Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Toy Story 3's Toybox Mode has some cute incidental dialog, like when Mayor Hamm reveals himself as the Evil Doctor Porkchop and starts stealing all the town money with his airship, during the battle I heard a townperson say "This is not how an elected official should behave!:mad:"
That was cute :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

BioEnchanted posted:

Toy Story 3's Toybox Mode has some cute incidental dialog, like when Mayor Hamm reveals himself as the Evil Doctor Porkchop and starts stealing all the town money with his airship, during the battle I heard a townperson say "This is not how an elected official should behave!:mad:"
That was cute :3:

*insert Trump joke here*

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Mission's called "The Pig Finish" :3: But his airship is yuge...

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I put down the game when Mayor Hamm announced that all transgender Army Men would be removed from their plastic bucket.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The dark secret behind the 30 Paratroopers... I thought that they left because they wanted to do their little missions :ohdear:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Nuebot posted:

Oh snap, really? You could in Link's Awakening and I just kind of assumed. I was never big into the original Zelda. I think my favorite thing about Link's Awakening is still the part where you can not only steal but doing so would re-write your character's name as THIEF internally without warning. It's old news by now, sure. But having everyone just start calling you thief because you really needed that shovel was amazing.

The fact that it's spelled in all caps makes me think the characters are screaming "THIEF!" at you every time they say your name to make you feel like an rear end in a top hat.

Something I never really found out until I played the 3DS VC version of Link's Awakening is that if you don't turn in Bow-Wow right away, you can use him as an item detector and he'll tell you that there's a secret shell buried there - also, to prevent you from using him the whole game, he'll attack the bridge maker monkey and Ralph will refuse to talk to you as long as you have him.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Link's Awakening is my favorite Zelda game, and maybe a big part of that is that every item in the game seems to have multiple uses and there are often multiple solutions to obstacles. Sure, you could set bombs at just the right time to kill a wizzrobe, but if you fire an arrow and plant a bomb at the same time you end up creating an exploding arrow then you can just explode those fuckers like you're goddamn Rambo. If you toss the boomering and grab the flying rooster (what a strange phrase without context) the boomerang will fly below you obliterating everything in its path. Instead of hitting the soft back end of the guys with cubone helmets in front, just use the hookshot to remover their armor. Hell, as soon as I get the roc's feather, the shield goes straight to my inventory and I dodge-tank everything in the game like a boss. drat, I love that game.

Conversely, I was very disappointed when I got the whip in Skyward Sword. It was useful for one thing: swinging from predetermined swingy-poles. I kept trying to disarm Moblin's like I was Indiana Jones, but no dice. I guess I like games that let me play around with the skill set in creative ways. Thankfully, there are a good amount of games out there that scratch that itch.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

marshmallow creep posted:

Oh gently caress!

The tonfa are designed really well in-game. They've had animation cancelling built into their balance, with a number of abilities specifically implemented around it - you're intended to go through combos, cancel with a special invincibility frame twirl, and keep up the hurt. They are done so well and you can easily tell they've had the bulk of the DLC's development love put into them.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

scarycave posted:

The fact that it's spelled in all caps makes me think the characters are screaming "THIEF!" at you every time they say your name to make you feel like an rear end in a top hat.

Inversely the ending of Ocarina of Time made me laugh because when Ganondorf is screaming at everyone at the end your name is still case-sensitive so it reads like he ran out of breath.

"CURSE YOU, SAGES! CURSE YOU, ZELDA! CURSE YOU, Link!"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Specially tailored names for link will never not be funny to me

"Hey, what's up, FUCKER? Surprised to see me?"

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Digirat posted:

I still get a chuckle out of naming my character "Revan" in Knights of the Old Republic.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Similar with naming Red XIII "Nanaki" in FF7. Paraphrased, "they gave me the name Nanaki, but that's not who I really am..."

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The best game to play is to name everyone in FF7 "Sephiroth".

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

FELD1 posted:

Link's Awakening is my favorite Zelda game, and maybe a big part of that is that every item in the game seems to have multiple uses and there are often multiple solutions to obstacles. Sure, you could set bombs at just the right time to kill a wizzrobe, but if you fire an arrow and plant a bomb at the same time you end up creating an exploding arrow then you can just explode those fuckers like you're goddamn Rambo. If you toss the boomering and grab the flying rooster (what a strange phrase without context) the boomerang will fly below you obliterating everything in its path. Instead of hitting the soft back end of the guys with cubone helmets in front, just use the hookshot to remover their armor. Hell, as soon as I get the roc's feather, the shield goes straight to my inventory and I dodge-tank everything in the game like a boss. drat, I love that game.

Conversely, I was very disappointed when I got the whip in Skyward Sword. It was useful for one thing: swinging from predetermined swingy-poles. I kept trying to disarm Moblin's like I was Indiana Jones, but no dice. I guess I like games that let me play around with the skill set in creative ways. Thankfully, there are a good amount of games out there that scratch that itch.

