Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Scrubs goes through a real rough patch, starting with season 5 (though that still has a smattering of great episodes) up to the end of season 7, but it is otherwise remains one of the best comedies I feel I've ever seen; at the very least season 8 was a great way to send it off and recover from said rough patch. Of course then we got the med school follow up but it feels so far removed from the main show that I at least have no trouble just ignoring it a la Parks & Rec season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

GreenNight posted:

Man, I've never seen an episode of Scrubs, HIMYM, Seinfeld, or Friends.

I recently binged all of Friends after never seeing an episode. You ain't missing much.

Scrubs, on the other hand, #1!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seinfeld is the best multi-cam sitcom of all time although I will accept Frasier as an answer also

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Seinfeld is the Best, Frasier is the Last Great

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Dunno where else to post this, can someone link me the OITNB thread from Season 3? Might be archived.

I don't want to see the new thread's OP to look for it there because I'm amazingly spoiler free on the whole show, but I'd like to see discussion before I'm caught up on a show for once.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Loutre posted:

Dunno where else to post this, can someone link me the OITNB thread from Season 3?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725386

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Scrubs is probably the sitcom I enjoyed watching the most that I have no interest revisiting now. Not sure if it's because the later seasons poisoned it somewhat, but still.

Seinfeld is the king though. In the UK Friends got the beloved 9pm Friday slot (things work differently back home, that's super prime time) while Seinfeld got relegated to midnight during the week and struggled to ever find its audience.

I remember there was that 9gb bad quality pack of it going around in about 2001 and I watched every episode in order and fell in love. Then the DVD box sets came out, naturally.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The highs of Scrubs were probably the highest of any of the shows listed here. Like when that show hit mother of God did it hit. Conversely it had some absolute garbage later on. Last season completely redeemed itself though [Med school is effectively After MASH and doesn't count].

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mulva posted:

Like when that show hit mother of God did it hit. Conversely it had some absolute garbage later on. Last season completely redeemed itself though

Exactly like The Office US, then.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've rewatched Scrubs S1-S4 enough times that I feel it's worth revisiting, they hold up pretty well, especially the first two seasons.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JethroMcB posted:

Seinfeld is the Best, Frasier is the Last Great

I often wonder what exactly it is about Seinfeld that made it so great. I think it was the fact that there was just great cohesion among the cast, and just like in real life, you're not nice to your friends.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Friends was easily the biggest show listed here. Much bigger than Seinfield which never broke out of the US. Friends was a genuine world wide phenomenon. Saying it's the Two and a Half Men of its time massively undersells both it's reach to this day and it's impact on the TV landscape from then to now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have a theory that Ross is the Scranton Strangler. Please read my blog at

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I often wonder what exactly it is about Seinfeld that made it so great. I think it was the fact that there was just great cohesion among the cast, and just like in real life, you're not nice to your friends.

I think it's attitude/lack of corniness just resonates with a lot of people. Plus it pioneered and basically perfected having the A/B/C-plots all come together in the end.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

Everyone was an rear end in a top hat and the show knew it. All regular people are assholes, so it resonated.

Like, yeah, jerk/flawed characters had been done before, but what if Roseanne had doubled down on their trashiness and didn't make them have hearts of gold. Seinfeld never asked you to like its characters as people, but you're supposed to sympathize with Ross or Ted Mosbey.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

PriorMarcus posted:

Friends was easily the biggest show listed here. Much bigger than Seinfield which never broke out of the US. Friends was a genuine world wide phenomenon. Saying it's the Two and a Half Men of its time massively undersells both it's reach to this day and it's impact on the TV landscape from then to now.

Even today you can go to any country in the world, turn on a TV, flick through the channels and you will find an episode of Friends.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think anyone was arguing against this fact, but yeah.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

Seinfeld never asked you to like its characters as people, but you're supposed to sympathize with Ross or Ted Mosbey.

Which is probably why they're insufferable characters.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I haven't watched Ozark yet but they filmed it just down the street from me. I've gotten so used to seeing the "Blue Cat Lodge" that it's probably going to be weird seeing it on TV. Well that's my TV story thank you for reading it I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Croatoan posted:

I haven't watched Ozark yet but they filmed it just down the street from me. I've gotten so used to seeing the "Blue Cat Lodge" that it's probably going to be weird seeing it on TV. Well that's my TV story thank you for reading it I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it.

Do you get a beer and burger for $5 with each fill-up there?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Scrubs is sort of odd on a rewatch if you've seen it before because there's a lot of music in the show, and they didn't figure out licensing it until like the fifth season. Netflix in particular did an absolute poo poo job of replacing the music used when they put it on streaming, but even then there's differences between the first broadcast and syndication music. There's even a couple cases where there's 4 versions of music used: first broadcast, syndication, DVDs and streaming.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Scrubs is a weird rewatch when you have all these iconic musical moments in your memory and then they're all wrong when you watch them back.

In general while I enjoyed most of the sitcoms named I tend not to really enjoy rewatches of sitcoms in general beyond a short little binge.

