Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Hahaha. I love Simm's Master, but I could have picked any random clip of him and posted it here in response to this.

Hahah yeah. I love him too but holy poo poo, he blows the roof off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbb56jZo0rE

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

:neckbeard:

This isn't on the Netflix version. A disgrace.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
They should do another car season like with Pertwee

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

PriorMarcus posted:

Does anyone else think it's kind of dodgy that the first female Master is also the first one to start feeling emotions and crying etc?

Plenty of people hate Steven Moffat, yes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
AVClub interviews David Warner, and there's even a bit about Big Finish!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG0CguBxx1g

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I only noticed watching that about a week ago that he is audibly singing along during that sequence.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
I have no reason not to think Jodie Whittaker won't do an excellent job, but man I wish Capaldi could've done at least one more year. Big Finish is great and all, but we were finally done with all the bullshit and he was settled into the character and fabulous. Another season of Bill would have been wonderful too.

And now I'm even going to miss John Simm! He finally gets a few scripts that aren't 100% ham and shows that his Master is every bit as dangerous and evil as the rest of them.

I get why they hit the reset button between showrunners, but there are ways that it doesn't serve the show. Sure, inheriting the previous occupant's dirty laundry is more challenging, but it isn't unfair (they did it in the old series all the time), and it lets the show grow more organically. Missy's arc had at least one more year in it, and the Doctor/Bill relationship, as well as Bill herself, deserved more time. (Nardole was great, but I imagine he'd leave before Bill.) Meanwhile, the crew behind the camera could feel out the show while the acting provided continuity. Now everyone's new and making mistakes all at once.

Oh well, water under the bridge, and like I said, Jodi Whittaker deserves to be judged on her own merits, to say nothing of Chibnall. Just seems a shame to break up the gang just as it was really starting to breathe. I hope she gets more than 1 year introduction, 1 year of "Change is coming!" and 1 year to just be the Doctor.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Still genuinely my favourite scene in the whole series.

You initially think it's awful. Then you realise the music is diegetic, and it's the Master keeping himself entertained, and just enjoying the gently caress out of having made the Doctor (and the whole world) his own personal bitch.

Then it becomes spectacular.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
is there any reason they decided to use Muse for this scene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6FqVojy25k

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Still genuinely my favourite scene in the whole series.

You initially think it's awful. Then you realise the music is diegetic, and it's the Master keeping himself entertained, and just enjoying the gently caress out of having made the Doctor (and the whole world) his own personal bitch.

Then it becomes spectacular.

Yeah, reminds me of my initial reaction to "HERE COMES THE DRONES!". I thought what the gently caress are they doing? and then I realized that the Master was actually literally blasting that music out on loudspeakers like a loving theme song for the future murder-bots he was flooding in from the end of the universe to conquer earth, which was just such a perfectly, glorious, stupid dick move for him to make :allears:

Plus he then uses the word "decimate" correctly which meant he got a lifetime pass from me :swoon:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

quote:

he then uses the word "decimate" correctly which meant he got a lifetime pass from me :swoon:

I thought it means only leaving 198 left?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought it means only leaving 198 left?

The literal definition of decimate is to destroy/kill/whatever one in ten.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I would probably describe a lot of season 3 Master as having a ridiculous and hilarious idea, pulling it off, and absolutely LOVING it. And while it's a very different tone and scale, that's also what he's doing in World Enough and Time.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
I really like the scene in End of Time part 1 where he gets captured by that guy and his daughter. I mean the episode is terrible, but the Master up to that point doesn't even know that their machine exists. So he literally sees it, comes up with a plan on the spot, goes 'gently caress it, that'll do', and then wipes out the human race, laughing like an utter maniac the whole time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's really a shame that The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe is so bad, because it has such a good beginning, with the Doctor showing the kids around the house with the lemonade faucet and everything. The moment when he gets to the stairs, grumpily discovers that whatever he did to them is broken and says "We'll have to walk up" really kills me.

e: also, I hadn't rewatched the show since seeing Black Books, so it's weird to know that both Tamsin Grieg and Bill Bailey have been in Doctor Who in roles that were kind of wasted on them. Is Dylan Moran going to show up as a Judoon or something?

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 26, 2017

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I really like the scene in End of Time part 1 where he gets captured by that guy and his daughter. I mean the episode is terrible, but the Master up to that point doesn't even know that their machine exists. So he literally sees it, comes up with a plan on the spot, goes 'gently caress it, that'll do', and then wipes out the human race, laughing like an utter maniac the whole time.

He really is just the Doctor but without any sense of morality and with the brakes completely off. Ten is constantly begging him to STOP and THINK and JUST CALM DOWN but wheeeee nah that ain't happening.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Bicyclops posted:

It's really a shame that The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe is so bad, because it has such a good beginning, with the Doctor showing the kids around the house with the lemonade faucet and everything. The moment when he gets to the stairs, grumpily discovers that whatever he did to them is broken and says "We'll have to walk up" really kills me.

e: also, I hadn't rewatched the show since seeing Black Books, so it's weird to know that both Tamsin Grieg and Bill Bailey have been in Doctor Who in roles that were kind of wasted on them. Is Dylan Moran going to show up as a Judoon or something?

