Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Vic posted:

The second option is fully voicing your own character

God, you just reminded me of the cringe inducing sound pack me and my mate made for Worms 2 back in the day. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Playing as a villain but not being a full-on snidely whiplash bastard was awesome, and it was great when the DLC and main game intersected. Dishonered and the DLC was like two halves of a whole story. Not to say it was like they held a bunch of content behind to make you buy DLC, but rather that the DLC added to the original story in a way that was totally worth the 15 bucks.

Completely agree,they gave you enough wiggle room that it made sense for daud to be an evil turd who's going off the rails or a killer who made a mistake and is trying to atone in a way.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The only thing that bugs me with that is you can't reconcile low chaos Corvo with high chaos Daud or vice versa.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So the new weapon for Nioh is Tonfa. They're a lot of fun to use, but the best thing is that one of the boss weapons you can use is tonfa with cannons strapped onto the thing. As in literal, actual cannons complete with fuses that are lit to fire them mid-combo. :allears:

poptart_fairy has a new favorite as of 15:44 on Jul 26, 2017

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Pyre: when you check out your wagon, there are cobwebs you can remove and candles you can snuff out when clicking around on the scenery.

Also, unfamiliar terms get highlighted and accompanied by a tool tip on mouseover.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Drunken Baker posted:

God, you just reminded me of the cringe inducing sound pack me and my mate made for Worms 2 back in the day. :negative:

The DS Starfox game wasn't good but it had a feature where you could record yourself talking and it would scramble it so that the gibberish the pilots talk was in your voice. I wish more DS games did goofy fun things like that with the mic instead of making you blow into it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

graybook posted:

Pyre: when you check out your wagon, there are cobwebs you can remove and candles you can snuff out when clicking around on the scenery.

Also, unfamiliar terms get highlighted and accompanied by a tool tip on mouseover.

Pyre needs credit for being completely loving mental. Choose your own adventure based party RPG where you travel around in an imp powered wagon engaging in the ancient forbidden mystical rite of basketball.

What the hell supergiant?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

poptart_fairy posted:

So the new weapon for Nioh is Tonfa. They're a lot of fun to use, but the best thing is that one of the boss weapons you can use is tonfa with cannons strapped onto the thing. As in literal, actual cannons complete with fuses that are lit to fire them mid-combo. :allears:

Oh gently caress!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Until Dawn is a pretty great game imo. And there's this scene early on when all the kids end up into a huge argument that eventually breaks into their own personal arguments.

When Emily and Matt start arguing there's just one line delivered so perfect by Matt. Just an exasperated "why do you hate my jacket?" The tube and delivery just make it so clear that the jacket had been the subject of many arguments between them and it always try a chuckle out of me

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Guy Mann posted:

The DS Starfox game wasn't good but it had a feature where you could record yourself talking and it would scramble it so that the gibberish the pilots talk was in your voice. I wish more DS games did goofy fun things like that with the mic instead of making you blow into it.

Chatot in Diamond/Pearl could record your voice through "Chatter" if you talked into the mic too - and apparently the volume of your voice would increase the attacks chance of confusing a target when it hits. The attack no longer works like that unfortunately.
Also killing the Pol's voice in Phantom Hourglass by yelling into your mic is one of the best parts of that game.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

scarycave posted:

Chatot in Diamond/Pearl could record your voice through "Chatter" if you talked into the mic too - and apparently the volume of your voice would increase the attacks chance of confusing a target when it hits. The attack no longer works like that unfortunately.
Also killing the Pol's voice in Phantom Hourglass by yelling into your mic is one of the best parts of that game.

This was a thing way back in the original Zelda, but unfortunately only on the japanese version. The Famicom had built in controllers, one of which had a little microphone than you shouted into to kill Pol's voice way back then. In the western release there wasn't a microphone, so they just made them killable the regular way.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ride The Gravitron posted:

When Emily and Matt start arguing there's just one line delivered so perfect by Matt. Just an exasperated "why do you hate my jacket?" The tube and delivery just make it so clear that the jacket had been the subject of many arguments between them and it always try a chuckle out of me

I consider a perfect run off that game to be everyone except Emily living, because I always shoot her in her face .

