Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I like Stellaris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't like Stellaris :(

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Baronjutter posted:

:same:

On release it was Sengoku-tier with excellent presentation, now it's March of the Eagles-tier with excellent presentation.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I think it's just ok

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It's ok; I just mostly think that it's a shame that Martin & co are making it more like EUIV rather than CK2 or even its own thing.

Now it's just, there. A lotta promise not really realized.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I would like Stellaris more if it used more than one CPU core.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Baronjutter posted:

Can't wait for your fevered "this game is finally good now!!" posts when 1.8 approaches, like for the last major expansions.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
There's only been one major expansion and it was pretty good and fixed a lot of my problems with the government and pop systems. My only big problems with Stellaris are that the combat is awful and warfare in general is totally tedious. And unfortunately I'm skeptical that they'll ever fix the latter. There are a lot of cool and interesting things about Stellaris and it is getting better, but it just sucks to actually play.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
stellaris isnt even as good as eu4

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

da beeper king BABY posted:

There's only been one major expansion and it was pretty good and fixed a lot of my problems with the government and pop systems. My only big problems with Stellaris are that the combat is awful and warfare in general is totally tedious. And unfortunately I'm skeptical that they'll ever fix the latter. There are a lot of cool and interesting things about Stellaris and it is getting better, but it just sucks to actually play.
This and tile management are why I will never ever install it again. They already got $40 out of me when I ignored my mis-givings and bought it anyway... I'm not putting any more time or money into the game while the combat sucks and I have to manage individual pops, especially if I have to manage individual pops on individual tiles where I have to manage individual buildings.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This and tile management are why I will never ever install it again. They already got $40 out of me when I ignored my mis-givings and bought it anyway... I'm not putting any more time or money into the game while the combat sucks and I have to manage individual pops, especially if I have to manage individual pops on individual tiles where I have to manage individual buildings.

Yeah from what I see there's a bunch of cool politics stuff but why play when both the combat and the economy are boring and frustrating

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
For me the pop management is not horrible, but that may only be because if it weren't there you would have nothing to do most of the time. But I don't mind it. At this point I'll probably still buy future expansions once they go on sale. I hope they can at some point try to rework some of the fundamental design decisions that are holding the game back, but that's not really the usual expansion MO. I really wonder how long a life Stellaris will have. It seems to be popular enough if only due to the popular yearning for space 4X's, but I would be disappointed to see PDS resources tied up in it for two or more years longer.

I'm at a low point of excitement for Paradox right now. Eu4 is really starting to creak under all the expansion features, ck2 is winding down soon, hoi4 is good but the expansions have been good but underwhelming, and Stellaris continues to disappoint. The sooner they announce Vicky 3 the better imo, even if it's still a couple years away.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I don't like hoi4

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

It's OK

It just doesn't have the replayability of the other games to me. Can only fight ww2 so many ways

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I also like HOI4

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Why do you guys think that Stellaris warfare is so awful

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A big reason is because they decided to include a ship designer. Ship designers suck! Actually designing ships is mostly pointless busywork, but since the player has the ability to pull all the design levers you've given them, that puts big constraints on what you can do with the combat system. Oh, and then by deciding to model combat accurately in real time, they made it really hard on themselves to achieve any sort of high-level design goals as to how warfare should play out - all they can really do is futz with low-level numbers and hope whatever high-level result emerges is to their liking.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Farecoal posted:

its stuck in the wierd zone where it has both too much ship building and not enough. It has components, but the ship battles play out more or less the same way and the AI system for ships makes a lot of the weapon choices more or less cosmetic. If it went full on Star Ruler 2 with ship building and let you set behavoirs for individual ship classes it'd work a lot better. Alternately get rid of ship builing entirely and have descrete ship classes that get stat improvements from research. Even better, go late 19th century naval arms race with it so you have a limit to how much you can upgrade an already built ship so your stuck replacing older vessels while trying not to reduce your navy by too much.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

eu4 isn't as good as ftg :(

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jabor posted:

A big reason is because they decided to include a ship designer. Ship designers suck! Actually designing ships is mostly pointless busywork, but since the player has the ability to pull all the design levers you've given them, that puts big constraints on what you can do with the combat system. Oh, and then by deciding to model combat accurately in real time, they made it really hard on themselves to achieve any sort of high-level design goals as to how warfare should play out - all they can really do is futz with low-level numbers and hope whatever high-level result emerges is to their liking.
Adding to this, the "real time combat" is essentially an EU4 battle with a tiny bit of player input allowed - except for when you actually want it, leaving the player fully aware of how much the AI is loving up and frustrated because they're not allowed to interfere anymore. Keeping warfare "simulated" at the tactical level and giving the player more to do at the strategic level would probably feel a lot better to a lot of people. As in having very different types of militaries for example, resulting in different play styles for different types of empires - and different play styles when faced with an empire with a very different approach to warfare.

Some empires might favor blockading/space superiority, while others are all about quickly assaulting and digging in. These can then be further divided into empires which are more into unstoppable juggernaut kinda fleets, the same but also really into pummeling planets flat, and ones that are really into more flexible raiding fleets, and for assault-militaries, ones that favor quick precision strikes that preserve infrastructure/pops, more indiscriminate assaults, or the infection route of actually making the planet essentially a lost cause for the enemy.

All of that would I think give much more character to the different empires than some using lasers and others missiles.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Ground combat really shouldn't be in the game. Armies are the worst part of Stellaris warfare.

Jabor posted:

I think a ship designer can work, but the way it works in Stellaris it feels like there's too much micro, to the point where I'm overwhelmed by choice. Incrimental upgrades also do not feel particularly meaningful, and a lot of good design feels like a counterintuitive mess that's the result of pure number-crunching.

Things that I want in a ship designer:
  • Every update that the game compels me to make should feel big, meaningful, and impactful.
  • The player should be able to intuitively understand the strengths and weaknesses of a design.
  • The player should be able to tailor ship design around their playstyle and preferences and be competitive (within reason).

I think a decent way of going on about it would be if you removed/abstracted the individual slot components and focused more on the ship sections. Expand the number of sections in each type of ship a bit and give me 5 or 8 choices for each section, and I think you can get a decent mix-and-match ship design system that neither feels too simplistic nor too complicated.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

stellaris should let me automate the things i dont care about, like distant worlds (or hoi3)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

corn in the bible posted:

stellaris should let me automate the things i dont care about, like distant worlds (or hoi3)

Unfortunately the mods to automate things in Stellaris dumpster the CPU.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Ground combat really shouldn't be in the game. Armies are the worst part of Stellaris warfare.
Come on, the idea was clearly that the whole system should be redesigned from the ground up. Just make land warfare a thing fleets can do, integrated into a general "Let's take care of this planet/system" interface, covering blockades, bombardments, and assaults.

YF-23 posted:

I think a ship designer can work, but the way it works in Stellaris it feels like there's too much micro, to the point where I'm overwhelmed by choice. Incrimental upgrades also do not feel particularly meaningful, and a lot of good design feels like a counterintuitive mess that's the result of pure number-crunching.

Things that I want in a ship designer:
  • Every update that the game compels me to make should feel big, meaningful, and impactful.
  • The player should be able to intuitively understand the strengths and weaknesses of a design.
  • The player should be able to tailor ship design around their playstyle and preferences and be competitive (within reason).

I think a decent way of going on about it would be if you removed/abstracted the individual slot components and focused more on the ship sections. Expand the number of sections in each type of ship a bit and give me 5 or 8 choices for each section, and I think you can get a decent mix-and-match ship design system that neither feels too simplistic nor too complicated.
I do agree with this, and think it could work perfectly well with my above suggestion. The various sections would basically be defined by their overall type, be it Combat/Bombardment/Assault (and possibly Science/Medical), allowing you to tailor your ships for the strategic role they'd serve. Within a given type, you could then have a bunch of variants that emphasize different approaches - one assault section allowing Decapitation Strikes, which result in minimal infrastructure/pop damage while taking a planet, another which allows Mass Assaults which do a lot more damage but are also much harder to uproot afterward, and so on. Give each section type a clear strategic purpose, and each variant a clear tactical purpose, and I think you come a long way toward making the ship designer feel relevant - since you'd be designing for the actual level at which you the player can control things.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

turn off the TV posted:

I would like Stellaris more if it used more than one CPU core.
All of Paradox's games already use multiple cores as much as possible. It's very very tricky to multithread things when you have to maintain perfect sync for multiplayer.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Sindai posted:

All of Paradox's games already use multiple cores as much as possible. It's very very tricky to multithread things when you have to maintain perfect sync for multiplayer.
Johan screws things up again.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Sindai posted:

He's trolling Groogy :ssh:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Farecoal posted:

There are two main parts of it that are awful:
1.) Strategic Warfare: The base game includes three kinds of FTL travel that a race can use, which is decided at race generation before game start. Each race is restricted to one of these types and cannot use more than one on their ships. This makes strategic warfare a major headache regardless of what type of FTL you are using because your enemy can faff about and gently caress with you whenever and wherever they want, which just leads to frustration. You can build stationary defense stations in systems which act as a magnet for incoming fleets, however these stations are either made out of tissue paper and melt immediately, or prohibitively expensive.

2.) Tactical Warfare: This one needs a list.
  • Combat is designed by Paradox to be a lame version of Rock/Paper/Scissors and it is bad at it, in part because...
  • :siren:The player has zero control of their ships once they "enter combat":siren:, which is like a switch flipping once an enemy comes into combat range, which has almost nothing to do with your weapons' ranges. The ships start moving profoundly slower and get into a loose formation/combat stance that you dictate for the fleet as a whole, regardless of the combat role of individual ships (which is dictated by the first point's R/P/S system).
  • Mining and Research stations are fitted with like...one lovely weapon, thus making them participate in combat even if they will get completely obliterated. This causes point two to trigger - your whole fleet stops moving, ignores orders because they entered combat, and takes forever to destroy one mining station because it takes forever to get in weapon range once you enter combat range.

Thats all I have the effort to post, really. It goes deeper but eh, not worth my time.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Here's a multiplayer game that's actually offloading its work to more than one core:

Saying "but it's hard!" isn't a good excuse to then go ahead and design the game in such a way that it can easily overwhelm even the strongest CPU in regular gameplay.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Paradox has been on a bad streak with Stellaris and HoI4

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah from what I see there's a bunch of cool politics stuff but why play when both the combat and the economy are boring and frustrating

The politics stuff was underwhelming (at least at release), since most factions are insanely easy to please and the ones that aren't never generated enough unrest to make the player to care about them.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
What I wanted: CK2 in Space
What would have been great: Victoria 2 in Space
What I got: Inferior EUIV in Space

It's such a shame too, because there is a genuine joy in parts (everyone loves early-game exploring!) but it just, doesn't stay good...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Counterpoint: Stellaris is extremely cool & good.
Evidence in support of the above: I have 768 hours in Stellaris.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mister Adequate posted:

I've forwarded this to the authorities so they can give you the proper help you need, friend.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The game they should've cribbed the combat system from is HOI IV, except make it even more abstracted so there is no ship builder and all I do is plan offensives.

No, I have no idea how this would work.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Communist Walrus posted:

The game they should've cribbed the combat system from is HOI IV, except make it even more abstracted so there is no ship builder and all I do is plan offensives.

Leaning even further into the silly side of space empires sounds like a good plan. Just imagine the poor admiral told to to create a 10k light year long front line to prevent enemies from entering your space space. Going "above" or "below" this front line would be a very advanced and rare tactic.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Mister Adequate posted:

:yossame:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Communist Walrus posted:

yeah. ship builders in space 4xs suck rear end 99% of the time, stellaris included.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Communist Walrus posted:

you assign income to a front which fills it with abstracted ships and armies which then advance to a series of systems you designated as a goal. every unit of income assign a strength value to the abstracted ships and armies with technology improving the amount you get per income/reducing the amount of income needed. Fronts have a slot for one admiral and one general who provide bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I have become dead inside, I do no longer have enough life in my soul to muster the energy needed to rant about how someone is wrong on the internet anymore.
It is a dreadful existence.

turn off the TV posted:

Here's a multiplayer game that's actually offloading its work to more than one core:

Saying "but it's hard!" isn't a good excuse to then go ahead and design the game in such a way that it can easily overwhelm even the strongest CPU in regular gameplay.

There is tons of stuff that is done in parallel. I've already covered the model that we utilize at Paradox before like 10 times and don't feel like covering it again. What you are viewing is not "multiplayer being threaded" or even evidence that those threads are even doing anything since they could just be spinning threads to keep them alive and ready for tasks to do something which is a common thing to do. Either way an FPS and a Grand Strategy have vastly different problems to solve when it comes to parallelism. And on network FPS game usually don't sync delta's like us over network because their game state is usually not too big to actually transfer in a couple of messages like in our games. Most of the time they can sync the entire state of the game every single tick, which is also why you see stuff like in CSGO, Battlefield where tick rate on servers etc are super important.

But sorry, don't mean to insult your excellent backseat programming skills. Of course we can put in more effort to offload more work to the other cores, there's a lot running on the single thread that should theoretically have a good "return-of-investment" for parallelization and be capable of being ensured in order of operation so it doesn't cause OOS. (since computers A & B will not be guaranteed that their threads will have equal amount of operation time between themselves even if they do same work because of OS scheduler) And we do have projects in pipeline experimenting how we can do more on several cores.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 31, 2017