Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The metal chain bikini is the lore-unfriendliest part of that image, and maybe the makeup. Makeup should actually be really loving rare in a post-apocalyptic wasteland (For New Vegas just assume the NCR is manufacturing stuff)
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I dunno, I think that one almost looks more like "I really regret walking around in the cold with just metal plates over my tits." Either-or really, though.

I don't know about you, but I don't take on a blank, mindless stare when I'm cold.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Dark Souls mod mixes in Counter-Strike’s Gun Game

I never really got into Dark Souls but I spent a hell of a lot of time playing Gun Game servers in Counterstrike. This looks pretty neat.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Kavak posted:

The metal chain bikini is the lore-unfriendliest part of that image, and maybe the makeup. Makeup should actually be really loving rare in a post-apocalyptic wasteland (For New Vegas just assume the NCR is manufacturing stuff)
:goonsay:
Eh, not necessarily. Makeup goes back a few thousand years thanks to extracting natural pigments from things like plants. No reason the same couldn't be true in the wasteland(s).

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Tumblr of scotch posted:

Eh, not necessarily. Makeup goes back a few thousand years thanks to extracting natural pigments from things like plants. No reason the same couldn't be true in the wasteland(s).

You see any plants in the Commonwealth?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Yes?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kavak posted:

Yeah you even grow them yourself.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Kavak posted:

Yeah plenty. Plus pigments can be gotten from various animals, too, like shellfish.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Can any of them be used to make cosmetics? Genuinely asking now that my joke failed.

EDIT: Interesting. I was going to ask if anyone had ever done an "Immersive Makeup Mod" but of course the 'slab was already on it http://www.loverslab.com/topic/56627-immersive-hair-growth-and-styling-yps-devious-immersive-fashion-541-2017-07-01/

Kavak fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 21, 2017

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Kavak posted:

Can any of them be used to make cosmetics? Genuinely asking now that my joke failed.
Almost certainly, and if you can't get plant/shellfish pigments, I expect one of the chemists on Rivet City or in the Institute can put something together. What I think would really ruin things is that you can't get a variety of cosmetics; everybody's going to use the same shades of rouge and foundation and whatnot, and tough poo poo if that doesn't match your color.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
At their most basic, a lot of cosmetics are just pigments mixed with ingredients that help them stick to skin. Apparently corn starch/arrowroot starch/other plant starches can be used as a powder base in a pinch, but I admit I don't know much about the art of home-made makeup. I can tell you that there's a wide array of common pigments frequently used in aesthetic applications (including paint and makeup) which you'd still be able to easily find among the wasteland, chief among them iron oxide for red. A lot of red pigment is historically just...rust. And if you're not picky about the long-term health concerns, lead makes for a readily available white pigment source.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
A lore-friendly makeup gun with ammo crafted from mirelurk shell pigments. Also adds a hidden unique model that's been modded to fire in Whore mode.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The fact that all of the post war clothes are shades of grey and tan is one thing that bothers me about this game. With the amount of colorful creatures and the variety of plants still around they should be able to make a pretty good variety of dyes. Like, all of the primary colors are represented in one way or another just from Mirelurks. The sad thing is that the original concept art had some really striking, bold colors on NPCs that just never made it into the game.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 21, 2017

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I am never going to be happy that places where people have clearly started to reclaim the land and live again still look like a garbage dumb exploded everywhere. Someone, grab a loving broom, sweep that poo poo out of here. You've been living here for years, you can do better than a torn up sack of bags as a mattress, there's a house down the street with beds and poo poo. Why haven't you taken some boards or something and fixed some of the holes in the roof?

It doesn't have to look like a loving master carpenter came through and repaired poo poo, but people should still look like they've actually cleaned their little homes and done some maintenance.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

- 4 types of potions are available via console: Potion of (permanent) masculinization / feminization

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Kurui Reiten posted:

I am never going to be happy that places where people have clearly started to reclaim the land and live again still look like a garbage dumb exploded everywhere. Someone, grab a loving broom, sweep that poo poo out of here. You've been living here for years, you can do better than a torn up sack of bags as a mattress, there's a house down the street with beds and poo poo. Why haven't you taken some boards or something and fixed some of the holes in the roof?

It doesn't have to look like a loving master carpenter came through and repaired poo poo, but people should still look like they've actually cleaned their little homes and done some maintenance.

This bothers me, too, especially in New Vegas, where the apocalypse only kinda sorta happened. In Fallout 4, there is a bevy of mods that help you clean up your settlements from static objects, the best one being Commonwealth Cleanup. In New Vegas, there's Mojave Clean Up and Clean-Deluxe. I'm not sure about Fallout 3, because that's a garbage game, and the settlers in the Capital Wasteland haven't lived out in the open for very long.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 21, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

"A garbage game" :haw:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm starting to get the impression that people who agonize over things being 'Lore-friendly' would have a fit if they played a multiplayer game with the same character being chosen by more than one person.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't know about you, but I don't take on a blank, mindless stare when I'm cold.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

A lot of the colors in early cosmetics came from bugs, which are pretty common as well.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

This is the Fallout universe, you could literally say there was a vault someone found that had eighty tons of cosmetics in every room and it would potentially work. Vault-Tec "tests" explain everything when you need to make sense of something like that.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Vault where society was built entirely around participating in MLMs was definitely one of the odder experiments but at least now the people of the wasteland have all the makeup, lovely serrated knives, overpriced kitchen gadgets, and sex toys they could ever want.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Scaramouche posted:

A lot of the colors in early cosmetics came from bugs, which are pretty common as well.

