Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

What's a Cinema Display? I don't see it on the Apple website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FCKGW posted:

What's a Cinema Display? I don't see it on the Apple website.

:lol:

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Posting from my ACD30, still the best apple display in the whole word

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

inconvenient dongle escalation

I just had a flashback to 7th grade.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Late bloomer?

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Crime on a Dime posted:

My studio had to get rid of those as they aged. My understanding is that it is really 2 display panels in vertical orientation so as one burns out one side of the screen gets darker/color renders differently. Started to become a issue with color accuracy but I do still love the look of them.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shikantaza posted:

This is so inconvenient, I hate my life now

Indeed, US coins are confusing.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Crime on a Dime posted:

Yeah it's pretty poo poo even by lax standards. I was going to buy one as a second display and the display itself looks its age compared to even my loving ancient Dell U3011 which you can get on eBay for just a few bux more.

Now, if I could gut the 30" ACD and put a modern panel in it, that would be really cool.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cingulate posted:

Indeed, US coins are confusing.

Was one of the first things I googled after moving here. I just throw them in the change jar and refuse to think about them now.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

me, in my mind's eye:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

well why not posted:

me, in my mind's eye:

:worship:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That's 450 watts of pixel juice right there.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

well why not posted:

It may be inconvenient, but sacrifices must be made to serve the greater good of warning the public about the conspicuous over-consumption of energy and its impact on the environment.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Proteus Jones posted:

It may be inconvenient, but sacrifices must be made to serve the greater good of warning the public about the conspicuous over-consumption of energy and its impact on the environment.
It is a truth that you need all those big monitors to gather academic sources to fashion a powerpoint keynote presentation

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

well why not posted:

It's also probably super loving hot.

When I worked as a research programmer in college, the professor I worked for got some stupid big grant so one of the things he did was buy dual Cinema displays for his desktop and mine.

I felt like I was gonna roast to death in front of those things. Like a chicken on an upright rotisserie.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dick Nipples posted:

When I worked as a research programmer in college, the professor I worked for got some stupid big grant so one of the things he did was buy dual Cinema displays for his desktop and mine.

I'd like to know the % of Mac Pros that were purchased with grants or by academia

Seemed like every professor had one for loving email + web.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Bob Morales posted:

I'd like to know the % of Mac Pros that were purchased with grants or by academia

Ya. To be fair - my prof was an Applied Mathematician that mainly wrote Fortran and C/C++ programs to solve hard biological models. He had justification for his hardware and we had an Xserve Cluster :wiggle:

That said, a bunch of bio profs had fully tricked out Mac Pros with everything top of line - easily $10k machines and they were writing emails and papers.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dick Nipples posted:

That said, a bunch of bio profs had fully tricked out Mac Pros with everything top of line - easily $10k machines and they were writing emails and papers.

Reminds me of back in the day just before Ireland's recession of the mid 2000s where I worked in a law office and one of the junior solicitors both a fully specced Dell XPS to check his emails :gonk:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Bob Morales posted:

When I was in college over a decade ago, a TON of PowerMacs were purchased by my school (a California State University). And my favorite thing is that the building where all the business classes were had Dual G5's while the video/art department was still largely on G4's.

cowtown
Jul 4, 2007

the cow's a friend to me

Dick Nipples posted:

Ya. To be fair - my prof was an Applied Mathematician that mainly wrote Fortran and C/C++ programs to solve hard biological models. He had justification for his hardware and we had an Xserve Cluster :wiggle:

Gotta spend all the money in your grant or they'll give you less next time.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Our college computer labs all had Macs in a private room so as to not be disturbed by the dirty PC users in the proletariate area. It was literally nicer and cleaner in every way. Also loving every Mac had a hockey puck.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

well why not posted:

me, in my mind's eye:

I had one of these. I miss it so bad.

The industrial design was great. Don't know why every monitor case today has to be dumb plasticky crap.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The industrial design was great. Don't know why every monitor case today has to be dumb plasticky crap.

I would shell out serious $$$ for a big 3K or 4K monitor with glass and metal design and (just as important) a tiny bezel.

The giant-rear end black bezels are why I never bought any of the recent Cinema Displays/Thunderbolt Displays even though I loved the rest of everything about them.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GutBomb posted:

I just got back from the Apple Store and they are doing a replacement for a same or better spec MacBook Pro. Super stoked. Thanks for posting!

Quoting myself but I just got back from the Apple Store to pick up my replacement laptop. It's a 2016 Touch-bar DongleBook pro. 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 2GB Radeon Pro 455. I'm Amazed. Also the new apple keyboards are great.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What's the reasoning behind the replacement, I saw your previous posts but I'd love to know if my 2011 Air with only about 400-500 battery cycles that's been giving the Service Battery message for about 18-24 months now would be eligible under the same thing. I'm guessing no, but just in case. (I'm in the US, although it's a UK purchased machine... I could always fly back and do it under EU regulations if that would help!)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

EL BROMANCE posted:

What's the reasoning behind the replacement, I saw your previous posts but I'd love to know if my 2011 Air with only about 400-500 battery cycles that's been giving the Service Battery message for about 18-24 months now would be eligible under the same thing. I'm guessing no, but just in case. (I'm in the US, although it's a UK purchased machine... I could always fly back and do it under EU regulations if that would help!)

