Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Panfilo posted:

OS slapfights aside, are there any startups that actually emphasize being labor friendly? Why is it so hard for companies to see that when employees are well compensated (and I'm not talking ball pits and beer fridges, but actual compensation+benefits) people stick around?

plenty. i used to work for a startup that had a lot of stereotypical bad policies instituted by the company's founder but when he got funding and a board was instituted who appoited a new CEO, pretty much every policy was rolled back from company phones and the expectation of afterhours work to arcane bonus structures being replaced by higher salaries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Startups don't want people to stick around. They want employees who will work insanely hard for a few years, then quit due to burnout before having to actually use things like medical and paternity leave. If they can continue to attract well qualified replacements then they can continue this cycle indefinitely.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Panfilo posted:

OS slapfights aside, are there any startups that actually emphasize being labor friendly? Why is it so hard for companies to see that when employees are well compensated (and I'm not talking ball pits and beer fridges, but actual compensation+benefits) people stick around?

Granted, I work for the government, but I can honestly say I have a large number of coworkers that have been here 30+ years that like their jobs and are happy. I feel like the easiest way to get loyalty from an employee is to foster an environment that allows them to stick around for decades, but tech companies take such a mercenary attitude about things.

VC doesn't work unless you try to get maniacal growth in there somewhere
However, there's quite a few startups that pay gangbusters. 6 figgies, the figgies don't start with a 1, that sort of thing

There's no such thing as a significant pay rise anywhere anymore, so you have to be mercenary about it. Routine to hear of people sticking around for 5 years at places and getting $0 pay rise

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Panfilo posted:

Granted, I work for the government, but I can honestly say I have a large number of coworkers that have been here 30+ years that like their jobs and are happy. I feel like the easiest way to get loyalty from an employee is to foster an environment that allows them to stick around for decades, but tech companies take such a mercenary attitude about things.

Because there is no place on the balance sheet for happiness. It's hard enough the accountants to show the benefits of low turnover. And if it isn't on the balance sheet it doesn't exist to Wall Street.

A few months ago American airlines gave their pilots a decent wage, their pilots wages were behind the other major carriers and American wanted to avoid a standoff, which was sure to happen, when the contract was up. Wall Street analysts poo poo a brick.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/money...ysts/100999690/

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

PotatoJudge posted:

Because there is no place on the balance sheet for happiness. It's hard enough the accountants to show the benefits of low turnover. And if it isn't on the balance sheet it doesn't exist to Wall Street.

A few months ago American airlines gave their pilots a decent wage, their pilots wages were behind the other major carriers and American wanted to avoid a standoff, which was sure to happen, when the contract was up. Wall Street analysts poo poo a brick.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/money...ysts/100999690/

From the article:

Kevin Crissey posted:

“This is frustrating. Labor is being paid first … again. Shareholders get leftovers,” wrote Citi analyst Kevin Crissey in a note to clients.

gently caress Wall Street.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

curufinor posted:

VC doesn't work unless you try to get maniacal growth in there somewhere
However, there's quite a few startups that pay gangbusters. 6 figgies, the figgies don't start with a 1, that sort of thing

There's no such thing as a significant pay rise anywhere anymore, so you have to be mercenary about it. Routine to hear of people sticking around for 5 years at places and getting $0 pay rise

And as soon as they move to another company they can get 20% or more on top of their current salaries.

I myself worked for a company in Fort Lauderdale, FL for 7 years and was making $32k/yr. It was in the housing industry so we saw zero increases during the GFC, and very small raises before that. I jumped ship, moved to NC and literally tripled my base salary.

You have to move around to get appreciable increases now.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Panfilo posted:

Few tech companies are started with the intention of lasting 30+ years. Most of them want to grow fast and sell to a bigger company.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

SimonCat posted:

From the article:

uh, you don't think it's unfair that the people who invested all the value in the company and see the least of that value come their way have to wait while some snot nosed punk gets more money? wall street waited very patiently for more dividends. how would you feel if you did the hard work of investing just for some little kid with a 2.0 GPA GED to get your money in the form of a couple of extra dollars an hour huh?!

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Because Google is a company that does exactly one thing well.

the web?

anonumos posted:

You have to move around to get appreciable increases now.

Maybe this is true at startups or outside of tech hubs, but I know that most of the big tech companies (Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook, Google) have well defined career paths that can greatly increase your compensation over time.

