gonna make when she's passed up again for the next Smash but Pauline makes it in as a new fighter.

• Locked thread