Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm gonna make the august games chat thread.
Not if I make it first

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
But I'm not going to

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

The weird part is they worked on MN9 but I've no idea on what

i think they were mostly lending technical assistance to comcept, since that was at the same time as they were developing azure striker gunvolt and they were probably putting more power into making that

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Please look forward to the reboot of my XCOM2 war effort in two weeks when I come home from Colorado and realize that I haven't had a cat in almost a year.

I'm gonna be scrubbing the character pool because it doesn't seem like a guarantee that my first four guys are gonna be goons, thus making me go "aaaaaa do I turn Pvt. Bob Killington into Lurdiak and risk another Lurdiak showing up as a POW". So everyone will need to sign up again, it's gonna be great

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really digging Pyre so far. I'm a sucker for Supergiant Games largely because I think the settings they make are really cool, and Pyre is no exception. I like that this is quite a bit more dialog-driven than Bastion or Transistor so I have more opportunities to explore the cool world, and so far the rites are really fun.

Kai Tave posted:

As someone who has spent a shameful portion of his life reading, and occasionally even playing, tabletop RPGs overuse of fabricated fantasy languages is absolutely a great way to get peoples' minds to slide right off of something regardless of how simple it might be when you break it down to its roots. While the stereotype is frequently associated with elf-and-sorcery style fantasy settings, probably the most noteworthy offender is/was White Wolf and the World of Darkness games which really popularized Important Capitalized Terminology as well as everything having to have its own special dictionary of fancy-sounding jargon. It's not "magic energy," it's Quintessence. It's not "huge fuckin wolfman," it's Garou (not to be confused with Dalu which is "more like Lon Chaney wolfman than Jon Talbot from Darkstalkers wolfman", also there are three other words for three other states of wolf-to-man ratio).

Yeah, exactly.

The thing with fal'Cie and l'Cie is that the words just sound like nothing, but they also sound similar. It's a really simple concept--fal'Cie are machine gods and they choose l'Cie to carry out missions to advance their agendas--but the terms kind of obfuscate it. People misidentify the problem in FFXIII's writing being that nobody ever explains things, but if they just used terms that weren't essentially random syllables, they wouldn't really need to explain things. Call l'Cie "Chosen" or "Branded," call fal'Cie "Avatars" or something, and I bet it'd all read just as simple as it actually is.

What's interesting is that they actually do okay with this in other parts of the setting. Cocoon, for example, is a great name for a city encased in a protective shell, and also foreshadows the shell being opened in a way that ends up being ultimately positive. Good naming, there.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

Yeah, exactly.

The thing with fal'Cie and l'Cie is that the words just sound like nothing, but they also sound similar. It's a really simple concept--fal'Cie are machine gods and they choose l'Cie to carry out missions to advance their agendas--but the terms kind of obfuscate it. People misidentify the problem in FFXIII's writing being that nobody ever explains things, but if they just used terms that weren't essentially random syllables, they wouldn't really need to explain things. Call l'Cie "Chosen" or "Branded," call fal'Cie "Avatars" or something, and I bet it'd all read just as simple as it actually is.

What's interesting is that they actually do okay with this in other parts of the setting. Cocoon, for example, is a great name for a city encased in a protective shell, and also foreshadows the shell being opened in a way that ends up being ultimately positive. Good naming, there.

It's funny because one of the actual good examples of this in action in the TRPG scene is also a World of Darkness game (a much, much later one, fairly recently made) where everything is done up in espionage tradecraft lingo because the overall pervasive theme of the game is that of fallen "angels" defying their creator's will cast in the mold of a spy thriller. The personas you adopt by cobbling bits of peoples' souls together into a functional existence complete with its own history? Those are your Covers. When you drop all pretense and adopt your crazy biomechanical true form to push someone's poo poo in? That's called Going Loud. It reinforces and enriches the themes and tone the game is striving for and manages to do it all without resorting to made-up apostrophized nonsense or faux Latin.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Harrow posted:

Really digging Pyre so far. I'm a sucker for Supergiant Games largely because I think the settings they make are really cool, and Pyre is no exception.