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Slime posted:

This was a thing way back in the original Zelda, but unfortunately only on the japanese version. The Famicom had built in controllers, one of which had a little microphone than you shouted into to kill Pol's voice way back then. In the western release there wasn't a microphone, so they just made them killable the regular way.

I liked how the instruction manual (which was probably translated by a different dude who didnt know) still said they "hated loud noises" which in the context of the US version makes no sense.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

RagnarokAngel posted:

I liked how the instruction manual (which was probably translated by a different dude who didnt know) still said they "hated loud noises" which in the context of the US version makes no sense.

I guess that's why I remember trying to kill it with bombs. I have no idea if I was successful.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Aleph Null posted:

I guess that's why I remember trying to kill it with bombs. I have no idea if I was successful.

If I remember right, the flute worked on them as well, but I haven't played the game in years.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

RaspberryCommie posted:

If I remember right, the flute worked on them as well, but I haven't played the game in years.

It did not. In some sequels, like the oracle games, it did, but not the original.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Sometimes I watch videos of people playing games that they consider bad but I'm instead just thinking "Actually that game looks kinda fun..." enough to hunt it down and play it myself, like when MoominBiscuit and SuperGraffiti showed off Dog's Life and Pitfall: The Lost Expedition on their bargain bin games thread, both games I have since beaten myself, one of which I LPed. Am I the only one who does that? I'm actually curious about the Crash Test Dummy game that Lime Popsicle and BillyMC played on that one retsupurae video although I haven't got around to it yet, but it looked kinda fun and dynamic if you knew what you were doing.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BioEnchanted posted:

Sometimes I watch videos of people playing games that they consider bad but I'm instead just thinking "Actually that game looks kinda fun..." enough to hunt it down and play it myself, like when MoominBiscuit and SuperGraffiti showed off Dog's Life and Pitfall: The Lost Expedition on their bargain bin games thread, both games I have since beaten myself, one of which I LPed. Am I the only one who does that? I'm actually curious about the Crash Test Dummy game that Lime Popsicle and BillyMC played on that one retsupurae video although I haven't got around to it yet, but it looked kinda fun and dynamic if you knew what you were doing.

Not quite the same thing, but I remember watching the fairly unflattering Zero Punctuation review of Alpha Protocol and thinking "I have to play that game."

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I don't regret buying Jaws Unleashed a bit. To this day I reminisce about tossing some swimming a million feet into the air and having them explode on the skybox.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Push El Burrito posted:

I don't regret buying Jaws Unleashed a bit. To this day I reminisce about tossing some swimming a million feet into the air and having them explode on the skybox.

Jaws unleashed is one of the few games to cause me motion sickness.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also not quite the same thing, but I have an almost pathological need to stand up for commonly derided games. Part of it is that I just like exploring weird, interesting failures, but also SA being SA I like to throw a curveball amidst the usual deluge of over-exaggerated bile that a lot of them get.

For instance, I have a lot of things to say about Watchdogs 1.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

BioEnchanted posted:

I ended up playing the original Friday the 13th for this exact reason (and partially because the 2017 game reminded me the NES one existed) and once I read that Jason has a set pattern and that items weren't random, I sorta fell in love with it.

It's not a GOOD game by any stretch of the word, but it's a lot of fun and honestly sorta impressive considering Jason has an actual logic and you can chess-master his movements. You can also lay traps for him since if you have a fast character with a torch/some healing items attacked in a cabin, you can leave the cabin immediately and seal Jason's coffin by chasing him down and abusing mercy invincibility :v:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The Nightmare on Elm Street game for the NES is actually kind of fun, to branch off of what Danaru said. You can transform into the different Dream Warriors, including a ninja, and gain different abilities, including a better attack and better jump, there were a fair amount of levels and I think you could play with three people at once.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

John Murdoch posted:

Also not quite the same thing, but I have an almost pathological need to stand up for commonly derided games. Part of it is that I just like exploring weird, interesting failures, but also SA being SA I like to throw a curveball amidst the usual deluge of over-exaggerated bile that a lot of them get.

