Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Grondoth posted:

Look at the places that are rich and well kept.

They have power.

Look at the places that are destitute and ignored.

They do not. It's that simple.

if this is the measuring stick then there are large swathes of the city that have zero power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Parts of Buffalo are doing okay. All in all, it's doing well! If you were here years ago and someone showed you Canalside, you'd be blown the gently caress away. However, the growth has largely been focused around downtown, and it's obvious. I know that's nothing new to cities, but it's very disheartening to see so much improvement in some places and watch so many others languish.

There's been lots of rumbling but no real movement on getting rid of the dumbest goddamn ideas we ever had here, which was how we laid out roads. We had a first of its kind parkway system and we demolished it way back in the 60's.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

if this is the measuring stick then there are large swathes of the city that have zero power.

Yes

That's what I was gettin' at

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Grondoth posted:

Yes

That's what I was gettin' at

fair enough. the upstate downstate rivalry is still really loving dumb. both sides gently caress each other over equally.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

immigrants are doing things that native-born americans refuse to do, like move to buffalo en masse

for real though, it does have a large immigrant community there

gobbagool posted:

what should upstaters do? wait for GE and Chevy to hire in Schenectady and Tonawanda again? as long as the economic fate of upstate is dictated by the whims of the City, there won't be any big new factory built, or anything that would bring any large number of jobs in. I mean the proof is in the pudding, anywhere I travel in south and west I meet people from upstate.
since you're so willing to parrot this bullshit at the expense of your fellow upstaters, you should be the first to move to wisconsin like your dear leader says

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Foursquare wants us to beg them to open an office up here:

https://twitter.com/Foursquare/status/890238448736641025

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"tech" companies don't even create that many jobs to begin with. i put tech in quotes because what they do is increasingly broad, and they don't even create anything of worth

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

get that OUT of my face posted:

immigrants are doing things that native-born americans refuse to do, like move to buffalo en masse

for real though, it does have a large immigrant community there

since you're so willing to parrot this bullshit at the expense of your fellow upstaters, you should be the first to move to wisconsin like your dear leader says

no. I work in NYC when I go to the office once every couple weeks. I live upstate and have a huge new house on a ton of land surrounded by hundreds of acres of nature preserve and forever wild. I'm not the target of Trumps comments. lots of people who once had good jobs in factories might be listening though. his comments were indelicate but not wrong.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Grondoth posted:

Parts of Buffalo are doing okay. All in all, it's doing well! If you were here years ago and someone showed you Canalside, you'd be blown the gently caress away. However, the growth has largely been focused around downtown, and it's obvious. I know that's nothing new to cities, but it's very disheartening to see so much improvement in some places and watch so many others languish.

There's been lots of rumbling but no real movement on getting rid of the dumbest goddamn ideas we ever had here, which was how we laid out roads. We had a first of its kind parkway system and we demolished it way back in the 60's.

look at yesterday's Buffalo news there's a plan afoot to fix he scajaqueda where it goes through Delaware park. not I perfect fix but an improvement.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Matt Zerella posted:

show your work please because if that was the case the MTA would be fully funded and modernized.

why do downstaters keep electing downstaters to the governors office who turnaround and use the MTA as a slush fund? how is that an upstate driven issue? do you understand how Authorities work?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

gobbagool posted:

why do downstaters keep electing downstaters to the governors office who turnaround and use the MTA as a slush fund? how is that an upstate driven issue? do you understand how Authorities work?

Because of the unholy alliance of Long Island, Westchester, and Upstate.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Grondoth posted:

:unsmith:

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

CaptainPsyko posted:

Because of the unholy alliance of Long Island, Westchester, and Upstate.

upstate didn't put prince Andrew in office

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/11/cuomo_wins_ny_but_loses_upstate.html

don't pin that guy on us

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm pretty okay with your awful island city drowning in the atlantic in the next few years, if it means the end of wherever they breed Trumps and Scaramuccis

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

gobbagool posted:

upstate didn't put prince Andrew in office

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/11/cuomo_wins_ny_but_loses_upstate.html

don't pin that guy on us

No, Upstate just gave him the legislative conditions necessary to run roughshod over both chambers and consolidate power to his own ends.

He doesn't get to play his dumb triangulation bullshit without upstate and suburban senators pushing out his right flank. They give the maneuvering room he needs to ignore the city without suffering electoral consequences, because the alternative is chucklefucks like "hasn't met a racial slur he didn't love" Paladino.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

CaptainPsyko posted:

No, Upstate just gave him the legislative conditions necessary to run roughshod over both chambers and consolidate power to his own ends.

He doesn't get to play his dumb triangulation bullshit without upstate and suburban senators pushing out his right flank. They give the maneuvering room he needs to ignore the city without suffering electoral consequences, because the alternative is chucklefucks like "hasn't met a racial slur he didn't love" Paladino.

Why does NYC keep electing governors who screw the city? If NYC decided that they wanted some DSA candidate, not much upstate could do about it

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

gobbagool posted:

Why does NYC keep electing governors who screw the city? If NYC decided that they wanted some DSA candidate, not much upstate could do about it

The DSA hasn't really put anyone forth yet and they're focusing on more local govt right now. Like I posted earlier with El Yateem in Brooklyn. The Working Families Party (which is how I vote when given the opportunity) would be the ones to watch on challenging Cuomo from the left, but he's also tried his hardest to gently caress them over too. He's a shitstain so you'll get no argument from me there. And personally I prefer a governor who helps the whole state, not just NYC.

One of the problems with what Cuomo is doing in raiding the MTA coffers is that it's not a thing that only he has done. It should be in a lockbox, but he's too busy virtue signaling that he's going to fix the system by adding USB ports to a bus line in the bronx.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

gobbagool posted:

NYS Population: 19.7 million

NYC Population: 8.2 million.

51% of 19.7m: 9.85m

Upstate + Suburbs > NYC.

And that's before you get into the relative proportions of voting citizens.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Matt Zerella posted:

This is very accurate, as you should know.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

CaptainPsyko posted:

NYS Population: 19.7 million

NYC Population: 8.2 million.

51% of 19.7m: 9.85m

Upstate + Suburbs > NYC.

And that's before you get into the relative proportions of voting citizens.

Except upstate voted against Cuomo

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

gobbagool posted:

Except upstate voted against Cuomo

There's no electoral college in New York. Land doesn't have a vote.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

CaptainPsyko posted:

There's no electoral college in New York. Land doesn't have a vote.

But you can't blame upstate for Cuomo, as I've said multiple times in this very thread. He's your fault.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

gobbagool posted:

But you can't blame upstate for Cuomo, as I've said multiple times in this very thread. He's your fault.

I don't. I blame upstate for setting up the terrible "mother may I" situation that NYC finds itself in W/R/T doing anything that requires action in Albany, which is the enabling condition that allows Cuomo to be the massive shitheel that he is.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

gobbagool posted:

and other people have said multiple times that his active courting of upstate republicans and conservative democrats, as well as ones in westchester and long island, are why he gets to gently caress everyone over. no one is free from sin

also your response to my post tells me that you're someone who is well-off enough that you don't have to give a poo poo about the many people around you who aren't. that's worse than what i accused you of

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

gobbagool posted:

no. I work in NYC when I go to the office once every couple weeks. I live upstate and have a huge new house on a ton of land surrounded by hundreds of acres of nature preserve and forever wild. I'm not the target of Trumps comments. lots of people who once had good jobs in factories might be listening though. his comments were indelicate but not wrong.

Upstate goon party at your house! :dance:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

david cross owns a big house in sullivan county, doesn't he?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

david cross owns a big house in sullivan county, doesn't he?

I'm afraid I'm not really "in" with the rich and famous. :smith:

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'd love that. I have a 40 gallon barrel of cider I made from ancient trees on my lot, it's probably about 15% abv and tastes like vanilla apple heaven. one of my buddies does pig roasts and my 200 yard range is open for business.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

gobbagool posted:

I'd love that. I have a 40 gallon barrel of cider I made from ancient trees on my lot, it's probably about 15% abv and tastes like vanilla apple heaven. one of my buddies does pig roasts and my 200 yard range is open for business.

:aaaaa:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

gobbagool posted:

This sounds amazing

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

gobbagool posted:

Great, I'll bring the truckload of .22lr.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
CSPAM militia party it is!

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Buffalo built a $750m factory for Tesla to produce solar panels. The state owns the factory, but Tesla is only paying $1/year to lease it. It's widely thought that Tesla changed their mind about using the factory, as they haven't let anyone from the public inside of it since last autumn. This factory was supposed to be the crown jewel of Cuomo's START-UP NY project. I'm pretty sure everyone in Western NY has enough apathy to just not care about anything anymore.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Korthal posted:

Buffalo built a $750m factory for Tesla to produce solar panels. The state owns the factory, but Tesla is only paying $1/year to lease it. It's widely thought that Tesla changed their mind about using the factory, as they haven't let anyone from the public inside of it since last autumn. This factory was supposed to be the crown jewel of Cuomo's START-UP NY project. I'm pretty sure everyone in Western NY has enough apathy to just not care about anything anymore.

yeah that was a huge fleecing. empire zones are same. they paid Windstream millions of dollars to move from Karner rd in colonie to downtown Albany into an empire zone where they no longer had to pay taxes. as it was most of Windstream's revenue in this area came from the State of New York account. there was absolutely nothing to be gained by that except transferring money from NYS to Windstream. no new jobs or anything.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Start Up NY, at one point, only created a little more than 60 jobs. i can't imagine that it's broken triple digits

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
How are these "jobs" programs and business tax-breaks anything other then corruption?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Because it has startup in the name

Everybody loves startups :)

Apps :)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
At least we didn't get ripped off as bad as Foxconn is about to screw Wisconsin.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CaptainPsyko posted:

At least we didn't get ripped off as bad as Foxconn is about to screw Wisconsin.

Whats going on with Foxconn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

How are these "jobs" programs and business tax-breaks anything other then corruption?

someone gettin paid