Obviously we need a mod that lets us craft makeup from the exoskeletons of dead cazadors. :v:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kavak posted:

If it can be ground into powder or turned into a paste it can probably be used as a cosmetic. How really depends on the era and what is considered cool or attractive at the time. Like apparently ancient Bretons used to spike their hair with lye while dying it blue (and also painting their faces in various patterns) with woad. People used to paint themselves white with lead and lead isn't exactly a rare, expensive commodity. Hell people will decorate themselves with grass and leaves if nothing else is available.

We're human. We find ways to decorate ourselves. It's just one of those things we do.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Scaramouche posted:

Not just early cosmetics.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Scaramouche posted:

Especially in a Bethesda game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like seeing that in action would be hilarious but I also feel like the odds of the guy making it being super white are about 100%

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

That's... that's not ebonics, though?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Reminds me of

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like seeing that in action would be hilarious but I also feel like the odds of the guy making it being super white are about 100%

1000% because

John Lee posted:

That's... that's not ebonics, though?

it's just the way for racists to say "n-word speak" without getting in trouble.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Found a more good thing

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxr5B0qZ8i0

Some guys made a hard mode hack for Paper Mario 64. I haven't played too deep into it but it seems to be fairly balanced - rough, but not unfair or anything. It's not just cranking up damage values, they added new badges, new moves to most of the bosses, and even a couple new bonus post-game dungeons, it seems like.

http://origami64.net/showthread.php?tid=789

Download here.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

This bothers me, too, especially in New Vegas, where the apocalypse only kinda sorta happened. In Fallout 4, there is a bevy of mods that help you clean up your settlements from static objects, the best one being Commonwealth Cleanup. In New Vegas, there's Mojave Clean Up and Clean-Deluxe. I'm not sure about Fallout 3, because that's a garbage game, and the settlers in the Capital Wasteland haven't lived out in the open for very long.

there's a lot of archeological study that goes into this sort of thing that it's dreadfully obvious not a single 'post apocalyptic' game maker is familiar with

the short version of it is that even with minimal material and tools people can and do make some pretty elaborate and comfortable shelters if they've got a reason to stay put in one place, and that reason comes from trade approximately 100% of the time. so if you're hanging out in a village, farming and trading, then your poo poo will probably be at least reasonably clean and you're not going to be sleeping on the floor on a mattress that is very clearly infested with lice. if you're not trading with anyone outside your band and are in effect a hunter-gatherer then your poo poo will be ramshackle because you fully expect to have to abandon it at a moment's notice because game is moving.

but nah instead everything just sucks because you don't have table saws anymore or some poo poo

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I've never gotten the complaints about people not cleaning the commonwealth up. Yeah, it's dumb that you can't do it in player settlements, but all of the locations where people actually live are pretty clean, and why would anyone bother clearing rubble out of a city that's actively falling apart and crawling with stuff that wants to kill them?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

there's a lot of archeological study that goes into this sort of thing that it's dreadfully obvious not a single 'post apocalyptic' game maker is familiar with

the short version of it is that even with minimal material and tools people can and do make some pretty elaborate and comfortable shelters if they've got a reason to stay put in one place, and that reason comes from trade approximately 100% of the time. so if you're hanging out in a village, farming and trading, then your poo poo will probably be at least reasonably clean and you're not going to be sleeping on the floor on a mattress that is very clearly infested with lice. if you're not trading with anyone outside your band and are in effect a hunter-gatherer then your poo poo will be ramshackle because you fully expect to have to abandon it at a moment's notice because game is moving.

but nah instead everything just sucks because you don't have table saws anymore or some poo poo

The thing is basically that people have certain expectations about what "post-apocalyptic" looks like, and most of those expectations are calibrated to "immediately after the bombs fell". So I'm pretty sure the developers know that it's not at all realistic that people are still living in houses with giant holes in the walls and dirt and dead leaves all over the floor 200 years after the war, but it's what people expect the game to look like so that's what they do.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Coolguye posted:

While generally 100% accurate, I felt Horizon Zero Dawn is a notable exception.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It's also worth pointing out that the Commonwealth actually is immediately post apocalyptic. The game takes place after the region's de facto military and government power has collapsed and most of the population has been displaced.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Coolguye posted:

In Fallout 3 the DC wastes had only just started being settled because radiation storms kept the place too dangerous to live until then and then the supermutants started showing up almost immediately and causing havoc, so it at least has a story excuse for why everything is largely untouched and the settlements are so ramshackle. New Vegas mostly just roled with the assets from 3 as a base which is why despite ostensibly a story and setting that is supposed to be post-post-apocalyptic everything is still dust motes and empty whisky bottles.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Guy Mann posted:

In Fallout 3 the DC wastes had only just started being settled because radiation storms kept the place too dangerous to live until then and then the supermutants started showing up almost immediately and causing havoc, so it at least has a story excuse for why everything is largely untouched and the settlements are so ramshackle. New Vegas mostly just roled with the assets from 3 as a base which is why despite ostensibly a story and setting that is supposed to be post-post-apocalyptic everything is still dust motes and empty whisky bottles.

This kind of stuff is why Fallout's bored me to tears for the last several outings. They're still retreading the same setting and the same ideas, and not doing anything really new or imaginative with it. I know what the Fallout setting is, what it looks like, what the factions are like, and what the story's going to be like. Show me something new with it all, please.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
See I actually think the most interesting ground for the series WOULD be to set it literally right after the bombs fell, when society has JUST collapsed and people haven't formed replacement social structures yet. But apparently Bethesda has a thing about never making prequels so instead they'll just keep pushing the timeline farther down and so we'll always have slavers and cannibals and the Brotherhood of Steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

16,034 years after the apocalypse and things have continued to spiral downward. 4- or was it 5?- millennia ago, a man tried to start a fire. For his hubris, he was boiled alive from the inside out.