Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I had the most amazing bow in Dungeonmans. I was getting ready to stick it in the wargear vault for future generations and was upgrading other stuff at the same time.

One misclick with an upgrade hammer and I smashed it to bits. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

dis astranagant posted:

Literal doesn't really work because of the loose katakana on then end. ゲー is phonetic and is pronounced about the same as "gay" but is almost certainly just short for game (leave it to Japan to abbreviate a 2 syllable word). The whole thing is thus something like "dying game" and I Want To Be The Guy fan art is about the first thing that comes up on Google.

That would make sense given the other established Japanese gaming slang that follows the same pattern ("erotic game" -> "eroge", "kuso (poo poo) game" -> "kusoge").

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I had the most amazing bow in Dungeonmans. I was getting ready to stick it in the wargear vault for future generations and was upgrading other stuff at the same time.

That's alright, you probably would have got it nurphed instead.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Dungeonmans doesn't have as many "Yet Another Stupid Death" moments as it does "Alas, Hubris" ones.

Actually, can we get that as a death message/you blew up your awesome item notification. Like the Dark Souls "YOU DIED" but more soul crushing.

Dungeonmans posted:

ALAS, HUBRIS!

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 24, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

RickVoid posted:

Dungeonmans doesn't have as many "Yet Another Stupid Death" moments as it does "Alas, Hubris" ones.

Actually, can we get that as a death message/you blew up your awesome item notification. Like the Dark Souls "YOU DIED" but more soul crushing.

Hey, the deaths count as stupid if it's your own stupidity that causes it!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

With Dungeonmans lately for me if it's not hubris it's either AAAAA I KNEW THAT WOULD HAPPEN or gently caress gently caress gently caress STOP PULLING ME BACK IN!

Getting really into Psychomansers, fistfighters, which of course means I need to convert a whole bunch of Street Fighter sprites first. :v:

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

First 3 floors only has one drink I care about (Lightweight Lager, which gives +move speed and a trivial knockback penalty) but I've been taking dives to 6 and drinking out a few times and then typically open a locked door on the way and die to out-of-depth... whatever the swole guys are called. Seems like there's a lot of actually not-garbage drinks on 6. But yeah, I'm getting a "Cannibal Style" before every dive. Wish I could spend TP on a gun that was better, but I'll get there, I'm sure.

That Lightweight Lager might be what's killing you, actually. One of the biggest dangers in floor 7+ is rapidfire guns, and with just one or two Lagers in you, you can get pinned to the wall and lose a majority portion or even all of your health relatively easily. With no knockback penalty, if you get flanked and pinned you can slide out losing only a significant fraction of your health.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Playing WASTED. It's fun, but the hitboxes (on both enemies and the PC) seem wonky in ways that aren't just gun accuracy - think tripping the traps with sight lasers vs jumping over them - and also I have absolutely no idea how I'm supposed to clear even the first dungeon. Enemy damage and health and armor all ramp up and I feel like my offensive options and armor options are both instantly outclassed on floor 7. What am I missing?

(also oh my god "The Lover Slab" quest is AMAZING you can even gently caress the waifu in your choice of positions and also Dick and Kissinjerk are also amazing)

Armor is the god stat*, and some level of SHOOT is required to keep all the bullet guns from being peashooters. The best armor set available in cooler 1 is probably the Denim pants, the Leather Jacket, and the Terminator shades. With a cannibal style drink you'll hit 4 armor and 4 SHOOT, which should keep the handguns bouncing off you and even take the sting out of most of the rifles that spawn in cooler 1. You can probably branch away from an armor/SHOOT build in later coolers if you wanted to, but you just don't have the weapon options to do anything else in cooler 1. Keep all the rifle ammo you find in preparation for floor 7. You want to have the armor piercing power of rifles on your side for killing the mutants.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

First 3 floors only has one drink I care about (Lightweight Lager, which gives +move speed and a trivial knockback penalty) but I've been taking dives to 6 and drinking out a few times and then typically open a locked door on the way and die to out-of-depth... whatever the swole guys are called. Seems like there's a lot of actually not-garbage drinks on 6. But yeah, I'm getting a "Cannibal Style" before every dive. Wish I could spend TP on a gun that was better, but I'll get there, I'm sure.

Knockback resistance is actually really important because you can't use air control or even fire while you're being knocked back, so I feel like the Lightweight Lager is a mistake. I know that opening the locked doors is a mistake because they can spawn enemies stronger than level 10 will generate but without dropping any better loot.

*Armor is not guaranteed to save you in later coolers, where energy weapons and rifles are more common on earlier floors.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In Wasted I just got really good at sprinting down to the end of a level. The hopping speed boost drink is amazing

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Synthbuttrange posted:

With Dungeonmans lately for me if it's not hubris it's either AAAAA I KNEW THAT WOULD HAPPEN or gently caress gently caress gently caress STOP PULLING ME BACK IN!

