Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

1989. Also they should put in Simple Minds' Don't You Forget About Me at the end of the movie. Then a final scene of Mike phoning Bill and the final words should be "It's back."

I'd like to thank the Academy...

I hope the soundtrack has a Fat Boys song about the events of the movie and that the actor playing It does some of the rapping in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

New trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKJmEC5ieOk

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Looks like my concerns were valid, and they're treating Pennywise like a slasher villain. That last shot is something out of an A Nightmare On Elm Street movie. Still, the more I see of the movie, the more surprised I am by how pretty it is. I'll be curious if the narrative side can match the strong visuals. Here's hoping, anyway.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nightmare on Elm Street rules and is a very good blueprint for an IT movie.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Let me clarify: the remake.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Man, I really hope we get to see the big birb.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Fart City posted:

Still, the more I see of the movie, the more surprised I am by how pretty it is.

That's cuz the cinematography is by Chung Chung-hoon, who's worked on most of if not all of Park Chan-wook's films.

Nroo fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 27, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I think the trailer looks great. I'm optimistically pumped!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Pennywise definitely gets up to plenty of slasher villain style shenanigans, so I don't think it's really meaningful that a trailer would focus on that aspect of him. Kinda tough to convey that he's an extradimensional, shapeshifting incubus in a 2 minute trailer.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Nroo posted:

That's cuz the cinematography is by Chung Chung-hoon, who's worked on most of if not all of Park Chan-wook's films.

That makes sense. From jump street it's been obvious that there was way more muscle behind the cinematography than in what could be considered it's contemporaries. The colors in particular really pop.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Fart City posted:

Looks like my concerns were valid, and they're treating Pennywise like a slasher villain. That last shot is something out of an A Nightmare On Elm Street movie. Still, the more I see of the movie, the more surprised I am by how pretty it is. I'll be curious if the narrative side can match the strong visuals. Here's hoping, anyway.

I think it looks fantastic and overall (Pennywise aside) really nails the visuals I had in my head when I read the book. loving movie looks exactly like how I pictured the town.

They have to do something different with PW than just copy what Curry did and I'm digging it. He looks loving scary to me. If they just went with the Bozo/Ronald McDonlad approach, it'd be like having Heath Ledger do another Jack Nicholson impression in TDK. Plus, we don't know what other forms PW might take. Could be a fake out and they're using the scary evil clown images for promotional purposes.

I'm down.

Already looks to be better than the TV series.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Nightmare on Elm Street rules and is a very good blueprint for an IT movie.

I mean the book is basically A Nightmare in Derry Township, just that the nightmare is every waking moment. And there’s a turtle.

On a different note: I don’t know how recently a lot of people have read the book, but only Georgie sees Pennywise as Bozo (and King suggests if he lived only two years longer Bozo would be Ronald McDonald instead), and only for a few seconds before he gets a closer, clearer look and begins to feel dread in his stomach about this clown in the sewer.

Everyone else remembers a clown with gigantic orange tufts of hair, orange buttons, blood red and impossibly white greasepaint, and those orange eyes. Or they never even see the clown, they see the Gill Man or a giant bird or their dead little brother or Paul Bunyan or a leper who wants to give you a blowjob. The balloons are probably the single consistent thing about Pennywise in the whole book.

(Speaking of which if you’re wondering what they’re replacing the transformed Pennywise things into for this version, they’re all hilariously up, plain as day, on the Wikipedia article for the character.)

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 27, 2017

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Too many jump scares.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

The Cameo posted:

I mean the book is basically A Nightmare in Derry Township, just that the nightmare is every waking moment. And there’s a turtle.

On a different note: I don’t know how recently a lot of people have read the book, but only Georgie sees Pennywise as Bozo (and King suggests if he lived only two years longer Bozo would be Ronald McDonald instead), and only for a few seconds before he gets a closer, clearer look and begins to feel dread in his stomach about this clown in the sewer.

Everyone else remembers a clown with gigantic orange tufts of hair, orange buttons, blood red and impossibly white greasepaint, and those orange eyes. Or they never even see the clown, they see the Gill Man or a giant bird or their dead little brother or Paul Bunyan or a leper who wants to give you a blowjob. The balloons are probably the single consistent thing about Pennywise in the whole book.

(Speaking of which if you’re wondering what they’re replacing the transformed Pennywise things into for this version, they’re all hilariously up, plain as day, on the Wikipedia article for the character.)