Zerilan posted:

God I remember that episode of him freaking the gently caress out over a couple girls living in new Jersey and not new York.
That was kind of the meta joke. Like Ted was a big elitist snob about being from New York but the joke was he wasn't actually from New York and was a parody of those "I moved to New York and everyone has to!" people. Ted was a douche.

Of course I acknowledge that I'm being an elitist snob by drawing up categories of "New Yorker", because yes, we're dicks about that. Also pizza, hot dogs, and sports.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 27, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Please rename thread to Stuck In The Friends Zone.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've never seen Friends or Seinfeld except for random bits.

I feel like my life is better for it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Frasier and 30 Rock are my go-to series to rewatch whenever I'm really bored or when I want my apartment to feel less lonely

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Curb isn't that funny. It's like Seinfeld but with worse acting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

Curb isn't that funny.

You son of a bitch

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Calaveron posted:

Frasier and 30 Rock are my go-to series to rewatch whenever I'm really bored or when I want my apartment to feel less lonely

I started watching The Simpsons season 4 for that lately. I haven't watched these in years and it's amazing that I can watch Marge vs The Monorail for the first time in probably 4 years and laugh my rear end off.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I get the sense Mu Zeta's trying to become the Omega to my Alpha, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't be silly you're both obvious betas

i'm sorry, i'm sorry everyone

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Escobarbarian posted:

Don't be silly you're both obvious betas

i'm sorry, i'm sorry everyone

You apologize for NOTHING. I loved that!

After all, it is me you're talking about.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Agreed, Curb is dull

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

I started watching The Simpsons season 4 for that lately. I haven't watched these in years and it's amazing that I can watch Marge vs The Monorail for the first time in probably 4 years and laugh my rear end off.

A thing I noticed a couple weeks ago is that now on youtube streaming there's channels just running 24/7 simpsons and sometimes I just turn those on and go with it.

There's one for Futurama too but it always seems to be the new seasons when I tune in and I don't hate those but really don't need to see them again.

A 24/7 simpsons streaming service with no commercials is something I would probably pay a couple bucks for.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

IRQ posted:

A 24/7 simpsons streaming service with no commercials is something I would probably pay a couple bucks for.

I don't know about other boxes, but the FX App on the Apple TV has a dedicated simpsons section where all episodes are available on demand and there's 5 or 6 themed 24/7 streams.

Picture of it: http://cdn1.thecomeback.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Screen-Shot-2016-07-16-at-2.00.08-PM.png

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

A thing I noticed a couple weeks ago is that now on youtube streaming there's channels just running 24/7 simpsons and sometimes I just turn those on and go with it.

There's one for Futurama too but it always seems to be the new seasons when I tune in and I don't hate those but really don't need to see them again.

I have the Simpsons seasons 2-8 and Futurama seasons 1-4 on DVD, so that's just my preferred method. I've been contemplating buy Simpsons seasons 9-11 so I can pretend it died with dignity

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't know about other boxes, but the FX App on the Apple TV has a dedicated simpsons section where all episodes are available on demand and there's 5 or 6 themed 24/7 streams.

Picture of it: http://cdn1.thecomeback.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Screen-Shot-2016-07-16-at-2.00.08-PM.png

I use a pc for everything so idk if that would help me. Are they commercial free? I get FXX through PSVue so I guess I have a login for it.

Iron Crowned posted:

I have the Simpsons seasons 2-8 and Futurama seasons 1-4 on DVD, so that's just my preferred method. I've been contemplating buy Simpsons seasons 9-11 so I can pretend it died with dignity

I have copies of all of it, I just like being lazy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

IRQ posted:

I use a pc for everything so idk if that would help me. Are they commercial free? I get FXX through PSVue so I guess I have a login for it.

It's been aaaages since I checked, but I think there might be limited commercials? Maybe the easiest way is just getting all the episodes and just randomizing a playlist or use a Kodi script or something.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

I have copies of all of it, I just like being lazy.

Fair enough. Once upon a time before streaming services existed, I considered making a PC that I could digitize all my TV DVDs and just set up a giant playlist so I could watch one episode of several different shows in one sitting.

Then I realized that was a lot of work.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

IRQ posted:

i wonder if they just aren't pointing a capture at netflix or something, since they got rid of the Fox episodes somewhat recently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Iron Crowned posted:

Fair enough. Once upon a time before streaming services existed, I considered making a PC that I could digitize all my TV DVDs and just set up a giant playlist so I could watch one episode of several different shows in one sitting.

Then I realized that was a lot of work.

I almost did this with Plex, you can create playlists of media and shuffle them. I was gonna throw together a "channel" with Parks & Rec, HIMYM, Futurama, South Park, American Dad, Bob's Burgers, etc.

Then I got cable again and have that more or less anyway (albeit with commercials).

[Edit: I've also thought about messing with the Netflix API to see if there's some way to create a (local) website that creates a schedule with certain qualities (random episode of Futurama, random episode of Bob's Burgers, then the next sequental episode of whatever show we're binging) but it would have been hard to do, and also those shows are no longer are Netflix anyway]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 27, 2017

• Locked thread