Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

This looks good, the i5 8600k could be very interesting but it will all depend on how they price them and how much OC headroom they will have. Turbo clocks for the Ks look already very high...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
So when can I get a 6 core / 12 thread i7 laptop?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The more interesting thing is that it doesn't say LGA1151v2.

I also find it very strange that we haven't seen any 300-series board image leaks yet. What if Intel said "gently caress it" and they're waiting for the Z390 with Cannonlake?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 30, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

fishmech posted:

So when can I get a 6 core / 12 thread i7 laptop?

Intel: "Never but can I interest you in a 6 core ivybridge xeon laptop. Some crazy people made those"

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Those TDPs and or clocks look like bullshit.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
8700k with 16 pcie lanes right?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Prescription Combs posted:

8700k with 16 pcie lanes right?

16 (or 2x8) for graphics, assume 24 additional via the PCH (same as Kaby Lake and Z270 - Skylake had 16+20). I somehow doubt they'll match base mode Sky-X @ 28 lanes or why in the hell does the 7800X exist at all? Again, we have to actually see a Z370 board first.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The rumors are that Z370 is just a rebadged Z270, and Z390 isnt launching yet.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cygni posted:

The rumors are that Z370 is just a rebadged Z270, and Z390 isnt launching yet.

Well, obviously - Z390 is specced for Cannonlake. I'm just perplexed, because if Intel had decided against going with LGA1151V2 for Coffee Lake, you'd think they'd be crowing about their generosity with regards to giving the prior generation a hell of an upgrade path and yadda, yadda, yadda.

They definitely need the good press, and it's not like anyone's really going "gee, should I buy that piece-of-crap 7800X and the super-expensive motherboard that goes with it, or wait for the much cheaper and just-as-good-on-paper 6C/12T Coffee Lake?"

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Intel doesn't need good press, just good bribes :smug:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The 24 lanes via the PCH are rather homeopathic. People keep saying that running graphics at 8x makes a negligible difference, that's not something everyone wants to settle for. Put NVMe on the PCH and there isn't much bandwidth left for other stuff. 10GbE is about to get popular, and seems like every power user has a NAS, guess how that'll work together. I wonder if Intel goes wider the next general release, or if more lanes will continue to be a HEDT thing.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

The 24 lanes via the PCH are rather homeopathic. People keep saying that running graphics at 8x makes a negligible difference, that's not something everyone wants to settle for. Put NVMe on the PCH and there isn't much bandwidth left for other stuff. 10GbE is about to get popular, and seems like every power user has a NAS, guess how that'll work together. I wonder if Intel goes wider the next general release, or if more lanes will continue to be a HEDT thing.

Yah, need lanes for SSDs and such, too.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Tom's Hardware did a decent article for the 100-series explaining just how much you had left over lane-wise (PCIe and HSIO) a while back: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-100-series-hsio-chipset,30210.html

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Everything on the PCH gets funnelled over only four PCIe lanes, though, whose speed depends on chipset generation. Thus why I called it homeopathic.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, obviously - Z390 is specced for Cannonlake. I'm just perplexed, because if Intel had decided against going with LGA1151V2 for Coffee Lake, you'd think they'd be crowing about their generosity with regards to giving the prior generation a hell of an upgrade path and yadda, yadda, yadda.

They definitely need the good press, and it's not like anyone's really going "gee, should I buy that piece-of-crap 7800X and the super-expensive motherboard that goes with it, or wait for the much cheaper and just-as-good-on-paper 6C/12T Coffee Lake?"
the bookkeeping side of things seems to suffer a massive case of Dunning-Kruger if the rumor mills are worth anything

Would explain a lot of recent decisions quite obviously not done by engineers

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

PerrineClostermann posted:

:smith:

eames
May 9, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

a massive case of Dunning-Kruger

recent decisions quite obviously not done by engineers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnhXIL_E_Vc&t=213s

Can't beat that sexy 2.6 GHz base clock at $1999

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

idk an 18 core cpu with a 4ghz+ turbo is pretty drat impressive. the 18 and 20 core Xeon's with the same silicon all cap out at 3.7 turbos and cost a whole lot more. and Epyc caps out at 3.2 turbo, with lower IPC.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
how many cores go to 4 ghz?

eames
May 9, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

how many cores go to 4 ghz?

two if I understand those footnotes correctly.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

PerrineClostermann posted:

If there's anything we've learnt, it's definitely that.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
If the leaked specs are to be believed, the 8700k looks... good? 6 cores at good clocks and 4.7gHz single core performance. Or am I missing something? Will cannon lake offer something fundamentally better?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Its going to be gimped as gently caress due to intel not soldering their loving ihs on

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Cygni posted:

idk an 18 core cpu with a 4ghz+ turbo is pretty drat impressive. the 18 and 20 core Xeon's with the same silicon all cap out at 3.7 turbos and cost a whole lot more. and Epyc caps out at 3.2 turbo, with lower IPC.

That is epyc, threadripper base clock is 3.4 with a boost to 3.9? So you aren't really comparing the differant chips correctly. Because you can go up to 32 cores on a single socket epyc but only 16 with threadripper.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Scarecow posted:

Its going to be gimped as gently caress due to intel not soldering their loving ihs on

If this thing is basically just six kaby lake cores in the same package, we're talking 50% more heat output. Going to be trouble. Delidding will continue to be popular! I have the tool for 1155/1151 so I expect it will work for these chips.

If Intel has given us a 6-core chip that can clock to 5ghz with Skylake's IPC (as opposed to Skylake-X's regression) then I am all over that poo poo. edit: especially if I can still use my z170 motherboard.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 30, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'd figure Coffee Lake would still use the ring bus.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

wargames posted:

That is epyc, threadripper base clock is 3.4 with a boost to 3.9? So you aren't really comparing the differant chips correctly. Because you can go up to 32 cores on a single socket epyc but only 16 with threadripper.

I compared to Epyc because TR doesn't go to 18/20 cores (and we are pretty sure the 20 core model is coming eventually). Although it's gonna be fun to see the meh launch X299 boards try to deliver 18/20 cores worth of power at those frequencies.

Though none of us are buying these dumb things anyway.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Evidently TRs *are* EPYC chips with eight cores hard-disabled.

https://www.techpowerup.com/235571/amd-ryzen-threadripper-delidded-its-epyc

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Evidently TRs *are* EPYC chips with eight cores hard-disabled.

https://www.techpowerup.com/235571/amd-ryzen-threadripper-delidded-its-epyc

they use epyc layout but aren't 2 that are disable just junk dies that never worked and they need the space to be filled for stability?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

wargames posted:

they use epyc layout but aren't 2 that are disable just junk dies that never worked and they need the space to be filled for stability?

But supposedly amd is getting fantastic yields with zeppelin dies. Maybe the yields are *so* good they can afford to completely waste some dies?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

wargames posted:

VostokProgram posted:

But supposedly amd is getting fantastic yields with zeppelin dies. Maybe the yields are *so* good they can afford to completely waste some dies?

It's also possible that the extra two dies are unprocessed silicon spacers, instead of disabled or defective zeppelins. :shrug:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3211409/computers/why-ryzen-threadripper-has-two-mysterious-chips.html

PC World posted:

So did AMD really waste two perfectly good “Zeppelin” dies? Nope.

Those other two “chips” are nothing more than spacers to help maintain the structural integrity of the gigantic heat spreader, PCWorld has learned from a source who declined to be identified.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

VostokProgram posted:

Even if they got 100% yields, they wouldn't use untested dies to stop a heatspreader bending.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Even if they got 100% yields, they wouldn't use untested dies to stop a heatspreader bending.
unprocessed silicon at that thickness is also like 20 cents and they don't even have to be precise cutting it so even using wasted dies is a cost negative compared to using microglass

but they COULD be total bum dies, since TR doesn't seem to be a high volume product in any case

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Intel really would just fill the space with glue.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Intel really would just fill the space with glue.

*ahem* High stability thermal interface.

So stable it doesn't fuckin conduct heat.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Do even the xeons come with glue now? I can't imagine data center customers are happy with chips that run hot for completely avoidable reasons

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

VostokProgram posted:

Do even the xeons come with glue now? I can't imagine data center customers are happy with chips that run hot for completely avoidable reasons
they're only being sold to cloud providers until like october i believe so we won't be able to find out till then because i figure there are ~NDAs~ attached to what's currently being sold

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I guess I never thought about it but I am more limited by PCI lanes than CPU cores. 4 seems fine for %95 of my uses but I have huge PCIe needs. Cards:

RX480 - 16x
(another RX 480) - 16x
Intel NVMe 750 - 4x
Sound card - 1x
RAID controller - 4 or 8x
10g Ethernet - 4x or 8x
So for my system right now I need 45 lanes and have 24 :(

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redeyes posted:

I guess I never thought about it but I am more limited by PCI lanes than CPU cores. 4 seems fine for %95 of my uses but I have huge PCIe needs. Cards:

RX480 - 16x
(another RX 480) - 16x
Intel NVMe 750 - 4x
Sound card - 1x
RAID controller - 4 or 8x
10g Ethernet - 4x or 8x
So for my system right now I need 45 lanes and have 24 :(

then there's exciting news for you in the other thread

well, really just news that will annoy you about intel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

then there's exciting news for you in the other thread

well, really just news that will annoy you about intel.

Yeah I know. Intel is sucking rear end. Back in the day I used to have my systems totally full of PCI expansions cards (and ISA for that matter)

Truth is I have a really hard time trusting AMD's platforms. I have had the worst experiences ever with unstable / prematurely dieing stuff. To the point I bought only Pentium 4's when AMD was killing them in IPC. Yeah PENTIUMS.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 31, 2017