I can't find anything by googling on the internet, but I remember killing the first phase of the final boss by whipping out a mushroom. That's probably my favourite random thing in link's awakening.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

Eh...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Nearly done with the gold stars in Toy Story 3's Toybox mode - I've got 80/103 of the things, and most of them aren't too bad. I like the silly ones, like "Grow your own gold" where the description is "Can you figure out how to make the gold deposits bigger?" The trick: Throw a wad of the Green Goo at it as that makes stuff grow. That's it! No trick, or difficult minigame, just a silly little fun thing that I think actually does give you more gold when you break it. :3: This game's great at that kind of thing. Also I'm getting the hang of the vehicles, and there doesn't seem to be a star for Gold Medalling the races, you just need to beat them all, which is merciful. Also you don't need to empty the Surprise Capsule vendor in Al's Toy Barn on the game board (menu/stage select) which would require grinding the story levels for tokens - 10 per capsule :gonk:.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There was a run of FF7 at the last SGDQ and they named Tifa "Beefaroni," which ended up being pretty good too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I think in fourth or fifth grade I named Angelo in ff8 sex because it was hilarious to me. Still is actually

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Digirat posted:

Dammit is one of the best Zelda names , like everyone is just getting more and more annoyed when you interact with them.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Naming him I say makes everyone talk like Foghorn Leghorn.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ilmucche posted:

I can't find anything by googling on the internet, but I remember killing the first phase of the final boss by whipping out a mushroom. That's probably my favourite random thing in link's awakening.

It's the Magic Powder that does it. You get the powder from the mushroom fetch quest in Link to the Past, but in LA the mushroom is for a different fetch quest and you get the powder from the Trendy Game.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ghost 1.0 when you name your character it says "Choose wisely, as it can't be changed later.". If you name your character Wisely the game basically rolls its eyes at you with a sarcastic message and tells you to pick a real name. If you then choose Changed Later (which it specifically said it couldn't be) it gets sick of your poo poo and crashes to desktop.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RyokoTK posted:

It's the Magic Powder that does it. You get the powder from the mushroom fetch quest in Link to the Past, but in LA the mushroom is for a different fetch quest and you get the powder from the Trendy Game.

I'm pretty sure there are multiple ways to get the power in LA, because the witch is there too and if you bring her a mushroom she'll give you more powder.

As for the last boss, there are two ways to take out his final form. Shoot him in the eye with arrows like a nerd. Or throw your boomerang at his eye for an instant kill.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Ignore this

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Vic posted:

Yeah after causing controversy by liking Fallout 4 in the dragging the games down thread I've been secretly posting about fallout 4 in the text of my posts and I even quoted someone's post and replaced their name with "Fallout 4 is a good game" and nobody caught on.

I couldn't come up with more.
Ohh I wondered why when someone asked about New Vegas builds you responded with Fallout 4 builds

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

ok

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

rydiafan posted:

Ghost 1.0 when you name your character it says "Choose wisely, as it can't be changed later.". If you name your character Wisely the game basically rolls its eyes at you with a sarcastic message and tells you to pick a real name. If you then choose Changed Later (which it specifically said it couldn't be) it gets sick of your poo poo and crashes to desktop.

Their previous game, UnEpic, was a horrifically unfunny piece of poo poo but one of the few actual good jokes was a similar meta goof where you fight an enemy with mind control powers and he keeps using them to turn the game against you and make you start over. The ultimate middle finger to the player is that if you do manage to finally beat him then if you have a teleport item in your inventory he makes you use it to leave so you have to fight him all over sgsin.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
In Animal Crossing:New Leaf, you can choose a nickname for yourself:

and "catchphrases" for your villagers to end their sentences with:

(Other good choices are "or not" or "I guess" to make them sound insincere/apathetic, or "eh?" to make them Canadian.)

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I had no idea you could kill the final form of the last boss of Link's Awakening with the boomerang. That's dope. I've beaten this game ~24 times (really rough estimate, a lot of these times I was drunk) and I still learn new things.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's just a really good game in a lot of ways.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Man, I hosed up bad by not having fun with my Phantom Thieves name.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Len posted:

I think in fourth or fifth grade I named Angelo in ff8 sex because it was hilarious to me. Still is actually

I always name him Jizz, so then you get the announcement that "Rinoa's Limit Breaks use Jizz" and she has a limit break called "Jizz Cannon".

Hell no.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
I used to name all my RPG characters "DEATH" because it was the edgiest thing I could think of.

My char in FFXIV is named "Lol Cats" and when I get addressed in cutscenes, it makes everyone seem like they don't give a poo poo.

"If we don't fix this, it will cause the end of the world Lol!"

"There was so much blood Lol!"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is why I liked seeing SA forums poster "Whilst Farting I" around.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

Always call Barrett 'Shinra' to turn him into a self-loathing cyborg who keeps announcing his own failures in the third person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I'm a child.