Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KxDfAo-Tek

I don't understand what I'm looking at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
I don't want to.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/888462655467380736

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

"Hey, can we take everything interesting from their designs away, and make them generic as gently caress?"

"Go for it!"

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/888464492400701441

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Kurui Reiten posted:

"Hey, can we take everything interesting from their designs away, and make them generic as gently caress?"

"Go for it!"

That just looks like some kind of variant costumes, honestly. They had stealth mode costumes before even.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Catfishenfuego posted:

Teen Titans Go is fantastic and about 100 times better than Young Justice or the original Teen Titans.

I could never get into the original TT and Young Justice thought took itself way too seriously for a show about teen heroes, but I've liked everything I've seen from TTG.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Holy poo poo, Steph. I'm down.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I still can't believe DC's going to try and launch their own streaming service for basically... just Young Justice, unless they're gonna rip the CW shows off of Netflix and put them there too. I certainly haven't seen any announcements for other shows coming to this yet to be launched service, at least. I know there is a very vocal YJ fanbase but I think it's gonna be interesting to see how many people pay up vs how many just pirate it.

Also I haven't been keeping up with anything about the next season of YJ but if they don't have an actual name and Batman's still calling them "The Team" or something I will flip my poo poo be unnecessarily mad.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 21, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Young Justice and live action Teen Titans. Plus they said it'll include more than just video content, so maybe (hopefully) a Marvel Unlimited style comic book library?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I completely forgot that live action Titans thing was happening, wow.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Well they just made a new deal with Netflix last year so I doubt that's over after one season.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/888613346588712960

quote:

First out of the gate will actually be Batman: Gotham by Gaslight, an adaptation of the popular 1989 tale that introduced us to a Victorian Era Dark Knight who was in pursuit of Jack the Ripper. Written by Brian Augustyn and drawn by Mike Mignola of Hellboy fame, BATMAN: GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT is largely considered to be the very first “Elseworlds” tale. At 48 pages, the original comic is relatively slim, meaning the movie version will offer an expanded version of the story, something that’s sure to delight fans of its cobblestone-paved world.

That will be followed in the spring by Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay, the first Suicide Squad movie set within the DC Universe Original Movies’ shared continuity. (Batman: Assault on Arkham, the 2014 movie that also featured the Suicide Squad was set within the Arkham video game continuity.) Hell to Pay will feature an original story and what’s promised to be an amazing, though sadly not-yet-revealed, voice cast.

Rounding out the 2018 releases will be Death of Superman, the first part of the two-parter. Adapting the legendary story of Superman’s fatal battle with Doomsday, this will actually be the second DC Universe Original Movie to adapt the material. The first, 2007’s Superman: Doomsday, was the very first DC Universe Original Movie and greatly condensed and altered the original comic book event to fit within its 75-minute running time. The upcoming adaptation will be more faithful to the source material, much less condensed and will include many of the fan-favorite moments from the story that were left out of Doomsday.

Finally, in early 2019, look for Reign of the Supermen, the second part of the two-part adaptation. While we’ll have to wait for an official synopsis to learn all of the details, that name should be a familiar one to Superman fans and suggests we’ll be seeing the rise of the Superman alternates that took his place during the year after his death. (For those unfamiliar with the story, they were Steel, Cyborg Superman, Superboy and the Last Son of Krypton.) This part of the Death and Return of Superman was greatly simplified in Doomsday, which instead featured a single alternate Superman rather than the four we saw in the comics.

Yeah...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is one my favorite stories of all time but I have less than zero faith in the DC Animation department.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

quote:

First out of the gate will actually be Batman: Gotham by Gaslight, an adaptation of the popular 1989 tale that introduced us to a Victorian Era Dark Knight who was in pursuit of Jack the Ripper. Written by Brian Augustyn and drawn by Mike Mignola of Hellboy fame, BATMAN: GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT is largely considered to be the very first “Elseworlds” tale. [/b]At 48 pages, the original comic is relatively slim, meaning the movie version will offer an expanded version of the story, something that’s sure to delight fans of its cobblestone-paved world.[/b]
Because it worked so well the last time they expanded on a much beloved Batman graphic novel. Also calling it now they gently caress up the art as bad as The Killing Joke too.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Get ready for Victorian Batman to nail Victorian Batgirl on top of Big Ben.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Hopefully it goes better than last time, I liked Gotham by Gaslight a lot, but I also thought it felt really rushed, even at 48 pages, a good expansion would be great. Emphasis on good expansion.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I just think it's time we as a people agreed that Bruce Timm needs a balancing force like Paul Dini, Alan Burnett, and Dwayne McDuffie to create good fiction, and that more than likely, crediting him as the guiding hand and chief creative influence of the DCAU was probably a bit much.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Again???

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah they already did this.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Can't wait to see Superman die again, but this time with poorly drawn art!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah they already did this.

