Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Really glad TJ Miller left Silicon Valley so he could focus on real art.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Didn't they make this movie on Entourage

Edit:

Close enough

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 25, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mister Chief posted:

His standup was basically unwatchable in my opinion. It was like he didn't rehearse and just had a pool of jokes he could pull from and just winged it and relied on the idea that he's funny enough to just pour water on his head and shoot the poo poo. It's never a good sign when you start doing observational humor with members of the audience ten minutes into your set.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

Is Goreburger really that good?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pacific Rim was the best movie it felt only I really loved so I'm fuckin' stooooooked.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Needs a Cherno Omega.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Remember when we could design our own Jaegers and we all did dick jokes?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Everything about this looks like poo poo EXCEPT Cap who looks amazing.

🤰🤰🤰🔫😭✝️🔥💯

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

GonSmithe posted:

Here's a "better" look, and yes those are official.

Grimace has really pulled himself together.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

New Pacific Rim robots look loving boring.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

kiimo posted:

His standup was basically unwatchable in my opinion. It was like he didn't rehearse and just had a pool of jokes he could pull from and just winged it and relied on the idea that he's funny enough to just pour water on his head and shoot the poo poo. It's never a good sign when you start doing observational humor with members of the audience ten minutes into your set.

yeah I have enjoyed some p bad stand-up in my time but I had to turn his special off about 15 minutes in. I'm sure it's good for some people but those people are dumb.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

How is this name (or the name of its predecessor) okay? That's a racist slur.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
In America it's not really understood that that word is a slur. (Mainly because we're not really aware how loving bad anti-Roma prejudice is in Europe.)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Woebin posted:

uh, it's clearly avenging them, so it's OK.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Woebin posted:

It's one of America's racial blindspots.
Much like how other countries have little issue with blackface, a horrid practice, because they don't have such a pronounced history with African slaves.

America has had little to do with the Romani so using them in reference doesn't even emerge as a blip.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Supposedly it's named after the de Havilland Gipsy rather than the word Gypsy. But... yeah no.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

I had to sit through the trailer for this before Dunkirk and it was actually refreshing to find that I can still experience anger that intense.

There's a loving ad for candy crush in the trailer.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The company behind Candy Crush, King, is apparently worth more than the entirety of Lucasfilm.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Maxwell Lord posted:

In America it's not really understood that that word is a slur. (Mainly because we're not really aware how loving bad anti-Roma prejudice is in Europe.)

Or in our own country. I feel like I've seen at least a couple of Griffith shorts with gypsy villains.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Making character posters of barely distinguishable robot blueprints seems rather questionable, although I suppose it didn't cost them drastically more than just doing one of them, so whatever.

Also, "Uprising"? Geez. Looking forward to Chronicles, Vengeance, Redemption, and Bloodlines.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The MSJ posted:

The company behind Candy Crush, King, is apparently worth more than the entirety of Lucasfilm.

They said that about Zynga once upon a time...

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Or in our own country. I feel like I've seen at least a couple of Griffith shorts with gypsy villains.

THINNER

e: also i believe the slur is gypsy, whereas the prim robot is gipsy, named after an aircraft engine.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

They said that about Zynga once upon a time...

I sorta meant literally, since Disney bought Lucasfilm for $4 billion but Activision Blizzard bought King for $5.9 billion back in 2015.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

MacheteZombie posted:

THINNER

e: also i believe the slur is gypsy, whereas the prim robot is gipsy, named after an aircraft engine.

The old a/er distinction.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

The old a/er distinction.

some further googling as informed me gipsy also refers to romani peoples, so it's all bad

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The engine is named after a moth which is named after the usual usage of gypsy.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking of moth

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I assume that's also the etymology for 'I got gypped' in a deal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Electromax posted:

It is, yeah.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The engine is named after a moth which is named after the usual usage of gypsy.

full circle. thanks Aph

Electromax posted:

yes

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
And they all come from the word 'Egyptian'.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Oh man, the wiki confirms it:

wiki posted:

In the original screenplay for Pacific Rim, Gipsy Danger's key signifier and namesake was the image of a pinup decal featuring a "buxom Gipsy riding a bomb". Respectively, its pilots, "Raleigh Antrobus" and Mako Mori, were referred to as "Roma 1" or "Roma 2", "Roma" being the short hand term for the Romani people that live in Europe, the Americas and Asia." […]

When Beacham was contacted on the matter of part of the name's definition on his twitter account, he stated he named Gipsy Danger after the pre-World War II aircraft engine, de Havilland Gipsy, designed by Frank Halford.

That guy is full of poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The moth is named because they travel around by attaching themselves to lumber and stuff, and not because they're horribly destructive, so gotta give some credit to 19th century people for not going full racist on that one I guess.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of moth

I absolutely cannot wait to see what King Gidorah looks like in the new movies. Godzilla and the MUTOs looked really good, Kong looked really good, so sign me the gently caress up for three-headed dragon looking badass as hell.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of moth

Mothman Prophesies prequel got a lot of budget? SIlence of the Lambs remake really exploring different terrain?
Oh, King Kong will fight Mothra!

Pissflaps posted:

And they all come from the word 'Egyptian'.

You learn something every day.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mothra is going to carry Kong and drop it on top of Godzilla and it’s going to be awesome.

Then Gamera is going to show up and save the day.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think you mean Jet Jaguar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003