Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I feel like both sides should probably let this go. Price overreacted majorly but Eck's "Yuck" at Rodriguez's numbers wasn't cool, either.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

How can the Boston media be so bad

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Der Meister posted:

How can the Boston media be so bad

Lots of practice

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I feel like both sides should probably let this go. Price overreacted majorly but Eck's "Yuck" at Rodriguez's numbers wasn't cool, either.

A realistic color guy/announcer is a good thing (Jesus loving Christ I hate Rex Hudler), but having those guys travel directly with the team on the same flights and stuff seems unwise.

e: Like, let the players get into media mode when they talk to media and not have them have to spend their travel time with those guys. Price likely doesn't go off as badly in that case.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 24, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

A realistic color guy/announcer is a good thing (Jesus loving Christ I hate Rex Hudler), but having those guys travel directly with the team on the same flights and stuff seems unwise.

I don't disagree despite my comment I just feel like Eck could have found a better way to say it.

I agree 100% about the travel aspect.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh yeah Eck didn't handle that the best either, I was more talking about how the arrangement probably made the whole thing worse than it should have been.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

making GBS threads on a dude's line in a rehab start is loving dumb as hell.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Especially in light of the fact that Eck moved to the bullpen because he was struggling as a starter. You'd think he'd empathize.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Royals have dealt Wood, Strahm, and Ruiz (minors) to Padres for Maurer, Buchter, and Cahill, and I'm an excited boy. A very excited boy.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

(Jesus loving Christ I hate Rex Hudler)

wtf

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

You are part of the problem.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Neowyrm posted:

Royals have dealt Wood, Strahm, and Ruiz (minors) to Padres for Maurer, Buchter, and Cahill, and I'm an excited boy. A very excited boy.

Interesting deal, hopefully Ruiz turns into the next Fernando Tatis Jr. for San Diego.
The Royals are covering all of Wood's salary through 2018 as well, could be a decent reclamation project.

Overall I think it's a good deal for both teams.

ColdBlooded fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 25, 2017

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Travis Wood back to the NL?

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v1204440183/hughes-and-coomer-call-travis-woods-home-run

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

iospace posted:

I've done that. It sucks hard.

This is truth. Especially because there's a nonzero chance there's another one coming while you're already recoiling in pain.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
The Rangers are going to be really dumb and not trade the (arguably) best trade piece in the market despite having a garbage team that isn't going to compete for poo poo.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Rays/status/889584134791847937

Sergio Romo, 2017: 6.12 ERA, 1.400 WHIP, 4.3 BB/9

Seems to be going pretty well...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://twitter.com/Phillies/status/889644128413331457
https://twitter.com/astros/status/889645058735181824

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

The Rangers are going to be really dumb and not trade the (arguably) best trade piece in the market despite having a garbage team that isn't going to compete for poo poo.

And then Yu leaves in the offseason for nothing but a comp pick and JD has to actually worry about his job for the first time.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

what is the most infuriating baseball thing a team does: I think it's stranding guys on the bases but I also think it's having a shaky-rear end bullpen when you say oh no it's that rear end in a top hat and then watching them just destroy a lead, especially if one of those guys is your closer and (purely hyopthetical and not at all referring to my own experiences) has really dumb goggles or extra digits on his pitching hand.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

R.D. Mangles posted:

what is the most infuriating baseball thing a team does: I think it's stranding guys on the bases but I also think it's having a shaky-rear end bullpen when you say oh no it's that rear end in a top hat and then watching them just destroy a lead, especially if one of those guys is your closer and (purely hyopthetical and not at all referring to my own experiences) has really dumb goggles or extra digits on his pitching hand.

ugggggggh now I have Ronald Belisario PTSD

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Man, Corey Kluber has been lights out since the start of June, keeps it up and he might challenge Sale for the AL Cy Young.