The scene at the end when Madge catches up to the kids in a magical tower being kidnapped by alien trees and says "what did I tell you about opening your presents early? Something like this was bound to happen" was hilarious

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, reminds me of my initial reaction to "HERE COMES THE DRONES!".
*drums

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I always get that wrong!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

It almost works if you think he came up with the pun and worked the whole plan around it in the same way RTD basically wrote a whole plot around it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, reminds me of my initial reaction to "HERE COMES THE DRONES!". I thought what the gently caress are they doing? and then I realized that the Master was actually literally blasting that music out on loudspeakers like a loving theme song for the future murder-bots he was flooding in from the end of the universe to conquer earth, which was just such a perfectly, glorious, stupid dick move for him to make :allears:

Plus he then uses the word "decimate" correctly which meant he got a lifetime pass from me :swoon:

The modern misuse of "decimate" is one of my all-time pet peeves so yeah, Simm's Master gets a pass for using it correctly.

And don't bother trotting out the "well that's how everyone uses it now so the meaning of the word has been changed" excuse. IT'S STILL WRONG. :argh:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And don't bother trotting out the "well that's how everyone uses it now so the meaning of the word has been changed" excuse. IT'S STILL WRONG. :argh:

It's not an excuse, it's how language actually works, friend. Cheers. (<-This word means "deal with it" for some reason now, for example)

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah. Henry Higgins is the bad guy goddammit.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The modern misuse of "decimate" is one of my all-time pet peeves so yeah, Simm's Master gets a pass for using it correctly.

Irregardless, such prescriptivist notion of language is literally the worst thing ever. Decimate your account.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

AVClub interviews David Warner, and there's even a bit about Big Finish!

This is just a great interview in general, especially the comment on Mick Jagger!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

toanoradian posted:

Irregardless, such prescriptivist notion of language is literally the worst thing ever. Decimate your account.

DECIMATE THIS!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Everyone is allowed to have their pet peeve about the evolution of language (mine is "itching" to describe "scatching"), but you must admit that it is your problem, and your pedantic correction of people who use it "incorrectly," is your problem and not theirs.

That being said, it's fun being an etymology nerd sometimes and delighting when someone uses a word in its original "correct" context, that's cool, and good, and pure.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

SleepCousinDeath posted:

is there any reason they decided to use Muse for this scene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6FqVojy25k

I'm guessing quid pro quo for Muse's 'Uprising'.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

It's not an excuse, it's how language actually works, friend. Cheers. (<-This word means "deal with it" for some reason now, for example)

I refuse to accept this. It doesn't even sound right, just use "devastated" or "destroyed"!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

pgroce posted:

I have no reason not to think Jodie Whittaker won't do an excellent job, but man I wish Capaldi could've done at least one more year. Big Finish is great and all, but we were finally done with all the bullshit and he was settled into the character and fabulous. Another season of Bill would have been wonderful too.

And now I'm even going to miss John Simm! He finally gets a few scripts that aren't 100% ham and shows that his Master is every bit as dangerous and evil as the rest of them.

I get why they hit the reset button between showrunners, but there are ways that it doesn't serve the show. Sure, inheriting the previous occupant's dirty laundry is more challenging, but it isn't unfair (they did it in the old series all the time), and it lets the show grow more organically. Missy's arc had at least one more year in it, and the Doctor/Bill relationship, as well as Bill herself, deserved more time. (Nardole was great, but I imagine he'd leave before Bill.) Meanwhile, the crew behind the camera could feel out the show while the acting provided continuity. Now everyone's new and making mistakes all at once.

Oh well, water under the bridge, and like I said, Jodi Whittaker deserves to be judged on her own merits, to say nothing of Chibnall. Just seems a shame to break up the gang just as it was really starting to breathe. I hope she gets more than 1 year introduction, 1 year of "Change is coming!" and 1 year to just be the Doctor.

The less they keep from Steven "Spoilers" Moffat the better. Fuckin hack writer idiots should go away forever

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I refuse to accept this. It doesn't even sound right, just use "devastated" or "destroyed"!

Or go hog wild and combine scientific units lower than deci. Use "nanomated"! Micromated. Yoctomated?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

jivjov posted:

The literal definition of decimate is to destroy/kill/whatever one in ten.

The X-men comics had bad science/english?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

The X-men comics had bad science/english?

Nope, if you have power over magnetism you also have animal magnetism, allowing you to hypnotize people!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Nope, if you have power over magnetism you also have animal magnetism, allowing you to hypnotize people!

And you can turn anyone into a lady magnet!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Also if someone has a grip like iron you can defeat them.

Much like the Angels' true ability is to change their rules every episode, Magneto actually has power over similes and metaphors.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I liked Sound of Drums popping up because I really liked that Rogue Traders album when it first came out and it was neat having an Australian group's music playing in the show.

Also Classic Doctors, New Monsters 2 is up for download. I'm pretty excited for it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

Also Classic Doctors, New Monsters 2 is up for download. I'm pretty excited for it.

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I'll have to get it when I get paid on Friday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cojawfee posted:

I never understood why he had a super jump ability.

It turns out everyone from Gallifrey has super jump ability because they evolved from tree frogs. Nobody else uses it because it's undignified.

• Locked thread