I really love Transistor. Of my friends, I'm the only one that likes it. They all think the sword voice is "creepy" and "off putting"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I will say that FF13 would have been improved if it was all framed as the robo-dons making offers that can't be refused.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

I really love Transistor. Of my friends, I'm the only one that likes it. They all think the sword voice is "creepy" and "off putting"

I like Transistor a lot. The combat is fun, the music owns, and I love its setting. I want to know more about Cloudbank and how it all works. I guess I can see how the Transistor's voice could be a little creepy--Logan Cunningham speaks with a really flat tone in that role--but I think it's completely intentional and effective.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Guys, I'm going to make the August thread. I have a poll in mind

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

And now FAK and Jay Rust have to FIGHT IT OUT

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Guys, I'm going to make the August thread. I have a poll in mind

I'm frightened.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I skipped like 50 posts, if FAK called dibs then I will bow out

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Now you two need to team up instead and make a really cool thread together

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm gonna make the august games chat thread.

I'm gonna do it because I know exactly what the thread title needs to be.

Make sure you mention the most important game release of August.

GOTY contender

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

HMS Beagle posted:

Make sure you mention the most important game release of August.

GOTY contender

Is she having another kid?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Jay Rust posted:

I skipped like 50 posts, if FAK called dibs then I will blow out

I've been watching too much Arrested Development

though Tobias might also use the term 'curtsy'

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Now you two need to team up instead and make a really cool thread together

gently caress no now they have to fight it out

first we need to know what ogre battle class/monster are they

the fate of zetigamesia lies in the balance.....

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man the cruise ship palace in Persona 5 is long as hell. Still managed to get to the treasure in one go but it was getting g close by the end

For anyone that's gotten this far, I assume getting the treasure will give me the usual amount of free time before the due date and won't just skip forward or something, correct?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I have a vague understanding of where the Crash Bandicoot thing came from (born from a lets play of it from OneyNG) but I am glad it is a thing that exists. It is a good meme. A+ meme

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
August's august posts

Or

August's AUG-est posts

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Awkward/Ugly/Games Megathread

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
August is my birthday month so please title the thread "AUGUST GAMES CHAT - Happy Birthday CJacobs :)" thank you :)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Convert our respective usernames into mp3 files and feed them into one of the various different games that use audio files to generate characters/creatures/monsters

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is she having another kid?

:yeah:

Jay Rust posted:

Does your poll require the thread title

cause I don't mind you having the poll if I can have the thread title

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

CJacobs posted:

August is my birthday month so please title the thread "AUGUST GAMES CHAT - Happy Birthday CJacobs :)" thank you :)

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

August Chat Thread: Happy Birthday Olive

:colbert: / :hfive:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Then this month should've been "were you really telling the truth or did July, the birthday month of Strix, happy birthday!"

Also, happy early birthday CJacobs!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
If you save my avatar and change the extension to .wav it makes a pretty decent level for Bangai-O Spirits

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

Man the cruise ship palace in Persona 5 is long as hell. Still managed to get to the treasure in one go but it was getting g close by the end

For anyone that's gotten this far, I assume getting the treasure will give me the usual amount of free time before the due date and won't just skip forward or something, correct?

Getting the clear path to the treasure room still leaves you with free time once you leave. Once you send the calling card, you are forced to clear it the next day so keep that in mind. But other than that you have free time to do whatever until the deadline.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 31, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

glam rock hamhock posted:

Correct. You'll be treated to the usual "we'll have to see if it worked" song and dance and can spend your days as you please

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I thought you liked games but august wrong

Okay that's my dad joke contribution seeya next month!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Then this month should've been "were you really telling the truth or did July, the birthday month of Strix, happy birthday!"

everyone knows the best birthdays are in july

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

everyone knows the best birthdays are in july

Agreed

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

:respek:

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thanks! Happy late birthday StrixNebulosa :hfive:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Are y'all talking about that anime game where you shoot women with a love gun

I had no idea what this was but fortunately Google has so advanced the science of finding out what the gently caress Japan is up to now that I literally just said "ok google that anime game where you shoot women with a love gun" and instantly got educated. E: by kotaku of course

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 31, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

McSpanky posted:

I had no idea what this was but fortunately Google has so advanced the science of finding out what the gently caress Japan is up to now that I literally just said "ok google that anime game where you shoot women with a love gun" and instantly got educated. E: by kotaku of course
i think japan is up to being a country comprised of millions of people, 99.9% of whom would think that poo poo is weird too

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Thanks! Happy late birthday StrixNebulosa :hfive:

Actually not late, my birthday's happening now :buddy:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Happy birthday Strix!! :D

And happy early birthday to Olive and CJacobs! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

August contains my half-birthday so, you know...

• Locked thread