Also, I want a dang C or RF for Cleveland before the deadline

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Man, Corey Kluber has been lights out since the start of June, keeps it up and he might challenge Sale for the AL Cy Young.

Also, I want a dang C or RF for Cleveland before the deadline

I have one slightly used Jacoby Ellsbury that could probably play right field. It won't even cost that much.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
When they implement robot umps I hope they have physical robots behind the plate that look like Johnny Five from Short Circuit, each dressed in tacky umpire outfits from different eras and their own personalities with algorithms that increase the likelihood of calling balks or ejecting players based on a whole range of silly traits. 1890's Umpbot really hates Irishmen and I'm sorry, Andrew McCutchen, you shouldn't have mouthed off to him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rand alPaul posted:

When they implement robot umps I hope they have physical robots behind the plate that look like Johnny Five from Short Circuit, each dressed in tacky umpire outfits from different eras and their own personalities with algorithms that increase the likelihood of calling balks or ejecting players based on a whole range of silly traits. 1890's Umpbot really hates Irishmen and I'm sorry, Andrew McCutchen, you shouldn't have mouthed off to him.

https://medium.com/@byctom/theres-never-been-a-better-time-for-robot-umps-that-can-toss-out-players-all-day-without-getting-d298c0877602

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
As long as there's a JoeWestBot who plugs his lovely albums between innings

JoeWestworld :captainpop:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Once I read algorithms and balks this writer had me sold.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

R.D. Mangles posted:

Puig Destroyer is here to help you through this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWMuFj6wYiU

(At least you don't root for the Chicago team with Clippard on it!)

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Alex Meyer pitched 7 innings of 1 hit ball against the Nationals last week, so naturally the Angels had to put him on the disabled list with a shoulder injury. Good poo poo. Anaheim is where all young starting pitchers go to die.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Puig is not my friend

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Holy crap, Altuve is hitting .433 on the road.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Robo-Umps still won't know what a balk is, they'll just call one .016% of the time.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dodgers are the first team to 69 wins, do it in 100 games for a nice record of .690

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

nice

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Nice

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Nice

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Nice!

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
The hatchets are definitely out for David Price but I think it's disingenuous to pretend the guy doesn't have a reputation as a thin-skinned whiner dating back to his time in Tampa when he bitched about David Ortiz owning him or something along those lines

Like idk maybe if you don't want your fee fees getting hurt you should not play professional sports for millions upon millions of dollars? And maybe not throw a hissy fit when an actual, literal Hall-of-Famer doesn't suck your dick in the broadcast booth?

I figure this will be an unpopular sentiment but whatever, I'm Team Eck.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Sure is. So is physically confronting 60-year-old for saying 'Yuck'.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

e: Like, let the players get into media mode when they talk to media and not have them have to spend their travel time with those guys. Price likely doesn't go off as badly in that case.

Wasn't one of the reasons Steve Stone got pushed out of the Cubs' booth was because the players weren't happy with how he talked about them on the broadcast, like he wasn't nice enough when the team sucked?

tadashi fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 25, 2017

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yes. it was a drat shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

NiceGuy posted:

The hatchets are definitely out for David Price but I think it's disingenuous to pretend the guy doesn't have a reputation as a thin-skinned whiner dating back to his time in Tampa when he bitched about David Ortiz owning him or something along those lines

Like idk maybe if you don't want your fee fees getting hurt you should not play professional sports for millions upon millions of dollars? And maybe not throw a hissy fit when an actual, literal Hall-of-Famer doesn't suck your dick in the broadcast booth?

I figure this will be an unpopular sentiment but whatever, I'm Team Eck.

Sure is. So is physically confronting 60-year-old for saying 'Yuck'.

Eck is generally cool but you're being disingenuous in the other direction to assume a guy with a reputation for being a hothead and saying his opinions without any filter (which often makes him a compelling color guy) is unquestionably the blameless hero of the story here. And give me a break with the fee-fees poo poo please.

• Locked thread