Getting really into Psychomansers, fistfighters, which of course means I need to convert a whole bunch of Street Fighter sprites first. :v:

Share them with us if you do!

I've also played a few more rounds after a long break, trying out some builds that were changed heavily in the last few patches, and it's quite fun. I was one-shotted by a champion in my last run as a necromanser, but it was a terrible build anyway. Think I'll go back to Psychomansers now.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Wasted plays exactly like fall out dungeon crawling, right down to how to sneak. Basically always be running, sneak when you get to doors, kill enemies with sneak, and then quickly loot and run.

The game's totally beatable without any hangovers/in one life, it's just a matter of getting familiar with the mechanics.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

omg, get us Ryu and Chun Li sprites for Psychomans :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Alright enjoy. :v:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7FVrpffUN40bl9pamxWM3B6a28

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

StrixNebulosa posted:

It claims that Larn was an influential roguelike from the 80s, and well, I've never heard of it? So I came to you guys so you could hopefully let me know if it's any good / fun to play.
One of my earliest childhood memories is that of watching my dad play Larn.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I think a variant of Larn was my second roguelike ever. I played a shitload of it on my Palm PDA after discovering a site (that still exists) where some guy had ported Rogue, Larn and Moria to Palm OS. His Rogue port even supported custom tiles so fourteen-year-old me could draw my own lovely grayscale tileset.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

TheBlandName posted:

Armor is the god stat*, and some level of SHOOT is required to keep all the bullet guns from being peashooters. The best armor set available in cooler 1 is probably the Denim pants, the Leather Jacket, and the Terminator shades. With a cannibal style drink you'll hit 4 armor and 4 SHOOT, which should keep the handguns bouncing off you and even take the sting out of most of the rifles that spawn in cooler 1. You can probably branch away from an armor/SHOOT build in later coolers if you wanted to, but you just don't have the weapon options to do anything else in cooler 1. Keep all the rifle ammo you find in preparation for floor 7. You want to have the armor piercing power of rifles on your side for killing the mutants.

Knockback resistance is actually really important because you can't use air control or even fire while you're being knocked back, so I feel like the Lightweight Lager is a mistake. I know that opening the locked doors is a mistake because they can spawn enemies stronger than level 10 will generate but without dropping any better loot.

*Armor is not guaranteed to save you in later coolers, where energy weapons and rifles are more common on earlier floors.
This is all basically correct. Rifles great, Armor great, mono-SHOOT great, knockback way more crippling than I had anticipated (although a shotgun + the shotgun blast knockback drink works quite well on the regular human SOBs) - how does knockback work exactly? Is it "you can't take or deal damage while in the air"? It looks like I can't knock someone back and immediately headshot them to death but it also hasn't happened to me.

And yeah, gently caress locked doors. Jeez. I mean, I got a couple energy weapons, total, across like five dudes, and Powerpaks don't spawn often enough that I even have a full inventory of them after multiple floor 6 runs and a single successful-but-Boozed-out floor 10 run.

Is there a Courier Box in the Admin level (B7) that I haven't seen? In case I get cocky.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

great stuff, cheers!

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda

Tremis posted:

Contributed by picking up Tangledeep. Looking forward to some delving!

Edit: holy god Zircon, the music is so great. The pan down title screen reminds my of Secret of Mana as well.

Played for a couple hours and have some some issues/questions:

1. Some enemies (spinies) seem to be able to pelt you through walls even though you can't see them. I assume that other walls you can see over in the first boss fight are just half-walls that block movement but you can shoot over which happens later on. Not sure if either is intended.

2. My menus don't scroll so I have no idea what a shop is selling sometimes if they have more items than the page shows.

3. It would be nice if some abilities directly told you about important numbers (like that toggled heavy shield abilty which reduces your crit and increases block chance).

4. Also the heavy shield toggle for the paladin doesn't seem to actually reduce your crit chance unless there is a 5% cap that you can't go under.

Thanks for the kind words :D

1. Yeah enemies firing through walls was a bug I introduced last build, should be fixed now
2. You should be able to scroll with arrow keys, mouse wheel, or controller inputs; if you loop back from the bottom to top, then there isn't anything else below. HOWEVER I need to put in scrollbars, I just hate UI with all my heart
3. Most abilities that involve numbers should say the numerical effects (like "170% of weapon power as physical damage...") so if there are omissions it's not intentional, will fix
4. Paladin needs some love :~(

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What key is it for the flask?

If I have the controller plugged in it just tells me to push the left stick, despite the fact most of the other controls listed are for the kb.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

This looks pretty neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBLoffoZLH8

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The engine on that looks exactly like Cortex command. Which I just remembered about and so looked up! Looks like it was finally released officially in 2012 to a whimpering death, shame. The steam trailer's first minute or so is rather amusingly self-deprecating.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Serephina posted:

The engine on that looks exactly like Cortex command. Which I just remembered about and so looked up! Looks like it was finally released officially in 2012 to a whimpering death, shame. The steam trailer's first minute or so is rather amusingly self-deprecating.

I bet most people's exposure to Cortex Command is when they bought it in the second Humble Bundle back in 2010, when you could very generously call it an alpha release. I feel like they did that to themselves.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

cortex command worked well as a weird little sandbox, but they never actually did much to take it beyond that so once the initial fun wears off you sort of naturally move on to more fleshed-out games

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im going to be honest, ive somehow never heard of larn and have no idea what it is

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tollymain posted:

im going to be honest, ive somehow never heard of larn and have no idea what it is

Short description:

1) One of the first to have a persistent town and entrances to multiple dungeons from the town.
2) You play a guy whose daughter is going to die of a rare disease if you don't find the magical cure in the correct dungeon in time.
3) Pretty good dungeon generation algorithms.
4) You cast spells using 3-letter codes eg MLE casts magic missile.
5) When you deposit gold into your bank account from the town or from the dungeon branches, it earns interest, which is kinda neat.

Also there's an older version of the game ported to run in the browser here: http://larn.org/larn/larn.html Somewhere else on that site is a browser version with tiles I think.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
now i want a nier roguelike

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I looked up the Larn controls for a good laugh:

code:
s - sit on a throne
R - Remove gems from throne
t - Tidy up at a fountain
A - Desecrate an altar
P - Give tax status

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Floodkiller posted:

code:
s - sit on a throne
A - Desecrate an altar
P - Give tax status

everyday we stray further from god's light

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The P is for... Pigovian tax?

(That poor guy's last name was Pigou and yet "Pigouvian tax" redirects to "Pigovian tax", economists are rude dudes.)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Floodkiller posted:

code:
s - sit on a throne
A - Desecrate an altar
P - Give tax status

The tax status is relevant because if you win the game, as winning characters are taxed on the amount of gold they have, and then later players have to pay it off to keep the tax agents from messing with them during the quest. The game also becomes slightly harder each time, usually through certain important actions being likely to take more time units, and so on. One can however set an option to just skip to a higher difficulty or go back to a lower difficulty if they want, they all have different score tables.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Unormal posted:

everyday we stray further from god's light

ctrl-shift-s : stray from God's light

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hey I must have missed the conversation about how madjack and unormal and hand of luke wrote chapters in a book about roguelikes.

I listened to the RL Radio about it and have now dropped my $70 CAD to pick up the paperback. Looking forward to reading about the new waveform collapse procedural generation mechanics.

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013
After just 3 floors and 8 crashes, I'm going to have to set Tangledeep aside for a good long time. I don't know what's causing it to be so unstable, but it's unplayable for me and I lose progress every time it happens.

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda

HeartNotes3 posted:

After just 3 floors and 8 crashes, I'm going to have to set Tangledeep aside for a good long time. I don't know what's causing it to be so unstable, but it's unplayable for me and I lose progress every time it happens.

Please report bugs to me, I've been working like 14 hours a day fixing everything people report!! Like when/where it crashed etc., and if you have an output log. As far as I know the game has been super stable except when you talk to the rumor giver in town; that's the only time I've seen/heard about crashes... (Also, the game now autosaves every floor)

Really sorry :(

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Tangledeep is running perfectly for me and is pretty fun as is, can't wait to see what the full release is like! Found a bug, though, when the player swaps places with an allied Floraconda, the surrounding ring of thorns from the Floramancer Master trait doesn't move. If the Floraconda moves itself the ring remains displaced from it, but otherwise behaves normally.

Are there any plans for a weapon mastery for staves? Seems a bit odd that they are the only(?) weapon type to not get one.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

41*9

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 2, 2017

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Dungronmans rangermans

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I admit I haven't played DCSS, but Dungeonmans is super-approachable, so I'd be surprised if an "oldschool" roguelike, even one as relentlessly updated as DCSS, could be easier to get into.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Mystic Stylez posted:

Which one is easier and/or better suited to beginners, DC:SS or Dungeonmans?

Dungeonmans is definitely easier, and probably a lot more intuitive for a total beginner. You'll still die a bunch, but each subsequent character gets some bonuses to help out so you don't fully lose all your progress every death like most Roguelikes.

Just remember to use your consumanles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Which one is easier and/or better suited to beginners, DC:SS or Dungeonmans?

Dungeonmans is orders of magnitude easier, if only because every death can add significant strength to future characters so you can eventually faceroll to victory. DCSS is pretty tricky and has a lot of RNG in the beginning, although once you get a few levels in it's fairly straightforward so long as you're shooting for a short win (which you should always do, extended DCSS is terrible).