They just did it in live action, hell.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

quote:

The upcoming adaptation will be more faithful to the source material, much less condensed and will include many of the fan-favorite moments from the story that were left out of Doomsday

Let's be honest here. The fan favourite moment is when Doomsday closes a car door on Booster Gold head.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Wasn't that the FIRST one?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Unmature posted:

Wasn't that the FIRST one?

Yes, the article quoted even says that. But this time it's a two part "faithful" adaptation instead of the weird half measure story they did in that first movie. I expect it will suck but I hope not since the actual story as it is on the page is good stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's no way the animated gif of Doomsday crushing a bird in his hand will be as funny as the panel.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Assault on Arkham was so much more enjoyable than the actual SS movie so I'm glad they are getting at least another animated movie.

But I guess these reveals mean Gods and Monsters was a one and done.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
We didn't get enough Wonder Girl. I'm happy to see her back. I'm also personally happy that more Robin costumes are getting Damian's hood just to have it. It's a good look.

I wish Superman stopped dying. DC just cannot stop killing that guy.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Vakal posted:

Assault on Arkham was so much more enjoyable than the actual SS movie

So is leprosy.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

haitfais posted:

So is leprosy.
drat hope your leprosy gets worked out

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vakal posted:

Assault on Arkham was so much more enjoyable than the actual SS movie so I'm glad they are getting at least another animated movie.

But I guess these reveals mean Gods and Monsters was a one and done.

I couldn't get twenty minutes into Assault on Arkham.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah Assault on Arkham felt like that Max Landis fanfic about the Shocker, with every instance of Shocker replaced with Deadshot.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vakal posted:

Assault on Arkham was so much more enjoyable than the actual SS movie

The lowest bar to clear...

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

TheDK posted:

drat hope your leprosy gets worked out

It's not so bad, apart from the electric needle room.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, and Young Justice are leaving Netflix in August.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

catlord posted:

Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, and Young Justice are leaving Netflix in August.

Presumably heading to the new service? Should I expect Batman TAS to leave Amazon Prime?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

I just think it's time we as a people agreed that Bruce Timm needs a balancing force like Paul Dini, Alan Burnett, and Dwayne McDuffie to create good fiction, and that more than likely, crediting him as the guiding hand and chief creative influence of the DCAU was probably a bit much.
Honestly, this rarely happens with Timm. It's mostly been Dini who people imagined as this architect of the DCAU, intricately plotting everything out despite the fact that he has almost nothing to do with a great deal of it. I think most people who recognize that Timm had a greater influence than Dini also realize all the other people who mattered along the way and often mattered more than Dini and TImm.

But it's one thing to say that the DCAU is a collaborative effort and where you get to at the end of your post. Timm is inarguably the guiding hand and chief creative influence of the DCAU. That doesn't mean there wasn't collaboration, but he's the connective tissue of almost every DCAU series. But beyond that, you have to understand that the design work that Timm brought was absolutely revolutionary. Drawing Batman with his big jaw and tiny waist was something novel when you looked at stuff like GI Joe or He-Man with its stiff and relatively realistically drawn people. As much as its propped up as being dark and gritty, the biggest revolutionary act that sparks from Timm is that action cartoons can be better action when you embrace that they're cartoons. By creating more rubbery and exaggerated characters, he was able to make a more dynamic superhero cartoon.

And yes, Mr. Freeze is Mignolia's design and almost none of the Justice League designs are his, but you don't get those designs without that initial spark that comes from Timm. I'd argue you also don't get Samurai Jack, Gargoyles, Spectacular Spider-Man, The Incredibles, or literally the last twenty five years of action and adventure in animation without Timm.

Timm can both me the chief creative force behind the DCAU, only one of many key players in the DCAU, a pervert, wrong about the notion that Batman should date Batgirl, and phoning it in with his current WBA work. All of these things can be true.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You make a good point. I apologize for my earlier comment.

I wish Alan Burnett got more credit for his contributions though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so all of the Origins shorts for Marvel's Spider-man got leaked or something.

The first five are pretty light hearted, Peter discovering his powers, deciding to wrestle (the wrestler is Bonesaw, like in the Raimi movies), and then the sixth one...

Peter talks about the trophy he won, points out it's made of "three different kinds of metal"

"You know what else is made of three different types of metal?"

so uh, this show'll probably be a bit more grown up than Ultimate Spider-man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TFRazorsaw posted:

so all of the Origins shorts for Marvel's Spider-man got leaked or something.

The first five are pretty light hearted, Peter discovering his powers, deciding to wrestle (the wrestler is Bonesaw, like in the Raimi movies), and then the sixth one...

Peter talks about the trophy he won, points out it's made of "three different kinds of metal"

"You know what else is made of three different types of metal?"

so uh, this show'll probably be a bit more grown up than Ultimate Spider-man

I actually don't know what's made of three different kinds of metal