Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Haha, nope...

PostNouveau posted:

No, I'm not.

He's the focus of "Kill Gill Vol. 1 & 2" which was a Christmas episode about how the Simpsons take him in out of pity and then he takes advantage of them for a whole year. It was pretty good.

He's Homer and Marge's lawyer in the one where they're accused of murder and when he helps Marge in a campaign against sugar.

drat. Okay I stand corrected. I haven't watched the show since 2006.

They did the same premises with Lionel Hutz back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

No, I'm not.

He's the focus of "Kill Gill Vol. 1 & 2" which was a Christmas episode about how the Simpsons take him in out of pity and then he takes advantage of them for a whole year. It was pretty good.

oh lol this is some season 18 poo poo no wonder I was confused

yeah I was thinking of the actual early days, Gil was never the focus of anything and I don' remember him being the Simpsons lawyer either, he'd just show up for a bit in a bar or salesroom every once in a while

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Serious question. "Zombie Simpsons" explanation aside, does anybody know what the production background of the Gil episodes were? Did millennial Harvard graduate writers decide to pay an homage to Lionel Hutz/Phil Hartman? Or was this one of those random grabs of an established ancillary character? Not having seen the episodes it feels exactly like a Lionel Hutz plot.

Ain't ever gonna see the episodes, but whose idea was it to take in Gil? Was it Marge? I bet it was Marge, but I could see Homer doing it... Lisa too...

... especially Lisa.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
the current writers probably don't know who Phil Hartman was

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Bart spends time with Principal Skinner's mother, Agnes. Meanwhile, Homer and Lisa get addicted to Peekimon Get.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Backweb posted:

Serious question. "Zombie Simpsons" explanation aside, does anybody know what the production background of the Gil episodes were? Did millennial Harvard graduate writers decide to pay an homage to Lionel Hutz/Phil Hartman? Or was this one of those random grabs of an established ancillary character? Not having seen the episodes it feels exactly like a Lionel Hutz plot.

Ain't ever gonna see the episodes, but whose idea was it to take in Gil? Was it Marge? I bet it was Marge, but I could see Homer doing it... Lisa too...

According to wikipedia, Marge lets him in. We've already seen them take in Otto out of pity and kick him out, but this time is different because Homer is too busy dealing with the Grinch for an entire year to do anything. Marge, the ex-cop who easily befriended murderers in jail and doomed three nerds to homelessness rather than put up with them in the house, is unable to assert herself over the complete pushover character.

That doesn't make any sense but when you've got a couple million guys like this, why bother making a show good? I mean, what would you have to gain?

codo27 posted:

quote:

What? They've given you thousands of hours of entertainment for free.

okay there will be a 50 or 100 disc set and it'll be $499 or something and I will buy it and hate myself for it

SEX BURRITO posted:

Bart spends time with Principal Skinner's mother, Agnes. Meanwhile, Homer and Lisa get addicted to Peekimon Get.

edit: Lol

quote:

The scene of Bart saying "taking the piss" repeatedly was originally supposed to be Bart just saying "piss" repeatedly. However, censors told the producers that Bart had to say the full line "taking the piss" instead.[3]

Bart: Hory poo poo! Pissss.

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 26, 2017

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bart, get out. I'm piss.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

homer's mouth slowly turning into a smile when bart reveals his card is my favorite bit of animation. it always slays me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn5HARPU-_I

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Groovelord Neato posted:

homer's mouth slowly turning into a smile when bart reveals his card is my favorite bit of animation. it always slays me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn5HARPU-_I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpR1yNytFn0

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Oh my god

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lmfao

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sure it's been said before but it still amazes me how pastiches of old Simpsons jokes is funnier than anything the Simpsons has done in the past 15 years

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

that was loving amazing

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Oh my god. I legit do not know which was my favourite. Absolute pro click:golfclap:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I'm so glad to learn today that so many people appreciated that little moment as much as me.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's amazing how internet meme creators manage to make both the simpsons and spongebob squarepants consistently funny long after both of them have gotten terrible

Cobweb Heart posted:

but he also did another appearance as hank scorpio for a cameo in the classic Simpsons episode, 500 Keys, where the family find a mysterious pile of 500 keys
500 keys sounds like a title and a plot for an adventure time episode, not a simpsons episode. i'm all for a fart joke here and there, but basing an entire episode off of a farting train just isn't funny

PostNouveau posted:

