Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I would literally blow it out my rear end before giving up garlic or peppers or cured meats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
the ramen packet has different emulsifiers because they cheaped out
sodium citrate is the god of cheese emulsification
just do it
tiny amount, little pinch, it will emulsify like gangbusters

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

DariusLikewise posted:

I boil the noodles in water, then drain all the water, then just mix the powder pack with straight noodles, much better that way.

:yeah:

Only cup noodles get to be a soup-thing.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
98% of people studied were not properly emulsified. Sodium citrate is the new Super Food.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

or maybe y'know, don't eat gross ramen

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

spankmeister posted:

You'd like it, just put some mayo on it :v:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

spankmeister posted:

after eating ramen at really good ramen shops, I feel even more shame eating 10c ramens at home

I didn't think this was possible, but here we are

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

spankmeister posted:

I recognize these words, but I don't know what they mean.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

after eating ramen at really good ramen shops, I feel even more shame eating 10c ramens at home

My only experience with a ramen shop put an overpowering amount of bonito on everything including their vegetarian special

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My girlfriend has the FODMAP issue. The biggest problem is that everyone with it has different things that affect them. Lots of those people can't have garlic but for her it was fine. It's a fairly recent discovery and people are still trying to figure out what's what.

And it's not so much a debilitating thing (like a gluten allergy) as a dietary annoyance. Certain things won't digest properly and lead to all kinds of gastrointestinal woes.

All that aside, she would put in the effort to read the menu and only order stuff she knew was fine, with maybe a change; salmon without the glaze that contained garlic for example. If she ate or ordered something she shouldn't have, she ate it anyway.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Yes, exactly. Do your own research and ask, don't hand the server a list of poo poo you can't eat. They're not your babysitter.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Got a visit from someone with non allergy food intolerance (aka picky eater) at the restaurant today!

She's probly going to get a glass of water.

Holy loving hell. If I were working the front desk at that restaurant I'd just tell them we're not honoring their reservation to save myself the headache of having to plan a special meal with the chef who probably wouldn't even do it anyway. This is of course assuming that they provided this document in advance when making the reservation and didn't just show up with it in hand and expected a customized three-course menu with no advance notice.

There's such a bizarre sense of entitlement with some people at restaurants. You do not have the right to get exactly what you want, on demand, wherever you go. If you're humble, understanding and friendly, restaurants will accommodate you as best as they can. But if you have such serious dietary restrictions you'll be much better served by looking at the menu in advance and figuring out what the easiest, most low-impact modifications you can ask to make are. Or just fuckin' eat at home and go out for drinks after! gently caress!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

poop dood posted:

just show up with it in hand and expected a customized three-course menu with no advance notice.

They gave us until tomorrow night. They don't want to pay extra or anything, just go ahead and make a 3 course menu special for them during the busiest part our busiest night.

We told them to go gently caress themselves.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

not me. in my mind they're separated. there's the good ramen, the actual ramen. Then there's the Brick Noodles.

I still love both. chicken flavored brick noodle ramen is a nostalgia trip for me. Ah, college.

that said, leave the goddamn broth in you heathens.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Got a visit from someone with non allergy food intolerance (aka picky eater) at the restaurant today!

She's probly going to get a glass of water.

No onions or garlic? They can gently caress off.

We told them to go gently caress themselves.

Good, one day lead time for that nonsense is BS. They're the picky whiny eater type, doubtful it's anything real. If it IS, then it's their own fault for not giving sufficient time.

Mercedes Colomar has a new favorite as of 04:36 on Jul 29, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

hello thread I saw this at the store earlier and thought of you

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

The good old days, when the cookbooks were telling you to just throw some random canned poo poo together and call it a meal.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

hello thread I saw this at the store earlier and thought of you

I can just feel the warm comfortable feeling of making GBS threads my brains out.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Haifisch posted:

The good old days, when the cookbooks were telling you to just throw some random canned poo poo together and call it a meal.

2 jars of boned chicken.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Zenithe posted:

2 jars of boned chicken.

If I don't have any can I bone them myself? :henget:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

What's a "No. 2 can" of pineapple slices?

What does a jar of chicken look like? :stare:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

What's a "No. 2 can" of pineapple slices?

What does a jar of chicken look like? :stare:

:nms:

:nms:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
drat... if that's a No. 2 can of pineapple I don't want to see what a No. 1 can looks like

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

drat... if that's a No. 2 can of pineapple I don't want to see what a No. 1 can looks like

Then why are you even here?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Haifisch posted:

I know the recipe is cut off on the right side but lol at heating things just occasionally

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Samizdata posted:

Then why are you even here?

I dunno, I'd say their username fits

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:nws: https://i.imgur.com/k1Slq3c.jpg :nws:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Realistic

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Very rarely do I see a cake that someone obviously spent both way too little on and WAY too much on at the same time. Jesus Christ :stonk:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

I dunno, I'd say their username fits

Eh, I guess. I am here for all the horrors cuisine and history can show me. :unsmigghh:

(I really wish there was a Pinhead smiley. And in case I am mistaken and there is, substitute it up there.)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Samizdata posted:

Eh, I guess. I am here for all the horrors cuisine and history can show me. :unsmigghh:

(I really wish there was a Pinhead smiley. And in case I am mistaken and there is, substitute it up there.)
There's :cenobite: , at least.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

They gave us until tomorrow night.

:haw:

They don't want to pay extra or anything

:cawg:

You guys and gals made the right choice when you told them to gently caress off.

Give me a week's notice and I'll probably agree to do what I can with what I'll have on-hand that night, especially if you're polite about it and don't send me what looks like a list of demands sent to police in a hostage situation, typed in loving Notepad.

Give me a month's notice and I'll bend over backwards to get it done to your liking, even if you don't have an allergy/intolerance issue and really just aren't fond of onions or guac or whatever. Just be honest and it's no big.

This poo poo, though, is wholesale unacceptable. The day before an oh-so-important event and you're just now bringing me a litany of nonsensical but assuredly completely medically justified demands requests? You must not have a marijuana allergy because you are high as gently caress if you think this is gonna fly.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You must not have a marijuana allergy because you are high as gently caress if you think this is gonna fly.

:thurman:

This line is so specific to the situation, but damned if I'm not keeping it in my pocket for that Special Occasion.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So

What are the Chances of person actually having something that actually requires a FODMAP diet

E:
Just searched AIP protocol
First google site turns up "paleomom.com"

Yeah this persons full of poo poo.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 12:42 on Jul 29, 2017

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So

What are the Chances of person actually having something that actually requires a FODMAP diet

E:
Just searched AIP protocol
First google site turns up "paleomom.com"

Yeah this persons full of poo poo.

On the topic of food fad bullshit, if anyone hasn't seen the Katering show you need to check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J55vgxNaaBY

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Haifisch posted:

I'm the 1/2 tsp sage, wondering what mistake led me here.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Haifisch posted:

when i moved away from home my mom bought me a cookbook called "a man, a can, a plan". every recipe involved mostly canned stuff. it was a nice mom-gesture, but thankfully i discovered very early on that im not THAT much of a goon and actually enjoy vegetables and cooking things from scratch :)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rigged Death Trap posted:

2% at best. I cook at a hospital, we get someone with ACTUAL gluten allergies like, once a month. But every other day or so we'll get "quesadilla, no vegetables" because they're picky fuckers who don't like good things.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lutha Mahtin posted:

when i moved away from home my mom bought me a cookbook called "a man, a can, a plan". every recipe involved mostly canned stuff. it was a nice mom-gesture, but thankfully i discovered very early on that im not THAT much of a goon and actually enjoy vegetables and cooking things from scratch :)

Yeah, when I was first starting to learn to cook, I did everything in a slow cooker (things meant for one, I wasn't trying to make pizza and poo poo in there). After like a year, I had developed enough skills to just cook normallly,,and now I only break it out for stews or chili.

Though one I time I tried to make steak in there (for the 2012 election). Lets just say I ended up drinking half a handle of vodka on an empty stomach that night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Pastry of the Year posted:

Here's the recipe. Go for it!

This recipe book has one problem that was rampant back then: incomplete ingredient lists. Included in the process section are butter, parsley, hollandaise sauce, and strawberries. The first two are ok, but gently caress you cookbook for throwing "make hollandaise sauce" at me halfway through. Cookbooks would pull that poo poo all the time.

That said, I totally would.