Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They are pretty crazy though, especially when they loving start threatening the actors over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm still trying to find a source on that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

And the idea of comparing Kara/Lena to some lovely Supernatural poo poo and making fun of all its fans for how deranged they are feels really condescending to me. Kara and Lena ain't incest. It ain't pedophilia. It ain't abusive. It's just two friends who totally get along and like each other a lot. Lol better watch out for those crazies who get invested in that!

So shipping is just 2 friends now? Maybe I'm not up to date with the latest tumblr definition of it

Which would make it even loving funnier since I don't think Winn was saying they won't be friends next season or the writers didn't intend for them to be friends.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BrianWilly posted:

This is a super weird thing to say. So showrunners are always right about everything 'cuz it's their show and audiences should just smile and nod politely to everything they say about it? If they say that Red Tornado has an awesome costume that looks great, should everyone just agree 'cuz they intended for it to look great? Different people come away with different impressions from story depictions and fandom isn't always seeing things eye-to-eye with showrunners. This isn't brand new information. Like, hells of tons of people shipped Clark with Lex back during Smallville as well.

And the idea of comparing Kara/Lena to some lovely Supernatural poo poo and making fun of all its fans for how deranged they are feels really condescending to me. Kara and Lena ain't incest. It ain't pedophilia. It ain't abusive. It's just two friends who totally get along and like each other a lot. Lol better watch out for those crazies who get invested in that!

I agree that comparing the Lena/Kara thing to the Wincest stuff isn't the same. If it seemed like i did that I apologize. I was just making a vaguer connection because of the CW thing. The better comparison would be like the Cas/Dean stuff. Or the hate the fans have for female love interests and the hate Mon El's actor apparently got for being Kara's love interest.

Your other part I don't agree with. "Red Tornado's costume is awesome" is an opinion, purely subjective and fans can disagree with it if the showrunners say it. "Kara and Lena aren't flirting" isn't an opinion if the showrunners say it, its the actual writing and acting. Like... lets take it away from this subject. I thought a lot of the Lena/chess stuff might have been foreshadowing a Checkmate storyline in the future. I still think its possible. But if the people behind it come out and say "No, that wasn't a thing, its not happening" I'm not going to be offended. I'm going to accept that my reading was wrong because the guys who wrote it said it was.

You can interpret things that the author didn't intend and that maybe are part of some deeper subconscious of the author or something. But like, if you're watching a murder mystery and you guess the wrong killer... you guessed the wrong killer.

The question is "was there romantic subtext with Lena and Kara." That's a yes or no question, isn't it? Either they wrote/directed/acted it that way or they didn't. If there was some unintentional subtextual context that viewers picked up on then that's the actors or something because the characters aren't actually real people to have subconscious attractions.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 25, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So shipping is just 2 friends now? Maybe I'm not up to date with the latest tumblr definition of it

Which would make it even loving funnier since I don't think Winn was saying they won't be friends next season or the writers didn't intend for them to be friends.
I meant that as far as two people who might have chemistry and that might be sweet to see get together romantically, "close supportive friends who actually like each other a lot" seems several massive tiers above "people who fight and are pit against each other all the time" or "are literally siblings" or something.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

If people want to interpret he blatantly obvious chemistry that Benoist and McGrath have as something other than friendship that's cool, and an entirely defensible reading of the two character's interactions. Less cool are the people who get militant about this poo poo, like the lady who was yelling at Kevin Smith on Twitter a couple weeks back. The show obviously doesn't choose that interpretation, and that's cool too, in no small part because Benoist and Wood have ooodles of chemistry as well.

Even more cool and good is the interaction between Mick and Kara in the Dominators crossover. :allears:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I was going to write up some big effort post here but I feel like this inevitably happens with a show that has a message like Supergirl does. That's not saying that they shouldn't go forward and do what they want because it's ultimately the story they're telling, but you're going to run into people who conflate "has a message I appreciate" with "this show supports me and as such should reflect what I think".

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

howe_sam posted:

in no small part because Benoist and Wood have ooodles of chemistry as well.

Ehhhhh.

*Middling hand motion*

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And for what its worth, I'm not saying anyone who thought there was something to Lena/Kara was crazy or anything. I never bought into but I saw what people were reacting to.

I just think its a pretty simple question and we got an answer. So if people are upset by - not the answer itself but the messenger - that's kind of weird.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's not the answer so much as the way it was framed as mockery, and the way they kept falling over themselves afterward.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I get that a bit about the "she was on Glee" thing but not the actual video. Is singing a silly song and making a joke really that disrespectful to a silly shipping thing? Am I just missing the appropriate respect due to online shipping on tumblr?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

I get that a bit about the "she was on Glee" thing but not the actual video. Is singing a silly song and making a joke really that disrespectful to a silly shipping thing? Am I just missing the appropriate respect due to online shipping on tumblr?

