Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Naoto's entire arc was about how she felt she had to be male in order to be successful as a detective. The arc's resolution is her realizing that she shouldn't hide who she really is and instead strive to be respected as her true self. You're kind of missing the entire point of the character if you think they are supposed to be trans. History is full of women who felt the need to crossdress to be successful.

Fair cop, although I will say that it's the same conflict and resolution that Kanji goes through, of being confused about their sexual identity because of what society says they 'should' like. Even aside from me personally quite wanting to read a trans narrative of some kind into Naoto, the most disappointing part of Persona 4 to me has always been that they hit that same 'not different, just confused' note twice. Once is legit, two feels like somebody wanted to go for something but couldn't. It's especially disappointing because there is some amazing potential in doing stuff with LGBT characters in the Persona setting, especially P4, and they just don't.

I was a kid desperately in need of some positive role models, though, so Naoto was 'close enough is good enough'.

EDIT: Somehow posted that mid-writing.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 08:16 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I just finished the 2 DLC's for Dishonored and holy poo poo they were great,i actually liked them more than the main game,the powers were better,the environments and enemies were more varied and the levels were just more.....deep.... than the main game.

Best bit was definitely the design of the witches,they were very bioshock esque and I poo poo myself on the last mission when I was sneaking around the mansion,i heard the noise that indicates somebody has noticed my presence but not enough to be alerted and as I looked up, this horrible looking witch was looking down at me through a crack in the ceiling,totally unscripted but terrifying.

I feel like Corvo and Daud's designs should have been switched though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuebot posted:

Automata is the better game anyway. Have fun with robots.

Tou shouldn't try to split things so finely, or you'll cause a nuclear event :stonk:.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I could never bring myself to play Persona because I was turned off by the social life thing. I'd rather just explore dungeons and chat with monsters.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

scarycave posted:

I could never bring myself to play Persona because I was turned off by the social life thing. I'd rather just explore dungeons and chat with monsters.
I tried 3 and it sucked so I just played other SMT games instead.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

scarycave posted:

I too dislike social interaction in video games (and real life) especially when it's forced.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I tried 3 and it sucked so I just played other SMT games instead.

Persona 3 is not a good entry point compared to Persona 4 and 5 for a fair few reasons. It's well worth sticking with, but it's completely understandable why someone'd bounce off it hard.

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Isn't it still possible in CSGO to kill someone by bonking them on the head with a flash grenade?

A few pages back, but I always found this really amusing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IpA0xMwz3k

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm currently replaying Prey, and I'm a lot of the foreshadowing present in emails and conversations about plot points later, and much much later, in the game. Even just interactions between crew members are hinted at in early emails, which I found a nice touch.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm playing the current Diablo 3 season where they introduced the Necromancer, and I love the feeling when you finally get that set gear bump and you go from getting by to like four torment levels up and completely obliterate everything in your path. This waller enchanted boss monster puts a wall around me and i'm like "You got this twisted I'm not locked in here with you. YOU'RE LOCKED IN HERE WITH ME!"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Vic posted:

I'm playing the current Diablo 3 season where they introduced the Necromancer, and I love the feeling when you finally get that set gear bump and you go from getting by to like four torment levels up and completely obliterate everything in your path. This waller enchanted boss monster puts a wall around me and i'm like "You got this twisted I'm not locked in here with you. YOU'RE LOCKED IN HERE WITH ME!"
Now picture this from the outside: a man yelling this at his computer screen while clicking furiously.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Now picture this from the outside: a man yelling this at his computer screen while clicking furiously.

Well it IS the little things

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If I wanted to see that I'd just turn off my monitor.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

my dick is a horrible little thing nd i hope it gets chewed off by an angry quokka as divine punishment for stealing its honey

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

my dick is a horrible little thing nd i hope it gets chewed off by an angry quokka as divine punishment for stealing its honey

:same:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

FactsAreUseless posted:

That man sounds awesome.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Whenever I get a big combo on Candy Crush I scream "now I am become death, destroyer of sweets!" and everyone on the bus high fives me.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Didn't we have someone say their favorite little thing about Pokemon Go was that it gave them a socially acceptable reason to go outside?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Leal posted:

Didn't we have someone say their favorite little thing about Pokemon Go was that it gave them a socially acceptable reason to go outside?
They used to only go outside to give drugs to children.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

FactsAreUseless posted:

They used to only go outside to give drugs to children.

All those old specials were such bullshit.
No one ever loving offered me free drugs.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Speaking of screaming and Pokemon GO, this little thing in games happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFm8SJ0VOaA

Basically they organized a pokemon go festival, a megatournament during which the game wouldn't work at all. For everybody.

Vic has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Jul 25, 2017

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
The Pokemon GO craze was surreal, you'd be driving home at ten at night, and see a bunch of people walking the highway with their phones out.
It was funny though that the local news around here couldn't seem to go a day without bringing it up for awhile though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

scarycave posted:

The Pokemon GO craze was surreal, you'd be driving home at ten at night, and see a bunch of people walking the highway with their phones out.
It was funny though that the local news around here couldn't seem to go a day without bringing it up for awhile though.

