Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

DontMockMySmock posted:

Why are they genetically engineered to have tiny, tiny heads?

They only had one size helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Awww, I missed the NIN chat. :(

Well, I saw him for the Self Destruct tour at the Riv (one of the best concerts I've ever been to), the next one where he toured with Bowie (forget the tours name), the Fragile tour a couple times (Chicago and Madison the next day), and With Teeth (where I lived next door to the Congress and my roommate and I snuck in between acts).

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

Smaller hit box for head shots.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

temptress plz

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well, I saw him for the Self Destruct tour at the Riv (one of the best concerts I've ever been to), the next one where he toured with Bowie (forget the tours name), the Fragile tour a couple times (Chicago and Madison the next day), and With Teeth (where I lived next door to the Congress and my roommate and I snuck in between acts).

I was at most of those same shows. The Congress show had a fuckup and the show stopped for about 25 minutes, so they restarted with a new set.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

It makes headshots a little more difficult.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mezzanine posted:

Ever stop to think about how weird / huge those guys must be to for those suits to fit? I mean, it's not like there's a little tiny dude in there pulling levers to move the arms and legs, right?

Suit? Fit? The dude's Chaos, you think there's a difference between his flesh and his armor anymore?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Solice Kirsk posted:

I was at that Riv show too! Is that the one where Marylin Manson and Femme2Femme opened and nobody had any idea who Marylin Manson was?

Good times.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Aleph Null posted:

I'm running out of Trent Reznor related images.
Here you go:

[edit] grrrrrrrrrrrr

Ellie Crabcakes has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Jul 27, 2017

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aleph Null posted:

I'm running out of Trent Reznor related images.

With bonus video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJYBx5NJULY

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Extra Super Bonus:

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.
Is there already a thread for badass Warhammer 40k art? If someone has a link I'd be much obliged.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

It'd been like a decade since I'd seen him last when I caught a NIN show a couple years back. He got jacked af.

vs

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Only two angels are mentioned by name in the bible, The Michael, and Gabriel. That does not include Lucifer and Abbadon who were both fallen angels.

Lucifer as the name for satan or any fallen angel is basically fanfiction bullshit made up way after the fact.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Elfgames posted:

Lucifer as the name for satan or any fallen angel is basically fanfiction bullshit made up way after the fact.

so is satan being a fallen angel in the first place, satan's job is literally to be an rear end in a top hat to humans. that's what god created him to do.

he's even allowed to be an rear end in a top hat to god

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He's the court jester!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Elfgames posted:

It's just a title meaning Light Bringer. In Revelations Jesus refers to himself as Lucifer.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

He's the court jester!
So this is why the best depictions of him are so funny

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Leon Einstein posted:

I was at most of those same shows. The Congress show had a fuckup and the show stopped for about 25 minutes, so they restarted with a new set.

That's when we snuck in! We just walked in through that backdoor with penlights shining at the ground and walked right by everyone. They had the house lights on and we just walked right into the crowd and waited for the show to restart. We were also the two guys yelling from the second floor apartment above the pizza place on the corner if you were lined up early.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

DontMockMySmock posted:

They're born as normal humans and the genetic stuff is added in later, around puberty. I assume they don't gently caress with the head too much. (Aside from the mandatory brainwashing, of course)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dreddout posted:

They're born as normal humans and the genetic stuff is added in later, around puberty. I assume they don't gently caress with the head too much. (Aside from the mandatory brainwashing, of course)

They have a bunch of artificial organs implanted in their brain. Catalepsean Node lets them sleep with half their brain at a time like a dolphin, the Omophagea gives them the ability to absorb the memories from eating their enemies' brains, Occulobe gives them much better eyesight than a regular human, and the Sus-an Membrane lets them enter a healing coma. That's along with having their ears completely replaced, Neuroglottis implanted in their sinuses gives them crazy good taste and smell, and the Betcher's Gland that gives them the ability to spit acid

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I like how space marines are so repressed that when they defect, they go all out monstrosity evil. Aren't there any atheist, middle of the road space marines that just didn't feel like screaming "for the emperor" anymore?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Glad I'm not too late for Reznor chat. Here, have some Trent Reznor, Peter Murphy, and TV on the Radio playing together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZYjHsbSQpY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAahyKNehxg

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

nerdz posted:

I like how space marines are so repressed that when they defect, they go all out monstrosity evil. Aren't there any atheist, middle of the road space marines that just didn't feel like screaming "for the emperor" anymore?

Thanks to reading 1d4chan too drat much (only way I can stomach the 40k universe), I know that there are, but the nature of 40k is that the Imperium basically has a "If you followed the dudes who turned into literal demon monsters, we're gonna splat you" policy in place.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

nerdz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKSkW3ov_Pg

or was that a warham question?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Regrettable posted:

Reznor chat

I saw NiN in 2007 in Melbourne and some fuckwit answered his phone and started a loud conversation at the start of Hurt. Trent stopped playing and told security to get him out and then decided he had had enough and left the stage.

I saw the idiot who answered his phone later on outside sitting in a gutter with cable tied hands while police tried to take a statement from a hysterical woman. No idea what actually happened - the dude's shirt was mostly ripped off, but he didn't have blood on his face or anything.

Lots more goons like NiN than I expected, but I guess for most of us we're the right age to be heavily influenced by The Crow and early-mid 90s teen angst.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Memento posted:

I saw NiN in 2007 in Melbourne and some fuckwit answered his phone and started a loud conversation at the start of Hurt. Trent stopped playing and told security to get him out and then decided he had had enough and left the stage.

I saw the idiot who answered his phone later on outside sitting in a gutter with cable tied hands while police tried to take a statement from a hysterical woman. No idea what actually happened - the dude's shirt was mostly ripped off, but he didn't have blood on his face or anything.

Lots more goons like NiN than I expected, but I guess for most of us we're the right age to be heavily influenced by The Crow and early-mid 90s teen angst.

Sounds like Axl Rose at a Guns N Roses concert.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

nerdz posted:

Most Space Marines are atheists. Chapters that actually worship the Emperor as a god are pretty rare.

As for moderate, non-Imperial Space Marines, that happens but they don't tend to last long. First off, Space Marines don't grow their own food. They don't make their own bullets. Once they're cut off from the Imperium, their best option is piracy. Which paints a big old target on them. The Inquisition doesn't take lightly to Space Marines going off the reservation, and every time they raid a colony or ship, that just helps the Inquisition find them faster.

Secondly, you basically gotta have something protecting your soul from Chaos. Like they say, an open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded. Even though Space Marines don't worship the Emperor, they still have the absolute discipline of the Imperium. Take that away and new thoughts can start to creep in. Not to mention that a life on the run from the forces of the Imperium is eventually going to make them take safe harbor someplace unseemly. Maybe not the Eye of Terror, but at least someplace where the light of the Emperor does not shine.

So yeah, Renegade Space Marines pretty quickly either get destroyed or become Chaos Space Marines.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

nerdz posted:

Pst all of 40k is pretty monstrously evil in some form or another

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

nerdz posted:

Night Lords are your edgy "believes in nothing" go-to who are onlt classified as chaos by virtue of their hatred of the Imperium. Otherwise they stay pretty clean of the tentacle hellfire poo poo.

Memento posted:

NIN was my gateway to industrial as a kid. Only time I saw them live I remember the bassist tried and failed to sock the guitarist for getting too close (or vice versa) and they noped right the hell out of there with no encore. I mostly remember that concert for introducing me to Boris, who opened.

Deified Data has a new favorite as of 00:30 on Jul 28, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deified Data posted:

Night Lords are your edgy "believes in nothing" go-to who are onlt classified as chaos by virtue of their hatred of the Imperium. Otherwise they stay pretty clean of the tentacle hellfire poo poo.

Some of them. There are Night Lord daemon princes and possessed and others. Same for the Iron Warriors and Alpha Legion.

Elfgames posted:

Pst all of 40k is pretty monstrously evil in some form or another

And, originally at least, the setting's writers knew it and were rather tongue in cheek about it. Somewhere along the line, the joke got lost except for the Orks.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cythereal posted:

Some of them. There are Night Lord daemon princes and possessed and others. Same for the Iron Warriors and Alpha Legion.

Yeah, Night Lords as a group aren't pledged to any given Chaos god, and they don't have a ton of sorcerers so there's less openly inviting corruption or possession. But they're still pretty Chaosy. Their go-to tactic is to inspire fear in populations by skinning people and crucifying the skins. And a lot of them live in the Eye of Terror. Night Lords might be less committed to the cause of Chaos on average, but most of them are still running the risk of waking up one day to find out their arm turned into a crab claw.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Then what happened? Come on, you can't just leave us hanging!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Girlfriend's anniversary gift sorted, thx.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Is there a 40k lore thread around here? Because this poo poo is fascinating. I've played the games but never the tabletop one due to just how expensive that poo poo is.

Couldn't get into the couple books I've seen either, it just had abysmal writing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Not since the dick towel have a I been awestruck by an invention.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not since the dick towel have a I been awestruck by an invention.

Please post this dick towel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

https://www.dicktowel.com/