The song itself is both condescending on its own, but it's also followed by Benoist calling it "very brave" to take the ship down, followed by:

quote:

Wood then sarcastically added: “Sexuality is all about others’ perception of yours, right?”

Like... what purpose does that even serve? They aren't real people. This isn't hurting anyone at all.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think also the thing is that, like...were they even specifically asked about this pairing? Were they somehow being pestered to comment and confirm that Kara and Lena are totally gonna fingerbang each other? I know that sometimes happen when shippers get out of control, but in this instance it's like they were talking about something totally different and then completely made a non-sequitur interlude to call out -- or, sing out, I guess -- this one specific same-sex relationship as totally fake and never gonna happen. Is it really so hard to imagine people being bewildered and offended by that?

And like, on that note, could you imagine them doing so for any opposite-sex relationships? Kara and James aren't together anymore, was there a sidebar to emphasize how they're never ever ever ever getting together again? Winn had a brief thing for Kara that ended with a whimper...did Jeremy Jordan dedicate any stanzas to that fiasco?

TFRazorsaw posted:

Ehhhhh.

*Middling hand motion*
I think they're both fun actors that manage to make their scenes work, but the entire relationship was really transparent and forced from scene one. The show itself kept coming up with really solid, well-reasoned arguments for why Kara and Mon-El should not be together, and then it just keeps forcing that square peg into that round hole anyway (:v:) because yooouung loooove is sooooo sweeeeet or whatever.

And then you get into how Mon-El is a character who's consistently depicted as an oblivious dudebro who lies to Kara and demeans if not outright fights with her on an episodic basis and who constantly fucks up yet is given chance after second chance after third chance to be less of a bozo, and how that juuuust might not endear him to the sort of audience that's tuning in to Supergirl for its more progressive, feminist tendencies. I mean it's not as if he, y'know, slaps her or tells her women suck or anything, but he's still basically a whole lot of things they hate about a male love interest balled up into one giant manball that kept rolling through the season.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol shippers are crazy

I view writing relationship fiction and then publishing it on the internet to be absolutely pathetic. I visualize every author as someone who'd stab you for disagreeing with their story ideas.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Fan-fiction writers and fanzine creators helped create fandom as we know it today, but sure, whatever, they're all crazy people.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Everyone became so loving whiney this season, including the fans.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rhyno posted:

I view writing relationship fiction and then publishing it on the internet to be absolutely pathetic. I visualize every author as someone who'd stab you for disagreeing with their story ideas.

Eh, it can be interesting if you accept it for what it is. One of my friends is a fic-writer as a hobby, she likes to do it to play with shifting people around and putting different personalities in different shows. "If I replaced a character in this serious drama plot with Captain Jack Sparrow I think it would actually work in an interesting way not just a punchline" that sort of thing. Yeah it's dumb, but that's the fun part.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

BrianWilly posted:

I think they're both fun actors that manage to make their scenes work, but the entire relationship was really transparent and forced from scene one. The show itself kept coming up with really solid, well-reasoned arguments for why Kara and Mon-El should not be together, and then it just keeps forcing that square peg into that round hole anyway (:v:) because yooouung loooove is sooooo sweeeeet or whatever.

I binged through season 2 recently and watching the episodes in succession really highlights this. There's a 3-4 episode block where each one ends in Kara's apartment where they're either tearfully breaking up or happily reuniting and it was pretty terrible and I'm really glad he's off the show.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I'm really glad he's off the show.

Uhhhh yeah about that...

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

howe_sam posted:

Uhhhh yeah about that...

Well poo poo. I'll settle for "fewer appearances in a romance subplot than season 2" at least.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Been a while since there's been a "Kara holding ice cream and/or a savory treat" photo ITT:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
44 new posts in supergirl thread must be some crazy news.... Ohhh oh god

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In any event, it seems like a bit of a silly thing to get worked up about. Just seemed like a bit of good-natured fun-poking to me. Bit of a storm in a teacup. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 25, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Honestly, though, Kara and Lena definitely want to gently caress.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Agreed

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh totally. Over on Earth 39 (the one just to the left of Earth 38) they're already planning a cute double marriage with Alex and Maggie.
Earth 37 btw is where Kara is living in sin with Ice Cream.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Fan-fiction writers and fanzine creators helped create fandom as we know it today, but sure, whatever, they're all crazy people.

