Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Phi230 posted:

Are they gonna do the gang bang scene

It's gonna be the stinger after the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Fart City posted:

They're going to have a clock in the lower right hand corner, counting down to the scene.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I think it looks great so far. My only concern is his voice, it's a sharp departure from what I am used to for that actor and that's fine. I just can't handle it though if he's trying to be Judge Doom.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
The director said they aren't showing pennywise much until the last 3rd of the movie and they are emphasizing the shapeshifting (and he'll have more than one voice).

http://collider.com/it-movie-spoilers-things-to-know

So who knows what that means.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Spite posted:

The director said they aren't showing pennywise much until the last 3rd of the movie and they are emphasizing the shapeshifting (and he'll have more than one voice).

http://collider.com/it-movie-spoilers-things-to-know

So who knows what that means.

It means he's a lying liar because the movie is a slasher flick about a clown

:goonsay:

But serious post I'm super excited to see this and I really wish I could get the girlfriend to go but she refuses.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Acht posted:

The new Pennywise really sticks with me; it scares me and it's slowly replacing my childhood's fear of Tim Curry. :)

Don't lose it. It's always best to have a rational fear of Tim Curry.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Vicissitude posted:

Don't lose it. It's always best to have a rational fear of Tim Curry.

It prequel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fart City posted:

Lol, jesus.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Fart City posted:

A man with an eyepatch saddles up to a soda counter next to Stuttering Bill.

"I'm Humbert Humbert and I'd like to talk to you about The Aatrek Initiative"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am literally psyched about this movie.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

The clown in the Twisted Metal games scared me in the 90s as well.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

RedSpider posted:

The clown in the Twisted Metal games scared me in the 90s as well.

What about the one from Clayfighter?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Man, I really hope we get to see the big birb.

this guy gets it

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That trailer rules

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

One More Fat Nerd posted:

"I'm Humbert Humbert and I'd like to talk to you about The Aatrek Initiative"

they all knew down here

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kevyn posted:

What about the one from Clayfighter?

All the characters in Clayfighter creeped me out. That poo poo was just not right, there was something off about those models that made me uneasy.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
If it doesn't have a gigantic turtle I'm not interested

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Davros1 posted:

They're going to have a clock in the lower right hand corner, counting down to the scene.

I'm told opening night theatres will have live-cast audience reactions fade in and out on the screen with each pump

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Basebf555 posted:

All the characters in Clayfighter creeped me out. That poo poo was just not right, there was something off about those models that made me uneasy.

The snowman was the scariest.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

A Typical Goon posted:

If it doesn't have a gigantic turtle I'm not interested

From the set interviews and such The turtle will not be explicitly involved, but there are several nods to it in the story.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Was that a Lego turtle that Bill drops when he sees Georgie in the house at night? Around the 1:17 mark in the new trailer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Was that a Lego turtle that Bill drops when he sees Georgie in the house at night? Around the 1:17 mark in the new trailer.

I read an article that the turtle will be a Lego and be important at some scene we have to see the movie to know about

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I hope they at least try to keep in most of the cosmic horror elements that make the book so good. Half of what makes it is hearing all the hosed up things that have happened in Derry through the years.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

I hope this film does not inspire copycat killers.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

From the official Twitter:

https://twitter.com/ITMovieOfficial/status/891704953835708416

Heh

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

TomViolence posted:

I hope they at least try to keep in most of the cosmic horror elements that make the book so good. Half of what makes it is hearing all the hosed up things that have happened in Derry through the years.

It seems to go out of it's way to portray something being off with Derry and it's residents. That's hopeful right.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Phi230 posted:

Are they gonna do the gang bang scene

Hey now, you're supposed to dance around it calling it *that scene* apparently!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The thread title should be changed to "no, they're not going to do THAT scene."

