Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A friendly reminder that even if you're a renter, garden hoses detach, and you can take them with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
How much should I charge my friend to buff and polish his 2005 toyota tundra?

The paint isn't in too bad of shape. I would likely just wetsand with 1500/3000, compound, and polish with my circular, and do a quick spray wax to finish.

I worked as a buffer at a body shop for awhile, but I've never had to charge someone freelance before, so I'm not sure what to ask. It is a friend of mine, so I don't want to gouge him; but I also realize it's going to be a couple hours of my time so I want to be fair.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dennis McClaren posted:

The paint isn't in too bad of shape. I would likely just wetsand with 1500/3000, compound, and polish with my circular, and do a quick spray wax to finish.

I worked as a buffer at a body shop for awhile, but I've never had to charge someone freelance before, so I'm not sure what to ask. It is a friend of mine, so I don't want to gouge him; but I also realize it's going to be a couple hours of my time so I want to be fair.

Wash, clay, buff, polish, and wax on a Tundra?
At least 500$

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I can't stand any hose that isn't a fancy no kink monstrosity, but here were it snows they are $10 in October. I have a front and back yard hose bib. :wotwot:

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Dennis McClaren posted:

If the paints not bad, why are you gonna wetsand?

Anyways a fullsize pickup is going to take you all drat day anyways, I agree with Ratbert.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol I didn't even read the wetsanding part.

If you plan to wetsand a loving truck, at least 1,000$

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Dennis McClaren posted:

Body shop rates look to be around $75 an hour max. Consumables will figure into that number, just like how much you like your friend.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Josh Lyman posted:

Using a palm sander with a microfiber cloth to apply compound and wax: clever use of poo poo I have lying around or fast lane to ruining my car?

Interesting. Are you going to wet sand? The good news about sand is that it's pretty cheap and since you mentioned cost was a concern you could get results without a lot of money. Since wet sanding doesn't take much water your lack of a hose wouldn't be an issue either, just get a cup from inside, throw a handful of sand at the car and sort of massage it in like a face scrub. You could also try applying the clay with a hammer. It'll ensure that the clay really gets in there and gets the contaminates out.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Mat_Drinks posted:

Interesting. Are you going to wet sand? The good news about sand is that it's pretty cheap and since you mentioned cost was a concern you could get results without a lot of money. Since wet sanding doesn't take much water your lack of a hose wouldn't be an issue either, just get a cup from inside, throw a handful of sand at the car and sort of massage it in like a face scrub. You could also try applying the clay with a hammer. It'll ensure that the clay really gets in there and gets the contaminates out.

It took me a second to realize this was sarcasm. Ive been reading the awful ai thread too much.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Alright guys. Weather is balmy 73*F and I have a carport. Wash/clay/compound/wax for the first time, unintentionally all with Maguiar's.

See you on the other side.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Alright guys. Weather is balmy 73*F and I have a carport. Wash/clay/compound/wax for the first time, unintentionally all with Maguiar's.

Welcome brother!

May your wallet never be full, and your OCD never sedated.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Josh Lyman posted:

Alright guys. Weather is balmy 73*F and I have a carport. Wash/clay/compound/wax for the first time...
Sounds like a good plan.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Finally got a chance to take a day for a proper cleanup.

Washed and Clayed, then a coat of Griot's One-Step Sealant, let that sit, buffed it, and did two coats of Best of Show wax over top.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 16, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Trip Report

-Washing was super easy, 1 gallon was water was more than enough. Used the 1 bucket/multiple towel technique, with 1 for the dirtier front and 1 each for the remaining left and right sides.
-Claying didn't seem to pick up too much with the except of bugs on the front bumper, which is probably good. Most of the clay discoloration came from the black plastic trim. I clayed everything except the wheels.
-Compound didn't help as much as I hoped. I actually got worse as I went along, probably because I was getting tired of using my body weight to press while rubbing, and because I started using more compound to do bigger sections at a time. I compounded everything except the glass, including the lights. I used a big sponge with microfiber on each side and this was a great idea.
-Wax was super easy to use, though I mostly did wipe on/wipe off. I used a big sponge and this wasn't the best idea since it absorbed a lot of wax and was a pain to wash in my sink after. I waxed everything except the front and rear windows, including the lights, since the wipers are supposed to wear it off.

Here are before/after of what the bumper scuff that motivated me to do this in the first place since I got paranoid that people would see it in the nice part of town where I go out on the weekend and think less of me.

Photos were taken under what should have been identical lighting conditions--before was taken 10 days ago 1 minute before sunset, so I matched the after to 1 minute before today's sunset because I am just that OCD.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Woah, don't compound by hand, it's practically impossible to get enough heat and friction for it to remove anything and break down like it should. Part of how compound works is it breaks down into finer and finer particles from the heat and friction and in turn makes a better and better finish. You really need a DA and foam pads. I think there is a torq kit with chemical guys pads on amazon thats a good deal.