The 2012 MacBook Pro 15" Retina was the only model that had the battery glued to the top case (keyboard and trackpad) so they had to replace the entire top case assembly for battery replacements, and they ran out of them and don't manufacture them anymore. My guess is that since they promised basically perpetual availability for battery replacements that they have to do something, so this is what they are doing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah fair, thought it was a long shot! Good job on the upgrade though, must be stoked.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“GutBomb”" post="“474792520”"]
Also the new apple keyboards are great.
[/quote]

It’s such a good keyboard. Loud though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ugh, my poor Air has even worse battery condition than I remembered.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Mine is 60% at 132 cycles. heh

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

von Braun posted:

Mine is 60% at 132 cycles. heh

Yikes. The one apple replaced the laptop for was 75% on 777 cycles.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Also, Apple monitors turned on and off basically instantly.
Such a little thing but it was (and is, I have 2 myself) nice.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

GutBomb posted:

The 2012 MacBook Pro 15" Retina was the only model that had the battery glued to the top case (keyboard and trackpad) so they had to replace the entire top case assembly for battery replacements, and they ran out of them and don't manufacture them anymore. My guess is that since they promised basically perpetual availability for battery replacements that they have to do something, so this is what they are doing.

When you first mentioned, someone said about buying a used one off eBay. What's to stop people doing that? It's obviously not going to be an Applecare thing. There must be a fair number of 2012 15" with under 80% battery. Does it even have to be under 80% or can you just say you want a new battery whatever its state?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

That's what people on MacRumors and Reddit were doing, even bragging about, once the cat was out of the bag.

Some of the 2012 and Early 2013 rMBPs had battery issues, so Apple was willing to replace the battery for free (usually $199), even if it was out of warranty if it was under 80%. Somehow, due to 'parts constraints,' they weren't going to have stock in until September, so you were given two options, wait until September for a new battery free of charge or pay $199 out-of-pocket for a refurbished comparable machine. People got 2015/2016/2017 models with rolls of the dice.

Once this policy was widely known, people began purchasing those models for cheap and even purposefully cycled the batteries nightly just to drain them below 80% for a cheap, 'new' maxed out machine at $199. Apple put out an internal memo, obviously pissed about this and revoked the whole program, with 7/25 being the last day.

Link to Reddit Thread

Link to MacRumors

tl;dr Greedy assholes took advantage of Apple's generous policy and screwed those that needed it

I went in today, as I had mentioned my battery life dropping twice in past visits (it was demonstrated in Apple's own tests and Coconut Battery), and they agreed to a free replacement battery but didn't offer a replacement machine. I'm pleased; it saved me $200. I'm sure if I didn't have past notes detailing the problem, they probably wouldn't have made an exception though.

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 28, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

Official policy is that the macOS battery status has to indicate "service now".
I brought mine in for the free display replacement with ~600 cycles, 82% and "Good" status, asked to pay for a new battery while the machine is open and they replaced it (including topcase, keyboard and trackpad) so my laptop was essentially refurbished.

https://www.coconut-flavour.com/ccbonline/ has good data on capacity over time/loadcycles. You can also use coconut battery to keep track of your own battery.

edit: regarding that goodwill gesture of free replacement machines, I knew this would be trouble when macrumors posted the story on their frontpage. Very dumb move on their part, although I'm sure other apple centric sites posted it as well.
OTOH, having used both, I'd be quite annoyed if Apple replaced my late 2013 15" with a new 2017 15".

eames fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 28, 2017

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Battery replacement does all of that? The topcase I knew about, but I guess a new keyboard/trackpad makes sense given the nature of the replacement.

It'll give me something without goon-laden Cheeto stains all over it I suppose.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

~Coxy posted:

Also, Apple monitors turned on and off basically instantly.
Such a little thing but it was (and is, I have 2 myself) nice.

This is possibly a Steve thing. I can imagine him starting intently at a non-apple Monitor going through the splash screens / warmup stuff and just fuming.

eames
May 9, 2009

EconOutlines posted:

Battery replacement does all of that? The topcase I knew about, but I guess a new keyboard/trackpad makes sense given the nature of the replacement.

It'll give me something without goon-laden Cheeto stains all over it I suppose.

Yeah it does! You'll be pleasantly surprised how nice a new keyboard feels before the rubber domes start to wear out.
Apple charges $450 for a topcase replacement and around $200 for the battery replacement which includes the exact same parts and labor. This information might be useful for some people that ruined their keyboard/trackpad with a minor water spill. :ssh:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

EconOutlines posted:

Some of the 2012 and Early 2013 rMBPs had battery issues, so Apple was willing to replace the battery for free (usually $199), even if it was out of warranty if it was under 80%. Somehow, due to 'parts constraints,' they weren't going to have stock in until September, so you were given two options, wait until September for a new battery free of charge or pay $199 out-of-pocket for a refurbished comparable machine. People got 2015/2016/2017 models with rolls of the dice.

Once this policy was widely known, people began purchasing those models for cheap and even purposefully cycled the batteries nightly just to drain them below 80% for a cheap, 'new' maxed out machine at $199. Apple put out an internal memo, obviously pissed about this and revoked the whole program, with 7/25 being the last day.

Link to Reddit Thread

Link to MacRumors

tl;dr Greedy assholes took advantage of Apple's generous policy and screwed those that needed it

I wonder how pissed people are going to be when they get their $500 2012 MBP with a bad battery from eBay, go in and pay the $200 at the Apple store and then realize they spent $700 on a 5 year old, first-gen Apple product with a new battery when they thought they were going to get a $2200 laptop instead

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

well why not posted:

This is possibly a Steve thing. I can imagine him starting intently at a non-apple Monitor going through the splash screens / warmup stuff and just fuming.

For sure. I originally bought a PMG5 and a ACD, and bought a Dell display "with the same panel" after the fact.

The Dell was a fine screen with a good array of inputs, but took literally 10x as long to turn on. I know, because I had it side by side the ACD running from the same video card.

Luckily people started flogging their old ACDs for cheap so the Dell is in the attic and I have two the same screen (with wildly varying CCFL backlight ages/brightnesses...) side by side now.