Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Under the actual Disney label yeah, though outside of that they're more varied.

Like Disney used to own Miramax- Pulp Fiction was produced and released under them.

I mean yea but that's not really fair is it

if it's not under the disney label, it doesn't count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Argue posted:

This conversation got me to look up whatever happened after Lion King 3 and now I think they should make a world based on The Lion Guard, which the creator describes as "Let’s have a group of superheroes in the Pride Lands – The Avengers meets The Lion King!"

Apparently Simba's secondborn son has a magical roar called The Roar of the Elders that summons a stampede of past lion kings, and he accidentally uses it to resurrect Scar. :geno:

What the gently caress

I can't decide if that's mindmeltingly awesome or not.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
isn't that a children's movie though? Like disney jr?

What I'm saying is, don't expect anything that will be a worthy payoff to that plotline.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
RE: Zootopia world would be awesome if you landed and Sora became the lion hybrid that he was in the original design documents, and Donald and Goofy just become humans, except they basically turn into Wallace Shawn (the inconceivable guy from Princess Bride) and Don Knots.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Say "Xehanort" one more time, motherfucker, I dare you, I double dog dare you.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
We've always talked about that guy, but never his siblings, Xehawes, Xehaeas, and Xehasout.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Don't forget Zeheart. :twisted:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
So I found a copy of 2.5 Remix used for peanuts the other day, and I remember really loving KH2 years ago. I also caught a little bit of the SGDQ run, so I decided I want to try the Final Mix version.

I've been waffling between Proud and Critical difficulty, though. I remember beating the original PS2 game on Proud...ages ago, but I think years of RPGs might have made me bad at action games. So, having not touched the game in like, 8 years, but apparently being pretty good at it then, which difficulty would people recommend for me?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Unless you had a lot of trouble with Proud before just try regular Critical Mode.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

LordHippoman posted:

So I found a copy of 2.5 Remix used for peanuts the other day, and I remember really loving KH2 years ago. I also caught a little bit of the SGDQ run, so I decided I want to try the Final Mix version.

I've been waffling between Proud and Critical difficulty, though. I remember beating the original PS2 game on Proud...ages ago, but I think years of RPGs might have made me bad at action games. So, having not touched the game in like, 8 years, but apparently being pretty good at it then, which difficulty would people recommend for me?

Critical while choosing the shield. Critical's main gimmick is that your HP (and MP, but that hardly matters) gains are halved, so you take double damage like Proud but end the game with 60 HP instead of 100. Critical gives you a bunch of really good abilities and plenty of AP to equip them with though, so it never feels unfair.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I forgot you still picked between sword, staff and shield in KH2. And on both games they were 'fictional' in that it was a dream in 1 and virtual reality in 2. I wonder what's the sword, staff and shield gonna look like in 3.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

LordHippoman posted:

Critical is much more worth while. You're damage output is lower in Proud so battles usually end up being a slog. The lower health in Critical mode sounds a bit rough, but all it means is that you can't just tank hits over and over (until the end of the game). KH2 has a bunch of good defensive options, so battles on Critical are only difficult until you remember to use 1 one of the like 7 super-strong options you have at your disposal. Even if you're bad at action games KH2 can be pretty lenient if you use your options well.

Fwiw, when it came to the original KH2 and it came down to only proud mode, I pretty much hated the game for the "press x to do thing" reasons. It wasn't until critical mode which more or less forces you to use the good tools in the game that I really started to like the game.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Though to be clear, in 2.5 Critical is a KH2 thing only. Probably don't attempt Critical on Birth By Sleep unless you want to be made very sad.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Critical in BBS is bad your first time, unless you are able to instantly become good at command melding

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

bizarre deformity posted:

Critical in BBS is bad your first time, unless you are able to instantly become good at command melding

Yeah, Critical in BBS and DDD aren't too bad but they do require you to pretty much already know how to get the good stuff (or abuse exp 0 in BBS). Critical on Re:Coded isn't too bad though. Imo Proud sucks for KH1 and ReCom, though I never did Proud mode for Days.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ventana posted:

Yeah, Critical in BBS and DDD aren't too bad but they do require you to pretty much already know how to get the good stuff (or abuse exp 0 in BBS). Critical on Re:Coded isn't too bad though. Imo Proud sucks for KH1 and ReCom, though I never did Proud mode for Days.

You have to beat DDD to unlock Critical, and I would never try critical without already having all the dream eaters made. Re:coded doesn't count because you can toggle the difficulty any time, and replay any part of the game at will.

Proud mode in Days makes you take like 50% more damage, and makes HP balls only heal something like 60% of what they do on normal.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If I was going to buy one of the HD ports of 2, do I want the PS3 or PS4 version?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Endorph posted:

If I was going to buy one of the HD ports of 2, do I want the PS3 or PS4 version?

PS4 version probably, since it'll have almost everything else with it as well besides 3D

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Endorph posted:

PS4 apparently has almost no load times (whereas on PS3 they're worse than the original version.)
I think after the patch it also might be the less buggy version?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah they finally patched it and fixed the problem with the reaction commands in the final boss battle that was present since the game was on ps2. And all the other glitches that came with the higher frame rate, and the save crashing iirc

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Ventana posted:

What is the good stuff in DDD and how do I get it?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

toanoradian posted:

What is the good stuff in DDD and how do I get it?

I made some thorough effort posts about this when 2.8 came out, let me just dig them up...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Endorph posted:

After the patches, the PS4 is undeniably the superior version. The loading is so much better it's ridiculous, to he point that the PS3 speedrun of the game is a full hour and a half longer than the PS4 speedrun just because of the loading.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

When you create a Dream Eater (the friendly ones are called Spirits), it has a rank, with F being the lowest, followed by E, D, C, B, A, and *. A higher rank Spirit will always have better stats, and there's no way to raise a spirit's rank once it is created. You pretty much only want to make *-rank Spirits. The type and rank of your Spirit will depend on how rare the materials are that you use. Using recipes will always result in low-ranked Spirits, so don't use them.

Basically, when you create a Spirit without a recipe, you can choose a dream piece and the game will grey out any incompatible pieces. When you pick one piece then highlight another compatible piece, it will always show you what Dream Eater will result and it's base rank. This is the important part: you can raise a Spirit's rank by using more pieces.

Let's say you want to make Hebby Repp, who is easy to get within the first two worlds. You can make a rank E one using 3 intrepid figments and 2 noble figments, both of which are plentiful early on. You can also make one at rank D using 4 intrepid figments and 2 fleeting figments. (There are other recipes that use rare pieces but I am focusing on the early game) As you increase the number of pieces, the rank goes up^. Using 150% gives you one rank up, 200% two ranks, 300% three ranks, 500% four ranks. So to get a *-rank Hebby Repp, we could use 20 Intrepid Figments and 10 Fleeting figments.

You also have the option of attaching an item to give extra stat boosts. The best item to use is Dream Candy, which can be obtained through Flick Rush early on. It gives the Spirit +3 Affinity levels. Affinity determines how useful your Spirit is in battle. It raises naturally through battle and "bonding" but you can save time this way. Drop-me-nots and panaceas raise affinity one level and are ok when dream candies are hard to come by.

By the way, if you see a ! next to a Spirit's picture during creation, it means there is a chance it might result in a rarer Spirit^^. This can be useful for getting good abilities/commands early, but keep in mind that if you get the rare Spirit its rank will be reduced.

Hope that helps!!!

^ If you are on a world with the weather effect Risky Winds, your Spirits always gain one rank when created, which is vital late in the game.
^^ Risky Winds increases the chances of getting the rare Spirit by 50% iirc

- Meow Wow has Leaf Bracer
- I believe that Escarglow has Second Chance.
- Drak Quack is your best bet for Once More before beating the game, but you won't be able to make him or move around his link board until around the final world due to Once More being behind a gate requiring a Savage Fantasy.
- Lord Kyroo has Combo Master
- Skelterwild has EXP Walker
- Cera Terror has EXP Boost
- Ryu Dragon has Superglide
- Me Me Bunny & Majik Lapin have Dark Barrier and are incredibly good

Most of those can't be gotten until later, which sucks. To be honest, the best reason to get one of every Spirit (at *-rank) is to have access to them from the start in Critical Mode. Proud mode is easy.

The three new spirits in 2.8 are Catanuki, Tubguin Ace and Beatalike.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Wait wait what do you mean you'll have access to them in Critical Mode? Do you not have to synth them?

I'm playing the 3DS version.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, some dream materials can only be gotten through special portals, which are randomly selected for a world when you Drop? That is, if you want materials from Symphony's Riku's Special Portal 4 (random choice here) but that world had Special Portal 1, you have to drop to Sora, then to Riku, and hope in that drop the available portal is Special Portal 4?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You start critical mode with all the spirits you had in your first play through (lv 1 and with their ability boards reset).

