Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Haifisch posted:

Think about the logisitics of using this shower for a minute:

I'm noticing a distinct lack of shower door, shower curtain rod, or any possible place to affix such things. Either there are fittings there at an angle we can't see, or someone is way into having shower water all over their hallway, and also low-key household exhibitionism if that hallway leads to anywhere trafficked.

What was that room even built for? I can't buy that someone was just like "hm, we'll just build a tiny narrow standalone shower with a huge-rear end window in this hallway, seems legit." Is it a converted closet, or what? (Converted by a low-key exhibitionist, one presumes.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

They have compression-spring shower curtain rods, presumably the idea is you very precariously affix one in the narrow flat space of the doorway. Of course, water will still go loving everywhere if there's not some sort of floor lip to hold it in.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Haifisch posted:

Think about the logisitics of using this shower for a minute:

Good god, I can't stand colored tile grout, especially with white tiles. You can sort of pull it off if the grout is the same color as the tile, but anything like this just looks dirty.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I think this is it from the other direction. There's a small lip, but water would still go everywhere:

But then water getting everywhere while bathing seems to be a theme in this house:

I think this bath is what is in the room behind the weird shower in a bathroom they for some reason decided to carpet:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Holy poo poo, hardwoods AND carpet in the bathroom? This just keeps getting worse and worse.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I think we found Beamster's new mold lab.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

I never knew I wanted a window like this until this moment. :swoon:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rabbit Hill posted:

I never knew I wanted a window like this until this moment. :swoon:

Time to go full Bag End. Hey it's just occurred to me that Bag End is probably a thing about cul-de-sacs since it's at the end of a path and that's what cul de sac means. Huh.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Youth Decay posted:

Here is "Asian inspired" design done right IMO. Helps that it's in an amazing location of course.

That house makes me feel peaceful, although I don't like the flesh colored walls

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

paternity suitor posted:

That house makes me feel peaceful, although I don't like the flesh colored walls

:stare: either calibrate your monitor or see a doctor

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So GeekChic went out of business so I'm in the market for a new coffee table. I really like the Noguchi but want to explore some other options first. I'm looking for something more "interesting"-looking, so no boring-rear end suburban coffee tables.

It needs to be tall enough that a Roomba can go under it (like six inches of clearance), or positioned such that it doesn't need to be cleaned underneath.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

sink apparently installed by same person who installed my fridge

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

SoundMonkey posted:

sink apparently installed by same person who installed my fridge

They did it that way so you could easily install a cupboard-matching wood panel over it.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

PRADA SLUT posted:

So GeekChic went out of business so I'm in the market for a new coffee table. I really like the Noguchi but want to explore some other options first. I'm looking for something more "interesting"-looking, so no boring-rear end suburban coffee tables.

It needs to be tall enough that a Roomba can go under it (like six inches of clearance), or positioned such that it doesn't need to be cleaned underneath.
Chairish is awesome for finding neat vintage furniture. Shipping can get nuts so search by your location.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

Chairish is awesome for finding neat vintage furniture. Shipping can get nuts so search by your location.

Thanks so much for this link -- it's awesome!

This sofa is so awesomely horrible that I kind of want it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

PRADA SLUT posted:

They did it that way so you could easily install a cupboard-matching wood panel over it.

yeah what kind of imbecile wouldn't want to match THIS glory

bonus: one the one hand i appreciate that it's wired SORT OF right, on the other hand that looks like poo poo on top of a set of cabinets. build a loving bulkhead or something i dunno.

and yeah that's mostly lighting the shelf 18" below it. and there's more shelves below that. they come out as far as the edge of the light fixture, i don't think it actually provides any light but the plant seems to like it

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Thanks so much for this link -- it's awesome!

This sofa is so awesomely horrible that I kind of want it.

And it even has some matching chairs!
https://www.chairish.com/product/289753/retro-mid-century-black-swivel-arm-chairs-a-pair

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Oh hell YES.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's furniture decisions are influenced by "will this work with Roomba"

I can tell you for sure that every few days Roomba will manage to high center itself on a Pearsall jacks coffee table :(

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Youth Decay posted:

Well that's just loving great. A website dedicated for people who want to charge exorbitant prices for used furniture instead of selling it at garage sales or craigslist for something nearing its true value as intended.

https://www.chairish.com/product/705548/west-elm-carved-wood-metal-desk

https://www.chairish.com/product/705498/rustic-farmhouse-black-desk

https://www.chairish.com/product/704205/vintage-1940s-oak-school-desk

Are you loving kidding me?
https://www.chairish.com/product/448694/vintage-1970s-school-desk

https://www.chairish.com/product/571409/mid-century-modern-gateleg-table

https://www.chairish.com/product/411402/industrial-metal-standing-desk

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 27, 2017

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Roomba just barely fits between my aeron legs enough to not be able to get itself out, so I put a piece of fishing line between the legs to keep it out.

justroombathings

Doctor Butts posted:

Well that's just loving great. A website dedicated for people who want to charge exorbitant prices for used furniture instead of selling it at garage sales or craigslist for something nearing its true value as intended.

Craigslist is full of people trying to sling lovely old furniture as "vintage" for twice what it's worth CASH ONLY FIRM

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 27, 2017

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea but this is on another level since this website is intended solely for that purpose.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I think this lamp might divide people, but I loving love it and am heavily thinking about getting it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

If it fits with the room you want to put it in, why not?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
would look great with a tiki bar and hawaiian shirt luau party

Eikre
May 2, 2009

cheese eats mouse posted:

I think this lamp might divide people, but I loving love it and am heavily thinking about getting it.