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Funny thing was when I first read the book yeeeeeeeaars back I didn't really react particularly strongly to *that scene* being in there and it didn't really stick in my mind or stand out, and when people keep bringing it up I retrospectively sort of just shrug and go "dude was on a whole poo poo ton of drugs, sure it's grody and uncomfortable but it's a paperback horror novel wtf do you expect?" Like on a reread the disturbing thing isn't the child orgy, it's the persistent, lingering male gazey descriptions of Bev doled out in chapters that are clearly written from her (albeit third-person mediated) point of view. It's not necessarily out of character, I guess, internalising her father's misogyny or whatever but that leering, objectifying gaze is really apparent and kind of insidiously gross, in a way that the child orgy didn't really manage to be. I guess the child orgy is grotty and weird and excessive by default and it doesn't really faze me the same way, while the way the narration in Bev's chapters is loaded is kind of jarring and unexpected.

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 31, 2017

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

TomViolence posted:

One of the clips that looked like the movie was going to touch on the Black Spot fire perked my interest since one of the letdowns for me with the miniseries was some of the Derry backhistory they understandably cut for budget, time constraints, and what was possible for special effects then.

I do plan on seeing this at the show, the trailers and footage bits I've seen definitely have my interest perked enough to not wait for streaming, and I am doing the obligatory reread of the book. One thing does have me wondering how it'll play out though. I do understand why they moved the time period up to the 80s, but part of the horror build up for me with the book was it's being set in the 50s as there's the myth of that era being a more innocent time coupled with the reality of societal unpleasantness just not being something talked about in polite company or outright ignored which made the horrific events have that extra punch. While the 70s was my childhood, the 80s seemed more aware for lack of better words as things like Laurie Dann's shooting spree was on the news. Granted this can all be handled with a 'Pennywise's Influence' reasoning, and I'll see how it all handles when I see the movie, but I still wonder how they're going to work it out.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

I think the new timeframe has good odds of working well, personally. The sort of nostalgia people had for the 50s when the book came out is mirrored at least a little in the millenial idealisation of the 80s and early 90s, plus the way I see it the Reagan era has a similar feel of American confidence and braggadocio (however superficial) to the post-war boom years. It'll be interesting to see how differently the film might tackle issues like race, though, given Henry Bowers' chief reason for hating Mike Hanlon is his dad's inveterate racism which, while certainly bad even by 1950s standards, wasn't particularly abnormal in the historical context.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

TomViolence posted:

I think the new timeframe has good odds of working well, personally. The sort of nostalgia people had for the 50s when the book came out is mirrored at least a little in the millenial idealisation of the 80s and early 90s, plus the way I see it the Reagan era has a similar feel of American confidence and braggadocio (however superficial) to the post-war boom years. It'll be interesting to see how differently the film might tackle issues like race, though, given Henry Bowers' chief reason for hating Mike Hanlon is his dad's inveterate racism which, while certainly bad even by 1950s standards, wasn't particularly abnormal in the historical context.

I don't think racism will be handled any differently since Derry's a small town and it's not unheard of for some in those areas to hold on to certain views especially with how the Bowers family's depicted. But the 80s did have sitcoms handling 'serious issues' at times regarding things like molestation, physical abuse and rape. They might not have addressed the issues well and everything gets wrapped up by the end of the episode never to be mentioned again, but that was still more awareness compared to the 50s where things would be left extremely vague if addressed at all.

Again, we'll find out once we see the film. I am looking forward to seeing it on the big screen since even if the era adjusting doesn't pan out, everything I've read looks like they're going to be going into more than what the miniseries covered which I'm really intrigued about.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

TomViolence posted:

Like on a reread the disturbing thing isn't the child orgy

Wow, what a book.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If y'all weren't riding your friends in the dark dank of a sewer when you were 11 then I don't know what the gently caress.

I can only hope your own kids have a more interesting childhood.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I guess it was more of running a train than a gang bang

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

I guess it was more of running a train than a gang bang

Thanks for the clarification.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
What's the difference?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is this really a discussion we need to be having?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I'm curious as to what the run time of this film is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
You know maybe stephen king should rewrite the book and take that part out of it.

• Locked thread