Evil Robot fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 26, 2017

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
google does one thing well and it therefore takes like 0.5% of all revenue for anything and everything ever
it's not a little one thing, it's a pretty loving huge one thing

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Evil Robot posted:

the web?

Maybe this is true at startups or outside of tech hubs, but I know that most of the big tech companies (Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook, Google) have well defined career paths that can greatly increase your compensation over time.

Those 5 know that they'll lose employees to each other unless they pay up. I know at least 2 of those 5 do out-of-cycle raises if somebody is at risk of getting a big raise by moving to another.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Evil Robot posted:

deffo true for startupland, less for big tech places
however, the big tech places will have you out on your rear end pretty quick if needed, and they also get 0 employee loyalty and give 0 loyalty in turn, even as people get 500k, 1million, 2million salaries
people (the big corpers) pressed the defect button on repeated prisoner's dilemma waaay too often, so it has to be this way

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Search on the web. Yes, massively important, but they're pretty shite at everything else they've tried. GSuite's a nightmare for a lot of businesses, GMail isn't anything special, they bought youtube because google video was balls, and how many projects have they launched and then cancelled after people started using them heavily? A dozen or so? Plus they're scummy as hell re: hello google, skimming your email for targeted ads, etc.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

SimonCat posted:

From the article:

I had the exact same reaction to that quote. Shameless.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

SimonCat posted:

From the article:

:thermidor:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Travis Kalanick Hires Former U.S. Attorney Haag as Lawyer

quote:

Haag held her post as Northern California’s top prosecutor from 2010 to 2015 under President Barack Obama, leading one of the largest regional outposts of the Justice Department and one of the most active in white-collar prosecutions. The other attorney Kalanick retained from the San Francisco-based law firm, Walt Brown, also specializes in corporate criminal defense. Orrick confirmed the hiring while declining to comment further.

Sure is a whole lot of prepping for criminal defense in this civil trial.

:thunk:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Doggles posted:

Travis Kalanick getting strung up like Ross Ulbricht would be a sight to behold :munch:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Doggles posted:

did anyone, including uber's investors, not see this coming? if you design your business around flagrantly breaking the law, you're eventually gonna step on someone's toes who can actually bring the law to bear against you

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Search on the web. Yes, massively important, but they're pretty shite at everything else they've tried. GSuite's a nightmare for a lot of businesses, GMail isn't anything special, they bought youtube because google video was balls, and how many projects have they launched and then cancelled after people started using them heavily? A dozen or so? Plus they're scummy as hell re: hello google, skimming your email for targeted ads, etc.

Google has 7 products with over 1 billion users. That speaks volumes more than your personal anger about their products.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Uh, Gmail is great, YouTube was an independent company for about 18 months before being bought over 11 years ago so most of it's stuff from Google. Also, I can't believe you missed their primary business model: ads.

Also there's nothing scummy about hello google, or the email you're looking at on a free email service having ads show up next to it vaguely related to the content. How exactly do you expect to get a free service in the first place, really?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Because Google is a company that does exactly one thing well.
Really? We're going back there to do some more laps on this?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Noggin Monkey posted:

I had the exact same reaction to that quote. Shameless.

Amusingly it is also how it is supposed to work. The difference between earnings and expenditures goes to stockholder equity. Aka they get the "scraps".

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

call to action posted:

I mean, it's kind of a scale thing, right?

Yeah you're definitely on the scale all right.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/25/business/media/lyft-taco-bell.html

Capitalism...good?

quote:

Taco Bell has, quite literally, found a new marketing vehicle, and its name is Lyft.

The fast-food chain is beginning a venture with the ride-sharing company this week that will allow Lyft passengers to request rides that incorporate a stop at a Taco Bell drive-through between 9 p.m. and 2 a.m.

The companies will test the option, which will appear as “Taco Mode” in the Lyft app, during the next two weeks around a Newport Beach, Calif., location, with plans to expand the program nationally next year.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^
TBF, this gives them a real argument that they will reduce the DUI (mostly weed and alcohol) numbers on a regular basis.