Yeah, same with the olds at my work at the time being worried every day that some kid would be looking for pokemon in their front yard

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

scarycave posted:

The Pokemon GO craze was surreal,

Yeah but this happened a few days ago as an anniversary event.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I remember going out for a walk at like 11 at night and there were hundreds of people lining the street with their phones out. Walking into traffic and getting run over and the police would pull up and say "Pokemon got another one call the meat wagon."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Bad design almost screwed me in Toy Story 3, but good design saved me. The toybox mode was rendered uncompletable because of a large obstacle that I had to get past - an "Ogre" (really an upscaled alien) that I tried to be clever about by shrinking it so I could get by - only to find that there was an invisible wall until I got rid of it, and I'd just foolishly pushed it so far away the power that I was supposed to use couldn't physically reach. Every time I reloaded hoping that the ogre would reset, but it didn't because whatever happens in Toy Story 3 stays happened - however, when I tried to bite the bullet and restart the game from scratch with "New Toybox", I found I still had everything - it just reset the toybox mode. Thankfully the developers took that into account and added a feature to reset the toybox, which doesn't take that long to do things in. I like that feature.

Also I finally managed to get the final card in the story levels (the shooting gallery keeping the aliens away from the red line in the Kindergarten New Toy Festival level). That was so satisfying to finally get. To get three of the cards in that level you need to get perfect scores on the festival games, not gold, perfect. The other two minigames are easy as gently caress but the alien shooting gallery is so annoying as it takes so long and there is no margin of error.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Pokemon GO was legitimately one of the best social experiences gaming ever gave me during the first few weeks when the craze was at its peak. People I work with but never talk to wound up getting to know each other while catching Pokemon outside the building on our lunch breaks, a any modestly-sized shopping center or public area like a park or a school you could find a cluster of like-minded people with an instant icebreaker and excuse to engage them, and even online you had all the fun crazy rumors around hidden secrets and tricks that you used to see on the playground when people would swap totally legit strategies to catch Mew.

It's a shame that the actual underlying game didn't have enough depth to keep it going past that initial craze.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Pokemon GO was legitimately one of the best social experiences gaming ever gave me during the first few weeks when the craze was at its peak. People I work with but never talk to wound up getting to know each other while catching Pokemon outside the building on our lunch breaks, a any modestly-sized shopping center or public area like a park or a school you could find a cluster of like-minded people with an instant icebreaker and excuse to engage them, and even online you had all the fun crazy rumors around hidden secrets and tricks that you used to see on the playground when people would swap totally legit strategies to catch Mew.

It's a shame that the actual underlying game didn't have enough depth to keep it going past that initial craze.

So did you have anything to talk about? I mean I guess it's kinda like two people walking their dogs meeting only it's an app.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Guy Mann posted:

and even online you had all the fun crazy rumors around hidden secrets and tricks that you used to see on the playground when people would swap totally legit strategies to catch Mew.

Oh man, all those bullshit rumors were great.

Kind of wonder if kids still make up bullshit pokemon stuff like that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I just finished the 2 DLC's for Dishonored and holy poo poo they were great,i actually liked them more than the main game,the powers were better,the environments and enemies were more varied and the levels were just more.....deep.... than the main game.

Best bit was definitely the design of the witches,they were very bioshock esque and I poo poo myself on the last mission when I was sneaking around the mansion,i heard the noise that indicates somebody has noticed my presence but not enough to be alerted and as I looked up, this horrible looking witch was looking down at me through a crack in the ceiling,totally unscripted but terrifying.

I feel like Corvo and Daud's designs should have been switched though.
Playing as a villain but not being a full-on snidely whiplash bastard was awesome, and it was great when the DLC and main game intersected. Dishonered and the DLC was like two halves of a whole story. Not to say it was like they held a bunch of content behind to make you buy DLC, but rather that the DLC added to the original story in a way that was totally worth the 15 bucks.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Vic posted:

So did you have anything to talk about? I mean I guess it's kinda like two people walking their dogs meeting only it's an app.

Yeah, not just because of the game itself but because a lot of us were roughly the same age and also because due to the way the tall grass system worked (there are random spots constantly fading in an out of the world where your encounter rate is boosted and these spots become more prevalent the more highly trafficked the area is) if you played for a stretch of time it would be the same group of people bouncing from hotzone to hotzone so it wasn't just a passing hello but an ongoing thing where you were all sharing an experience and even helping each other.

I never spent money on it or any other f2p game out of principle but watching people come out of the woodwork whenever you popped a lure was so entertaining that it was the most tempted I've ever been.

scarycave posted:

Oh man, all those bullshit rumors were great.

Kind of wonder if kids still make up bullshit pokemon stuff like that.

I think my favorite was all the totally legit protips about how to triangulate the exact spot where a wild pokemon was only for it to turn out that the hold/cold system the game used that it was all based on was actually completely broken and didn't even work.

And kids totally make up stuff about games, if anything they're even more crazy about it than we were considering how big of a deal Creepypasta is to people that age. There are even official published books about Herobrine in Minecraft!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

2 little things from Baulders Gate:Enhanced Edition.

1. The game's saves show you how many in game days you have been playing for since you started. Since it's AD&D ruleset it gets a bit silly in this regard with having to rest all the time to get back your healing spells since natural healing is so drat slow that you don't really have a choice. But i like how it lets you keep track of how far you've come since the plot got kicked off. You can load up your save game that's 180 days in near the end of the game, easily swatting down threats that would have been impossible for you only 3 weeks in, for instance.

2. Getting to Baulder's Gate itself, there is a part where you are told to go to the bad guy's headquarters and search for information. You're not explicitly told where it is so you just have to go look for it yourself. I eventually found it by the docks but only because i was actually studying the environment and noticed the sign that pointed out where it was.

This is a little thing to me since in any modern game you'd have been told exactly where to go, shown on your map where it is. Then once you got there you'd have a cutscene doing some kind of flyby of the area while one of your companions asked how you wanted to go about getting into the place, where you'd make a decision if you want to be sneaky or not and then party members would agree or disagree but still go along with you anyway. It's that kind thing that makes me appreciate how old school the BG games are in design and makes me a bit sad that you don't see this kind of actual adventuring anymore in modern RPGs.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's such a density of stuff in the city of baldur's gate as well, by the time you find the base you've probably had 5 assassins, found the loving basilisk warehouse, pissed off 3 wizards, got poisoned and decided against taking 3 different companions because they all suck by that point.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

rumble in the bunghole posted:

There's such a density of stuff in the city of baldur's gate as well, by the time you find the base you've probably had 5 assassins, found the loving basilisk warehouse, pissed off 3 wizards, got poisoned and decided against taking 3 different companions because they all suck by that point.

It says it all that the BG1NPC Project mod lets you make Quayle, Tiax, Eldoth & Alora to locations that you can actually get to within the first hour. Granted none of them are stellar but that mod also unlocks Cloakwood early so Coran & Faldorn are accessible.

edit: Ain't nothing making Skie worth a poo poo though.

Testekill has a new favorite as of 11:06 on Jul 26, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the only good BG party is a fully player-made one with humorously out-of-place custom portraits (mine was jerkcity characters)

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the only good BG party is a fully player-made one with humorously out-of-place custom portraits (mine was jerkcity characters)

I did a play through of Pillars of Eternity with everyone as warriors/bezerkers/rangers as the guys from Predator. :black101:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

The little thing in Baldur's Gate is playing solo character and then dual classing 1/3rd into the game because you get xp meant for the whole party.

The amount of reloads is about the same.

The second option is fully voicing your own character (just name the .wavs accordingly) and all party members by people you know and are down for it. The rule is they have to fully voice that character and pick their class.

I finished BG1 with a fighter and a bard. All the bard's voicelines were the slovak version of "brave brave sir robin" or along the lines

EDIT: Even the selection lines. And he watched me play through it.

Vic has a new favorite as of 12:27 on Jul 26, 2017

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Guy Mann posted:

And kids totally make up stuff about games, if anything they're even more crazy about it than we were considering how big of a deal Creepypasta is to people that age. There are even official published books about Herobrine in Minecraft!

Counterpoint to that, though, is that they're pretty much all creepypastas. There aren't rumors about winning 1000 Title Defense matches to unlock the secret island full of Alolan Mews or whatever, just "I found this cartridge in a muddy ditch under a stall at a flea market and when I turned it on there was a save file with my name that had 6:66:66 play time and all the pokemon were blood-covered Unowns that spelled 'UR DEAD' and then a skeleton Gengar came out of my 3ds and killed me."

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

PubicMice posted:

Counterpoint to that, though, is that they're pretty much all creepypastas. There aren't rumors about winning 1000 Title Defense matches to unlock the secret island full of Alolan Mews or whatever, just "I found this cartridge in a muddy ditch under a stall at a flea market and when I turned it on there was a save file with my name that had 6:66:66 play time and all the pokemon were blood-covered Unowns that spelled 'UR DEAD' and then a skeleton Gengar came out of my 3ds and killed me."

With hyper realistic eyes. You can't forget the hyper realistic eyes!

I had some pretty weird rumors floating around school as a kid, I think my favorite non-Mew ones were if you complete the Pokedex (or something like that?) Bill would let you go into his backyard and you could catch "Pikablu" and that if you beat the game under some weird number of steps, you could fight professor Oak - and he would have Gengar and Nidorino from the intro (which I guess kind of implies he has his pokemon fight themselves like some sick gently caress?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

scarycave posted:

With hyper realistic eyes. You can't forget the hyper realistic eyes!

I had some pretty weird rumors floating around school as a kid, I think my favorite non-Mew ones were if you complete the Pokedex (or something like that?) Bill would let you go into his backyard and you could catch "Pikablu" and that if you beat the game under some weird number of steps, you could fight professor Oak - and he would have Gengar and Nidorino from the intro (which I guess kind of implies he has his pokemon fight themselves like some sick gently caress?).

Why is having your own pokemon fight more of a sick gently caress thing to do than usual fighting?