Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Dodgers organist owns:

https://twitter.com/suejo825/status/888189436789276672

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paracaidas posted:

Whatever happened to the MiLB prospect thread, anyway?

Any time someone wanted to talk or be happy about their prospects a bunch of assholes raced to see who could assure them that actually they would bust horribly just like every prospect. I think eventually mods shut it down and nobody bothered to make a new one.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Most GSW fans loathe the Lakers and Clippers, though I think everyone hates the Lakers (as they should).

I've been to Lakers @ Warriors games back when the Lakers were good and the Warriors were hot garbage, and watched the natives screaming their lungs as Kobe & Friends made buckets.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

IDK about hockey.
Hockey has a big LA/SJ thing, but most Sharks fans considered Dallas and (before realignment) Detroit to be the old rivals. What happened is LA won some cups, and that brought bandwagon fans. The kind of people where you say "hey name one player from 1993" and they have no idea. Which wouldn't be a problem if that didn't include some guy named Wayne Gretzky.

The rest of it was largely on dirty pool actions from players on the teams themselves. Including this great moment of underhanded play which amused the hell out of me no matter how blatantly illegal it is. (Arguably, it's that it is so cartoonishly dirty that makes it better than regular old cheating).

Also, and this sounds so stupid and it really is, but the Kings were the first hockey team to hire a social media person who tweeted with sass and attitude using the official account. It's commonplace now but having a catchphrase-spouting meme machine that ridicules the other orgs instead of the usual boring "Hi fans, come to the rink tomorrow for a free hat" tweets was totally new at the time. That actually does more to make fan bases hate each other than you might think.

(EDIT: Forgot to mention that the tweeting goes hand-in-hand with other LA hockey activities, which includes chanting "[whoever] sucks" to the Addams Family theme. But they don't reserve that just for rivals. They do that to anybody.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 21, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Most GSW fans don't hate the lakers tho because they were lakers fans four years ago

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

Hell, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Beane's demanding Torres or Clint Frazier as the gem of a package. Gray is the only game left in town now that Quintana's been dealt, and that trade set the price of good young cost-controlled SP at two top prospects. Granted Gray doesn't have quite the track record that Quintana has and he's an injury risk on top, but on the other hand seemingly every team wants him which is going to drive the price up. A's should at least swing one top prospect out of a Gray deal, if not two.

Quintana is better than Gray and has an extra year of control. I think Torres would be fair with maybe another prospect or two outside the Yankee's top 10. Otherwise I'd want at least Frazier and someone in the Sheffield/Adams/Fowler realm to go with it.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

I don't really hate norcal nor its residents. Deep down I don't really care about GSW, the sharks, A's or niners. Soft spot for the raiders.

But I do hate the loving giants. gently caress their even year bullshit for a hundred years.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Inspector_666 posted:

I was about to defend that trade because Beltran did pretty well, but then I remembered they gave the Yankees Dillon Tate.

Can't really say it was regrettable for a while until we see how Tate works out.

Yeah I don't consider the Tate trade a bad one because of the Rangers own stupidity handling him. Beltran hit well for us and won us some games down the stretch and that's all we could've asked.

Texas attempted to change Tate's delivery to a less violent one but he couldn't adapt and stubbornly wouldn't let him go back. The Yankees did and, surprise, he's pitching well again in the minors. Even if he ultimately doesn't make it as a starter he could be a very good guy out of the bullpen for them in a couple years.

The Rangers player development has this lovely habit of trying to convert obvious relievers into starters and it failing miserably. We pretty much ruined Alexi Ogando and Neftali Feliz's careers attempting this. CJ Wilson is probably the only person this ever worked on, and even he developed problems a couple years into his Angels deal.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I hate Girardi and his assigning relief pitchers to specific innings. Robertson was warming up for the 7th, 8th and 9th innings. Should have just used him after the 7th inning because he was already warm, instead of having to bring Betances in because it's his "turn". Chapman still came in for the 9th despite the Yankees being up 4-0 and him having pitched for 5 of the last 7 days. I want him fired/contract not renewed but he is pretty much guaranteed to be getting a raise after this season because apparently Cashman and the Steinbrenners love him.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Lmao STL fans loving hate the Cubs.

Like some dude in a hotel bar when I was in STL in '15, started like getting legit mad when we somehow got to sports, when I mentioned being a cubs fan.