What are the little things holding it up?

fe for content : BT-7274's aim. Also the enemy chatter regarding that one facility and the unique things you do there.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

graybook posted:

Super Robot Wars V did something similar which is cool. See, the game's plot is basically just a giant robot anime crossover and when they reference plot points or characters that don't directly show up in the game there's an option to highlight it and get a little description of what happened. So you have some context about why everyone's so mad about this guy that never shows up because he's dead.

RagnarokAngel posted:

You could play the flute to kill them.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Nuebot posted:

You could play the flute to kill them.

Not in the first game. They gave them vulnerability to arrows for some reason instead, even if the flute made sense it didnt work.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Polyseme posted:

What are the little things holding it up?

To be honest, it's not little things holding it up. There's huge tonal clashes where half the game is about Aidan Pearce being a creepy rear end in a top hat and the player helping him to do creepy rear end in a top hat things, and the other half is about happily buying into the whole thing and being hacker Batman and getting up to wacky hacker shenanigans. People hate the first half because Aidan is an unlikeable shithead, and also hate the second half for not gelling with the first half and also because MEEEEEMES (edit: oh and also Ubisoft pushing his Iconic Cap). On the other hand, while I was certainly disgusted by Aidan and his methods, I counted that as a positive. I was into the fact that I was playing as a completely broken, loathsome pile of poo poo. (Obviously I'm less a fan of the parts where he's treated like a cool Batman figure.)

A good example of how the game swings back and forth is the profiling system. There are three things you get out of the database pulls you get on random NPCs:
1) Bad Guys are ALWAYS tagged as puppy kickers or convicted pedophiles and it's dumb.
2) Something completely random and goofy pops up like "sexually attracted to musical instruments".
3) Largely benign information that makes me feel creepy for snooping like it's any of my goddamn business.

Nearly every part of the game vacillates like that. Peep on the president of the fedora club getting mad at the fedora store because his fedora shipment is late, dohoho. :xd: Peep on grandma, motionless legs sticking out from behind the furniture, as the answering machine picks up her family calling to announce their surprise visit. :smith: Peep on poor people in a messy apartment having domestic issues, then swipe money from their bank account. :raise:

It's a total mess. I'd be mad if I paid $60 for it or got suckered in by the graphics hype, but as a game you can easily get for <$20 on Steam, it's at least an interesting mess. Also I just like Ubisoft open world games.

It's funny how the second game is near-universally praised for not being weighed down by gross ole sadsack Aidan Pearce, but you still get to do things like this:

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 02:32 on Jul 27, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

John Murdoch posted:

It's sure as hell more fun, interesting and well-received than the opposite, being critical of popular games even if it's a legitimate complaint.

I still get poo poo here for poorly phrasing a generally agreed on set of problems with Fallout 4. And I recently got kicked off a Discord channel I was a longstanding member of because I was critical of Destiny 2 (and some other games to be fair) by an admin that by total coincidence worked for Bungie and posted every single publicity video they released.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Cleretic posted:

It's sure as hell more fun, interesting and well-received than the opposite, being critical of popular games even if it's a legitimate complaint.

I still get poo poo here for poorly phrasing a generally agreed on set of problems with Fallout 4. And I recently got kicked off a Discord channel I was a longstanding member of because I was critical of Destiny 2 (and some other games to be fair) by an admin that by total coincidence worked for Bungie and posted every single publicity video they released.

I'm sorry that that discord thing happened to you, but I'm willing to bet that you would get poo poo for posting a generally agreed upon set of problems with any game here. This is the exact wrong thread for that. It always irritates me when someone posts a little thing they like about a game, and someone else decides to use that as a jumping off point to post about a bunch of little or big things that they hate about that game. That's the opposite of what I came here for! :rant:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Cleretic posted:

Yeah after causing controversy by liking Fallout 4 in the dragging the games down thread I've been secretly posting about fallout 4 in the text of my posts and I even quoted someone's post and replaced their name with "Fallout 4 is a good game" and nobody caught on.