Panfilo posted:

There is a local uber eats/postmates type business that actually employees their employees and provide cars. I'm sure they'll fail soon.
They're no more expensive than uber eats, so they're the natural choice if you don't hate people.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

this is an awesome idea and i only hope that it expands to fast food restaurants that I actually eat at.

like, when I was in california earlier this year and took a Lyft I really wanted to stop at In-n-Out but i thought it would be an imposition so I didn't, and then I didn't eat In-n-Out while I was there and it was very sad.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Condiv posted:

did anyone, including uber's investors, not see this coming? if you design your business around flagrantly breaking the law, you're eventually gonna step on someone's toes who can actually bring the law to bear against you

well, or get elected president.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

DC Murderverse posted:

this is an awesome idea and i only hope that it expands to fast food restaurants that I actually eat at.

like, when I was in california earlier this year and took a Lyft I really wanted to stop at In-n-Out but i thought it would be an imposition so I didn't, and then I didn't eat In-n-Out while I was there and it was very sad.

FWIW, you can generally request any route you want, just be prepared for additional charges and to tip a few bucks.

Also yeah, agreed that it's an awesome idea. Regardless of what you think about the food quality at Taco Bell, they've always been a pretty innovative company.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
There's a reason Taco Bell won the franchise wars.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Gmail is great, Chrome is the #1 browser in the world, keeping Youtube the best is very much non-trivial, Android was nothing but a prototype when Google bought it, the Pixel is a great phone, there's also Drive, Photos, Maps, Earth.

And of course more minor but useful services like Translate, Flights, News, Recaptcha, and all the random libraries and frameworks Google owns like Tensorflow, Angular, Bazel, Kubernetes, etc. Oh and the machine learning expertise/researchy stuff like Google Brain and Deepmind.

Obviously I'm super biased because I work for Google, but I used their stuff before I started working here and probably will continue after because there's plenty of good things there.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I miss Google's theatre listings. I could get the theatre listings sorted by theatre rather than by movie, and that seems to be hard for some reason.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Ratoslov posted:

I miss Google's theatre listings. I could get the theatre listings sorted by theatre rather than by movie, and that seems to be hard for some reason.

Google's customers probably preferred it be organized by movie, so that's what Google's product is going to get.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

You can still see the listings of just a particular theater though, I just google the theater name and the results pop up in search.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

divabot posted:

It's not as cool as driving a GENUINE SIGNED BY ELON TESLA MODEL ELON, but since some here expressed an interest - my blockchain book is finally out, for £4.99 or whatever strange money you Americans use sent as Initial Book Offerings to the Kindlechain!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073CPP581 - available worldwide
https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/ - book home page

that's non-DRMed Kindle edition; print edition coming (just finalised the cover), Smashwords too when I get around to it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lol I told you to buy a banner ad

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Avenging_Mikon posted:

This hipster poo poo is so tiring. As an advertiser I'm continually frustrated by how limiting Google is to me - I can target far more in far creepier ways with Yahoo/Oath or Bing than I can with Google. GMail is the most popular email service in the world, YouTube is the most popular video service in the world, and their natural language voice processing technology is arguably paralleled only by Amazon. Maps is ridiculously good. There's plenty wrong with Google, but bringing up two of their biggest successes in a list of failures is pretty loving weird. If you run a business, you advertise with Google because it scales and it's profitable, period.

Kobayashi posted:

Yeah you're definitely on the scale all right.

Is this supposed to be some sort of gay slur?

call to action fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 27, 2017

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Twerk from Home posted:

Those 5 know that they'll lose employees to each other unless they pay up. I know at least 2 of those 5 do out-of-cycle raises if somebody is at risk of getting a big raise by moving to another.

Which is why they colluded not to hire each other's employees away.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Cicero posted:

Gmail is great, Chrome is the #1 browser in the world, keeping Youtube the best is very much non-trivial, Android was nothing but a prototype when Google bought it, the Pixel is a great phone, there's also Drive, Photos, Maps, Earth.

And of course more minor but useful services like Translate, Flights, News, Recaptcha, and all the random libraries and frameworks Google owns like Tensorflow, Angular, Bazel, Kubernetes, etc. Oh and the machine learning expertise/researchy stuff like Google Brain and Deepmind.

Obviously I'm super biased because I work for Google, but I used their stuff before I started working here and probably will continue after because there's plenty of good things there.

gently caress Google.

ETA: Also, gently caress Apple, Microsoft, and Facebook. Just so people don't think I'm playing favourites.

Bunni-kat fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 27, 2017

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

You forgot Amazon there, friend! Now home to the richest man in th world.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cicero posted:

You forgot Amazon there, friend! Now home to the richest man in th world.

Well it's Bill Gates' fault he prioritizes donating money to charities (however well or poorly run) over remaining the richest corporate overlord on the planet :agesilaus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
washington poooooost