Bars in Springfield IL had to put up signs for the Cubs/Cards playoff series saying poo poo like "hey guys we are all here just to watch the game please be nice to each other""

I feel like the Cubs have a lot of fanbases that hate them (Cards, Sox, Brewers) but the hatred from Cubs fans toward those fan bases is pretty tame. Maybe it's from a century of sucking that made Cubs fans not get worked up about other teams.

I remember the saying that White Sox fans would rather see the Cubs lose than the White Sox win growing up and still find it to be true today.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Is this real because it seems like outside of NL baseball and hockey I never really see it. A's fans talking among themselves seem to not like the Angels but they don't reserve any special hate for them, if anything the two California teams seem to agree that they should be dissing the two Texas teams more.

Likewise, lots of people who do not like the Raiders for reasons surrounding the "tough" image they welcome and pander to seem to like the 49ers, or maybe it's only to piss off Spanos. And 49ers fans, depending on the era, used to either dislike the Bears (Montana era) or Cowboys (Young era) or Seahawks (modern era) more than the Chargers.
I was more referring to completely non-sports related antagonism or rivalry, which is a thing for many but not all.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Stop stealin our water for golf courses in the desert, fuckos!! :argh:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tigers had three Royals runners caught in a run down at various times during the first inning of Thursday's game and managed to get zero of them out.

It's a good baseball team ran by a competent front office.

For reference:
https://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2017/07/21/1628682983/1500610352330/asset_1800K.mp4

Beller
Apr 9, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Also, and this sounds so stupid and it really is, but the Kings were the first hockey team to hire a social media person who tweeted with sass and attitude using the official account. It's commonplace now but having a catchphrase-spouting meme machine that ridicules the other orgs instead of the usual boring "Hi fans, come to the rink tomorrow for a free hat" tweets was totally new at the time.

Even though they are my favorite team and those postseason runs are my greatest sports memories by far I will never forgive them for this.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Garcia to the Twins seems to be falling apart.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

seiferguy posted:

Most Mariner fans hate the Yankees for 2001. If you were to poll them now, it would probably be something along the lines of Yankees / Blue Jays / Angels / Astros.

2007/2008 Mariners say hello. Team goes all in and still manages to lose 101 games!

2001 was just getting even for 1995.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
What do you think it would take for the Pirates to get Yu Darvish? Marco Estrada? Alex Cobb?

Essentially I've never been more mad at the Pirates for not nailing down the Quintana deal this past offseason.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Niwrad posted:

I feel like the Cubs have a lot of fanbases that hate them (Cards, Sox, Brewers) but the hatred from Cubs fans toward those fan bases is pretty tame. Maybe it's from a century of sucking that made Cubs fans not get worked up about other teams.

I remember the saying that White Sox fans would rather see the Cubs lose than the White Sox win growing up and still find it to be true today.

There are definitely a good share of rear end in a top hat Cubs fans. My sister wore a White Sox hat to a game at Wrigley when she was a teenager and some dude more than twice her age was nice enough to call her a bitch because of it

But yeah, as a Cubs fan who went to the University of Missouri, Cardinals fans I knew would try to talk poo poo, and I would always just agree with them that the Cubs did suck. Nobody can hate the Cubs better than a Cubs fan.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

xbilkis posted:

There are definitely a good share of rear end in a top hat Cubs fans. My sister wore a White Sox hat to a game at Wrigley when she was a teenager and some dude more than twice her age was nice enough to call her a bitch because of it

But yeah, as a Cubs fan who went to the University of Missouri, Cardinals fans I knew would try to talk poo poo, and I would always just agree with them that the Cubs did suck. Nobody can hate the Cubs better than a Cubs fan.

Yeah, there are definitely assholes in every fanbase and that number only goes up with the number of fans overall. That said, I find the vast majority of Cubs/Cardinals fan interactions I've been part of are mostly just good-natured ribbing. Thinking on it, I'm probably harder on Royals fans than I am Cardinals fans, strangely enough.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
One time when I was visiting Columbia I made the decision to go to a buffalo wild wings when the cardinals were playing in the world series. This is what we term a "life mistake".

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

mcmagic posted:

You did it in 2000 as well, dicks.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Re: rivalry-chat, I have always found it much easier to LIKE teams in the NL East than to hate them...except for the Braves. I will always hate the Braves.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

The Yadi/Carson Kelly apprenticeship has begun. Cardinals called him up and DFAed Fryer.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

The Yadi/Carson Kelly apprenticeship has begun. Cardinals called him up and DFAed Fryer.

As much as I hate the Cards, there probably is no better catcher to learn under in the leagues than Yadi.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

i'll always have a distaste for Seattle because they signed away Cano with a stupidly large offer, and the Yanks gave that money to Ellsbury; I was Mad Online about Detroit after that run of playoff series where we couldn't get past them; in division though, everyone is annoying

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

mcmagic posted:

Ah yes, because the Yankees didn't win it all in 1996.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

Re: rivalry-chat, I have always found it much easier to LIKE teams in the NL East than to hate them...except for the Braves. I will always hate the Braves.

:feelsgood:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Stop adding players I like to the Cardinals 25-man roster, tia

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

bewbies posted:

One time when I was visiting Columbia I made the decision to go to a buffalo wild wings when the cardinals were playing in the world series. This is what we term a "life mistake".

One of the worst sports watching experiences of my life was being at a Columbia bar with a Royals fan friend for Game 5 of the 2012 Cardinals-Nats NLDS

We got a brief moment to bask in the schadenfreude of what seemed like a certain loss...and then...

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

xbilkis posted:

One of the worst sports watching experiences of my life was being at a Columbia bar with a Royals fan friend for Game 5 of the 2012 Cardinals-Nats NLDS

We got a brief moment to bask in the schadenfreude of what seemed like a certain loss...and then...

Please do not trigger me.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Carlosologist posted:

i'll always have a distaste for Seattle because they signed away Cano with a stupidly large offer, and the Yanks gave that money to Ellsbury; I was Mad Online about Detroit after that run of playoff series where we couldn't get past them; in division though, everyone is annoying

I also have a strong dislike of the Angels ever since the Rally Monkey thing started and because the Yankees losing to them coincided with the end of that dynasty/Bernie Williams being good.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

It's weird, because I like individual players on the team and I rooted for Folty to get that no-hitter, but I still hate the team as a whole. I understand that I'm supposed to hate the Nats now too, but I refuse to hate a team with Bryce Harper and Max Scherzer on it (edit: unless one or both of them gets traded to the Braves).

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I also hate the Braves but that's mostly related to their knocking the Astros out of the NLDS every single year for like a decade

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

ihatepants posted:

I also have a strong dislike of the Angels ever since the Rally Monkey thing started and because the Yankees losing to them coincided with the end of that dynasty/Bernie Williams being good.

I have a soft spot for Bernie Williams because whenever the Yankees were in Boston while I was at school there, he'd stop by my college and have a jam session with some of the jazz professors. :cool:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

xbilkis posted:

I've only ever had one negative experience with Cubs fans at Wrigley. Some drunk bro tried to start a fight with me on Addison after Game 4 of the 2015 NLDS. Note: I was clearly walking with my dad during all this, who was decked out in Cubs gear. Brewers fans have been much worse in my experience.

iospace posted:

As much as I hate the Cards, there probably is no better catcher to learn under in the leagues than Yadi.

To be fair, he'll teach you whether you're a Cardinal or not.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/advice-from-yadier-molina-went-a-long-way-with-willson-contreras/

xbilkis posted:

Ah yes, the Pete Kozma experience.

Poque posted:

Stop adding players I like to the Cardinals 25-man roster, tia

If I buy you a Carson Kelly shirsey will you wear it to work?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pancakes posted:

If I buy you a Carson Kelly shirsey will you wear it to work?

Explicitly forbidden.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/marinerspr/status/888439875942334464

This seems like a big move

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

gently caress the Cubs for 2015. If you're going to break Jung Ho Kang and Arrietta the Pirates in the WC, at least have the decency to not get embarrassed by the Cardinals. Holy poo poo gently caress the Cubs. gently caress you

Edit: gently caress you

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Moxie posted:

gently caress the Cubs for 2015. If you're going to break Jung Ho Kang and Arrietta the Pirates in the WC, at least have the decency to not get embarrassed by the Cardinals. Holy poo poo gently caress the Cubs. gently caress you

Edit: gently caress you

The Cubs beat the Cards in five that year? They got pantsed by the Mets though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Theo's kicking the tires on Darvish, bit idk how he thinks he's going to get him. The cupboard is pretty bare at this point

• Locked thread