You can always see what the next portal is going to be for both your current character and the next one in the forecast. Since some of the portals in worlds have repeat monsters, it can be tough to tell exactly which portal it will be without checking each area they appear in. Always do as many special portals as you can before you drop each time. You don't always get rare materials but you will often.

Edit: there is a glitch in the 3DS version after you beat the game, just FYI. It makes special portals appear for the wrong character. You solve it by dropping like six times in succession.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
How do you grind mats properly in 3D? It looks like the general methods seem to be:

Keep dropping until you get the right special portal
Fuse a cheap version of some rare dream eater and let it die

Anything else? The latter seems like a massive pain

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Linear Zoetrope posted:

How do you grind mats properly in 3D? It looks like the general methods seem to be:

Keep dropping until you get the right special portal
Fuse a cheap version of some rare dream eater and let it die

Anything else? The latter seems like a massive pain

I've never done the latter and I've made every dream eater twice.

I wouldn't grind for rare materials until later, closer to the end of the game, but keep doing special portals throughout your run and make whatever you can. The stat bonuses you get from dropping are pretty important, which is why I wouldn't recommend dropping several times in a row. Portals get you extra drop points. If you want to gain some extra drop points, go to the Land of Musketeers with a weapon that is more likely to trigger reality shifts and pick the Donald comic panel which drops like 15-20 dp. Use drop-me-nots if you don't want to drop yet.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I finished the game in Standard mode, so what I need to start Critical Mode with all the help I can get:
  • Grind the gently caress
  • Make all spirits, have them be *-rank.
  • Remake all spirits I have that are not *-rank
  • git gud at Flick Rush
  • Attach Dream Candies to the important Spirits, like Lord Kyroo, those that give Attack and Magic Boosts, Meow Wow

That should be it? Since going Critical would reset the Ability boards anyway, I don't need to grind LP for those new *-rank Spirits.

Another question: I've been using Water Barrels to grind for LP. Is there a better way, and if there isn't, what's a good way to gain Munnies?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Guys, guys, the Kingdom Hearts explained document is now obsolete, in favor of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bo6Cbeq18k

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Never

No

No never

loving, this just

We as a species have gone too far

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Of all the bad things we've done as a species (deforestation, mass slaughter, pizza on pineapple), "3-hour-long video of an anime reviewer guy explaining Kingdom Hearts decently to his other anime/game reviewer friends" is up there, for sure.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 23, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he has a poster of serial experiments lain so hes good by me

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He's also made this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sgZvEhXReM

so yeah seems like a swell dude

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
He needs to upload a revised and shorter version of the 3 hour video for the general public.

Just like Stephen Hawking published A Briefer History of Time.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I skipped around that video and only watched a total of like 5 min of it but I have 3 things to say

1. The way he pronounces Vanitas is really weird

2. He brought up some point like "This series tells you that science is bad" when looking at Ansem/Halloween Town. That doesn't feel accurate when you consider Ephemer (aka the only guy who bothers to research things on his own becomes the leader of the post-war unions) and the contrasting final areas of 1 and 2 which both show the extent of corruption in nature vs technology.

3. Doesn't talk about Union X/Back Cover stuff at all. I'm still waiting on a KH summary thing that covers those because it gets even dumber.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Union X/Back Cover is Kingdom Hearts 102 material.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

toanoradian posted:

Union X/Back Cover is Kingdom Hearts 102 material.

Fair enough, point semi-retracted. Early awkward pedophilia joke aside, I think it covers the general state of Unchained pretty well. I still wish he'd talk about the stuff from Back Cover/Union X/X's ending, cause that's where poo poo gets really dumb.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
My phone can't play games with moving sprites without lagging to hell, so I have never played any mobile games outside of trivia and quizzes, can you tell me what's X's ending is and its relevance? That video is pretty much all I know about Unchained and I really don't see how Union X/Back Cover connect to Sora and Xehanort's Fun Clone Times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

toanoradian posted:

My phone can't play games with moving sprites without lagging to hell, so I have never played any mobile games outside of trivia and quizzes, can you tell me what's X's ending is and its relevance? That video is pretty much all I know about Unchained and I really don't see how Union X/Back Cover connect to Sora and Xehanort's Fun Clone Times.

We don't know the end of X, it's story is still being released.