He's sometimes the Simpsons' lawyer
ugh, don't remind me. i forgot which episode i first saw gil stand in for lionel hutz after hartman's death, but even back then i felt that a part of the simpsons died that day

codo27 posted:

There was a point, I dunno, around season 26 or 27? That I jumped back onboard and actually found a few episodes pretty good. Obviously nothing will ever touch the glory days but mainly I just wish they'd end it so they could release a whole box set cause I hate buying loose seasons of anything or incomplete movie sets or whatever.
you can stream every episode ever on the FX(X) website if you have a cable subscription

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

SEX BURRITO posted:

Godaaaaaamn that's some bad poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc5gSQxcqgk

Whatev fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 27, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i hate that the fake-sounding episode descriptions in this thread are 100% real

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Whatev posted:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

i'm dying

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I watched Simpsons for way longer than nesessary and got to about season 19. Pretty sure it was the last aired season at the time, too. I was young so I didn't care that much (also the fact that I was watching it with a pretty bad russian dub might've been the case, since they mangle half the jokes and delivery anyway), but the aformentioned Gil episode was the first time I got really loving annoyed with a joke. I think somewhere in the episode Marge gets all angry, so she yells out how she just wants to say "no" to somebody. Homer comes in and asks her if she wants $100, so she yells out "NO!" and he burns the money.
Like what the gently caress.

SEX BURRITO posted:

Also holy poo poo, really wouldn't though it would be real, but it sure loving is, was aired only a few month ago and has Big Bang Theory couch gag.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

King Homer voice: Outstanding

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vookatos posted:

Also holy poo poo, really wouldn't though it would be real, but it sure loving is, was aired only a few month ago and has Big Bang Theory couch gag.

:barf: I can't comprehend how anyone finds that show funny

:same:

EDIT:
This popped up in my suggested videos, and I think it is a good representation of why The Principal and the Pauper is when The Golden years ended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-TS-92KVDA

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 27, 2017

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Whatev posted:

I'm ready.. I'm ready to leave now

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
The Pokemon go bit would have been semi-cute without the annoying song

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know this joke gets overused but both of the voice actors singing actually sound like they're terrified and being held at gunpoint to sing that song

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Did lisa's voice actor change? She sounds waaaayyyy different than I remember.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
it's the same actor she's just 30 years older

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Jesus they've been at it for almost 30 years, is there a deadpool for the next va to kick it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ein cooler Typ posted:

it's the same actor she's just 30 years older

Hell not by much if you've ever seen The Legend of Billie Jean

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
you could probably end world hunger with all the money this abomination has made off loving retards who dont know when to let something go

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/tubatron/status/890690925319475202

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Jesus they've been at it for almost 30 years, is there a deadpool for the next va to kick it
it blows my mind how it's been almost 30 years and none of the six main voice actors is dead yet. phil hartman, the woman who voiced lunchlady doris, and the woman who voiced mrs. krabappel were all guest voices

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

get that OUT of my face posted:

it blows my mind how it's been almost 30 years and none of the six main voice actors is dead yet. phil hartman, the woman who voiced lunchlady doris, and the woman who voiced mrs. krabappel were all guest voices

HA!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

they advertised the fuuuuuuuuuck out of this scene, which was never that funny to begin with, and then by the time i saw the movie the bit was both unfunny AND overplayed. so much cringe.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

get that OUT of my face posted:

I remember they retired Lunchlady Doris out of respect for her actor's death, much like Hutz and McClure after Phil Hartman died.

Then they brought her back, ten years later... why? It just came across as 'eeeehhhhhhhh, who gives a poo poo about respectful little nods to deceased cast members, bring back this particular tertiary character!'

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The voice actors sound ok and pretty much the same to me other than Marge and all of Harry Shearer's characters since he clearly hasn't cared for 20 years. Marge's voice actress sounds like she's killing her poor vocal cords.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Meanwhile the greatest moment in Simpsons history is the scene in Homer badman where they watch television and gentle Ben attacks the audience while Kent Brockman hoists up a bill to make TV polls legally binding.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Yeah of the main cast I definitely think it'll be Kavner who bites it first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

YeahTubaMike posted:

they advertised the fuuuuuuuuuck out of this scene, which was never that funny to begin with, and then by the time i saw the movie the bit was both unfunny AND overplayed. so much cringe.

It's retarded monkey cheese humor but family guy made gazillions off of that sooo