Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

a cyberpunk goose posted:

where do cool people get free sound effects to mash together in 2017?

Sonisss gdc audio bundle 2015, 2016, 2017

I have several minutes of water through pipes, nails on glass, bees, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

leper khan posted:

Sonisss gdc audio bundle 2015, 2016, 2017

I have several minutes of water through pipes, nails on glass, bees, etc

I couldn't remember this, thank you.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

where do cool people get free sound effects to mash together in 2017?

I haven't gone through the library yet but we found this today:

http://www.sonniss.com/gameaudiogdc2016/

The mirror direct download links still work.

e: beaten.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I've had a couple days of actual productivity, luckily.

Game

AI is in, things can go places and do things and lose the player

Adding a mechanic to the little groups whi--

Meant to flip sprites via x_scale * -1, but instead flipped them by x_scale * -x so they exploded.

BETTER.

Also added Volume control, bystanders, disabled seeing-through-walls, and other boring junk. The amount of artwork I'd like to do for this game might be unrealistic, going to rely on repeated tilesets probably.

Music
Game is set in the early/mid 80s, and I was listening to a lot of music from the era for ideas/inspiration, and the songs are supposed to sound like those things but eventually just turn into parody/close-enough-without-copyright-issue songs.
I don't know if I like that or not.
Managed to fiddle with a couple songs I wrote last week and wrote a few new ones.
Lounge type song
Uhhh.. Enjoyable Separation?
Moody brits love A Minor

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I don't remember what day it is anymore since the start of the jam, but I have progressed?

:shrug: More objects seems like a sort of progress.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

If you need motivation sounds like the guy that's been doing 100 Games in 5 Years just finished!

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib

Mo_Steel posted:

I don't remember what day it is anymore since the start of the jam, but I have progressed?

:shrug: More objects seems like a sort of progress.

Isn't this basically just the Defold tutorial with a few extras added? I'm sure you'll change out more of the graphics as you go, of course, but I'm curious as to where it's headed.

Make your bullets bigger. Also, differentiate between your bullets and the enemies'.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I always forget how much time animation rigging takes

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tube posted:

Isn't this basically just the Defold tutorial with a few extras added? I'm sure you'll change out more of the graphics as you go, of course, but I'm curious as to where it's headed.

Make your bullets bigger. Also, differentiate between your bullets and the enemies'.

The Defold Side Scroller template was the starting point this was based on and a few of the assets (background / planets and score counter at this point) remain as placeholders while I rig up the mechanics that aren't clearly visible yet. I was originally going to go with a concept like Gunstar Heroes or Kirby where you get different weapons in this case by eating the projectiles, but I've opted to change that to just absorbing projectiles and then firing them back. It's a bit hard to tell in the gif because I haven't set up an "absorbing" animation for the player or a display for the number of projectiles absorbed. though if you watch the player model near the end of the gif you can see it reduce in size as it empties out of bullets.

I think I may end up making all enemy projectiles a shade of red and all player projectiles a shade of blue; I still want to add a couple different types like lasers / rockets as well. I feel like it doesn't fit the theme very well though, as the only thing "bootleg" about it is the absorption mechanic letting you steal projectiles. :(

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I got the core gameplay into the game. All the levels are playable. Feels good.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Vehicle physics is hard.

I used UE4's built in vehicle physics for my Demo Derby game a couple years ago. It's very very touchy and not very well documented. I kind of cheated. I made the base car that comes with the demo project invisible, then I put my car body model over top of that and disabled its coalition and physics.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

These gifs turned out a little slow an choppy, but this is starting to feel like a proper Batman game.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_EED-IIBLw

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Lowen SoDium posted:

I used UE4's built in vehicle physics for my Demo Derby game a couple years ago. It's very very touchy and not very well documented. I kind of cheated. I made the base car that comes with the demo project invisible, then I put my car body model over top of that and disabled its coalition and physics.

Yeah, it's ridiculous how extremely precisely you need to follow the directions in order to get it to work. They have more documentation, but I think it's the engine itself which needs fixing. Our problems were happening at the mesh level, and after a day and a half of tweaking the model we finally got it working.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

This looks great! I want to try that batman bat-slinging.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

that jump sfx 👌👌👌

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

behind schedule, pray for mojo

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

behind schedule, pray for mojo

I'm following the truest schedule:

Yep, everything's going fine. :haw:

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib

Mo_Steel posted:

I'm following the truest schedule:

Yep, everything's going fine. :haw:

This is pretty much me too. I have some sketches, and I think I've decided on a concept and an engine. So I should have just enough time to panic.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
The artwork for the stuff is done for the most part with me and my partner's attempt at a thing for this jam. I'm just working with the lovely programmer art to make the game mechanics work.

