Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I don't think I've ever seen it, but I can see how it would make for an easier motion for flipping it over to look at the back, especially if you pull it out of a bunch of other records at a store. You can flip it over top to bottom in a smooth motion and have the back oriented the right way to read it, rather than having to flip it over side to side, if that makes any sense. Not sure if that's why they did it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

caligulamprey posted:

The two-LP Kimono reissue is still easy to come by. There was a sweet Sparks box set that came out last year that had all four of their Island releases and a bonus LP with B-sides, while Halfnelson was reissued earlier in the year, too.

But goddamn, my kingdom for a quality copy of Angst in My Pants.

Digging up an old post, but do you have any recommendation on where to start/stop with Sparks? I picked up a couple of their 70s stuff today (Propaganda, Big Beat) but wasn't sure if their 80s stuff was good or not. (The 80s stuff being Angst in My Pants, In Outer Space, and Pulling Rabbits out of a Hat)

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The Senator Giroux posted:

Digging up an old post, but do you have any recommendation on where to start/stop with Sparks?
Sparks is all over the map when it comes to styles, though it's a pretty solid consensus that the Glam Rock period is where you wanna start (Kimono/Propaganda/Indiscreet, though Indiscreet goes full tilt into Broadway territory), No. 1 in Heaven was a breakthrough album that saw them hooking up with Giorgio Moroder and going Disco. The '80s material is considered their spottiest, but I really enjoy Whomp that Sucker and adore Angst in my Pants (which sounds like the smartest songwriters trying to write the absolute dumbest loving pop songs and fully succeeding). They jumped fully into dance music by the '90s (I have to admit, not much of my bag), then went full classical with Lil Beethoven, where the repetitive lyrics make up the backbone of the album's rhythm which can come across as hypnotic mantra or pure irritation, YMMV. The albums that come after that (Hello Young Lovers and Exotic Creatures of the Deep) have the same classical elements but stretch out a little more, genre-wise. Hippopotamus comes out on September 8th, followed by a world tour.

Most definitely if you picked up and enjoyed Propaganda, buy Kimono immediately. Propaganda is awesome, but it definitely comes off as a B-Sides collection in comparison (they were released the same year). But then again any follow-up would feel that way, as Kimono My House is flawless.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I went to a thrift store I always dig through and never find anything at and scored a pristine first pressing of Husker Du's Zen Arcade and a UK first pressing of Sandinista by the Clash with the original insert and hype sticker. They cost me less than a buck a piece. So that was good.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
Download code for Psychic Temple IV:

edit: All scooped up

Don't sleep on this record if you love good sounding music. The songwriting may not be for everyone but the playing is flawless and the sound is that sweet analog 24-track sound.

1000 umbrellas fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 25, 2017

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

1000 umbrellas posted:

joyfulnoiserecordings.com/downloads - uch6-38ql

Don't sleep on this record if you love good sounding music. The songwriting may not be for everyone but the playing is flawless and the sound is that sweet analog 24-track sound.

Have you released anything lately?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

1000 umbrellas posted:

I grabbed this, but it's good for multiple downloads. I'm digging it. :cool:

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
Akira remastered OST went up for pre order at bleep.

https://bleep.com/release/87090-geinoh-yamashirogumi-akira-symphonic-suite-original-motion-picture-soundtrack

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

cosmicjim posted:

Have you released anything lately?

I made a record last year separate from my band at an all-analog studio which was a dream come true for me, but I had no luck finding a label to put it out so I just put it up on bandcamp: http://gumamug.bandcamp.com

But I also moved cross country so I'm in the process of finding new folks to play with. Thanks for asking :)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

I went to a thrift store I always dig through and never find anything at and scored a pristine first pressing of Husker Du's Zen Arcade and a UK first pressing of Sandinista by the Clash with the original insert and hype sticker. They cost me less than a buck a piece. So that was good.

I like hearing stories like this but I'm a hoarder. Good finds though.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Boomkat's got a 48-hour sale on right now.

Astroduck
Aug 30, 2006

Codes!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Snagged the latter one, thanks!

I've got a code or two around here somewhere, I'll look for them after work.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
those guerilla toss records loving own btw

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

1000 umbrellas posted:

drat, missed out on this. I have Psychic Temple I and II, and they are both excellent. I'll probably pick this up on vinyl at some point anyways.

If you're on the fence, Chris Schlarb is also responsible for this:

Ballz posted:

Posted this in the Dropsy thread the other day:

It's really, really good. If you haven't played the game, you can listen to it here and pick up a copy while they're still available.

I also have a picture of the record spinning on my turntable but you guys have made me ashamed of my setup. :saddowns:

Edit: Eh, I went ahead and got it now before it sold out. I'm going to probably have to look for Psychic Temple III on discogs though.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 24, 2017

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -