Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

As much as I like the show it has the same problem the movie does in that everything that is going to happen does regardless of time fuckery. Which is totally fine but it does it every season. I'm kinda glad it's just getting one more season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Not 100% but I'm pretty sure that in episode 5, when Jennifer knocks out the auction house lady as she's dialing 911 the operator that answers says "911, what's the Primary emergency"

Sometimes it's the little things

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ok not reading the thread because I'm only on 5 so far but I swear someone on the casting team is an Impractical Jokers fan.

Anyway, season is pretty great so far. I'm attempting to get it done before the weekend but if I have to wait a week to finish that's ok.

Also episode five loving rules

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Just finished the season. Really good stuff, easily on par with what came before.

Gonna suck having to wait a year for the final season though :(

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hi, everyone. Still posting without reading.

I guess I've seen the first 4 eps and I have nothing to complain about.

I'm only posting to make one little callout to something that is so well done:

Cole and Cassie are reunited at the end of the episode. Cole only now has learned the witness is their love child from an alternate reality that he thought was negated. They meet, they embrace, they look at one another. Cole's face betrays a question. He never voices it. He just emotes all of this heavy poo poo with very wide eyes. And Cassandra sees the look, understands it, and responds with a reluctant nod. I could, if I spent time on it, think of cinematic moments on this level of perfection. But I'd rather just not. That was freaking amazing. Not going into the fact that Deacon and Dr. Jones and the rest are there. I just wanted to highlight that moment.

I have just enough time to watch one more (not really but I will anyway, work and sleep be damned.)

Can't wait to finish the ten Eps and read the whole thread. Splinter sequence: Initiated.

EDIT: I graduated High School in 1989, so Ep. 5 is goofier than expected; but then again, so was 1989. I know because I was there.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 2, 2017

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Yes,
That scene between Cole and Cassie was indeed very well executed.

Someone made a comment that he misses the episode by episode thread discussion. So do I. This series was excellent for it regarding all possible speculation and theories.
I guess that is the downside of the new bingewatch culture we're in.

How is Syfy making money on this release format?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Heh, I literally said verbatim after that scene, "I'm really glad there was no dialogue there."

Episode 5 was indeed awesome. I kinda want the new thread title to be "Holy poo poo, it's Gozer."

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

It doesn't get brought up much but Alisen Down has totally nailed her role. Starting with the sequence where she escapes her cell, kills a dozen people then nails Deacon to the floor was perfect. She drops that smug as hell "splinter sequence initiated" and all I can think is "drat she knew exactly what the gently caress she was doing"

az
Dec 2, 2005

Alisen Down was really great this season.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
She really was. I've had a huge crush on her since the first moment she was on screen. It's crazy how she went from being "Striking woman" as her only characterization to being THE loving WITNESS SHE HAS RETURNED.

This show is so goddamn good I can't even

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Finally saw the last couple. Great season! I can't help but think this thread would be 20+ pages if they hadn't binged it. Ah well.

Was I the only one who was hoping after The Witness showed up and spun around machine gunning everyone he'd lift his mask and it would be Jennifer laighing manically? :allears:

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Yep, we have a luxury problem.
Some shows, like this one, are really great to discuss and (over)analyze between episodes.

But the gave us the chance to binge through it.... should we complain now?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I did miss the overall poo poo show of a thread. But there was like 10 of us watching it, and only a handful of us who crushed it outright as they dropped.

Great season, i'll fight in the nude anyone who says otherwise..

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

One thing I don't understand: how did Athen not keep running into himself everytime he went to save his ladyfriend? Shouldn't another version of him been chilling back in his house? Wasn't that why the why the other travellers did the "Thank you for your sacrifice" self immolation?

Or DID he run into himself, 600 times? :ese:

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Astroman posted:

One thing I don't understand: how did Athen not keep running into himself everytime he went to save his ladyfriend? Shouldn't another version of him been chilling back in his house? Wasn't that why the why the other travellers did the "Thank you for your sacrifice" self immolation?

Or DID he run into himself, 600 times? :ese:

Good point, hadn't thought of that.

On another note I just finished S1 of "The Travelers", another decent (but not quite as good Time Travel show).
A nice gimmick on the time travel is that the future can only send back traveles back to the point of the last traveler they have send. So no do-overs when they want to resolve a crisis.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

I did miss the overall poo poo show of a thread. But there was like 10 of us watching it, and only a handful of us who crushed it outright as they dropped.

Great season, i'll fight in the nude anyone who says otherwise..

And if you manage to take him down then you gotta go through me. In the nude.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Just getting into the season and digging it so far. Watching the Causality episode and love Jennifer's whole monologue at the beginning and the 90's dress up.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I just finished the season. I wanted to spread out the episodes and be able to digest them one at a time. Great season all around, though I was hoping we'd get more James Callis. I wouldn't hold my breath for anything other than a flashback/guest spot next season, but I guess we'll see. Sorry to see the Pallid Man go out with so little fanfare too, I really liked Tom Noonan on this show.

I don't know how I didn't notice until just now that Olivia was Barolay in BSG. She looks so different. I didn't trust Olivia all season and thought it was kind of silly for Jones to just let her be up and around, but Jones getting increasingly desperate is in tune with her character I guess. If Olivia was always the real Witness though, why did Athan grow up believing he was? The people who instilled those beliefs in him thought he was too, so the order had to have come from someone in charge. Since she could travel back to any time, did she go back and perpetuate the myth herself as a smoke screen?

I also don't know if I can take the final line of the season at face value. The implication of Jennifer being Cole's mom is pretty out there, to the point where I'm betting there's another layer to it. It'd be pretty insane though.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Watched the whole season over the last few days, really great stuff. Glad they gave it a final season.

My interpretation of the final scene wasn't that Jennifer is Cole's mother, simply that she was also Primary. I seem to recall Athan also sketching the Ouroboros, so it's one of those things that they both saw.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

sticklefifer posted:

If Olivia was always the real Witness though, why did Athan grow up believing he was?

Because he grew up his whole life being told he was the Witness and whenever he saw the future he saw the Witness doing horrible things. Being primary isn't magic, he can't just look at whatever he wants. He spent his time bumming around the past for a reason. He didn't particularly like where he thought his story was going to end. And

quote:

Since she could travel back to any time, did she go back and perpetuate the myth herself as a smoke screen?

Not a smoke screen, a requirement for her existence. She only rebelled because she thought Athan, the Witness, failed her her entire life. So rises up to kill him and take his place. Surprise! He was never the Witness, she always was. Now she has to ensure all the terrible, stupid things that made her life so miserable so that she will take the same steps to ensure she becomes the Witness. Time travel is a bitch that way. Besides, you probably need an Athan to make your crazy rear end time travel cult work. He was in a very real sense never conceived, and can see through time. That's nicely mythic for the rubes.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Mulva posted:

Because he grew up his whole life being told he was the Witness and whenever he saw the future he saw the Witness doing horrible things. Being primary isn't magic, he can't just look at whatever he wants. He spent his time bumming around the past for a reason. He didn't particularly like where he thought his story was going to end. And

Not a smoke screen, a requirement for her existence. She only rebelled because she thought Athan, the Witness, failed her her entire life. So rises up to kill him and take his place. Surprise! He was never the Witness, she always was. Now she has to ensure all the terrible, stupid things that made her life so miserable so that she will take the same steps to ensure she becomes the Witness. Time travel is a bitch that way. Besides, you probably need an Athan to make your crazy rear end time travel cult work. He was in a very real sense never conceived, and can see through time. That's nicely mythic for the rubes.

I kind of wish Aethen never had the line, "It was never me, it was always you" (or close to that). I would have liked if it was another instance of "Time NEEDS certain things and you are the path of least resistance". So Aethen really was a pivot point, he could be evil, or he could be noble, and that gives his life importance and meaning, his choices matter. But at the same time, since he essentially abdicates being the witness, Olivia is coerced down that path instead.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
That line wasn't "needed" indeed. This show usually doesn't spoonfeed clues and it is up to the viewer to put two and two together.