That said compound is not going to fix that bumper cover. It needs a respray, figure $500 or so at a reputable body shop.

rdb fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 17, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

rdb posted:

Woah, don't compound by hand, it's practically impossible to get enough heat and friction for it to remove anything and break down like it should. Part of how compound works is it breaks down into finer and finer particles from the heat and friction and in turn makes a better and better finish. You really need a DA and foam pads. I think there is a torq kit with chemical guys pads on amazon thats a good deal.
I think between the microfiber sponge and pressing super hard, I was able to get it to the point where it became super hard to buff out. I assume that's enough heat.

quote:

That said compound is not going to fix that bumper cover. It needs a respray, figure $500 or so at a reputable body shop.
Maybe one day I'll care that much but for now, would touch up paint help?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 17, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
No you'll just end up making it look worse

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Guess I'll have to continue driving under cover of night in the bougie neighborhoods.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

rdb posted:

Would compound be enough to fix a clear coat scratch that I can barely feel with my fingernail? I keep reading about wet sanding being the answer but the idea of sanding my car with my limited experience is scary.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Yes, most likely it would be the answer.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
i just tried a rinseless wash and I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, it's convenient because you don't need to deal with the hose and you can do it in your garage. On the other, I feel like it requires more time and work. You don't get the initial rinse so the wash mitt gets dirty faster, which means you're spending way more time cleaning the mitt. You have to be gentle while drying because there is no final rinse to wash away the remaining dirt. You have to completely wash and dry one panel at a time. I didn't try cleaning the wheels because I felt like they really need the initial rinse to get most of the brake dust off.

I did bottle some of it and it works great as a spot cleaner though.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I have some doorcards that have been sat in storage for a bit.
I can clean the leather with my normal leather shampoo but what about the black plastic/pleather stuff?
Peanut butter?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Vinyl cleaner?

I'd try soapy water first myself.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
We just bought a car with leather and cloth seats. What sorts of products do I need to take care of the seats?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Vinyl cleaner?

I'd try soapy water first myself.

Aye that'll be first hit. I just don't think it'll go black enough

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Just bought a car that has some slight damage on the door cards. It's Volvo soft beige (very light) and the damage is on the soft touch vinyl. Any suggestion for repair kits/products worth a drat, or should I just be looking at replacement door cards?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm reading online that I should wash my car every week? That seems like a lot to me, though I did get this gallon of Meguiar's Gold for $8 and 1 oz per wash means it'll last 2 1/2 years.

Since I park in a carport with 2 walled sides, it looks like I can get away with waxing twice a year? And then clay/compound as needed aka maybe not even once a year?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Clay compound and wax once then as long as you're mitt is clean you'll be fine for a long time. As far as washing, I guess it depends on you and the car color. I had to wash my black truck twice a week, cause it didn't fit in my garage, and I would usually QD it in between to keep the dust off.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

30% off coupon at Amazon on Chemical Guys stuff: https://www.amazon.com/coupons/brands/Chemical%20Guys/brands-Q2hlbWljYWwgR3V5cw==

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Thanks for the coupon. Has anyone tried their 5050 wax and/or jetseal? I live on a dirt road and see a lot of bugs, dust and bird droppings. I would like something that lasts more than a couple weeks. Protection and ease of bug cleanup is more important to me than gloss.

Or has anyone used a "ceramic coating" that can be applied at home they could recommend?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
So I just recently got a new to us used car. It has light tan interior and has some gouges in two of the door panels, in the soft touch vinyl. Does anyone have a recommended brand/kit for leather/vinyl repair?

Fwiw it's a Volvo with soft beige interior.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm reading online that I should wash my car every week?
I just take my car through the touchless car wash at the gas station whenever I'm there which is about once a week.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

rdb posted:

Thanks for the coupon. Has anyone tried their 5050 wax and/or jetseal? I live on a dirt road and see a lot of bugs, dust and bird droppings. I would like something that lasts more than a couple weeks. Protection and ease of bug cleanup is more important to me than gloss.

Or has anyone used a "ceramic coating" that can be applied at home they could recommend?

I've been using Jetseal for about 1.5 years now, it's become my favorite synthetic wax (non sythn is Collinite). Easy to work with and lasts longer than most others I've used.

The 30% off coupon is good. Anyone with a dark car that hasn't used 'black light' should check it out, it's good stuff.

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm reading online that I should wash my car every week? That seems like a lot to me, though I did get this gallon of Meguiar's Gold for $8 and 1 oz per wash means it'll last 2 1/2 years.

Since I park in a carport with 2 walled sides, it looks like I can get away with waxing twice a year? And then clay/compound as needed aka maybe not even once a year?

At first I was going to kind of troll you again, but then I realized that I'm not being fair and am forgetting that when I was first starting out getting into car detailing in my late teens/early twenties I would wax my car then turn around and wash it the next week with so strong a soap that it'd all be stripped off.

I didn't actually realize this until I took my first brand new car to a PDR place for a door dent and the guy asked me when the last time I waxed my car was
"about two weeks ago" I answered.
"That's weird" he says... "When was the last time you washed?"
I respond "Oh, last weekend!".

And then came the learning "How much soap and what kind of soap did you use?".

I think that time I'd used Simple Green and the guy blanched in horror LOL.

So how often do you need to wash? It varies wildly based on time of year and region. And really, how perfect you want your car to be. I'm in the Pacific Northwest and in early summer I wash weekly because the pollen is everywhere and even though I park in a garage at night and a parking garage during the day, the pollen gets on the car and looks like crap. But at this point in the summer, if my wax is holding up well I wash every 2-3 weeks. my car is at week 2 right now and it only looks ok, it's dusty and the front wheels are getting brake dust build up so it'll definitely need a wash next weekend.

How often do you need to wax? Again this varies (see above), but for me, I usually do a full detail (wash, clay, correction if needed, glaze, wax) twice a year fall/spring. In the fall it's all about winter prep and synthetic wax (something durable that'll hold up to the winter rains), in the spring it's about depth and using something carnuba. I'll mess with different products in spring/summer so I'll sometimes do a detail or wax again, it just depends on how it's holding up. I also use Meguiars spray wax at every wash as I dry to prevent water spots and to touch up the wax, which I've found to work well.

I'd be curious to hear what the other guys on here do that are into detailing, I know there is a pretty big variance among us since this isn't a *~*detailing forum*~*

Oh, and to add more to this novel, the funny thing about detailing is a lot of the bad habits I learned as kid, I learned from my dad who was always sort of a car guy, but not into detailing. As I've learned about it he's gotten more into cars and I've shared my knowledge with him. He's now a committed ambassador to the two bucket method and Sonax. It feels good that I was able to pay him back for teaching me how to change brake pads, drop a tranny, etc.

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 23, 2017

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Using a palm sander with a microfiber cloth to apply compound and wax: clever use of poo poo I have lying around or fast lane to ruining my car?

Neither. It doesn't do anything. loving useless. I can't remember why I tried it, but yeah. Pointless.

Might be OK for applying wax, but by hand was easier.

Josh Lyman posted:

Maybe one day I'll care that much but for now, would touch up paint help?

Bad advice alert: I've had shockingly good luck making damage like that less noticeable (also on a Prius!) with my cheap HF rotary buffer, one of their cheap foam pads (can't remember which one, doesn't really matter) and the cheap turtle wax rubbing compound. You'll obviously never be able to get rid of the black parts, but I suspect you can make the white scratches fade away with just a little effort. Rotaries and rubbing compound aren't as scary as you think, if you're not a retard, and it's not like it can get much worse!

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 26, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Dumb question, my partner has a 2005 Mazda 3 which I'm slowly tidying up and it has a bunch of cosmetic rust spots across the roof.

Big

Same thing happened on my old MS3 but because that car was worth something I didn't mind paying to have the roof resprayed. This car is worth approximately gently caress all and is several different colours because of various repairs over the years so I'd rather not spend any real money on it. Anything I can do for cheap to make it a bit less obvious? Or at least stop the spiderwebs spreading?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

hello detailing thread

i'm cleaning up my e30 before i put it up for sale and i took off the rear spoiler so that i could clean up the paint a bit and these areas aren't cleaning up with my Griots 6" DA buffer and BOSS fast correcting cream. i think it's 25+ years of pollen and dirt collecting at this spot and not being a particularly easy spot to clean.

It's a single stage paint and i'm not willing to start wet sanding to try to solve this, so what kind of options do i have to get this cleaned up?

thanks!

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 30, 2017

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Usually clay will.get that kinda poo poo out. Your buffer will move it around and scratch the paint. Otherwise, don't be scared buy some 2000 and use some soapy water and have at it.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

always be closing posted:

Usually clay will.get that kinda poo poo out. Your buffer will move it around and scratch the paint. Otherwise, don't be scared buy some 2000 and use some soapy water and have at it.

Agreed, try clay first. It may take some work, but I'd be surprised if clay and some lube didn't take care of most of it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'll give it a try with clay but that's the limit of my give a poo poo factor on this car...it's a 27 year old track car at this point and i'm not taking any chances of loving up my paint with sanding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BraveUlysses posted:

I'll give it a try with clay but that's the limit of my give a poo poo factor on this car...it's a 27 year old track car at this point and i'm not taking any chances of loving up my paint with sanding

Don't sand. If clay doesn't do it, use a magic eraser.