I couldn't come up with more.

Vic has a new favorite as of 02:04 on Jul 27, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
"secretly"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ariong posted:

I'm sorry that that discord thing happened to you, but I'm willing to bet that you would get poo poo for posting a generally agreed upon set of problems with any game here. This is the exact wrong thread for that. It always irritates me when someone posts a little thing they like about a game, and someone else decides to use that as a jumping off point to post about a bunch of little or big things that they hate about that game. That's the opposite of what I came here for! :rant:

Oh, I don't post thst stuff here, or really anywhere. The other thread is too unrelentingly negative to follow, and problems I have with games can rarely be narrowed down into one 'thing dragging it down'.

I could write pages about why Breath of the Wild is my least favorite Zelda game, but it doesn't come down to something as digestible as 'durability sucks'.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I disagree with a lot of people about a lot of things but I have the good sense to keep it to myself in polite conversation because nobody wants to listen to some debby downer tell them that they have terrible taste. If you care more about being right than making friends then you do you, I guess.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Danaru posted:

I ended up playing the original Friday the 13th for this exact reason (and partially because the 2017 game reminded me the NES one existed) and once I read that Jason has a set pattern and that items weren't random, I sorta fell in love with it.

It's not a GOOD game by any stretch of the word, but it's a lot of fun and honestly sorta impressive considering Jason has an actual logic and you can chess-master his movements. You can also lay traps for him since if you have a fast character with a torch/some healing items attacked in a cabin, you can leave the cabin immediately and seal Jason's coffin by chasing him down and abusing mercy invincibility :v:

I'm on my phone, but someone a little while back put out an exhaustive PDF about how Friday the 13th for the NES works, and it really made me reassess my assumptions about the game. Like, there was clearly a lot of thought and care put into it, which is belied by its apparent inaccessibility and evident difficulty (which, I guess, might have been ahead of its time, if you want to classify it as survival horror).

If you're at all curious, it's worth looking up.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

Jaws unleashed is one of the few games to cause me motion sickness.

Ever played Tetrisphere?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Nostradingus posted:

Ever played Tetrisphere?

No, but Twisted Metal 2 would make me sick after about a half hour, and if I play Portal more than 30-40 minutes, I have to go lie down.

And sadly, Goat Simulator will make me near hurling after a short amount of time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vic posted:

Yeah after causing controversy by liking Fallout 4 in the dragging the games down thread I've been secretly posting about fallout 4 in the text of my posts and I even quoted someone's post and replaced their name with "Fallout 4 is a good game" and nobody caught on.

I couldn't come up with more.

You're not nearly as clever as you think you are, Lysanderoth.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Vic posted:

Alternatively; No one cares nor do they want a repeat of that stupid derail.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Not in the first game. They gave them vulnerability to arrows for some reason instead, even if the flute made sense it didnt work.

Oh snap, really? You could in Link's Awakening and I just kind of assumed. I was never big into the original Zelda. I think my favorite thing about Link's Awakening is still the part where you can not only steal but doing so would re-write your character's name as THIEF internally without warning. It's old news by now, sure. But having everyone just start calling you thief because you really needed that shovel was amazing.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'm on my phone, but someone a little while back put out an exhaustive PDF about how Friday the 13th for the NES works, and it really made me reassess my assumptions about the game. Like, there was clearly a lot of thought and care put into it, which is belied by its apparent inaccessibility and evident difficulty (which, I guess, might have been ahead of its time, if you want to classify it as survival horror).

If you're at all curious, it's worth looking up.

This is one of the most fascinating things I've ever read, in a similar vein: http://gameinternals.com/post/2072558330/understanding-pac-man-ghost-behavior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nuebot posted:

Oh snap, really? You could in Link's Awakening and I just kind of assumed. I was never big into the original Zelda. I think my favorite thing about Link's Awakening is still the part where you can not only steal but doing so would re-write your character's name as THIEF internally without warning. It's old news by now, sure. But having everyone just start calling you thief because you really needed that shovel was amazing.

:shopkeeper: