Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
174 is a weird number. Is he assuming wild card and a playoff sweep? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Poque posted:

174 is a weird number. Is he assuming wild card and a playoff sweep? :thunk:

162 + 3 sweeps with him forgetting round 1 is best of 5 I guess. Or playoffs plus all star game!

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Turns out giving pitchers 7 year deals is bad???!!??!?

I'm worried that if I point out that the Max Scherzer contract is looking like a bargain at this point karma will re-align itself and his arm will fall off in the shower tomorrow.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/WheelerShow101/status/890962746564644864

Mike Matheny as manager almost makes me feel bad for Cards fans...

almost.

Mike Matheny has the communicative prowess of a passive aggressive text to you boyfriend.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

Matheny gonna take Yadier out back. Revenge for Yadier stealing his job.

I mean, most Cards fans are praying that Yadi steals his job again further down the road. I remember someone (I'll assume it was McCarver) lamenting players getting paid because it gave them enough financial security that they didn't have to come back and manage, specifically in the context of Yadi and future potential managerial work.

Also, despite Matheny being in admirable shape for his age, Yadi would ruin him. I distinctly remember Maheny not being able to hold Yadi back on his own after the ejection he earned for slamming his helmet after getting thrown out at first in, what, 2013? It was a few years ago, since Bengie was also on the staff and had to help Matheny restrain Yadi during his ragefest.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
How does the rest of the league feel about Yu Darvish. In Texas it's like there is an island of ranger fans who see how incredible he is, surrounded by a sea of idiot mouth breather who post poo poo like "Ace stuff not Ace tuff!" on their Facebook.

I just hope he goes somewhere that he is more appreciated.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

blarzgh posted:

How does the rest of the league feel about Yu Darvish. In Texas it's like there is an island of ranger fans who see how incredible he is, surrounded by a sea of idiot mouth breather who post poo poo like "Ace stuff not Ace tuff!" on their Facebook.

Selfish pitcher who throws a lot of strikeouts instead of inducing weak contact to go deeper into games

Send him to Houston for a song

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dodgers are accustomed to babying weak Asian pitchers so they'll take him off your hands and treat him real nice. He can settle in as the #3 and not worry about being "the guy" for a bunch of angry Texans

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

He'd be even lower stress in the Astros rotation as the fifth starter behind Keuchel, McCullers, Peacock and Mike "no hit the Dodgers" Fiers :getin:

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

No he should go to MY favorite team!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I can't stomach all this posting about which players fans of contenders want on their teams on this day three days out from the trading deadline

Also I really feel like the Astros are going to grab some B- bullpen lefty for a lottery ticket prospect and otherwise stand pat which is concerning

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

Selfish pitcher who throws a lot of strikeouts instead of inducing weak contact to go deeper into games

Send him to Houston for a song

Are you Randy Galloway?

(lovely, hot take DFW sportswriter, famously know for writing acolumn about what a mistake it would have been for the Mavs to draft Michael Jordan.)

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Darvish has pitched almost exactly to his career averages vs the Angels (and he has worse stats against the other 3 AL West teams), and that is typically a pretty good pitcher, but for whatever reason he doesn't make me "afraid". Like there are pitchers that you look at the schedule and go "aww poo poo, not winning this one", but for whatever reason Darvish isn't one of those guys I dread seeing the Angels face.

Like I'm terrified to face Iwakuma but not so much Felix.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

blarzgh posted:

Yu Darvish is fantastic. The only problems I have with him are as follows:

-he plays outside my time zone, so I rarely have the opportunity to watch his games
-I don't understand his Instagram posts' captions
-he is married to someone other than me

edit:

Intruder posted:

He'd be even lower stress in the Astros rotation as the fifth starter behind Keuchel, McCullers, Peacock and Mike "no hit the Dodgers" Fiers :getin:

Has something happened to Charlie Morton? :ohdear:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

blarzgh posted:

Are you Randy Galloway?

(lovely, hot take DFW sportswriter, famously know for writing acolumn about what a mistake it would have been for the Mavs to draft Michael Jordan.)

No but I'm intentionally referencing that sentiment that I guess was proliferated by him? It's been kind of a running gag over the last year or so

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

Yu Darvish is fantastic. The only problems I have with him are as follows:

-he plays outside my time zone, so I rarely have the opportunity to watch his games
-I don't understand his Instagram posts' captions
-he is married to someone other than me

edit:

Has something happened to Charlie Morton? :ohdear:

Pushed to the pen along with McHugh to allow the diva Darvish to remain in the rotation

Oh god I just remembered tonight is Keuchel night, he's finally back

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

No but I'm intentionally referencing that sentiment that I guess was proliferated by him? It's been kind of a running gag over the last year or so

No, I got it. I'm sure you enjoyed watching the Nolan Ryan departure from afar.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Marwin broke up Darvish's perfect game with a 2 out 9th inning single so I hope Marwin gives him a sheepish "sorry bro" if they become teammates

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
The Yankees shouldn't balk at giving up Florial or Mateo for Gray, right? No free agency for 2 more years for a potential front end rotation guy, I think that's a trade you have to make if possible.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

mikeraskol posted:

The Yankees shouldn't balk at giving up Florial or Mateo for Gray, right? No free agency for 2 more years for a potential front end rotation guy, I think that's a trade you have to make if possible.

I would give them up for Gray, preferably Mateo more than Florial. But supposedly Billy Beane is insisting for one of Gleyber Torres or Clint Frazier in addition to Florial/Mateo and more for Sonny Gray so gently caress that.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

ihatepants posted:

I would give them up for Gray, preferably Mateo more than Florial. But supposedly Billy Beane is insisting for one of Gleyber Torres or Clint Frazier in addition to Florial/Mateo and more for Sonny Gray so gently caress that.

Oh ok, yeah Torres or Frazier ain't happening.

Yankees fans would riot right now if you traded Frazier. I don't know anyone that's not in love with that dude.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

At least in Oakland he'd be allowed to grow out his glorious red locks

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Yu Darvish owns and is real good and I would take him on my team any time

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Los Angeles has a significant Persian community in addition to the Japanese-American community, so obviously Darvish would be most comfortable there.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
So apparently MLB has a cocaine problem, according to Huffington Post.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

It's really not surprising that the coke problem in MLB didn't fade away after the 80s; the inherently closed off nature of the clubhouse means players will keep their noses out of other guys' business

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

This would have never happened if they still allowed greenies

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

It's really not surprising that the coke problem in MLB didn't fade away after the 80s; the inherently closed off nature of the clubhouse means players will keep their noses out of other guys' business

Pun intended?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

It's a form of snow blindness.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I for one am shocked that rich young people use cocaine. As an added bonus, it can only be detected in your blood for 12-48 hours and in your urine for 2-4 days after using it.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
https://twitter.com/espn/status/890977697748406277

"The Dodgers are going to win the World Series this year." -Magic Johnson

:munch:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

"The Dodgers are going to win the World Series"

- Figurehead for ownership group of the Dodgers

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

Pushed to the pen along with McHugh to allow the diva Darvish to remain in the rotation

Oh god I just remembered tonight is Keuchel night, he's finally back

I expect a disappointing outing from Keuchel.

Correa out for 6 weeks, Springer officially on the 10-day DL, Astros waiting until the last minute to make a trade, shutout by the Phillies last night.

This is the beginning of the end, boys.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I expect a disappointing outing from Keuchel.

Correa out for 6 weeks, Springer officially on the 10-day DL, Astros waiting until the last minute to make a trade, shutout by the Phillies last night.

This is the beginning of the end, boys.

Two nights in a row without scoring any runs :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

https://twitter.com/espn/status/890977697748406277

"The Dodgers are going to win the World Series this year." -Magic Johnson

:munch:

I eagerly await the failure.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I don't dislike the Dodges, in fact I might even cheer for them depending who they're up against in the Post Season. But them having another Post Season meltdown after the huge season they've had so far would be pretty funny.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Magic Johnson is the king of overconfident proclamations. When the Lakers drafted Lonzo Ball he was talking about how they'll be putting his jersey in the rafters some day.

If you want a laugh, read his baseball tweets some time. He knows about as much about the sport as the average DodgerTalk caller.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N:

https://twitter.com/Joe_Davis/status/891066372310028288

V: Kersh gonna miss barely a couple weeks

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

hellickson is no longer a philly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Rushing Kershaw back sounds like an incredibly stupid idea though? Particularly when your team is currently sitting 40 loving games over .500 in July and is all but a lock for the post season? Like who gives a poo poo about how Kershaw feels, if his back is acting up again shut him the gently caress down for a month so you actually have a healthy and effective ace for the post season.

• Locked thread