Gotta have the earth-turtle!

and I feel like since this has a much bigger budget than the TV movie, they can really explore the non-clown aspects of It, but bang for your buck, Penny wise is the best way to market the drat thing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

and I feel like since this has a much bigger budget than the TV movie, they can really explore the non-clown aspects of It, but bang for your buck, Penny wise is the best way to market the drat thing.

Holy poo poo. I just realized that it's July and I already know what the most popular Halloween costume is gonna be this year.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

Holy poo poo. I just realized that it's July and I already know what the most popular Halloween costume is gonna be this year.

That's easy.

Spiderman and Wonder Woman.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

That's easy.

Spiderman and Wonder Woman.

For sure. But I think we'll see an uptick in Pennywise masks.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

If nothing else The Gathering of the Juggalos will be slightly more horrifying than usual next year.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Fart City posted:

If nothing else The Gathering of the Juggalos will be slightly more horrifying than usual next year.

Is that possible?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

Is that possible?

I present to you the mental image of Violent J wearing Victorian-era bloomers.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

[quote="“TheBigBudgetSequel”" post="“474780892”"]
Gotta have the earth-turtle!

[/quote]

I cannot tell if you are going for a pun there.

But yeah, you definitely want to sell the movie based on the most iconic thing from it, and Pennywise The Dancing Clown is very clearly the iconography that has stuck from it for 30 years. That and the sewer grate from the hardcover.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

It would be nice if a single one of these trailers could go without BLARING LOUD OBNOXIOUS MUSIC every time a spooky thing appears. If the movie does the same thing it's gonna be terrible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Is that possible?

I actually think juggalos dressing as a known character from pop culture would make it less disturbing than it currently is. Anyway, the disturbing part is that they're all constantly sweating profusely into their jean shorts for days at a time while multiple layers of faygo slowly dry on their skin and create a sickly sweet smelling BO cloud that engulfs the entire area for miles around.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I actually think juggalos dressing as a known character from pop culture would make it less disturbing than it currently is. Anyway, the disturbing part is that they're all constantly sweating profusely into their jean shorts for days at a time while multiple layers of faygo slowly dry on their skin and create a sickly sweet smelling BO cloud that engulfs the entire area for miles around.

"We all float in Lake Hepatitis"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Fart City posted:

I present to you the mental image of Violent J wearing Victorian-era bloomers.

loving kids, how do they float

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I LOVE the direction and visuals, but I hate how every tense moment is met with *SCARY SOUND* in the trailer. I really hope the film relies less on gimmicks, but otherwise I'm hypedddddd. They even have the creepy pharmacist :swoon:

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
The only clown I'm afraid of is the one in the Oval Office.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure every single horror movie trailer since 2004 has done the loud noises thing so it's pretty dumb to hold it against the movie.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

davidspackage posted:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

davidspackage posted:

Hi, my name is Fart City and I would like to nominate this for new threat title.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

somnambulist posted:

I LOVE the direction and visuals, but I hate how every tense moment is met with *SCARY SOUND* in the trailer. I really hope the film relies less on gimmicks, but otherwise I'm hypedddddd. They even have the creepy pharmacist :swoon:

I'm assuming that's trailer stuff.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

somnambulist posted:

I still don't like that Pennywise looks like a loving chipmunk but hey, if millennials find chipmunks scary so be it.

Jokes aside, it doesn't feel like an IT trailer at all but if this was a generic slasher movie I would be impressed by how good the cinematography is. The scary sound stuff seems obligatory trailer stuff I suppose? I still have hopes.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
This is the best trailer by far, but it's kinda despite Pennywise. I'll watch it.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Looks cool you guys.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Why hello, Tim Curry's Pennywise

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Are they gonna do the gang bang scene

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Yea, they put out a "inside look at the gang bang" featurette a few weeks ago, you didn't see it?

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Getting even more keen to see this, love the new trailer.
They really seem to nail Derry being off and that's a great sign for the movie as a whole I think.
I could be mistaken, but the mini series didn't really do much with that? It's been awhile.

The new Pennywise really sticks with me; it scares me and it's slowly replacing my childhood's fear of Tim Curry. :)

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Phi230 posted:

I hope when the movie comes out all of the discussion focuses on whether they should have included the gang bang after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Why hello, Tim Curry's Pennywise

Awesome, nice find.

• Locked thread