:weed:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I like this but not $180 like. It might make a pretty good bedside table. Hopefully it has French schoolchild graffiti carved into it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

There's nothing wrong with the desk itself. I don't believe it is actually from a French school, but that's my problem. Whether I'm right or not, there were likely thousands of that kind of desk produced. But, to top it off, it looks like it is made out of plywood and it is just standard metal tubing. It is also not in great condition.

The price is in no way justified, even if you take the flowery descriptors to heart (including vintage/mid century modern).

It is an old, beat up desk that is not unique and not made of high quality material. $25 I'd go for but a normal person would give it up for $10 or less.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Also I signed up for the Chairish newsletter for a giveaway 6 months ago, and have been trying to unsubscribe for the past 5 months. I've given up and have Google send them directly to trash now.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Doctor Butts posted:

There's nothing wrong with the desk itself. I don't believe it is actually from a French school, but that's my problem. Whether I'm right or not, there were likely thousands of that kind of desk produced. But, to top it off, it looks like it is made out of plywood and it is just standard metal tubing. It is also not in great condition.

The price is in no way justified, even if you take the flowery descriptors to heart (including vintage/mid century modern).

It is an old, beat up desk that is not unique and not made of high quality material. $25 I'd go for but a normal person would give it up for $10 or less.

:agreed:

It's an old, mass-produced desk from the 70's someone is trying to sling as some ~vintage French MCM~ piece to sucker people in to paying 10 times its value.

If I saw it in the wild, I'd guess it came from a dumpster.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There is a clear line between vintage and broken, and 9/10 the item concerned contains the words "shabby" or "distressed" in the description. The legs on that thing have rust spots, in no reality should the condition be marked as "excellent". Plus it's not a French writing desk, this is a typical French writing desk. https://www.swooneditions.com/adele...dwords+shopping

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There 3 stores near me that have really latched onto the whole mid century modern thing.

One is a very nice store run by a very nice lady. They drive all over the region picking up anything they can find that would go with their store, and generally then put in a lot of work fixing the pieces up. Sometimes it's just some stain or polish, sometimes it's totally reupholsterering it and building new drawers and installing new hardware. The prices are always very very fair and they know their poo poo.

The other is a more "high end" store. They do exactly the same stuff but they put more work into everything they get, making it look brand new (to the point of having no charcater) and then turn around and sell it at about 2-5x what the previous store sells. At first they mostly sold items out of their store to locals, but with MCM being such a big thing they now mostly sell online because that's where you'll find people willing to spend $3000 on a chair.

The third puts almost no work into the pieces they get and sell poo poo like old school desks and broken poo poo for ridiculous sums because oh my god its got so much history and character. They also just carry any random old poo poo from the 50's to the 70's because anything at all produced in that window is mid century modern right?

I obviously only go to the first store.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

quote:

Plus it's not a French writing desk,

Well, it is a school desk. Which is probably the only accurate thing about that listing. I had one a lot like that in middle school in the USA except it had the decency to have a hard veneer on top.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I searched "uzbek" to see what kind of textiles were listed and there were a lot of greasy pillowcases, and nothing under $100.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Baronjutter posted:

There 3 stores near me that have really latched onto the whole mid century modern thing.

One is a very nice store run by a very nice lady. They drive all over the region picking up anything they can find that would go with their store, and generally then put in a lot of work fixing the pieces up. Sometimes it's just some stain or polish, sometimes it's totally reupholsterering it and building new drawers and installing new hardware. The prices are always very very fair and they know their poo poo.

The other is a more "high end" store. They do exactly the same stuff but they put more work into everything they get, making it look brand new (to the point of having no charcater) and then turn around and sell it at about 2-5x what the previous store sells. At first they mostly sold items out of their store to locals, but with MCM being such a big thing they now mostly sell online because that's where you'll find people willing to spend $3000 on a chair.

The third puts almost no work into the pieces they get and sell poo poo like old school desks and broken poo poo for ridiculous sums because oh my god its got so much history and character. They also just carry any random old poo poo from the 50's to the 70's because anything at all produced in that window is mid century modern right?

I obviously only go to the first store.

Oh man, you're missing out. If you learn to see through dust and dings, you could make a killing at the third place. My best pieces came from a junk collector who didn't know what people were spending on some of their stuff. Most of it was dusty as hell, but five minutes with some furniture polish and it's beautiful.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Check out this atomic lakehouse y'all. It's like super-low budget Lautner.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

Check out this atomic lakehouse y'all. It's like super-low budget Lautner.

Ohmygod, WANT.

It's even in my state. Too bad it's about $200K over my budget.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i'm loving the "high-class tropical resort dental office" vibe

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

SoundMonkey posted:

i'm loving the "high-class tropical resort dental office" vibe

Imagine that room converted into an indoor tropical garden :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I want this book: The House of Fiction: From Pemberley to Brideshead, Great British Houses in Literature and Life https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32938129-the-house-of-fiction?from_search=true (review https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/jul/29/pemberley-manderley-howards-end-real-building-fictional-houses)

I spent a lot of my childhood a short walk alway from north lees hall, which was the real life thornfield hall. Little known fact, Jane Eyre wasn't entirely fiction. The names were invented and she set the story in her own time, with a lot of it tamed down for the morality of the age but it happened. There was a real life governess who openly became the mistress of the lord of the manor, he had a mad wife locked in a tower (which everyone knew about), which burnt down with the wife inside. Although in reality he rebuilt the hall and married the mistress.
Whole history of the place is game of thrones level batshit. One lord had seven sons and he built seven halls all within sight of north lees, had to flatten hills and level woodland to do it but he could stand on the tower and see all of them, they would signal to him that all was well with flag poles. Another lord was a catholic rebel who built miles and miles of tunnels running from north lees down to the village without the Roundheads ever finding out.