Here's a little bit of progress (was typing too fast for the framerate of the recording):

http://i.imgur.com/4XXOw7B.gifv

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Day time has no meaning on the open water slowing down is for losers

http://i.imgur.com/7KyktqV.gifv

I was envisioning swashbuckling acts of sailing mastery to escape the enemy in a roughly fair fight. But now I'm leaning to superior enemy, with crafty sailing to avoid being spotted, and bribes and trump cards when caught

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
wrong thread sorry

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 24, 2017

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

exploded mummy posted:

wrong thread sorry

For a moment in time my mind was blown.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
got the ball in, and it feels like a major accomplishment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwRJkR8A5dU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Everything is looking so good. I can't wait to see it all finished.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

You just made me realize that Rocket League is basically 3D Pong with teams.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Now I got a zombie in my basketball game. Click on this youtube link, it's worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tTAAsmKztI

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Heaps more stuff! I got a Super shotgun in. Item pickups work, too and I have the start of a sound controller set up. Hopefully I get the health and BG stuff done soon so I can code this guy:

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

Could you make this guy chocolate colored so it can be the cocoa demon? :3:

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

ich bin es, mozarto

https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/889638834815762432

edit: added some suitably russian folk(?) music to my tetris game as well
https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/889657218068619264

KRILLIN IN THE NAME fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 25, 2017

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

:kimchi: That's awesome.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Chernabog posted:

You just made me realize that Rocket League is basically 3D Pong with teams.

3D Pong with teams and sweet boost effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvN_0XTGu0A

also doin' donuts (reversing while boosting only slows the car down):

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 25, 2017

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Love Stole the Day posted:

The artwork for the stuff is done for the most part with me and my partner's attempt at a thing for this jam. I'm just working with the lovely programmer art to make the game mechanics work.

Here's a little bit of progress (was typing too fast for the framerate of the recording):

To go with that a "saving the galaxy without getting prosecuted" updated ISU logo.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

well i'm seriously out of time with how my week is gonna break down but i have enough to at least ship something worth judging

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Where I'll be going for crimes against pixels.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

SystemLogoff posted:

Where I'll be going for crimes against pixels.

Aw buddy :(

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
https://youtu.be/kWZqJ8B-P6A

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwCWdb4ktTI

TomR fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 25, 2017

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Still haven't started work on most of my games past their title screens, no big deal
https://twitter.com/GayAnimeDad/status/889910172318957569

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I've decided that, at least while under gamejam time constraints, it's best to focus on avoiding being spotted by enemies, rather than out-sailing them. With that I've made the AIs a little faster than the player, but to give some variation in sight-range, I added day night cycles...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGYk10This8

...so a crafty captain can use the cover of dark to elude the blockades. Also, the world is populated with a number of hooch-providing ports, and hooch-buying ports.

I also came to a belated realization that I'm making a bootleg of Sid Meier's Pirates :toot:

I think I've settled on a final list of things to work on:

• Give AIs some logic to pull out of pursuits given certain conditions (lost sight, taking too long to catch up, beaten to port, etc)
  • Tweak the parameters for the boarding timer. Once a pursuer is within a certain range of the player, a timer starts, and at the end the player is boarded. Right now the timer moves at a constant rate, but I want to modify it so that the rate varies with things like distance from the player.
  • Add more things to buy and sell, with ports buying and selling different things
  • A few UI cues for ports and spotting enemies

Things on the bubble:
  • Port banks: Money stashed in banks can't be taken if you're caught, so the plan was that as long as you had enough cash in some bank to buy a ship, you could continue playing after being jailed. A high-priority feature if there was more time, but the lack of banks doesn't really ruin the core game loop.
  • Music and sfx. If anyone wants to compose a chiptune (or similar) sea shanty, I'd take it

If anyone's morbidly curious, I've put up a real rough demo at https://rozisdead.itch.io/awful-runners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
So, as the sound designer for Team PUNCH FIGHT, I have spent the last two or so weeks knee-deep in the learning process for UE4's blueprints. One recent challenge I had was that, when a bunch of boxes collided with one another, they would make their collision noises all at once and it was really terrible! In fact, they made so many collision noises at once that they had a nasty tendency of forcing my music tracks to restart, and I didn't want that. Unfortunately, UE4 is a bit different audio-wise compared to what I'm used to, so I found it a bit puzzling when I seemingly wasn't able to manipulate 3D sounds after they'd been played. After racking my brain for a few hours, I came up with this nugget in order to force collision sounds that were already playing to stop:

Given what coding experience I have in Game Maker (yes I know), I was 95% certain that attempting to call a sound that hadn't yet been defined would crash the game, but instead it worked exactly as intended. Wow!

• Locked thread