They are. That's correct.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's actually a completely harmless activity that hurts no one! Amazing.

Edit - But no seriously, any fandom activity has the capacity to turn into poo poo. None of it is inherently weird or wrong. Writing fan material is no more inherently weird or non-constructive than, say, posting on forums or buying and customizing toys. Maybe some shippers take it too far, but I've seen just as much pointless cruelty and non-constructive behavior from people who never touch doing creative stuff.

Every aspect of fandom culture has the capacity to turn into something weird, cruel, or embarrassing. Call out the stupid when it arises but there's nothing inherently wrong with people who like to write stories about Kirk and Spock kissing and whatnot.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 25, 2017

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Sorry, but humanity as a whole is diminished by tumblr brokebrains churning out Supernatural incest fanfiction

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Does CW have a bad track record with LGBT characters? Is that why people got so upset?
Even goons joke about them getting together.

I'm more concerned with them deflecting all the criticism with "shippers are crazy."

I just want a good season 3.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Soothing Vapors posted:

Sorry, but humanity as a whole is diminished by tumblr brokebrains churning out Supernatural incest fanfiction

Humanity as a whole is diminished by the use of the word "brokebrain" and other poo poo like it, so. Yeah. All things being equal and whatnot.

Lord Packinham posted:

Does CW have a bad track record with LGBT characters? Is that why people got so upset?

Well, there's poo poo like what happened with the 100, for one, and when Arrow killed Sara in season 3 they had to walk it back significantly due to the backlash.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The actress on The 100 was leaving to do Fear The Walking Dead, same as the actor who they killed off was leaving to do American Gods.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They could have still done a lot of other things than resort to the dead lesbian trope.

Like, even Rothenberg apologized for how it was handled and his own behavior regarding it, so it's not like you need to defend the show on this one.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Edit - But no seriously, any fandom activity has the capacity to turn into poo poo. None of it is inherently weird or wrong. Writing fan material is no more inherently weird or non-constructive than, say, posting on forums or buying and customizing toys. Maybe some shippers take it too far, but I've seen just as much pointless cruelty and non-constructive behavior from people who never touch doing creative stuff.

Every aspect of fandom culture has the capacity to turn into something weird, cruel, or embarrassing. Call out the stupid when it arises but there's nothing inherently wrong with people who like to write stories about Kirk and Spock kissing and whatnot.

I'm sure there's a line and the loudest and most standout portions of fandom are probably over the line especially since part of that line is the self-declaration of being part of the fandom versus merely being a fan.

Also, there's just something off-putting shipping live action characters vs. animated or drawn characters.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

Given that most creative works done by ostensible professionals can barely produce acceptable romance plots and love scenes, we hardly need more amateurs working at it. Fanfiction in general is under indictment for psychic pollution of the collective human experience.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Unless you're the 50 Shades author and your Twilight fanfiction made like a billion dollars.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

While I'm going to bow out of the general debate I do want to retain my lifelong stance that erotic/romantic fan fiction is weird.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I know there are many different perspectives on fanfiction, but there's one thing we can all agree on: Kara and Lena want to gently caress.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm sure there's a line and the loudest and most standout portions of fandom are probably over the line especially since part of that line is the self-declaration of being part of the fandom versus merely being a fan.

Also, there's just something off-putting shipping live action characters vs. animated or drawn characters.

I'm not sure why considering oneself as being part of a fandom is itself a bad thing.

But, like, a lot of the earliest fanfiction authors were women who wrote Kirk and Spock fanfiction. Those same people were a big part of what initiated Trek fan culture and helped get the show back on the air. Various Trek actors have expressed being fine with it, and actors and authors of many other works simply think it's okay for people to explore aspects of themselves or their appreciation through fan works. Mark Hamill both accepts and encourages people to interpret, write, or imagine Luke Skywalker as gay, trans, or whatever someone wants him to be.

Obviously you're going to get people who get way too invested, people who take it too far, people who tear into other fans and creators over stupid poo poo. But that's true of any primarily on-line interaction where people encounter something they don't like. People will tear each other apart over their opinions on video games, music. This is a forum where you can spend real money to vandalize someone's custom title when one gets angry about someone else's shitposting. Not really a group of people justified in sitting in judgement.

As for the Supernatural example someone else posted earlier, one thing I forgot to say - the creators and actors both of that show simultaneously fed into all of that and encouraged and pandered to it while simultaneously complaining it. That fandom was a monster of their own making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005