Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

What is the best place for plans/guides/etc?

There's the class forums on the official site, and as we get closer to 3.0 the big streamers will start posting YouTube videos for good starting builds (Mathil, ziggyd, liftingnerd & zizaran probably).

Most things you find for the 2.6 patch will still work in 3.0 as long as they aren't centered around ignite or poison.

RE: doing every quest - generally you just wanna hit the stuff that gives you a skill point and try to blast through areas killing stuff you run into. Try and run 2 quicksilver flasks if you can and ignore other stats on your boots in exchange for 20% movespeed.

Twist And Pout! fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

enraged_camel posted:

Man, I've played for tens of hours and only reached level 62 or something.

Maybe it's because I play solo 99% of the time and try to do every quest and stuff.

Once 3.0 hits do every quest as they give out skill points.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Bugsy posted:

Once 3.0 hits do every quest as they give out skill points.

There's still a couple that only give out refunds (Mud Flats and Twilight Strand redux IIRC).

Twist And Pout! posted:

Anyone else have a plan for their first 3.0 character yet? I want to so a magma orb ignite type build since you'll be able to get the threshold gems off a vendor. Or maybe an elemental EK nova. Going health and MoM for both of them unless good CO gear ends up being super cheap because of the nerfs.

Probably ED/Contagion Trickster. Boring, but doesn't require any uniques and can focus on defense without being too detrimental to offense. Changes to Pierce help. Also it's really satisfying to have the entire screen drop dead without doing anything.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 21, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

The PoE class forums.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

http://www.timtips.com/buildbrowser/#/list

This just provides links to forum posts but lets you search by skill/class

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

enraged_camel posted:

Maybe it's because I play solo 99% of the time and try to do every quest and stuff.

Main thing that helps is a good loot filter, so you don't spend time picking up crap and making so many town trips.
Just learning the zones, little quirks that show you where the quest objectives are.
Just keep moving, only kill big packs, try and be right around the zone level if not below it a bit.

That'll speed you up a lot, but especially when the zones and quests are new and interesting there's nothing wrong with taking your time and listening/looking/exploring. But once you've done them enough (whatever that threshold is for you), doing the above can shave hours off your runs.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

enraged_camel posted:

paradoxically, the key to leveling quickly is killing as little poo poo and doing as few quests as possible

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

enraged_camel posted:

I play solo too, you get faster every time you make a new guy. Rodent gets to merc dried like in about 30 seconds.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I first read that as "30 minutes" and thought "Yeah, sounds about right for him"

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Edit: Wrong Thread.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

funmanguy posted:

On one hand, I don't want to see or hear CC&C ever, on the other, he may get paired to cast a mason game.

Uh....wrong thread?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
wtf, I edited that like less than a second after hitting post.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I'm actually quite slow compared to proper racers. I think I can make it to merc dried lake in around 6 hours on a naked account. The best racers do 1-70 in 5.5 hours.

whypick1 posted:

Uh....wrong thread?

Saying you don't want to see CC&C is never wrong, no matter which thread you do it in. That dude has "Bowling for Columbine: Part two" written all over him.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
You're th most obvious and closest example of someone who levels fast relative to the rest of us.

I'm slow as gently caress for how much I've played the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It takes me a good 12-16 hours across 3 days to get to maps.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I inevitably spend hours while leveling tinkering with sockets and links and looking for new weapons on poe.trade and poo poo

Even when I know I'd be better off just dropping everything, ignoring leveling gems until Lake, and keep on trucking I still can't resist optimizing things

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Do those times account for meticulously scattering flower petals across my hideout floor?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Mover posted:

Do those times account for meticulously scattering flower petals across my hideout floor?

you're winning the real race

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I think my biggest issue is that I'm a huge hoarder, especially in this game because I haven't quite wrapped my mind around which currency items are actually valuable and which ones are junk. So I end up looting and selling every yellow, and sometimes even blue.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

You definitely need a loot filter then. Start here and find one that's pleasing to you. They do have their differences, but they all (should) do the same thing: highlight what's worth picking up while de-emphasizing or outright hiding what's waste of your time. I use Neversink's semi-strict to start, migrating to strict when I'm really far along on a character.

Resource on installing and customizing your filter. I'd suggest using Filtration for WYSIWYG editing.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 22, 2017

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mover posted:

That really is so much fun.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Elentor posted:

That really is so much fun.

I've gotten word about a settlement that needs our help.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I wish I could assign someone as interior decorator of my hideout, they could use my masters/points to make my hideout look cool and I can pay with in game currency.

I am a creatively dead on the inside, but still want a pretty hideout.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I just fill my hideout with almost-naked dudes and couches.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

soscannonballs posted:

I just fill my hideout with almost-naked dudes and couches.

This is literally the exact same thing I do.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Does anybody have an opinion on whether the Bino's and Southbound combo is worthwhile on a poison trap Saboteur using Bladefall and Bear Trap? I'm looking at a build with good DPS (based on trap cooldown speed), but the survivability is questionable.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Poison traps are likely to not be viable in 3.0. Pohx recently tried that idea in beta, results were poor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNOTg5P74FE

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

If you don't have exiles all set to fishing stance in your hideout, off cliffs and balconies...

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Dely Apple posted:

If you don't have exiles all set to fishing stance in your hideout, off cliffs and balconies...

Bingo, fishing in the ol library with Elreon.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Updated to the new version of PoETradeMacro, and I'm pretty confused on how to create a custom macro now. Can anyone walk me through the process? In the old version I would've simply added this line to additionalmacros: "^Space::SendInput {Enter}/oos{Enter}" but I'm not sure what to do in this new version.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Anyone on Beta able to sell me a pair of divine orbs, and/or craft blood magic on something with vagan?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Only recently found out PoE is getting the entire 10 act thing in. Are they still omitted to the 'no repeating difficulties, act 10 swill put you at level 65' or w/e thing? I always thought that sounded neat.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Yes, but higher. Act 8 puts you at 60. Act 10 would probably be 68-70 (to put you in Merc labyrinth range)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Thats super cool but at the same time I was just hurting for a mindless game to grind in since I'm bored and now I can't play PoE for 12 days :negative:

Why doesn't the world work on my own personal time wasting schedule?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

What's a reasonable amount of HP for when I hit maps? My resists are maxed and I've got about 4.5k between health and ES, but I'm melting in a stiff breeze. Maybe I suck?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Deformed Church posted:

What's a reasonable amount of HP for when I hit maps? My resists are maxed and I've got about 4.5k between health and ES, but I'm melting in a stiff breeze. Maybe I suck?

What's the actual amounts? 4.5k hybrid is really low.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Kild posted:

What's the actual amounts? 4.5k hybrid is really low.

Liar! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecuuWAAI4bI

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Deformed Church posted:

Hybrid defenses are pretty hard to work with since you can't leech life and ES at the same time. In softcore I usually shoot for at least 4k life or 7k ES when I start maps, and 6k+ life or 10k+ es before red maps.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 23, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

christ thats a DnC build if I've ever seen one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Guess I'll track down a few more skill point and a bunch more health then. Thanks guys.

• Locked thread