Unlike so many other show where the camera clearly focuses on some tattoo, evil grin....or even worse "suddenly evil glowing eyes".

I'm still baffled why this show got renewed yet again (well not as much as the previous time, but still). Does the daughter of one of the channel execs play in it or something?
Doesn't matter, i'm REALLY thankful for it.
A show like this getting a proper conclusion is a very rare thing, and we should cherish it.

(PS : Just heard 99 Luftballons on the radio... you know who i'm thinking of now)

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I don't think it was needed for the audience either, but I do think it was appropriate for the character. It's every bit him releasing himself from the prophecy as it is sticking it to her.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Yeah I really disliked the "it was never me, it was always you" line. To me S3 was the story of Athan escaping his terrible destiny, and it seriously disarms that theme when at the very end they say that being The Witness was never his destiny at all.

Being primary is basically time magic though. Yeah it's a magic they don't have 100% control over and it doesn't make them omniscient, but in a more conventional magic setting fortune tellers and clairvoyants aren't all-powerful either they just sometimes divinite information they had no access to. So primaries are theoretically connected to every point in time but it's seemingly impossible for them to sift through all that information and they usually end up getting driven insane by information overload (Athan seems like the most lucid and coherent primary, but still he talks about the lengths he had to go to in order to retain his sanity).

Still primaries can magically know almost anything. Or not know, if not knowing is more convenient to the story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo. I'm binge watching Supernatural and in season 4 Todd Stashwick (Deacon) pops up as a Bela Lugosi styled Dracula and he's loving amazing.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo. I'm binge watching Supernatural and in season 4 Todd Stashwick (Deacon) pops up as a Bela Lugosi styled Dracula and he's loving amazing.

Yeah I love this show and Deacon is definitely my favorite character but he'll always be the shapeshifter who was obsessed with Universal Horror to me :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah I love this show and Deacon is definitely my favorite character but he'll always be the shapeshifter who was obsessed with Universal Horror to me :allears:

Deacon is the best. How often does the antagonistic dick get fleshed out and become the best and most hilarious character on a show?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Deacon is the best. How often does the antagonistic dick get fleshed out and become the best and most hilarious character on a show?

I heard Negan will become comic relief in the next season of TWD ...

On another note I've been watching some other shows that include some time travel.... ugh... the inconsistencies kill it for me.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

hey guys I'm lookin for a new show to watch is this the show for me?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Ramadu posted:

That depends. This show has a very engaging plot, good characters brought to life by good actors and plenty of other things that make a show good. But at the same time I will be the first to admit, this show is not afraid to get acid-dropping surreal at any moment and that's not something everyone can enjoy

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 11, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Ramadu posted:

With nothing to go on ... sure, why not. It is the best time travel tv show. S1 is the most complex and is rewarding if you pay attention to the details. Internal logic is consistent. After that each season progressively dumbs down a little more for wider appeal. Somewhere there is a board with all the timelines for this show and it looks like the pic below but they actually do keep track of them.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Ramadu posted:

If you like time travel shenanigans the hold onto your butts

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Watch it for Jennifer alone imo.

Also Kirk Acevedo because that dude is gold in everything he does

Oh and Deacon.

Just loving watch it okay?!?!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Acevedo needs to cut back on his ten pack a day cigarette habit, then maybe he could speak aloud. :)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
How dare you. Joe Toye got hooked on them in the service.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Ramadu posted:

If we said no would you actually not watch it? Personally if someone told me not to watch a TV show I'd watch it just to see why they don't like it.

But in this case it's a great time travel show. Watch it for all the "temporal bullshit." (line from show)

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Rhyno posted:

He's a bit Sawyer from Lost in that way, but yeah.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/12MonkeysSYFY/status/888235845995515905

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Idgi that's exactly as far away as I thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This isn't Westworld, doesn't take 2 years to make a season. So yeah, 2018 was always what I thought.

• Locked thread